• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Being AD is inherently better than being AP with the way the game is designed. Investing in AD not only powers up your spells, but also powers up your auto attacks. That not only makes your trades better, because a trade in lane normally consists of spells plus autos, so by investing in AD you hit two birds with one stone, but it also makes you do more damage on turrets and makes last hitting a lot easier. Your main source of damage is targeted, costs no resources, has no cooldown, procs additional effects for free and is also a free form of sustain/healing thanks to lifesteal. You also do more damage to neutral monsters. On top of all this, every champion in the game has innate AD and AS scaling, yet there is no AP scaling, and you start the game with 0 AP if you do not invest in AP either through runes/masteries or starting items.

Pretty much the only reason why it's worth running AP on a team is so that the enemy is forced to invest more gold and item slots into defences, due to having to itemise for both armour and magic resistance. If resistances didn't exist, and the only form of defence was health, there would be no reason to use APs. The one thing that APs are probably meant to have over ADs is waveclear, but a lot of AD spells are AOE, and even if an AD champ doesn't have AOE damage there are items that make your auto attacks do AOE damage anyway.

Pretty much any AP champ in the game would be better if their damage was AD instead.
BS, inherent AD scaling is easily taken care of by by character design and itemization and there is.

The thing is most AD casters are assassins, and assassins are generally able to gib carries if they're equal or ahead. Zed's so strong because he has good farming tools and waveclear while being an assassin, so he's neither vulnerable to being pushed in nor harassed (either under tower or while CSing). This is true both early and late and where a lot of his power relative to say, talon has. The only way kha works is his all-ins are really powerful early but he's vulnerable to being denied and harassed like talon. Not as much a problem for jungler though, so maybe weak laning phase asassins are gonna increasingly move to the jump with the reworked jungle items.

So ya, zed is strong because he pretty much negates the normal disadvantages an assassin has.

And ya, when sieging or being sieged aoe autos don't help much if you're melee.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Well, to be fair, Zed might as well be ranged.

Kha'Zix pre-nerfs was also basically ranged.

Also Mystery Gifting is here forever nao. Might go spam some of that on some people.

Okuser

Smash Ace
BS, inherent AD scaling is easily taken care of by by character design and itemization and there is.

The thing is most AD casters are assassins, and assassins are generally able to gib carries if they're equal or ahead. Zed's so strong because he has good farming tools and waveclear while being an assassin, so he's neither vulnerable to being pushed in nor harassed (either under tower or while CSing). This is true both early and late and where a lot of his power relative to say, talon has..

zed gets **** on in the early levels, outpoked and outpushed by the OP/FOTM mids right now: gragas, ziggs, kayle. but after you get your items you can outplay and kill, or before if they misplay.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I feel like Ziggs beats Zed until 6, and then Zed can just 100-0 him with his good stats and scaling.

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Finished my provisional ranked games and ended up in Plat 3. Kinda cool since I stopped at Plat 5 last season.
Perhaps Diamond is something I'll consider shooting for. Not like I have any reason not to. :applejack:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
zed gets **** on in the early levels, outpoked and outpushed by the OP/FOTM mids right now: gragas, ziggs, kayle. but after you get your items you can outplay and kill, or before if they misplay.
Wouldn't disagree, sort of in season now. More talking about Zed in particular seems to always be in season as an AD caster, because he's the best at pushing and farming.

And ya, kayle was BS before Zed was even in the game.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Shaco never had mana problems if you knew what you're doing.
Even if you knew what you're doing, you definitely have mana problems, blue or not. Doesn't help a single decieve takes almost half his mana pool until like level 4 it doesn't do that anymore. (not decieve level 4, just level 4 in general)

I think S4 changes have hurt him more than helped him because you now need to do three camps to get to level 3. That's a huge nerf to Shaco because he was the best jungler in the game at clearing his blue really quickly then stealing the enemy jungler's red and first blooding them when they came to check it.
S4 definitely nerfed him, but my playstyle with Shaco has always been red buff and gank mid immediately than do my own blue and I tend to get level 3 cause of the 2 or 3 cs from mid I get experience from. So that's how I solved that problem of no level 3.

He still has the same problems that he did before, namely that he can't teamfight and he struggles to recover if he falls behind because unlike other assassin junglers he has a poor clear. Whilst the changes to pinks do technically help him, they don't change much in reality because you should be ganking through the lane 90% of the time anyway.
Teamfighting you should barely do with shaco unless you're around for it so might as well. He's always been about splitpushing.

To help with poor clear you just go tiamat to solve that problem, but that also implies you want to jungle more rather than ganking.
When it comes to all the shaco players like Qdolla Beautiful Korean youngMINI etc. The only Shaco that continues going BORK is BK. Tiamat I see is an item that just brings out faster clears and sure you can gank too while also having a camp or so clear and maybe being a level higher cause of it, but if the active for it doesn't kill immediately than you prolly won't be able to stick to the target and they get away.

Which is why I go greaves > cutlass. Sure my clear is slower cause no AOE with autos, but I at least have an active that'll allow me to stick to the character now and do damage but just not as much as Tiamat would.

If comparing the final upgrade, bork also speeds up with active now helping with being stuck onto the enemy more now, 40% AS and also the lifesteal being a tad higher but just not as much AD though sacrifice that for % damage now.

I think his biggest problem is that he's not a true assassin. He's not an AD caster that can 100-0 a squishy in one combo. He's kind of a cross between an assassin and a melee ADC because he relies on his auto attack for damage.
Oh he's an assassin alright and he can 100-0 people still, just he can't freely press R on somebody and walk away laughing until the splat happens.

If we compare any other assassins outside of zed just pressing R to get out of melee range, kha'zix still has to jump in your face to deal damage and if he doesn't kill he gets no resets.

Rengar (if the poor soul is going full ad) is most likely gonna pop you like Zed but just without being unable to escape unless he's cop and literally a full screen away from his team.

Eve has to use ult to engage then her slow removing speed up to quickly get up to you.

Well actually this is kinda pointless, almost all the assassins need to be in your face to kill you. Just when it comes to the most popular assassins that can go full damage, kill someone, and get away. People only choose zed and kha'zix now cause ahri jax Rengar Eve irelia and such has been nerfed one too many times.

Only assassin I can think of that can get in your face and kill you while walking away unharmed is prolly a tank Vi with Elder lizard or just a couple of D blades.

you and slush both think you can get diamond. i'm not buying it. but i'll be impressed if you do.
Why not?
I mean I can see both of us prolly clamping around Plat 2/1 or even 3 cause we haven't played another ranked to see how many points every win, but still why?

john!

Smash Hero
was talking about this post: http://smashboards.com/threads/league-of-legends-lcs-begins-1-14.283410/page-1488#post-16173989

again, not saying you can't or that you're not good enough, but nobody's going to believe you without actual results.

mostly it's the double standards; people here freak the **** out when i post statistics of me going like 0 wins 8 losses on corki with a great k/d/a, saying i probably should win some of those games, and then don't bat an eye when ppl go around saying they could be diamond -_-

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Why is Trundle not played?
he is?
he's been seeing fairly regular LCS play up top lane to counter things like Olaf/Mundo/Shyv
robs all their stats, peels them off of carries, never dies... he's in a good place now
his only problem is his wave clear, so he really needs to be forcing fights but he's good at that because Pillar and BotRK catches people out easily

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Sinister Slush sounds like a douche, just sayin'

Trundle seems to be really popular in the LCS atm

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
desuuuu nooooooo

Sinister Slush sounds like a douche, just sayin'
HE'S OUR DOUCHE THOUGH.

Honestly, Shaco is awesome at a certain point of the game in pushing down towers with his team. Place jitbs behind your team and keep advancing your line forward. It's almost as dumb as Thresh's lantern!

Basically you don't lose as Shaco mid-game onwards if you have Caitlyn, Jinx or Tristana and any ANY form whatsoever of a front line (Renekton is pretty perfect). Team's can't punish or initiate on a team with a line of jitbs behind them. Prep time Shaco beats all

Last edited:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's not really about an ego or the like though. It's just a bit of confidence. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get Diamond, but at the same time, I'm definitely playing around the upper Plat-Lower Diamond range as is. Seems like a reasonable goal.
:applejack:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Goals are great to set!

My goal this year is platinum, but it depends on how lazy I am with playing ranked. :3

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
HE'S OUR DOUCHE THOUGH.
I will fight you for owner ship of that douche yo. <3

So, hey. Still new to this game n ****, but I feel like I finally got a nice grasp on how it's meant to be played. And i'm curious. How do ya'll feel about Nasus? All I hear is complaints about the guy being OP because no one can deny him farm early game. Is this true, or are the people i'm listening to just hamming it up?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yes, Nasus is stupid atm, no matter how hard you thrash him in lane he will eventually come back at the 30-40 minute mark and just destroy your team. You can't even just group and end earlier due to how Riot has made it that games take at least 30 minutes now unless all three lanes and jungle get absolutely crushed.

Edit: or if you have an equally strong hyper carry or they surrender idk

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nasus is doable, but extremely annoying to deal with, and in combination with solo q mentalities, he's such a safe pick that just infinitely scales until he can delete your carry with one Q.

He's banned here and there though, so that kinda helps the issue out. :applejack:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Too bad mercury treads and/or early QSS or the support getting that chalice upgrade is too far out of the mainstream build paths for people to ever consider their existence.Like, I literally came from an era where the only boot upgrade option was Mercury treads unless you were Jax. The day I see ranged carries build mercury treads is the day that things start actually getting harder for the dog.

Nasus problems doe? Pick Anivia and Skarner. Throw in Ashe with cleanse and that dog is super ****ed.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If there is a Nasus on the enemy team, I cringe when the opposite team's ADC doesn't bother going Cleanse.

I mean, I know Barrier's god, but I'd rather have an insta-slow removal in teamfights over a shield that Nasus is going to explode through anyways. It's the sacrifice you gotta deal with in lane phase. Just silly how a lot of players don't care to look for the long term advantages.

:applejack:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Lol. I can see that. I haven't lost as Nasus yet, even though i feel the players i've fought are more experienced then me. It feels like so long as you just don't die early on and hold your lane your going to be an absolute beast towards end game. By the time players are high enough level to actually do significant damage to nasus he's already become a threat and it just goes up from there~

Nice to know there's atleast a few counterpicks against him though. and I still think he gets kited pretty hard so long as they can stay outta wither range.

Top Bottom