• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I bought ez like last friday and played him a **** ton this weekend. My general build was wriggles, brutalizer, sheen, phage, zeal, triforce, ghostblade then situational. I enjoy his kiting. He's excellent at poking people down until he can out dps them for the kill. Arcane shift gives excellent maneuverability and is a solid nuke as well. I really like wriggle's in lane because you can basically outlane anyone with it. Once you get it you can play extremely aggressively and either repeatedly force your opponent back or kill them.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Just recently started to play LoL per the recommendation of some friends.
I got very excited last night when on my way to the Poke Center I saw that SWF had a LoL thread.

Can't really say I have a group of main champs yet. For a while I was spending my IP on the champs that looked cool to me, but I've recently started to save IP because I know I'll need to get runes pretty soon (up to level 15 playing on and off for a couple of weeks). I have the most fun playing champs like Olaf or Udyr, so I guess I'll ask this in regards to them.

Is there a realistic way to jungle without the proper runes/masteries in an effective/fast way?
I find that I just don't have a high enough damage output, or enough health at level 1 to clear a path without taking up essentially taking up the entire laning phase.
If I'm just doing normal ques as Udyr for example I make myself lane for the first few levels because it has been just as fast but safer than trying to jungle for the first few levels. Not until like level 4 do I go to grab blue/red to gank.

I would consider Udyr to be the prime candidate for my eventual main (no other champ gives a similar experience to playing Udyr), so I guess the question would be mostly directed towards him. I have tried Phoenix jungling, Tiger jungling, and Turtle jungling but nothing is a healthy combination of safe and reasonably quick in my experience at my level. I hope that I'm just doing things wrong, because I always dislike having to lane for those first few levels before I can actually take on the jungle safely.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
personally I've always done ghostblade -> LW, but triforce is just too fun

I'll try toying around with IE and BT later

thanks for the discussion guys lol
ghostblade is mostly a waste on Ezreal unless you took teleport/rally and need an escape mechanism :troll:

Ezreal is a very hard character to catch in the first place, behind a team, his q will be doing 25 less damage than a BT (a fully stacked BT though, the strain on the team for you having to farm that back up again if you die is noticeable). He can arcane if someone like xin/shaco says hello (insta arcane being more helpful here than many other blinks) and generally I find at that point you get lots of auto attacks in.

His Q isn't what it used to be, and unless you're up against opponents with no HP, the 200 damage potshots that you 'may' get on squishies is hardly noticeable. For him to be an effective damage carry he needs to be using auto attacks.
if you're only hitting for 200 with Q, you're doin' it wrong. Even with just sheen + brutalizer, Ezreal should be poking people for close to 300. I'm not saying that Ez never auto-attacks, I'm just saying that a very large part of his damage output comes from an ability that doesn't scale off of crit.

Yes to all. ... What are we voting for?

Edit: Mogwai, what Trundle builds have you seen so far that work well? I usually go the Wriggles, Mercs, Shurelya's, and Spirit Visage build to play tank support. Seems to work very well.
I used to run Omen + Ghostblade + Reverie into Triforce for maximum :troll:, but the good players seem to do wriggles -> a little bit of tankiness -> triforce -> lotsa tankiness.

I bought ez like last friday and played him a **** ton this weekend. My general build was wriggles, brutalizer, sheen, phage, zeal, triforce, ghostblade then situational. I enjoy his kiting. He's excellent at poking people down until he can out dps them for the kill. Arcane shift gives excellent maneuverability and is a solid nuke as well. I really like wriggle's in lane because you can basically outlane anyone with it. Once you get it you can play extremely aggressively and either repeatedly force your opponent back or kill them.
Wriggle's first builds only work in lane if you're playing the type of game where laning lasts for 20 minutes. In real games you really don't want to delay your core that long.

Is there a realistic way to jungle without the proper runes/masteries in an effective/fast way?
I find that I just don't have a high enough damage output, or enough health at level 1 to clear a path without taking up essentially taking up the entire laning phase.
If I'm just doing normal ques as Udyr for example I make myself lane for the first few levels because it has been just as fast but safer than trying to jungle for the first few levels. Not until like level 4 do I go to grab blue/red to gank.

I would consider Udyr to be the prime candidate for my eventual main (no other champ gives a similar experience to playing Udyr), so I guess the question would be mostly directed towards him. I have tried Phoenix jungling, Tiger jungling, and Turtle jungling but nothing is a healthy combination of safe and reasonably quick in my experience at my level. I hope that I'm just doing things wrong, because I always dislike having to lane for those first few levels before I can actually take on the jungle safely.
The short answer to your problems is that most junglers just shouldn't jungle until level 20 with ok runes and masteries. At 20 you can get some flat armor seals and run 1/9/10 and get by with most legit junglers, but before that I just recommend jungling with WW, Nunu, or Fiddle only.

:troll:

I bought Trundle yesterday, I've been going the ol' wriggles triforce build. Seems to work alright.
yea, this seems to be the most popular one and it's good IMO.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
the reason I don't like that build is that it's a strictly late game build, whereas I think Ezreal's strongest section of the game is early-mid game. IE + LW is the basis for the strongest possible late game with pretty much all ranged carries, but with Ez I'm looking to abuse them well before I've farmed 6K gold.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Woo broke 1500 solo queue. Pretty much winning 3:1 right now I'm expecting a drop soon though.

My buddy has vent though and so usually it ends up turning into triple or quadra queue which really isn't fair. I guess it's kind of cheating?

Pretty much facerolling with Urgot ATM, though champs packing a Doran's shield are starting to give me trouble.
wait, I thought you couldn't triple or quadra q in ranked? did that get changed? 0_o

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, early game sheen is quite strong. And his early-mid game capabilities are one of the strongest. For the most part though, I'm constantly building damage on Ezreal - which coincides with his strong early game anyway. You get to 75 attack damage with BF + Pick before you'd get that bloodthirster.

And... bleh... still kinda disagree on mystic shot being his main damage... I just find it too hard to carry relying on it solely, even early/mid game. I've gone through hundreds of ranked games with Ezreal, trying soooo many build paths. Once any fight starts he needs to be auto attacking, lest a similarly farmed enemy carry will be getting a lot more damage in than you will.

jpak

Smash Lord
I'll keep that in mind for when I'm playing really well. Anyone have any thoughts on champions that are under the radar that have some nice potential?
alistar (getting more attention), blitz, cass, irelia (getitng more attention), karthus, lux, malzahar, poppy (have to get a good early game), renekton, singed( getting more attention), swain, teemo, and trundle

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Yes, ask travis about what my Alistar did to his poor Jax last night. ;)

Irelia is no longer under the radar. I've been told she is a frequent ban now in higher elo matches. I'm pretty sure most people know how gross Karthus, Malz and Singed can be already too.

Trundle is still under the radar and is really very good. He jungles at high health, has CC reduction, a wall to protect/block/split and can ruin a tank or a carry in team fights. Swain is great in combination with more CC but can't carry on his own. I've started to hear complaints that Renekton is just too good in a 1v1, so he might be a good solo lane champ.

Hard disagree on Poppy though. If she gets fed, she can wreck faces, but its really hard to get fed with her. I don't think she is under the radar so much as she is incredibly difficult to reach her max potential.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So I've decided to pick up Alistar since at my current elo a common ban roster will look like Rammus, Shen, Malphite, and Amumu (read: every tank I play). I know the cow is good, so I figure I'm only hurting myself if I don't learn him.

What's his skill order? What's his build?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Cow's builds are incredibly flexible.

Reep advocates a Triforce based build that he describes as Tanky DPS
Last time I saw jiji dominate with cow he went DFG -> deathcap (AP)
I've also seen Aura-whoring tanks (SS/Frozen Heart + Aegis)

Because of his ult, if you're just good about timing the ult, you can fullfill the tanking role pretty much regardless of items, so everyone does something different based on what they feel comfortable with.

jpak

Smash Lord
regi in tourney for clg went merc, sheen, banshee and went like 0/0/10. dont know the order of his build but i'd imagine it was boots + pot + ward, catalyst, merc, sheen or sheen before merc. he specd 0/16/14

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The short answer to your problems is that most junglers just shouldn't jungle until level 20 with ok runes and masteries. At 20 you can get some flat armor seals and run 1/9/10 and get by with most legit junglers, but before that I just recommend jungling with WW, Nunu, or Fiddle only.
This was the answer I was kind of expecting but hoping to not receive :urg:
Appreciate the response though.

Hopefully I can get some more playtime in to unlock the tier 3 runes quickly. Can't wait to start playing my favorites the way they should be played/I want to play them.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

Hopefully I can get some more playtime in to unlock the tier 3 runes quickly. Can't wait to start playing my favorites the way they should be played/I want to play them.
I mean, you can jungle with udyr without any runes and just smite mastery, but it's so very slow and inefficient. iirc, you start cloth + hp pots and the do wraiths (start by smiting the big one) -> wolves -> small gols (smite should come up for this) -> back for another cloth armor and as many pots as you can -> wolves again -> blue -> wraiths -> red -> gols, with RWRWRE for your first 6 skills (hence slow awful gank because you need the turtle to not slow down in the jungle).

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
So Prom queen annie dropped and I immediately bought it....Tuxedo tibbers looks more like thug tibbers...lol

also whats the best way to get a super high amount of AP

i hit like 700 the other day and I had

Sorc -> Mejais with a bunch of stacks -> AA -> Rylais -> Death Cap...by that time the game was over but I think if i would have got a rod of agest after Mejais and before AA that would've put me in the 1000 area?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Pretty sure we got a different moo.
damn, that sucks. moo was the man, his yoshi combos were so fly.

So Prom queen annie dropped and I immediately bought it....Tuxedo tibbers looks more like thug tibbers...lol

also whats the best way to get a super high amount of AP

i hit like 700 the other day and I had

Sorc -> Mejais with a bunch of stacks -> AA -> Rylais -> Death Cap...by that time the game was over but I think if i would have got a rod of agest after Mejais and before AA that would've put me in the 1000 area?
way to highest AP is 5 Archangels + Deathcap, but that's a stupid :troll: build.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer

I can help you! I was just like you back when I started. First champ was Garen, second was Udyr. I had so much fun with Udyr but was sad cause I couldn't jungle right with him. I didn't have any runes nor enough masteries.

What level are you right now?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Just started ranked games on my smurf. Willing to duo que if someone wants to play. Get some rating =D
Playing pirate 100%!

Add n00bfluff in game, just started a game.
you gotta be sure to troll especially hard in some of your early games so that your smurf doesn't climb too fast. I remember being like 1500 after 4 or 5 games and then freaked out and trolled really hard to keep my elo low enough that I wouldn't have to tryhard all the time on my smurf :p.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
@I_Am_Plum

Assuming you are at least level 9, try this build. Took me a while to get right cause you have to manage your mana perfectly ;)

For masteries go 0/X/9: putting 3 in Perseverence, 4 in Awareness, and 1 in Utility Mastery. Put any remaining in Defense Tree, Prioritize Armor then Strength of Spirit then Defensive Mastery and Harden Skin.

• First trip, Lv3, finish 3:25
  • Start by taking Cloth armor and 3 Health Pots.
  • Use Tiger stance at fountain.
  • Goto wolf camp: Hit the big wolf first, wait for 2 complete attacks then activate Tiger. Use 1 more Tiger on a smaller wolf. Use 1 pot while fighting wolves.
  • Goto wraith camp: Smite big wraith, level up Turtle, and use it right away! Don't use any more abilities. Use 1 pot while fighting wraiths.
  • Goto double golem camp: Use Tiger, wait as long as possible before your Monkey Agility runs out then use Turtle. Again wait and then use Tiger. Use 1 pot while fighting golems. Back after camp

• Second trip, Lv 5, finish around 7:00
  • Buy Rejuvenation Bead and 5 Health Pots.
  • Use Tiger stance at fountain.
  • Goto blue golem: Hit big golem first, wait for 2 complete attacks, then activate Tiger. Follow up with Turtle then Tiger then one more Turtle. Smite blue golem when he hits 500ish hp. Use 1 Health pot at this camp.
  • Goto wolves: Tiger > Turtle > Tiger > Turtle. Use 1 Health Pot.
  • Goto wraiths: Tiger > Turtle > Tiger > Turtle. Use 1 Health Pot.
  • Goto red lizard: Tiger > Turtle > Tiger > Turtle > Tiger > Turtle. Smite when around 5:20. Use 1 Health Pot.
  • Goto double golems: Tiger > Turtle > Tiger > Turtle (or skip the send tiger and add in another turtle if low on health). Use 1 Health pot.

You should be at 2/3 to 3/4 health or more at this point. Go gank bot or mid. Use Ghost if you know you are going to get a kill, otherwise save it. If you can't gank, you can back and buy a Heart of Gold, or if you want Boots and some wards.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I can help you! I was just like you back when I started. First champ was Garen, second was Udyr. I had so much fun with Udyr but was sad cause I couldn't jungle right with him. I didn't have any runes nor enough masteries.

What level are you right now?
I'm only level 15 right now, but hoping to get another level in tonight.

UTDZac, I've seen you post on the LoL forums and I knew I knew the name from somewhere. Didn't realize it was SWF :awesome:

EDIT:
I need to refresh pages before I post... because there is a wall of awesome with my name on it.
Thank you so much for helping me. When I was trying to figure out a safe enough run I would start Wolves > Wraiths but clear out the Wraiths. It was probably clearing them out that left me with not enough health to do the Golems. I'll give that route some runs and see how it improves things.

Top Bottom