• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Sooo in the tier list topic there's been a discussion about the implementations of shield DI into the metagame.

Are there any Dedede's that currently do this? He seems like he would benefit from successful utilization quite a bit, as there are already limited attacks we cannot shieldgrab.
The downside seems to be it requires either good reaction or a sharp prediction to be able to perform...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZeUndPaX4

Sorry if it's not too good a question...

Coney

Smash Master
no, that's a fine question

i don't do it myself but that was mostly because i didn't see a need for it, really. after seeing that MK fsmash shieldgrab, and being in similar situations against both his fsmash and dsmash, it's a great tool i'm gonna start implementing

definitely one of the few things ddd has worth practicing

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
damn thats looks pretty useful, esp. in the situations where ur at kill % and all mk does is just spam d-smash like 3 times in a row or f-smash to space out>d-smash

I don't currently do this but I didn't even know about this, good find

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Quik question bout Rainbow Cruise, besides the inifinite on the wall on the boat and being able to take advantage of d3's air game in general, is the any other reasons why this is a good pick? I usually do well there, I just wanted to make sure I was't missing anything.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
I thought I might decide to start using Dedede again, so can someone please tell me if it's better to learn timings for infinites like Donkey Kong or just mash to grab button? Thanks in advance. :p

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
First infinites are banned worldwide now. Doesn't hurt to learn but at the same time you will never use them in a competitive tournament.

2nd believing that King Dedede is only about grabs is a recipe for failure. Being a good Dedede player means utilizing all of your options and entire moveset to the fullest. You need to learn what Dedede is all about.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
I thought I might decide to start using Dedede again, so can someone please tell me if it's better to learn timings for infinites like Donkey Kong or just mash to grab button? Thanks in advance. :p
I just mash grab. But TC is right, it's pretty much globally banned (as far as legit tournaments go) so it's not that useful to practice.
You need to learn what Dedede is all about.
Spoiler Alert
It's back-air.

someonerandom

Smash Journeyman
First infinites are banned worldwide now. Doesn't hurt to learn but at the same time you will never use them in a competitive tournament.

2nd believing that King Dedede is only about grabs is a recipe for failure. Being a good Dedede player means utilizing all of your options and entire moveset to the fullest. You need to learn what Dedede is all about.
I never said that I thought Dedede was all about the grabbing...

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I just mash grab. But TC is right, it's pretty much globally banned (as far as legit tournaments go) so it's not that useful to practice.

Spoiler Alert
It's back-air.
Thanks for the ruining the secret Fizzle lol

But don't forget about F-Smash also... :awesome:

@Random: The wording of your post made it sound like such.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
I can kinda relate to that when I started to play d3, but ounce you get more confortable with his moveset, you can see how formiddible he is without grabs, with them everything is gravy. On a side note, standing infinites arn't banned in MLG if I'm correct?

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
I found a couple recent videos for critique, if anyone wants to take a few shots at my penguin D:

VS: Mike2(Metaknight) ((definitely not his main. ....yet? :o ))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gj--q1ZM60

VS SkyPirateCoud (Kirby) ((also not main))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9i5mjJWhPY

VS RedShadow (Wario) ((with 2 more in related videos))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFBo0s_XVU
(((the three of these wario replays may not be as useful for critiquing, as I was making it a point to not CG or grab release EVERY time I had an opportunity, mostly to practice the rest of the moveset.)))

I would have more but... seems like people only tend to upload the doubles replays so far, lol.

Doc King

Smash Lord
I actually discovered some new infinites with Dedede that I think can work.

After you down throw, dash dance forward and back from your opponent and then pivot grab and you can infinite some characters like Bowser and Yoshi in flat stages and Ganon, Wario, ROB, and Charizard on slanted stages like Yoshi's Island. You can also do this technique as a grab release infinite against Ness and Lucas.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
I think it's like... you can grab him on the first frame of his spot dodge, and then immediately once the spot dodge ends, as Dedede has no moves or actions that have invincibility active on the first frame.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Wouldn't that leave 1 frame to grab him then? The video says 2. : confuggled:
since grabs are active for 2 frames you have 2 chances to grab that one frame, thus 2 frames to grab him.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
d'oh, that makes sense. Tethers last a bit longer don't they? I've had Olimar's grab me after spotdodges end because of how long his grab hitbox is out - it's frustrating.

knche

Smash Cadet
I found a couple recent videos for critique, if anyone wants to take a few shots at my penguin D:

VS: Mike2(Metaknight) ((definitely not his main. ....yet? :o ))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gj--q1ZM60

VS SkyPirateCoud (Kirby) ((also not main))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9i5mjJWhPY

VS RedShadow (Wario) ((with 2 more in related videos))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFBo0s_XVU
(((the three of these wario replays may not be as useful for critiquing, as I was making it a point to not CG or grab release EVERY time I had an opportunity, mostly to practice the rest of the moveset.)))

I would have more but... seems like people only tend to upload the doubles replays so far, lol.

Bad mk LOL

try jump a little more.... mindgame ;D

Kite0692

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh Best way to get back to the stage?? Im maining *DDD*. Need soma help

*Edit*

D throw to Dtilt on Snake on the edge of battlefield or Smashville kills around which %?

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Get up attack at over 100% is decent, ledgejump dair might work once or twice, ledgehop airdodge onto stage is alright but any attack that hits your shield will just push you back off unless you move forwards so mixups are required...

If DIed well, it won't kill Snake until 190-200%

Mike2

Smash Ace
I need to ask here coz I can't find the answer.
DDD has a small step CG on Snake, right?

I thought he did now I'm not sure.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Uhhh Best way to get back to the stage?? Im maining *DDD*. Need soma help

*Edit*

D throw to Dtilt on Snake on the edge of battlefield or Smashville kills around which %?
Another way that'll work ounce or twice is up-b and aim your hop as if you're going for a hit, then cancel it a few frames before you'd actually hit and DI to the ledge. Pretty decent mind-game because the time between you cancelling the up-b and grabbing the ledge is pretty minuscule due to Dedede's fast-fall. Overall you just got to mix it up and make yourself as unpredictable as possible to avoid getting punished.

Top Bottom