• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Quick question, is picto a good pick for Dedede? I can see it as decent due to its overall flatness and maybe an infinite on a transformation or two. To be honest I've never spent much time on it. I'm guessing a neutral pick.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Its REALLY character/style dependent.

But overall its a neutral.

Pros:

- We are very good at utilizing the hazards. Our sick grab range assists us in this. I cant tell you how many times Ive tossed someone into a Pirranha Plant or gotten some wall infinites off.

- The ground is REALLY low. As a result its really hard to kill us off the top. It also makes it easier to return to the stage (one of major weaknesses)

- The stage transformations can help us escape some bad situations.

Cons:

- We're a big target. You have to be aware of whats going on or you can easily get hit into hazards. Or if you're not aware of whats around you and have to dodge hazards out of shock the opponent can take advantage of this.

- The ceiling being high also limits our Up-Tilt..one our best killers. You may also find it harder killing in general without the use of hazards.

- The stage being flat can hurt us against those who camp really well.

When I use this stage:

Metaknights. Its hard for them to kill us here. The constantly changing environment limits their air game and can put them at risk of getting hit by something stupid. If you stay on the ground you have a less chance of being hit by the bull****. We go even on the ground with MK and have better tools for throwing him into hazardous ****. I believe 6 out of 27 phases have damage dealing hazards. Also we can still tech chase him and some of the walls can limit his options for escaping.

Also its difficult for him to kill us by himself. He will attempt to just throw you off the stage and gimp you but if you're smart you can make it back. The good part of about this stage's ground being so low is that you don't have to worry about grabbing a ledge 90% of the time if you have use Up-B. Just don't get predictable.

Against characters we can CG there is always a better option. Delfino, Siege, PS1 and Cruise all take advantage of our CG much better.

This is more of stage youd take someone you can't CG and don't really know where to take them. Especially characters that have issues killing. We can actually live a LONG time here avoiding the BS. Ive beaten MKs and Pikachus here (they love to take me here lol). Learn this stage. All the phases..where the safe spot is..everything.

Any other questions?

T-block

B2B TST
Hey guys, can someone pull up a list of frame advantage on d-throw for me? I've done some looking but I can't seem to find it. I'm only interested in the CG'able characters. Thanks :)

ZTD | TECHnology

I have searched these archives up and down and can't find any frame data. I need to collect it for my upcoming guide. I was going to see if I could get a researcher friend on the job.

:phone:

T-block

B2B TST
I can collect it for you guys then. I'm doing related research that would involve me finding out anyways. I'm surprised no one has already done the work yet though...

ZTD | TECHnology

Well I found some data in Buuman's thread but its like half done. It doesnt give us any information on the frame advantage of Dthrow also. But its the only source of frame data we have. If you could PM me your results I will give you credit and apply the info towards my guide.

EDIT: Our boards are REALLY DEAD. As a result we're behind on a lot of stuff. Its my goal to change this though.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
If you tell me the software you need to collect such data, I'd be happy to try to help get some of it. As long as it doesn't need homebrew I should be set.

T-block

B2B TST
You don't need homebrew, but you do need to run codes on your Wii (smash stack). All you need is the frame advance code, then find the first actionable frame after being hit by d-throw.

resTy

Smash Champion
Can Dedede get out of the tornado once he's already inside? I can't get it to work.

What is the best way to deal with tornado? Moves that beat tornado?

Thanks, folks.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
when ur in nado, u cant do anything about it, just hold up while inside the nado so that you get shot up so u can maneuver around afterwards(unless of course the nado is near a blast zone).

Things that beat nado, when the nado is on the ground, dtilt or dsmash it(although I personally don't rely on dsmash against nado). When the nado is in range, you can also up-tilt it which is what most ddds rely on. when you're airborne, ddd's bair beats nado if you hit the top corner pocket. When above it I'm pretty sure you can also nair fastfall through it though I don't rely on that very often.

And another one that I'm gonna practice on this week or so is probally pivotgrabbing nado.

Hope that helps :)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello King Dedede boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Hello King Dedede boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!
I believe it is a solid 60-40 match-up in D3's favor. D3 can of coarse chain-grab R.O.B which is a huge plus for D3. Plus Rob's flintiness makes him prone to WOP b-airs. Plus rob's d-smash is easily dodged by D3's spot dodge being as broken as it is. ROB's recovery is good, however is easily punished and allows D3 to get more b-airs and rack up more damage. In addition, D3 can keep waddle dees/doos on the stage to prevent ROB's gyro from doing too much work. Dedede's recovery makes it almost impossible for him to be gimped so early kill potential is negligible. D3 can also zone out ROB using f-tilt and well spaced f-airs keeping ROB from using short-hopped f-airs and. Lastly, D3's up tilt can easily score kills due to ROB's height being perfect for its hit-box.

resTy

Smash Champion
Did anyone else know that Dedede can grab people while they're hanging on the ledge? Just found out while practicing SCSG. You guys probably already knew about it, but it blew my face off!

Anyways, how does Dedede approach in the Falco match-up? Should I want to be airborne more or grounded more? What moves are good vs. Falco; as in what's something I may want to use more than other things? Thanks, Dedede guys.

EDIT: I'm a scrub. Everyone already knew how to do that lol. Just the Falco part please.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
I don't know too much bout the Falco catchup, however I find approaching with short hop inhale plays a good part in avoiding getting chain grabbed.

ZTD | TECHnology

:dedede: vs :falco:

Approaching Falco is going to be an uphill battle that lasts the entire match. After Chaingrab percentage, Falco will/should be playing as safe as possible and camping us. Laser spam and Phantasms will be abundant here. What you need to do is just avoid the Lasers period. Falco will be placing them where you will be so you have to avoid them. You have to mix up your options for approaching. Short hop airdodging can get you through a few airborne Lasers. Powershielding is the best way of getting through them though. You need to learn how to do this or the match is going to feel almost impossible.

As far as Phantasm goes you just need to bait it. You have a very good poke in F-Tilt that reaches far and will jar a reaction out of Falco or at least get a quick punish off for bad Phantasms. But you can also hit him out of it. D-Tilt is one your better options for this being one of our quicker moves. Up-Tilt is also legit but I like to save it for earlier kills.

When you're up close you need to be very aware of what Falco does. A smart one will conserve his short hops and try to use Jabs and F Tilts on you. F-Tilt when perfectly spaced is REALLY hard to punish outside of our own F-Tilt. Falco has a lot of quick tools in melee range that you have to be aware of.

What you need to in this match up is just get Falco off the stage. That should be your main goal. Do not be alarmed of how much damage you take here. It is unavoidable. You just need to get him off the stage and read his recovery. If you can get him below the ledge with a sour spot Back air you should be able to take his stock. D-Tilt also is great in matchup.Just focus on gimping him and punishing his mispaced moves with Throws when you can get them off.

Also remember this.

No matter now much damage you are taking...Falco can't kill and his kill moves are not that safe Up Smash is punishable. F-Smash is punishable. BDACUS is punishable. Keep that in mind.

ZTD | TECHnology

It's because I'm bad at explaining things briefly lol. I always feel the need to go like IN THERE with a big *** paragraph. I guess if people like it though then it's all good.

And thanks :D

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I believe it is a solid 60-40 match-up in D3's favor. D3 can of coarse chain-grab R.O.B which is a huge plus for D3. Plus Rob's flintiness makes him prone to WOP b-airs. Plus rob's d-smash is easily dodged by D3's spot dodge being as broken as it is. ROB's recovery is good, however is easily punished and allows D3 to get more b-airs and rack up more damage. In addition, D3 can keep waddle dees/doos on the stage to prevent ROB's gyro from doing too much work. Dedede's recovery makes it almost impossible for him to be gimped so early kill potential is negligible. D3 can also zone out ROB using f-tilt and well spaced f-airs keeping ROB from using short-hopped f-airs and. Lastly, D3's up tilt can easily score kills due to ROB's height being perfect for its hit-box.
Really appreciated! I would say it's a 35:65 for R.O.B. since he can't kill nor gimp King Dedede. =/

ZTD | TECHnology

You're only looking at half of the story here.

For starters, Down Smash still catches us if ROB spams it. Even with our spot dodge. Just depends on the timing and if they see it coming.

ROB can camp us pretty well and can keep us away from him. Even with our F-Tilt is can be powershielded and tilted as a response. ROB's Tilt all reach pretty far. ROB on a stage like Yoshi's Island can be a total ***** to approach. Gyro's don't go through Waddles but Laser's still do. Not to mention Waddles can keep their moves fresh (which they're gonna need..lol) if they attack them.

ROB CAN gay us off the stage. Maybe not a full gimp but a lot of damage. He's slow but still covers a great distance in the air. Our recovery is so punishable though that anyone could take advantage of this. But ROB is actually good at this..one of the saving graces of his MU for him. I don't know why ROBs think they can't do it. They just have extreme trouble outright killing us.

U-Tilt isn't going to kill him unless he tries to approach from above or try to get past us from above. This works usually when they try to Nair us. It has to be timed though. Its actually not as simple as just "Oh we can just use Up-Tilt because he'll die at like 110%)

I mean this MU is still pretty bad for ROB but its not hopeless like people think it is. If I had to put a number on it it'd be like -2.5 for them (using BBR's new MU chart)

7Claus

Smash Apprentice
One thing that helps a lot against Toon Link is shielding his bombs and instant throwing them back with an OoS jump. If you stand there and shield the explosion or just retreat it just gives him more time to throw annoying projectiles at you.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PDK800GcQk

Old video vs. ranked Marth in my region. My only in-tournament use of Dedede, back when he was just strictly my secondary, instead of my main. First serious use of him too, SD at the end is telling of that. I am particularly proud of baiting him into FSmash 1 minute in or so. Also before I started using FTilt.

ZTD | TECHnology

I will be looking over/critiquing all the requested videos within the next few days since everyone is asking and no one else is really offering to critique ..lol

I looked over RATED's already so I'll start with Birdman's and move on to Dirt's.

If anyone else has any videos they would like reviewed post them and I will get to them asap.

Your neighborhood penguin user,

- TC

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Thanks TC, much appreciated, I'll start helping with the critiques ounce I get a feel for where I stand as a D3 player.

ZTD | TECHnology

Okay here comes a big list of stuff to work on. You have the basics down, now its time for you to work on more...intermediate levels of DDD play. :)

- Stop using aerials into the ground. There were several times where you would use Dair or Bair into the ground and suffer landing lag. Both are really punishable. I guarantee you, you will a notable difference on how much damage you take if you stop Dairing and (ESPECIALLY) Bairing into the ground.

- Approaching with Short Hop Fair right in front of your opponent is usually a bad idea. It's slower than most aerials and can be beat before you get the hitbox out. If you keep using it your opponent will catch on and punish you for it. You also were not spacing it. You could have used at a much more optimal range. Oh and try using retreating Fairs.

- You sit in your shield. Especially against ZSS. Work on just removing yourself from bad situations instead of just shielding and spotdodging.

- Use B-Reversaled Swallow. It's a nice mixup. You tend to just jump with your back turned and just Bair. That alone gets really easy to spot.

- Against Fox, you need to stay in his face more. Stay at mid range. You are giving him too much space to just laser you to death.

- Work on your ground game more and throw in more F-Tilts for spacing. On the ground you always want to stay in mid range unless you can camp the opponent using Waddle Dees.

- Angle your Waddle Dee Toss. It looks like you aren't angling them and you could be hitting with them more if you control the angles better. A;so don't use them so close to your opponent. You can get punished rather easily for it. Bad lag.

- You seem to have a nervous spotdodge habit when you're getting overwhelmed.

- Back throw > D-Throw when its fresh on characters you can't CG. 17% with one throw > 15% with 2 throws. When B-Throw is stale then use D-Throw to tech chase or F-Tilt. Keep in mind how stale your B-Throw is and make sure you aim to refresh it. Against characters we can't CG Back-Throw is our most reliable damage dealing device.

Hope these pointers help. Send more vids in a few weeks.

I will do another batch of videos soon guys. Tomorrow more than likely.

Top Bottom