• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
One thing is remember that it has invincibility frames on start up which allows it to just out right beat many air moves out. It is so fun to up tilt mk's tornado or falco's phantasm.

:phone:

Reika Kitami

Smash Cadet
I keep getting dash grabbed because I always want to shield grab, but I'm not exactly sure what to do instead.

Any advice?

C.J.

Smash Master
RAR bair, standing pivot grab, ftilt, etc

Don't have such a simple mindset/focus pretty much.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
What options does Dedede have on the ledge?

Example would be against a Marth who's just out of range, but not approaching.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I have been long gone from the king's forums, but now here is my return. If nobody seems to be active in the boards as I say this post now, then I will be talking to myself only.

It is time for me to come back. I am going to attend Apex 2013 and get first place with only the king. I am now back and active to his boards as well. I am going to make my revival with a series of online matches that I will post in a little while. But, my major purpose with my playing this game is to prove to people that Dedede has no hard matchups. This statement shall be backed by reasons which I will explain later on. Not even Meta Knight is a hard counter for him. I believe that any matchup which people believe is a hard counter for King Dedede, is in fact, an even matchup. I will continue my mission by posting the videos in which I just recently performed.

allshort17

Smash Ace
What strategies, conditioning patterns, or moves beat Ness's fair? Also, how do I approach the MU in general? I seem to be stuck in my shield a lot while having little way to approach or zone him out.

Xubble

Smash Ace
I really don't know the MU, but his aerials actually challenge ours since his have some priority and disjoint (i.e. that damn retreating fair). Our ground game against his is good since his only disjointed ranged options are PK Fire and his smash attacks, and we have our tilts. I'm not sure how our utilt does against his bair and fair, but if it beats them, then a good theory would be to stay in the air when he's grounded and use bair for approach, and stay grounded when he's in the air to intercept an approach.

And as always, shieldgrab for wins. He's pretty vulnerable offstage if you can predict his recovery, so CG is wonderful.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
What strategies, conditioning patterns, or moves beat Ness's fair? Also, how do I approach the MU in general? I seem to be stuck in my shield a lot while having little way to approach or zone him out.
I play this MU all the time since my friend, baconator, is a Ness main. In all honesty, Nesses are already conditioned to not get grabbed ever, so you can play on that fear quite a bit. I'm pretty sure DDD's ftilt and bair should literally stuff all of Ness's CQC options. You can also just run into the fair and shield so that you force the Ness to mis-space so you can shieldgrab him. Also, DDD outcamps Ness with Waddle Dee. :troll:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Call out his fair with fsmash in the face, he won't PK fire if you're within dash > PS > dashgrab range. You'll feel so good. Then he'll try to stay on the ground, **** him with grab. Then dash attack him once he starts to spotdodge.

This is my general metagame for all chars lol. Except bair instead of fsmash.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Delfino Plaza!!! :rotfl:

Serious talk, I think the two best stages for this are probably FD and Delfino. Perhaps Siege and maybe even PS1.

The CG should always work unless you're CG'ing down a slope. Marth is actually one of the more difficult chars to consistently CG, partly because of his ridiculous upB that capitalizes on even a few frames of lateness. CG'ing up slopes makes it easier.

C.J.

Smash Master
You're reading it wrong. You asked where DDD CPs Marth to. He was saying, as a DDD player, to avoid BF

Xubble

Smash Ace
If you're recovering, you've got lots of jumps to wait it out. ALWAYS avoid being above Pika since our air mobility is absolute crap. If you find yourself in such a situation, try to time an air dodge RIGHT when the bolt's about to hit you and maneuver away. You should always save a jump in case you need to get out of range.

| Big D |

Smash Master
Thanks, I don't mind being above Pika, just really above Pika.

I mostly just want to avoid uptilt/upsmash thunder. The pika I play with thinks it's guaranteed, probably because I'm so bad at airdodging it >.>

Xubble

Smash Ace
Yeah, being right below the little cloud is a pretty ****ty situation.

As for utilt/upsmash to thunder, just learn to DI better. Never hurts. XD

C.J.

Smash Master
Don't try to momentum cancel the utilt/usmash. If you MC then it's basically guaranteed. Wait to hear pika yell, then AD the thunder.

D

Deleted member 189823

How do you "buffer" U-Tilt? I'm trying to do Inhale release to "happy ending", but he spits the enemy out instead.

D

Deleted member 189823

What differences a DDD who pretty much only chaingrabs and thinks he's using him "well" from a DDD player who actually has the basics down?
I haven't been using DDD too much lately, but I am starting to feel a little bit dismotivated from seeing some people pull their "pocket DDD" and just chaingrab to 200% and UTilt/B-Air. I've always made myself believe DDD more than just that, and I've been wanting to learn him more in-depth and prove to them that DDD is much more than just a chaingrab.

| Big D |

Smash Master
It sounds like you're new to Dedede, I would recommend reading some of the guides and watching videos of other Dedede's to get started.

To address your question, the chain grab is ultimately a punish, it's a large punish but never the less a punish. It isn't a zoning tool, defensive option, approach, or anything like that. To use Dedede well just means to outplay your opponent. Meaning if you have the opportunity to chain grab, don't think about any honour BS, you just do it. If you can get away with grabbing over and over you do that, but good players will force you to use your other tools and won't be grabbed as easily.

I wish you luck in your Dedede adventures.

D

Deleted member 189823

It should be obvious I'm new to DDD, yeah.
Thank you for the tips.

I see Coney and Skelerex use the B-Air to Inhale often. Do I need to buffer a B-Reversal Inhale for it to come out straightly after B-Air?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
DDD is so. much. MORE. than just the CG! There are so many people out there who think CG = win and no CG = lose. DDD has so many other things going on about him. Some less thought about ones:
  • A command (air) grab for covering landings and catching spot-dodges. Minor details, but it's nifty and it's the nifty minor stuff that give a char swag.
  • Actual reliable combos like nair > utilt at low %'s and dair > bair (or a bunch of things).
  • Walking projectile walls. They're called Waddles.
  • Walking traps. They're called Waddle Doos.
  • Random stitch-faces known as Gordos.
  • Nasty gimping potential on several members of the Brawl cast.
Even the dthrow itself has so many more uses than people give it credit for. It's one of the best, if not THE best, setup tools in the game for doubles. It sets up tech-chases on nearly everyone that it doesn't CG. It combos into ftilt on every CG'able char and into dtilt on a few.

DDD just has soooooooo many things going on with him. It's almost like he's invincible, don't you think? :cool:

D

Deleted member 189823

I'm starting to really appreciate DDD's B-Air. I'm learning how to use it as an approach out of a pivot. It's awesome.

Top Bottom