• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yes some thing that brought the inner RPGer in me back from the DEAD!

GOLDEN SUN DS

So it looks like we get the kids of Issac,Mia and Felix. The thing is who's the other parent.

any one who knew Jenna and Issac were g.etting together a mile away raise your hands

Release Date: 2010
System: DS(i)
Developer: Camelot/Nintendo

http://kotaku.com/5277619/golden-sun-ds-lightning-bolt-action-impressions

Matt07

Smash Master
Aw, there descendants? I was really hoping to play Isaac again. And what about a descendant from Ivan?

I'm still really looking forward to this.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
When the heck was it ever said that those were the descendants of Isaac and co? From what I know, the plot and characters haven't been revealed yet.

Darkslash

Smash Master
When the heck was it ever said that those were the descendants of Isaac and co? From what I know, the plot and characters haven't been revealed yet.
Nintendo said:
Golden Sun™ DS: After going dark six years ago, 2010 will see a new dawn. Golden Sun DS updates the popular portable Golden Sun role-playing series with an impressive graphical style. This installment follows the story of the previous heroes’ descendants and immerses players into the magic of its adventure by pushing the boundaries of intuitive touch-screen controls. Golden Sun DS is playable on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi systems.
http://e3.nintendo.com/pressrelease/

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I can't say I dig the idea of playing as descendants of past characters (I think it's kind of cheesy), but GS DS, YES PLEASE. :)

To be honest, the guy with the short, spiky hair looks more like a descendant of Garret than Felix.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Was it just me or did the game graphically look a little bland? The trailer at e3 was just ok, especially with GS I was expecting to be blown away. But I can't wait, I must have spent over 100 hours on Lost Age.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I should have some money b4 this game comes out i really want it.
this is probably the second best thing Nintendo had @ E3

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Holy crap, I've been waiting for this...and what the hell, this came out of nowhere. O_o

I always told my buddy that it could happen. His answer: "If it was going to get made it would have happened by now." EAT IT. ^_^

Gaara♥

Smash Master
awwww I was really hoping for a direct sequel to The Lost Age. I could imagine it would start off with you playing as ALEX

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Looks more like Garret than Felix to me.

Anyways, looks awesome, can't wait.

Idk about the whole descendants thing but I'm sure Camelot can pull it off.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As am I. I wanted to personally play Alex's side of the story. He's the only really fleshed out character in the game, and descendants...doesn't sound as interesting. Let's hope they give the characters real personalities this time around.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
WAIT! This isn't somebody's sick idea of a joke again, right? Pretty sure I saw a topic like this about a year ago haha.

Anyways, that's awesome- GS is one of the best RPG's out there, probably the best in handhelds ever, IMO.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
HOLY SHIIIIT WHAAAT???

GOLDEN SUNNNN YEEEAHH BOOIIII

I've been wanting a new game to come out for years !!!!!
Odd so many old franchises are being brought back from the grave.

The Excite series, the Punch Out! series, the Klonoa series, and now the Golden Sun series.

I wonder why they are being brought back.

But on the topic of Golden Sun DS;

Yay! New Golden Sun!

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I was really excited for this game until I saw the trailer. Primitive 3D. Now, I don't care.

That's it? The graphics aren't what you expect, and all of a sudden, your not even interested anymore?
I can't believe my eyes. Do they deceive me? Golden Sun was ALWAYS known for its graphics that always appeared somewhat 3D. And the gameplay is second to none. Graphics are a stupid thing to give up a great series for. :(

Darkslash

Smash Master
I was really excited for this game until I saw the trailer. Primitive 3D.

Now, I don't care. :(
Have you every played the first 2 games? The overworld always had the bad end of the graphics, then when you get into a town or battle, that's when the graphics are really at the true state.

We just have to wait for some Gameplay before we can judge on the graphics.

Lovely

Smash Lord
THis made nintendo's E3 win for me. I've been waiting on this for 6 years.
♣ Same here. I figured after seeing Punch Out come out of the grave, that Golden Sun might have a chance to shine, and I'm glad to be right about that. ♥

♣ Golden Sun is one of my favroite game titles and I must get this game. ♥

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I was frozen with shock when they announced this. FINALLY! A NEW GS! The odd thing is, literally minutes b4 the game was announced, I posted in a thread claiming how announcing a sequel to Golden Sun would win E3 for Nintendo...

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
Sweet! Now all I have to do is finish the first two games! :)
Wow, I suddenly don't feel so bad about only not having completed the second. :)
I was frozen with shock when they announced this. FINALLY! A NEW GS! The odd thing is, literally minutes b4 the game was announced, I posted in a thread claiming how announcing a sequel to Golden Sun would win E3 for Nintendo...
And it did, for me at least! It was practically the star of the show for me. I was expecting not to be wowed at E3 but no, they had to drop a GSDS on us. Not that it's a bad thing though.

I'm really loving the new jacket-styled outfits of our new cast.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
That's it? The graphics aren't what you expect, and all of a sudden, your not even interested anymore?
They just seem like such a letdown. What can I say? I like 2D better than 3D. Mostly for nostalgia.

I can't believe my eyes. Do they deceive me? Golden Sun was ALWAYS known for its graphics that always appeared somewhat 3D. And the gameplay is second to none. Graphics are a stupid thing to give up a great series for. :(
Who said I was giving up the series? I agree that the first two games were fantastic, and the gameplay is exceptional. And I'm holding out hope that the next one will be too.

Have you every played the first 2 games? The overworld always had the bad end of the graphics, then when you get into a town or battle, that's when the graphics are really at the true state.

We just have to wait for some Gameplay before we can judge on the graphics.
I've played the first game. Unfortunately, my copy of the second game froze, probably because I bought it used. :ohwell: I don't see why I can't judge the graphics yet. Gameplay, obviously not, but graphics? Well, I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry, guys. I wasn't trying to stir things up. I was just disappointed. :urg:

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I'm amazed at the excitment for this game on Gamefaqs. On today's "Which E3-announced sequel/spinoff are you most looking forward to?" poll, Golden Sun DS is currently beating two Mario games, two Metal Gear Solid games, the new Metroid AND and a new Halo game! As of this post, it's second only to FFXIV!!!

www.gamefaqs.com

I know gamefaqs isn't exactly looked upon as the most respected gaming site on the web, but it pleases me to see that Golden Sun is this well-recieved.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
I'm amazed at the excitment for this game on Gamefaqs. On today's "Which E3-announced sequel/spinoff are you most looking forward to?" poll, Golden Sun DS is currently beating two Mario games, two Metal Gear Solid games, the new Metroid AND and a new Halo game! As of this post, it's second only to FFXIV!!!

www.gamefaqs.com

I know gamefaqs isn't exactly looked upon as the most respected gaming site on the web, but it pleases me to see that Golden Sun is this well-recieved.
Well, of course! The first GS was hilariously well-received, and the second did almost just as well.

I, too, am REALLY excited to see how the third comes out. I just hope it won't be one of those things that upsets me not because it's bad, but because I got all hyped because of all the buzz going on about it and it wasn't what I expected.

_Icy_

Smash Rookie
What was so special about the original Golden Suns? They get alot of praise but unfortunately I never played them >_>

Superstar

Smash Champion
The story. The original is better than the second one though. The original Golden Sun's World Map was mostly linear, that after a while it was easy to find the next place as it follows general directions, after a while you can then loop back around for easy access to almost anywhere. In the second one the World Map is a maze, which shouldn't be that bad but the monster encounter rate is ANNOYING. You have to use R to view the map to find out where you go because it's literally filled with dead ends.

Also, the dungeons practically ask for guides because you don't know if you have the psynergy to complete them. You need to tackle them in some specific order which isn't really that obvious. I didn't even know the parch psynergy existed when I got to these body of water dead ends. And the sailing speed should really be faster.

I beat both of them recently, though I need to get to the extra boss of GS2. The extra boss of GS1 was cake.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The story. The original is better than the second one though. The original Golden Sun's World Map was mostly linear, that after a while it was easy to find the next place as it follows general directions, after a while you can then loop back around for easy access to almost anywhere. In the second one the World Map is a maze, which shouldn't be that bad but the monster encounter rate is ANNOYING. You have to use R to view the map to find out where you go because it's literally filled with dead ends.

Also, the dungeons practically ask for guides because you don't know if you have the psynergy to complete them. You need to tackle them in some specific order which isn't really that obvious. I didn't even know the parch psynergy existed when I got to these body of water dead ends. And the sailing speed should really be faster.

I beat both of them recently, though I need to get to the extra boss of GS2. The extra boss of GS1 was cake.
I disagree. The characters in the second one were much more interesting, and I found travelling around the world much faster than in the first one.

That said, I have a strong exploration instinct, so I loved the non-linear nature of the world map.

EDIT: all golden sun games do have too high a random encounter rate though.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I agree with the characters.

Travelling around the world wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't a monster every few steps. If only you could map avoid to a button on the world map, or got a hard avoid that costs twice as much and works twice as long. Other than that, while it's not that long to get to a specific spot, the problem is that there are a lot more "dead ends" in GS2 than GS1, and I found all too late that R brings up the world map view [found out once I got the ship]. I mean, monster encounters aren't so bad when you are at the right level, but when you are going back through an old place, they aren't even worth my time.

Best part was that I skipped Airs Rock [I didn't even GUESS that I had to go there], came across so many reveal spots and I had to grind to beat Briggs, and I had to read a guide to see that I skipped something.

Going to a specific spot is faster in GS2 post Piers, but you are not given any hint on where to go, or any hint on where to go to find something, so often I had to go to both ends of the map twice and multiple dead end dungeons before I found a dungeon that I could go through. That, and GS2's map is larger, the locations are much closer together in GS1 pre-Gondowan.

I still liked the game, but that alone was enough to sink it below the first for me. Though, I have a fondness for partially non-linear games [GS1 is a bit non-linear, but with a more set dungeon order]. Full non-linear games with a high monster encounter rate that takes you away from exploration piss me off.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Cool, a new Golden Sun game...it has been a while.:colorgame. Now that I think about it, I never played the originals. I must ask my friends for a loan.

any one who knew Jenna and Issac were g.etting together a mile away raise your hands
One of the first things I thought about after reading this are the shipping battles.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
What was so special about the original Golden Suns? They get alot of praise but unfortunately I never played them >_>
Well, I think that the music, story, gameplay and characters are big draws. But going into the gameplay element, battle is kind of interesting in that in addition to your usual standard attacks and magical abilities, you have these mystical creatures called Djinn (Djinni for singular). Djinn are basically the summons in the game, come in four elemental types (Fire, water, wind, and earth) and can be equipped to any of the four party members (who themselves each represent an element). Depending on how many Djinn you use and the type, you can summon more powerful beings to dish destruction on monsters. After which the Djinn recharge themselves and can be used again. The drawback is that equipping and using the Djinn can and will alter a character's stats. IIRC using Djinn isn't mandatory, but it's still highly recommended. Also, depending on the weapons, characters can randomly unleash destructive force with normal attacks. For instance, summoning a meteor with a sword and then knocking it down on enemies!

During the overworld, you have what is called psynergy. With it, you can do things like move objects (if you've seen the Isaac assist trophy in Brawl, the move he performs is the "move" psynergy), read the minds of people in towns, and other cool stuff.

It's been awhile since I've played a GS game (about a year ago and that was for level grinding) so my memory is a bit rusty. Basically, during it's time, it surpassed the standard for RPGs on the GBA. Golden Sun was for the GBA, what Chrono Trigger and Tales of Symphonia were for the SNES and GameCube respectively.

DRD

Smash Lord
Anyone who didn't like Golden Sun's OST doesn't have a soul. <_<

*plays GS2's Overworld music with whole party*
I felt amazing traveling the world with that music on full blast.

I remember spending hours gaining massive experience killing Wonderbirds in the Islet that houses Sentinel; Best parts of the game were things you did after you won. Finding all the rarest items and weapons, Lachesis' Rule, Tisiphone Edge, Excalibur, Darksword; Defeating all the bonus bosses: Sentinel, Star Magician, Valukar, and Dullahan, the last of which earns you Iris, the most badass summon ever

One of my favorite games by far

Top Bottom