• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting past Falco's lasers and defending against his approach

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
King of a section of the largest fighting game community on earth.

Sounds pretty sweet.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh? My dominance has extended to the Brawl Marth forums.

My work is done here and Marth's potential remains to be unlocked in Brawl. I'm needed else where.

But seriously, I have done my share in this forum and they hold alot of memories for me. I'm sure someone else will step up and take charge if they haven't already.

Pandepic

Smash Rookie
Something I'm wondering about for stopping Falco's SHL approach. What is the best way to use up+b out of shield against him? I've seen some pro Marths use really well, it but it also seems very very risky. I assume it's all about prediction, but what situation should I be predicting to use it against?

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Power shielding isn't hard to learn. My falco gets completely shut down by my friend's marth. He rushes with powershields and then follows up his powershield laser with grabs as if he was the one shooting them at me. I pretty much get 0/whatever percent im at-death at that point. Marth is just disgusting with chain grabs/tilts/fairs against falco. Like, all marth has to do is combo falco a little to get him off the level, at which point you have an insane amount of good options to kill falco. F smash edge guarding/reflect/down tilt/f-tilt/reverse up B gimps, it's just too nasty. And if somehow falco gets back using a quick illusion (which you can't sweet spot against marth) or something, marth just grabs and either back throws to edge guard **** or up throws to ****.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Power shielding isn't hard to learn. My falco gets completely shut down by my friend's marth. He rushes with powershields and then follows up his powershield laser with grabs as if he was the one shooting them at me. I pretty much get 0/whatever percent im at-death at that point. Marth is just disgusting with chain grabs/tilts/fairs against falco. Like, all marth has to do is combo falco a little to get him off the level, at which point you have an insane amount of good options to kill falco. F smash edge guarding/reflect/down tilt/f-tilt/reverse up B gimps, it's just too nasty. And if somehow falco gets back using a quick illusion (which you can't sweet spot against marth) or something, marth just grabs and either back throws to edge guard **** or up throws to ****.
Empty SHL (as in cancel before the laser comes out) -> grab or shield pressure is so **** for powershield happy Marths lol.

Oh wait... not the Falco boards :\

This thread is really helpful, not just for Marth but for all characters vs Falco. Why isn't it stickied? lol

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I guess but i mean if you play this game to the extent we do...

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
He doesn't seem like he plays Marth, so he probably meant dthrow. lol
Yea, I meant down throw. We all know what i'm talking about, it sends them backward.
Backthrow obviously isn't good it sends people up and away. I play marth occasionally for fun I just wasn't thinking when I said that.

CABC- That won't really work. I mean the marths I play against play off of what they see. The best marth I play against wears head phones while he plays, so the sound of the laser isn't going to fool him or anybody really. Ill get shield grabbed/grabbed approaching that way.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Yea, I meant down throw. We all know what i'm talking about, it sends them backward.
Backthrow obviously isn't good it sends people up and away. I play marth occasionally for fun I just wasn't thinking when I said that.

CABC- That won't really work. I mean the marths I play against play off of what they see. The best marth I play against wears head phones while he plays, so the sound of the laser isn't going to fool him or anybody really. Ill get shield grabbed/grabbed approaching that way.
Uhh PM me for more advice or make a thread in the Falco forums after this post lol but, if he's powershielding all your lasers and you can't do anything like shoot -> jump over the powershield (helps to shoot really low) -> shoot again or go into shield pressure then just don't laser much. Also watch the first match of Genesis East vs West crews, should help.

^^^ that match'll help Marths vs Falco too =D

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Full jump landing nairs/fairs always work for me. Using the ducking part of your wavedash can also come in handy.

Velox

Smash Ace
I think you can b-throw like space animals off a ledge and f-smash them if they DI wrong at high percents.

Plus if you want a space animal to for sure tech something it might be better to use b-throw than d-throw.

ipownoobz

Smash Rookie
all these throws on spacys... just uthrow and ****. Bit off topic here, aren't we?

BTW, i think that lightshielding is the best way cause they'll have to approach you at some time... just sit and wait

kohake

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry if I'm reviving a dead topic, but there will always be Marths having problems against Falco's lasers.

I've had big problems dealing with Falco players in the past, but now I play just as good against Falco as I do against any other character, besides Sheik.(I hate Sheik sooooo much) I'm not very good at smash, but I've been playing for a few years and I've played against pretty good people.

Anyway, I have used most of thies strategies so I though I would post how effective I found them.

1) Dash Attack
I don't use this as much as I used to, but as long as you don't use it to frequently, the enemy isn't likely to shoot low just incase, which makes it awesome.

2) Use Platforms
This usually get's me punished, but I guess I'm doing something wrong.

3) Power Shielding
I think this is a great move. I have found that it is much easier to power shield while running towards the projectile. It is possible to power shield every laser as long as you're on the ground in a good momentum. Just look at Armada in SVAR10 finals against CW.

4) Jumping over lasers
This never works for me. My enemy will see the approach and either N-air me or delay the next laser so it hits me on the way down.

5) Dash into Shield
I've done this a lot, and it is a great move combined with power shield, as it is easier to time the power shield while moving.(at least that's what I've heard, and it works for me)

6) Wavedash from Shield
I've never really used it against the lasers. I'm going to try it next time.

7) Shield Grab
I used to spam this back when I were playing against noobs, but now I get pwnd every time. I really need to stop doing this.

8) JC SH Fair out of Shield
Haven't tried it. I will.

9) Counter
I love this move. I first saw Ken using it against PC Chris. I found it's often better to use it at the lasers though.

10) Light Shielding
Never used it, sounds awesome though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Marth is already going to be abusing his shield game against most characters, so keep abusing it.

My usual strategy revolves around running as far forward as i can and shielding/powershielding the first laser. Depending on how far away the opponent is I will either wait for him to do something, fair oos if itll hit him, or WD into better position.

Don't be afraid to WD back OoS and fsmash/ftilt, because if he was approaching your shield with a nair/dair you'll hit him, and if he lasers you'll just get hit by a laser (OH NOES).

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
unless u are gonna power shield a laser i would say you're better off not shielding it at all.

what a lot of ppl dont understand about falcos is some good ones use their lasers to get ur sheild low and hope for sheild stabs on ur head and stuff.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
OR you can just get better at jumping OoS faster because lasers have like 2 frames of shield stun <_< What that means is that shielding a laser followed by a SH fair is only 3 frames slower than just shing the fair in the first place <_< (just a random approximation, but seriously, lasers don't lock you in your shield, just move)

Taylor-Corn

Smash Cadet
Hmm i have a problem when i try to counter falcos lasers. Marth always decides to turn around to do his counter. No idea why...any tips to prevent that?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Hmm i have a problem when i try to counter falcos lasers. Marth always decides to turn around to do his counter. No idea why...any tips to prevent that?
that probably means you're too close. since lasers are pretty long, and pop out more or less all at once, it's possible, if you're close to falco, to get hit on your opposite side as the laser appears, which means marth will turn around. i guess basically just be cautious about countering too close... i've gotten ****ed by doing this myself.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I seriously would say learn to powershield, and how to do stuff out of shield. PM me if you have specific videos of yourself against the person you're playing.

I know I will get flamed by saying "l2 powershield" but seriously, watch some of my videos against Falco!

DJMirror

Smash Master
I'm sorry, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I seriously would say learn to powershield, and how to do stuff out of shield. PM me if you have specific videos of yourself against the person you're playing.

I know I will get flamed by saying "l2 powershield" but seriously, watch some of my videos against Falco!
are some of your matchest are against bluntedobject?

Dart

Smash Lord

but you're basically correct though. if you Powershield an approaching falco thats in your grab range the only thing he can do is
A get grabbed after being stunned by his laser or
B get grabbed out of his shielding the laser.

if by some magic he can PS it back theres not much you can do though >.>...

Top Bottom