• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting past Falco's lasers and defending against his approach

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, I haven't read the rest of this thread, but I seriously would say learn to powershield, and how to do stuff out of shield. PM me if you have specific videos of yourself against the person you're playing.

I know I will get flamed by saying "l2 powershield" but seriously, watch some of my videos against Falco!
This sexy beast knows what's up.^^^

are some of your matchest are against bluntedobject?
But of course... and MANY others, it's the land of Flaco, there's lots of quality to go around. :lick:

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Anyone know the amount of frames you have to wait before you can attack out of your shield after falco hits your shield with dair, a laser, shine etc? ^^

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Anyone know the amount of frames you have to wait before you can attack out of your shield after falco hits your shield with dair, a laser, shine etc? ^^
you mean shield stun? or literally how many frames taking into account marth dropping his shield or the frames it takes for him to jump out of shield or the first hitbox of his up-b to come out, etc., etc., etc.?

myl197

Smash Apprentice
not sure how this works out for everyone here but I found that ducking works sometimes as well. Not all lasers hit you when ducking and when Falco makes his approach, you can either fsmash, shield, etc... Please let me know if anyone disagrees.

Dart!

Smash Master
not sure how this works out for everyone here but I found that ducking works sometimes as well. Not all lasers hit you when ducking and when Falco makes his approach, you can either fsmash, shield, etc... Please let me know if anyone disagrees.
too bad depending on how far away he is that fsmash is going to get punished like a *****.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I like using things that apply generally in all circumstances. Not just against my neighbor who cant get low SH lasers.
Back when I first started playing, I tried using Falco. I would sit and practice SH laser timings and as a result I hit crouching sheiks and kirbys. Now I'm outta practice with Falco but there are people out there who crouching wouldn't work.
Ducking into shield does help with powershielding lasers though.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Too bad Falco can shoot even lower short hop lasers, what you going to do then? lol

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
lol that falco match 2 was so spammy but in the marth vs falco match up the marth needs to get thoose grabs and i feel he shouldnt let the falco catch him in his sheild alot or he should use the sheild as less as possible because the more marth in the sheild against a aggressive falco the more you going to get ***** and be as gay as possible and understand wut to do in certian situation and be fast....................................................... GO LAKERS

Makr

Smash Rookie
o yeah i have a question you know how when a falco is sheild pressuring a fox they have the option to shine out of sheild i was wondering if the same concept could be use toward marth counter out of sheild againt falco sheild pilaring?
there's a thread for it here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273140

i think counters comes out on frame 9, same as fair (?). up+b comes out on frame 6 so is a little faster but they have to be right around you. counter can work oos if theyre approaching because you have well more than 9 frames between lasers and sometimes the counter's attack from a laser hitting it can also hit falco. you can see this in pretty much any marth vs falco video.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
My friend/rival plays a pretty good/spammy falco against my Marth...
It usually is too much for me to handle so im forced to switch to my fox to **** him...
But i would like to get my Marth to be more adaptive in Falco situations...

He shoots his lazers pretty low so i cant dash under them...
And he's pretty fast... so wavedashing > shielding would be pretty ineffective...
would full jumps work out to my advantage???

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Kind of not really full jumping is asking for trouble if the falco catches on and starts nairing or uptilting under you.
Powershield Wavedash out of shield. with practice you'll get it 30 percent of the time.

Retsu_Tsuki

Smash Rookie
Another method I found out, is if you time it correctly you can just wavedash straight over to falco cause he ducks when he does the animation so he goes right under the lasers =D then punish for laser spamming >=]

booshk

Smash Lord
Another method I found out, is if you time it correctly you can just wavedash straight over to falco cause he ducks when he does the animation so he goes right under the lasers =D then punish for laser spamming >=]
well if he lasers low you can't right?

i don't think it's a technique you should really rely on.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Getting around
-counter
-WD OOS
-use platforms
-jump over sometimes. the spacing is sorta weird. if you do it wrong, you'll eat a laser to nair.
-jump over, take the laser, and then throw out a fair anyway
-dash attack if they shoot the lasers too high
-short hop if they shoot the lasers too low
-powershield to WD OOS
-sometimes you can do some sort of far-reaching approach during all their empty laser animations (like dash attack or running ftilt/jab/fsmash)

Making them come to you
-jab or some sort of **** if they approach WITH a laser. if they space the laser too far away from you, they won't be able to link it into anything (not even a shine) before you can hit them with something fast. if they space the laser close to you (so they can link it to a shine), you can jab them before the laser comes out
-jump over the laser to feign an approach, then retreat when they try to attack you
-run up and shield to bait them, then WD OOS backwards into another shield when they try to attack you, then shieldgrab their mis-timed/weakened aerial
-bait them into approaching you, then bust out a lightshield
-dashdance away if they try too approach you. Falco's approach isn't very far reaching. if he overshoots it to hit you, i dunno, just swat him away or something.

random stuff i thought of offhand. there's a little more to it, but that's a good start.

also, i don't think people should think of this as "beating falco's lasers", because any mediocre falco is gonna be using lasers + aerials.

if falco has you cornered with lasers, and he runs in with a nair (spaced so that it will trade with or beat your fair/nair OOS), you can counter, roll behind him, or wd back jab/ftilt/fsmash

i find that if you have falco cornered, you have to still stay patient. if he shoots lasers, don't run in, cuz his nair ***** like, every attack you have while you're moving forward.

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
I really need to work on my falco match up with marth and marth in general right now im last resorting to shiek cause marth actually takes a considerable amount of skill.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
As Falco's become more dominant Marth players have to become Ken like to bypass the lasers, Dr. PP is mean in mixing up Hi-Low lasers and keeping people off guard.

I wonder if Marth's metagame has really remained the same since '07?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
if the falco doesnt approach correctly you can either spam fsmash or hold up and mash A and reverse deathcombo falco.

if falco combos wrong, holding up and mashing A will also interrupt them.

0megaZer0

Smash Lord
I might be playing Dr.PP soon because I live in SC/NC and this information should help deal with teh the deadly disease know as: Lazers!!!!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
As Falco's become more dominant Marth players have to become Ken like to bypass the lasers, Dr. PP is mean in mixing up Hi-Low lasers and keeping people off guard.

I wonder if Marth's metagame has really remained the same since '07?
Powershield->fair OoS ***** every laser height :p

Top Bottom