• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

Levitas

the moon
Once the vids posted here are critiqued, I'm gonna unsticky this. The other vid thread is now our critique topic, too.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Glarion- good ****!

you seemed to improve from the other videos I have seen, and you really show it. Achoral was pretty good, but you played the match-up very well. I was impressed.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yeah good stuff Glarion. I saw you using more ftilt then last videos.

All of the critique videos are now done in the video topic.
Just FYI anyone that reads this in the future.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3IXLSGSbg
I know its cut off at the end, but im pretty sure i won.(i dont remember for sure)
So anyways... critique pls.
The match being unfinished and all was a little weird lol :p

Marth wasn't very good...he took tons of hits that I don't think a good opponent should have.

However...I like the spacing on your PKF. I think that's probably something you did the best the job with. Especially against an opponent like marth where approaching isn't as viable an option.

Things I would work on
-mixing up your recovery, maybe some magnet pull, maybe even zap jump
-using more f-smash in general. nice early kill move most the time.

Liked the occasional thunderslide too....that was fun.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm pretty curious to find out how my Lucas is, since I use him in friendlies every now and then for fun. I don't have much in the way of recent videos of my Lucas, but I have two matches against a G&W with him, though one is in the middle of a video of some challenge thing me and a friend were doing.

The first one is here, Lucas vs. G&W (I lose, by the way) (Also, this was before I knew that Zap Jumping existed, I accidentally did 1 zap jump in this fight because my finger slipped, and after that match I played around and found out how I did it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUL_O6DlyA&fmt=18

The other match, Lucas vs. G&W, is from 1:16 - 4:00 (I lose this one too, though I did pretty good early on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ajMJMQjHw&fmt=18

Unfortunately I don't have any other matches up with him against other characters, and G&W forces my Lucas to play differently, so if you need another video or something to really cretique, then let me know and I can get a match or two recorded against his DK instead.

Edit: Oh yeah, there is one problem in my Lucas gameplay, I have a bad habbit of Zap Jumping to PK Thunder... I guess the fact that I think of lightning as coming down from above gives me that habbit. Also, I've never read anything about Lucas, so I've just gone off of what I've learned myself, so there're probably a lot of things I'm doing wrong.

Since you can't really tell from these two videos since I'm fighting a G&W and that bucket scares me, against most characters, I do a lot of retreating PK Fires mixed with PK Thunder every now and then, and I do a lot of Fair and Dair edgeguarding. Against characters recovering from low, I usually use PK Thunder to edgeguard instead.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
gday lucas boards,

im a snake main who uses lucas in low tier and to pwn d3s and olis. finally got some vids for critique, so any advice you could give would be appreciated. try to ignore the random sds and the woeful play against the ganondorf (shouldve taken it a little more seriously O_o), and it took me a while to get used to jigs, cause i never versed one before. i did use him in the actual tourny last time too only to get mk and gw *****, so i didnt get far enough for vids... 13th was ok on my first try though... my partner and i came second in teams too.

ganondorf 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXM30tPW1lY&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=9

ganondorf 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTi9uo7Zy8&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=7

captain falcon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpv_HeyK8mk&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=10

jigglypuff 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpzhJ3pW28E&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=12

jigglypuff 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73-Iknvys0&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=13

jigglypuff 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yvaBmeF38&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=14

jigglypuff 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXQ94rmkHjo&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=15

yoshi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sir2DwdYhM&feature=PlayList&p=E6A4072A7A7A924E&index=16

team finals (only one match uploaded):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_9cmD3mCSc&feature=channel_page

thank you in advance!

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
KRD: First Match vs. DK
IMO... Too much fair- you can get shield grabbed pretty easily, too much pk thunder- you got punished a few times in the lag.
Not enough sh nair to approach, and not enough sh pk fire for spacing.
Other than that it seemed pretty good :D

Noraa

Smash Lord
Shmot i watched round one with gannon.

Dont roll so much and learn to use the right move at the right time.
Ftilt out of shield and improve on dair combos and shff nairs to jabs to utilt or anything.
pivot grab and sh pkfire...matter of fact sh everything and sh airdodge to mix up your game.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
ganon 1 was defs my worst match there... but anyway, thanks. i know i need to sh pk fire more, and grabs are something i barely do with lucas (not really sure when i can get away with doing them, really). i actually just noticed i barely naired at all. whoops.

watch the yoshi one ;)

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
hey guys can you critique this vid please against a lv9 mk.
Im sorry for the bad quality and
and i should have payed more attention on the first stock, also i
dont know why there wasnt an ending on the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYIkDdCiq8
Ooiiii.

Don't don't don't fight CPUs. You develop bad habits.

Case in point: everytime you recovered you tried to sweetspot the ledge. A human player could have easily run off the side and instant ledgegrabbed to edgehog you, and there goes your stock. :ohwell: Mix it up more, go over the edge if it looks unsafe to try and grab the ledge.

Erm... too many smash attacks thrown out haphazardly.

Hard to judge matches vs. CPU... Try our online thread if you need a human to play against.

-Kickflip-

Smash Rookie
thanks for the advice. i dont really have anyone to fight who can even beat a lv9 cpu so i try to work on basics with cpus.. spacing etc. oh and if i pkt2 to the edge aslong as im on an angle doesnt lucas continue upwards if they try edge hog me, ill get better footage from the next tourney i attend and post it, and thanks again neon ness.

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman

Makachu

Smash Rookie
Reply to Painodude700

Hey everyone, I'm completely new here, but hope I can give some critique.

First of all, I very much enjoyed watching your matches. Especially against Mario and Lucario. I've noticed myself that some of my most fun matches are against Mario players.

Since I'm new and don't have much experience fighting, let alone against other Lucas players, your tech skill seemed to be very good. Wavebounces (I think you wavebounced) and zapjumps were mixed in a great deal making the matches very enjoyable. I think I only noticed 2-3 moments where you did the wrong move (ex. pk fire when trying to PKT2). The only thing I would see added that could add some more danger to your Lucas is the addition of pivot grabs, and RAR B-smash as an edge-guarding type technique. You only missed, I belive, 2 grabs and got in some other ones. Other than that, my inexperienced eyes very much enjoyed the matches. I definitely see how I could much improve my Lucas by watching your match ups.

The only other thing that you, and every other Lucas player, needs to do is be able to PKT2 BLINDFOLDED, well ok maybe with our eyes closed, to exactly where we want to go. I know I have a long ways to go as a Lucas player, but I've managed to save myself every once in a while by PKT2 when Lucas is off the screen. At that point most players consider you dead and wait for that stock to fall. I believe ("I have a dream..*cough*") we should all perfect that to a tee.

Well, there's my two cents. I'm not ever sure if I did this correctly as this is a critique thread. Let me know what you think (anyone). Thanks for some very entertaining matches to watch.

Thanks for the greet lil cj, good to be here.

Makachu

Smash Rookie
Critique to the video above

This is a critique for the fox vs Lucas match.

First of, heck ya awesome ending. That is definitely a great feeling, when you pkt1 someone right into a pkt2 :D great stuff.

Ok the actual critique/advice. The first thing I was hoping to see more of, I don't think I saw any, was short hopes and an air game from Lucas. There were a few times that you did SH but you did not do any air attacks. Granted nair, although useful, can get predictable and you can be grabbed by a good character from it. But still, I would have liked to see it a couple of times, especially against a fox user.

The other thing I would have liked to see, this adds into the SH air game, is spot dogdes. Spot dodges into nair or jab combos tend to make your opponent more cautious of you, and gives you some good mind-messing-up capabilities. That and they can set up a decent juggle of your opponent.

And the last thing that I really took note of was the use of PKT2 to get back on stage. At around 1:02 you PKT2 back onto the stage. When I saw this the first time I thought "Well there goes a stock". The reason I thought this was because Fox was more than close enough to jump out and reflect your PKT away from you. This has happened to me against some very good fox players. So depending on the level of player you face you might want to consider learning to tether back onto the stage. That is a good skill to have against the better players because they are just waiting for you to try and PKT2 back onto the stage (note that most of these "better players" I speak of beat me 95% of the time :psycho:).

Other than that I very much enjoyed the match, I also saw you play similar to how I would play, so that was enjoyable to watch.
Any comments or questions feel free to add onto this. Also I'd like to hear some feedback from other more experienced Lucas players. I find that in watching/critiquing other players I find out a lot more out of Lucas. Such as using him in ways I would not have thought of.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
me vs. fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA_63EZ7pXY

this match had an epic finish
lol @ the ending, that was epic. the only thing in addition to what makachu said was that i constantly heard you using/trying to use pkt... i like using it as an attack too but be careful of over using it.. you got punished a lot for trying to use it to be too offensive

Ratheronfire

Smash Rookie
Would anybody mind if I uploaded a couple replay .bins instead of uploading a YouTube video? I can't remember if replays work when you send other people the file directly, so I may not be able to in the first place.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
I don't think .bins can be opened. Trust me, I asked that question also a long time ago, the answer I got was no :(

Anyways, friendly from a local Tourney:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh78iqyTcN4

Although Lucas is one of my mains, he isn't as good as my TL (trying to get him there), would it be wise to start using him in actual matches?

I also gotta upload another friendly of me getting Two stocked by Galeon in Lucas ditto's :p

mobilisq

Smash Ace
yeah i played a couple friends in a different town and then emailed the replays to myself to put on my machine. you can upload the bins but only people with sd cards will be able to watch them, though that much should be obvious

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAiyS_dkpjI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qD-AsNBgFc

These are two matches from a set that I had with my friend who plays Lucario, Yoshi and Falco. The third match is a video response to the second. I know that I'm just a scrub at Lucas, so yeah. :x Thing is, these smashfests (with standard tournament rules, by the way) that I hold at my house only happen like once every few months and last only 5 hours, so I wouldn't have much time to practice my Lucas with a human. I guess that's why I haven't mastered any of the advanced techniques yet.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Only saw the first video, but:

Your Lucas ain't bad. Do you B-Stick (Set C-Stick to Specials if you use a GameCube controller)? That first kill could have been prevented though if you knew your tether recovery spacing. Once you learn the Magnet Pull (PK Fire in mid air + Magnet) your recovery should improve. I saw a lot of NAirs aut canceling when they hit the ground and you didn't take much advantage of them. When you see a NAir auto cancel when it hits the ground, go to jabs, FSmash, or Jab Cancel into a Grab (Risky) or another NAir. Overall good job, your Lucas does not suck, mines does.

Getting wrecked by Galeon in Lucas ditto's from a tourney (friendly) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89izY6Pt5WA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZp3HkXOi4 Offline friendly vs a friend

BTW, can anyone critique my above vids?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Advice for all new Lucas players that will make you good!

1. Learn to DI. Being able to survive is the difference between a scrub and a decent player. Learn what directions moves send you and get the muscle memory to DI them correctly. This just takes practice and it's something everyone needs to learn.

2. Stop rolling all the time. There are times when rolling is useful and times when it's going to get you *****. More often than not, it's better not to roll.

3. Use moves to hit opponents, not to throw out randomly. Another thing we all need to be aware of. Throwing out random moves is obvious, predictable and gets you punished.

4. Work on recovering. This has a lot to do with how you DI things. DI well and use your recovery well and you'll avoid most gimps and edgeguards.

5. Learn matchups. Learn what moves you can punish with what. Learn the tendencies of the characters you're fighting against. Pick up some other characters and mess around with them.

6. Watch videos of pros. Tons of vids of m2k, ally, lain etc are on youtube. Watch them. They'll help you learn to space.

7. Watch other lucas mains. Go on youtube and search tyr, galeon, oats, akira, heytallman etc. A lot of the people who post around here have vids of them somewhere. Look on threads and look up their names on youtube.
- Copy what tournament going Lucas's do. It's a lot of good stuff.
- Ignore what tournament going Lucas's do. You won't get better if you're trying to emulate someone else. Develope your own style and take Lucas to the next level yourself.

8. Go to tournaments. Money match or get friendlies with good people. It will only cost you a dollar and it'll make you better. Wifi can help too but the tournament experience can really help you get better fast. Try to play with people who are better than you as much as possible. Record videos of you getting ***** and figure out why you got *****. Videos where you dominate people are not going to help you get better because your opponent probably just sucks or doesn't know what they're doing against Lucas.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Tyr, you need to upload some more matches on to a youtube account so we don't have to randomly google or youtube and get really random matches.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
the only videos I like of my lucas are my match against m2k on smashville and against hateoni on brinstar. next time I have more videos uploaded I'll just make a thread with all of them or something.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That'll be awesome, and don't think that your only good videos are of you and M2K. All your matches will help people that need Lucas help.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Only saw the first video, but:

Your Lucas ain't bad. Do you B-Stick (Set C-Stick to Specials if you use a GameCube controller)? That first kill could have been prevented though if you knew your tether recovery spacing. Once you learn the Magnet Pull (PK Fire in mid air + Magnet) your recovery should improve. I saw a lot of NAirs aut canceling when they hit the ground and you didn't take much advantage of them. When you see a NAir auto cancel when it hits the ground, go to jabs, FSmash, or Jab Cancel into a Grab (Risky) or another NAir. Overall good job, your Lucas does not suck, mines does.
first and foremost i would like to apologize for my friends being so noisy during the video.

Yes I B-stick, but I use Classic Controller instead of GC. I only started playing like last December and by then it would be hard to find a GC controller.

I have a tendency to use PK Thunder as a recovery too much although I've also gotten used to using my tether. I know how to Magnet Pull, I just haven't gotten used to using it offstage, I'm also working on using Zap Jumps as a recovery more often. About the Nairs, I just noticed that the opponent gets knocked back by the knockback hit so often that usually I don't bother following up, and if they don't get hit by the knockback hit, I instinctively start another SH Nair...

Top Bottom