• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia: What are we going to do?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Guess who has a car and semi-lives in tong's dorm, chad?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
If he knew anything, he would be watching Psych on USA right now. <3

SleepyK

haha, I can basically when everyone here is free for smash bros. Since it's between the end of the year and the previous tests, most of the tech and co are sort of freed up from work.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
This is one of the main reasons why it's hard to get GA as a whole up there competitively. Also the other thing I noticed is when I see myself or other peeps like fullmetal, marty etc try to help these people they always bring up the "it's too late to get better" card. (as I'm reading the first post Wes just made, he basically said the same stuff lol).

What needs to be done? being gentle just like wes said will help but we also need to be a bit rough as well. Creating a small crew in GA, bonuses for new GA players that win tourneys, challenge ladders are some ways of doing this. The crew thing will be the hardest and longest thing to accomplish because the new players will see that instead of trying to beat just one person to be the best, they'll have to deal with 4-5 peeps. He will either. 1, not care. 2, try and reach the skill level of the crew. 3. start his own crew of friends that play, random smashers to rival that crew. This kinda thing worked in nyc's early stages of melee and with the right attitude and determination will work in GA. this idea's combined with advertising will create competitive growth but like I said before will take time and thats ok. Melee isn't going anywhere.

LOL Wes's post sounds like a "fix the USA's economy" speech. *votes*

Yo, catching up on my reading of this thread, but this is more of what we need. Ideas. . . and promises. We need promises that are easy to commit to, not some wild antics or fantasy ideas or notions, but a simple "i'll ask the nerdy kid in my class if he's ever played melee" or next time other fighters are brought up, talk about how strong smash is still going. These kids dont all know it used to be bigger, they dont need to know that yet, they need to think its going strong

THEN SEE THE COMPETITION

THEN TELL THEM HOW GOOD IT USED TO BE

AND LET THEM KNOW THEY CAN BE AN IMPORTANT STEP (PERSONALLY) IN BRINGING THAT BACK

^^^^^^ THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO, LET THEM KNOW HOW GOOD THE COMMUNITY IS, HYPE IT UP IF YOU HAVE TO, TALK ABOUT HOW CRAZY CERTAIN MATCHES HAVE BEEN, AND LET THEM KNOW THEY CAN BE THAT PERSON PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Got ya.

uhhh. What got me into melee were combo videos. I saw **** and it made me "wow". I'm just the kind of person that likes to make people "wow", so I just get right to it. Show them GA wes's combo video. I still can't believe C. Falcon can do some of that ****.
Haha, hell yeah man, i like your spirit. Just dont let failure get to you, everyone fails for a while, some people come in here, say they're out for number 1, lost to number 15 or so, and disappear, i implore you to stick it out, you can do that **** if you're out for it for real, so do it ! ^_^ oh, and bring your friends, i wanna put as many GA players in our major tourney's brackets as possible!!!!!!!!!

GAwes

mike, sorry for double posting so much, i honestly have no idea how to use the multiquote function across several pages lol

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Yo, catching up on my reading of this thread, but this is more of what we need. Ideas. . . and promises. We need promises that are easy to commit to, not some wild antics or fantasy ideas or notions, but a simple "i'll ask the nerdy kid in my class if he's ever played melee" or next time other fighters are brought up, talk about how strong smash is still going. These kids dont all know it used to be bigger, they dont need to know that yet, they need to think its going strong

THEN SEE THE COMPETITION

THEN TELL THEM HOW GOOD IT USED TO BE

AND LET THEM KNOW THEY CAN BE AN IMPORTANT STEP (PERSONALLY) IN BRINGING THAT BACK

^^^^^^ THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO, LET THEM KNOW HOW GOOD THE COMMUNITY IS, HYPE IT UP IF YOU HAVE TO, TALK ABOUT HOW CRAZY CERTAIN MATCHES HAVE BEEN, AND LET THEM KNOW THEY CAN BE THAT PERSON PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT
My problem is I need to introduce people to a good crowd. I wasn't introduce to a crowd that I would get into. If someone is going to start talking trash to friends I have here in Grayson, then I will not introduce them to you guys. If you people can keep the attitude positive and respectful then I will bring in more players. I'm already trying to get the girl I want to date into it and her 15 year old brother. They're both into anime, so they semi sorta have the personality to play smash for fun and maybe competitively. I will not introduce this girl to a negative group of friends though.

Haha, hell yeah man, i like your spirit. Just dont let failure get to you, everyone fails for a while, some people come in here, say they're out for number 1, lost to number 15 or so, and disappear, i implore you to stick it out, you can do that **** if you're out for it for real, so do it ! ^_^ oh, and bring your friends, i wanna put as many GA players in our major tourney's brackets as possible!!!!!!!!!

GAwes

mike, sorry for double posting so much, i honestly have no idea how to use the multiquote function across several pages lol
I'm probably the most competitive person you'll ever meet man lol. You don't have to worry about me and my personal game. Just make sure the "seniors" of the community become more respectable people because a negative crowd isn't something I would like to experience or ask my friends to.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
My problem is I need to introduce people to a good crowd. I wasn't introduce to a crowd that I would get into. If someone is going to start talking trash to friends I have here in Grayson, then I will not introduce them to you guys. If you people can keep the attitude positive and respectful then I will bring in more players. I'm already trying to get the girl I want to date into it and her 15 year old brother. They're both into anime, so they semi sorta have the personality to play smash for fun and maybe competitively. I will not introduce this girl to a negative group of friends though.
Oh, Christ on a cracker.

Let it go.

Smooth Criminal

GAwes

Hidden Boss

I'm probably the most competitive person you'll ever meet man lol. You don't have to worry about me and my personal game. Just make sure the "seniors" of the community become more respectable people because a negative crowd isn't something I would like to experience or ask my friends to.

well the thing is dood usually the most annoying people are the loudest, you'll find that when you show up to smashfests (the right ones) or tourney's you'll see that the annoying smashboards kids arent necessarily the most imporant ones to real life conversations haha. Just beast that ****, meet some people, bring them along, and everyone get beast as ****. Im down for a lot more tournies, even if they are only 5 dollar entry for singles and teams, this **** shouldnt be about money, it should be about pride.

PS

TEAMS ARE IMPORTANT GEORGIA, STEP IT UP MAN, WHERE THE TEAMS AT? YOU GUYS CANT HONESTLY ACT LIKE (MOST OF YOU, I UNDERSTAND IT ACTUALLY IS A FACTOR FOR SOME AND TO YOU THIS IS NOT DIRECTED) AN EXTRA 5 OR 10 BUCKS IS THAT MUCH, IM NOT SOME RICH SNOBBY *******, IN FACT AT THE MINUTE IM PRETTY MUCH BROKE, BUT **** DOOD, NEXT TIME YOU BUY SOME STUPID *** DVD OR SHIRT YOU WONT WEAR OR GO TAKE SOME GIRL TO A MOVIE THAT ISNT GOING TO GO OUT WITH YOU, OR GO TO SOME FAST FOOD PLACE AT 2 IN THE MORNING BECAUSE YOU ARE FARRRRRR TOO GOODDDAMMMNNN LAZY TO JUST MAKE A SANDWICH, REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD BE HELPING YOUR STATE AND ACHIEVING PERSONAL AMBITIONS JUST BY ENTERING A TEAMS TOURNAMENT

SOME OF YOU ARE THINKING "dood its not that big of a deal"

BUT IM MAKIN IT ONE BETCCHHHESSSS

IF IM WRONG, THEN YOU WASTED A LITTLE TIME POSTING AND MAYBE A FEW DOLLARS OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL MONTHS

IF IM RIGHT THOUGH

GEORGIA WILL RAPPPPPPPEEEE AASSSSSSS

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
well the thing is dood usually the most annoying people are the loudest, you'll find that when you show up to smashfests (the right ones) or tourney's you'll see that the annoying smashboards kids arent necessarily the most imporant ones to real life conversations haha. Just beast that ****, meet some people, bring them along, and everyone get beast as ****. Im down for a lot more tournies, even if they are only 5 dollar entry for singles and teams, this **** shouldnt be about money, it should be about pride.

PS

TEAMS ARE IMPORTANT GEORGIA, STEP IT UP MAN, WHERE THE TEAMS AT? YOU GUYS CANT HONESTLY ACT LIKE (MOST OF YOU, I UNDERSTAND IT ACTUALLY IS A FACTOR FOR SOME AND TO YOU THIS IS NOT DIRECTED) AN EXTRA 5 OR 10 BUCKS IS THAT MUCH, IM NOT SOME RICH SNOBBY *******, IN FACT AT THE MINUTE IM PRETTY MUCH BROKE, BUT **** DOOD, NEXT TIME YOU BUY SOME STUPID *** DVD OR SHIRT YOU WONT WEAR OR GO TAKE SOME GIRL TO A MOVIE THAT ISNT GOING TO GO OUT WITH YOU, OR GO TO SOME FAST FOOD PLACE AT 2 IN THE MORNING BECAUSE YOU ARE FARRRRRR TOO GOODDDAMMMNNN LAZY TO JUST MAKE A SANDWICH, REMEMBER THAT YOU COULD BE HELPING YOUR STATE AND ACHIEVING PERSONAL AMBITIONS JUST BY ENTERING A TEAMS TOURNAMENT

SOME OF YOU ARE THINKING "dood its not that big of a deal"

BUT IM MAKIN IT ONE BETCCHHHESSSS

IF IM WRONG, THEN YOU WASTED A LITTLE TIME POSTING AND MAYBE A FEW DOLLARS OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL MONTHS

IF IM RIGHT THOUGH

GEORGIA WILL RAPPPPPPPEEEE AASSSSSSS
Ya, I got you man.

We should try to get a ladder going for GA. A league with seasons. Make it more professional and competitive. Right now it's not really professional. I played Starcraft for 6 years and ladders are where the competition is at. We need to make a ladder with maybe $ involved and bragging rights.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Ya, I got you man.

We should try to get a ladder going for GA. A league with seasons. Make it more professional and competitive. Right now it's not really professional. I played Starcraft for 6 years and ladders are where the competition is at. We need to make a ladder with maybe $ involved and bragging rights.
agreed man, gotta start a bit slower, im hopin for that sort of thing by next summer, and hopefully if i go live in france for a few months things wont god**** fall apart like they did the last time i left the states. Things used to be professional as **** man, during GA's heyday we were part of a southern ranking circuit and held 70+ attendence tourney's every 3 months, with new kids at every one, ****, i ran 11 tourneys with an average turnout of about 80 people across the span of 4 years, now thats **** son.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
agreed man, gotta start a bit slower, im hopin for that sort of thing by next summer, and hopefully if i go live in france for a few months things wont god**** fall apart like they did the last time i left the states. Things used to be professional as **** man, during GA's heyday we were part of a southern ranking circuit and held 70+ attendence tourney's every 3 months, with new kids at every one, ****, i ran 11 tourneys with an average turnout of about 80 people across the span of 4 years, now thats **** son.
Ya of course. You can't really make a ladder with 6 people competing lol

I'll definitely try and help build the community though.

SleepyK

A ladder would only REALLY be helpful if... once again, melee was a game that still brought people in. It's more of a post-idea than a set up idea.
For example, Halo 2 still has leaderboards, and it's a better game than Halo 3 skill-wise, but no one wants to play the old stuff anymore.
The problem with the old days is that Melee was still the latest game in the series at the time.
People say that Tekken Tag was one of the best in the series, but Tekken 5 is where the tournaments are at since it's the new stuff. People like shiny new things, regardless of their quality. Just listen to the music nowadays, lol. Wes, it's no longer 2007, the new game in a series is out, and everyone wants the new "hotness."
We have precious few options for increasing tournament attendance in Melee. The easiest venue is to attract the brawl players, of course. The ladder is a great idea, but once again, it wouldn't work too well prior to a thriving community - Power rankings with the addition of a tier two could start off as a rudimentary ladder ranking system.
We also need more hype for melee tournaments in general. Waba's monthly advertisements are
"tournament on this day."
that's it, no bells and whistles, nothing to attract people.
There's also a small schism between the brawl players and the melee players which needs to be bridged.
Let's also not forget the lack of cars for the younger players.

I'm willing to drive people places if need be. I always have been, and I rarely ask for gas money.
We could set up some weekly or biweekly smashfests at waba, big ones. Or even Tong's dorm if it's more convenient for some. I mean, serious, serious smashfests/mini tournaments. Ones that people will always show up to and can bring their melee curious friends to. We have to record awesome matches, record us having an awesome time and hyping **** like ****ing crazy, which doesn't happen to often in brawl OR melee anymore, and put them up online for people to see. We can make a big thread and start putting **** up. But we have to organize at least something to begin with, lol.
like the panel. Our Savior Wes, who's on the panel?
Let's get people pumped about being the best in the state.

Edit: lol, oops, you guys already addressed the ladder thing.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
A ladder would only REALLY be helpful if... once again, melee was a game that still brought people in. It's more of a post-idea than a set up idea.
For example, Halo 2 still has leaderboards, and it's a better game than Halo 3 skill-wise, but no one wants to play the old stuff anymore.
The problem with the old days is that Melee was still the latest game in the series at the time.
People say that Tekken Tag was one of the best in the series, but Tekken 5 is where the tournaments are at since it's the new stuff. People like shiny new things, regardless of their quality. Just listen to the music nowadays, lol. Wes, it's no longer 2007, the new game in a series is out, and everyone wants the new "hotness."
We have precious few options for increasing tournament attendance in Melee. The easiest venue is to attract the brawl players, of course. The ladder is a great idea, but once again, it wouldn't work too well prior to a thriving community - Power rankings with the addition of a tier two could start off as a rudimentary ladder ranking system.
We also need more hype for melee tournaments in general. Waba's monthly advertisements are
"tournament on this day."
that's it, no bells and whistles, nothing to attract people.
There's also a small schism between the brawl players and the melee players which needs to be bridged.
Let's also not forget the lack of cars for the younger players.

I'm willing to drive people places if need be. I always have been, and I rarely ask for gas money.
We could set up some weekly or biweekly smashfests at waba, big ones. Or even Tong's dorm if it's more convenient for some. I mean, serious, serious smashfests/mini tournaments. Ones that people will always show up to and can bring their melee curious friends to. We have to record awesome matches, record us having an awesome time and hyping **** like ****ing crazy, which doesn't happen to often in brawl OR melee anymore, and put them up online for people to see. We can make a big thread and start putting **** up. But we have to organize at least something to begin with, lol.
like the panel. Our Savior Wes, who's on the panel?
Let's get people pumped about being the best in the state.

Edit: lol, oops, you guys already addressed the ladder thing.
We need to make smash more professional. Drag the noobs to Brawl. Introduce them to the community. Let them get the feel for smash brothers and the (friendly) people. Bring them to melee after. Don't try to kill off Brawl. I like playing Brawl.

We should make a GA Smash forum(Desu) and try to build smash brothers in the state as a whole, not just melee, not just Brawl. Don't talk down on either game because that will split the community. After the community gets big enough we can create a league with a ladder. I think Brawl is getting big enough to start a ladder.

Sleepy try to help me setup my Brawl league and once we have that running well, we can duplicate it as a melee one as well. Smash can be an awesome hobby like a sport. Just because it is a video game doesn't degrade you as a person(as a lot of people see it). You just have to show people that.

Show the young ones that it's a safe environment, not filled with drugs and what not. Anything negative like that should be frowned upon. My parents think that all the people I play smash with are losers that are going nowhere in life lol. We need to change that view, so that the young ones can come too.

EVERYONE BRING YOUR FRIENDS TO BRAWL TOURNAMENTS/GET TOGETHERS

BRAWL PLAYERS GET BETTER AT MELEE TOO(key word) AND GAME WITH US

SleepyK

Erm, I'm not too sure what I could do for brawl, but i'll help with what I can.
The problem is that despite being from the same series, they are radically different enough to have separate communities... already.
A slingshot sounds like a good idea, but at the same time it might just drive people further away from melee and more towards brawl. I guess it's a risk we might have to take, though.

I've noticed that at least, in GA, the top brawl players are players that no longer play melee competitively (reflex and desu)
Calvin hasn't really played melee competitively, and I guess biglou and fullmetal are sort of exceptions to this rule.

namynam

Smash Rookie
Im up for playin, my screen name is "thenamynam," ive been competin in games since 2000, from like mvc2/3s/t5/ to ggxx:ac/ssbm/ssbb/ and prob some other stuff...I havent touched melee in awhile, but it wouldnt take me long to pick it back up...If yall went to Final round, ive been goin since like FR7, and i went to a few SSBM tourneys around the SE area....

Ive been playin brawl a good bit, im from Augusta GA but i live in Savannah 9 months outta the year for school. I main Diddy, Falco, Marth, and i doodle around with Wario, Sheik, DK, random chars

In Melee I mained Jiggly. but right before SSBB released i was playin Fox/Falco/Marth jus to do funny stuff...

I usually dont get on smashboards, but i might randomly check in if somethin is up...lemme kno if yall wanna play...cya

EDIT: does DESU live in ATL? i remember playin him back whem SSBB was fresh at FRXI, so if hes up there i'll def come up :D

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Erm, I'm not too sure what I could do for brawl, but i'll help with what I can.
The problem is that despite being from the same series, they are radically different enough to have separate communities... already.
A slingshot sounds like a good idea, but at the same time it might just drive people further away from melee and more towards brawl. I guess it's a risk we might have to take, though.

I've noticed that at least, in GA, the top brawl players are players that no longer play melee competitively (reflex and desu)
Calvin hasn't really played melee competitively, and I guess biglou and fullmetal are sort of exceptions to this rule.
Ya, but look at all the Brawl kids already trying to get into the melee community. AntiC and the other kids I don't personally Know.

When I was asking about the Ladder I meant a strict rules/point system. You don't even need to know Brawl or how to play it.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5873906#post5873906

the thread is right there. I just need help developing it because I don't have any experience in running one.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Im up for playin, my screen name is "thenamynam," ive been competin in games since 2000, from like mvc2/3s/t5/ to ggxx:ac/ssbm/ssbb/ and prob some other stuff...I havent touched melee in awhile, but it wouldnt take me long to pick it back up...If yall went to Final round, ive been goin since like FR7, and i went to a few SSBM tourneys around the SE area....

Ive been playin brawl a good bit, im from Augusta GA but i live in Savannah 9 months outta the year for school. I main Diddy, Falco, Marth, and i doodle around with Wario, Sheik, DK, random chars

In Melee I mained Jiggly. but right before SSBB released i was playin Fox/Falco/Marth jus to do funny stuff...

I usually dont get on smashboards, but i might randomly check in if somethin is up...lemme kno if yall wanna play...cya

EDIT: does DESU live in ATL? i remember playin him back whem SSBB was fresh at FRXI, so if hes up there i'll def come up :D
Build up the smash community in your area and we can hold big tournaments all around GA. That's how you build it. One person can't build up the whole state.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I'll try to start hosting smashfests at my house weekly, if I can.

Only problem with that is that my grandmother gets pissed when I have lots of people in and the upstairs looks like **** afterwards.

=/

But I'm working on it.

namynam

Smash Rookie
lol savannah already has a community, but they havent really been to a real tournament yet for SSBB, so thats why im gonna take them to FRXII.

Ive already been there done that for building a community, i useto run monthly tourneys for mvc2/3s/cvs2 etc, as well as run a club for competitive fighting games at SCAD, but if im the only player that pushes people to play on a higher level, it jus starts dwindling...now i was jus askin to have some good competitive fun, and actually travelin out and playin some new people, Im not really carin too much about recruiting people into a fighting game atm cause thats all ive been doin for like the last few years, all u can do is introduce it to them, tell them what they can do to spark their interest, and if they dont have that urge to keep pushing it, then they jus arent interested enough...If smash boards is suppose to represent GA in some way of how the competitive scene is, then travel out, show people what you got, or go out and learn somethin from a new crowd.....

Bring the top players together and have a strong foundation to teach and compete, not just bring fresh players in to show we have numbers...Numbers will come later once we have that foundation....once people see theres this strong foundation of players that play on a competitive level, it can inspire, rather than just have players in ur own community get beat up by the same people every day...I dunno how ur area does it, but when we have people from out of town come in, we gather everyone up jus to play, even if the player isnt better....

So if ur so built on building a scene, are you trying to make a scene for just ur area or GA overall? cause if u want GA to have a scene then ur gonna want to get the best players from GA to show the fresh players what we have to offer....

HiIH

Smash Lord
We're workin on it here in Albany. We try to only play melee, and either we bring some more people in or chase em off. We're also starting to get SOME better... trying to help the others step their game up. I know this semester we attracted at least one more person, maybe one or two, but I'm not sure.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
I'll try to start hosting smashfests at my house weekly, if I can.

Only problem with that is that my grandmother gets pissed when I have lots of people in and the upstairs looks like **** afterwards.

=/

But I'm working on it.
That would be great then we can definatly get a ranking system going depending on attendence and its at one solid place sooo evryone will know where to go

Top Bottom