• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia: What are we going to do?

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Yo, Mike and Mike

yall talk to soft or sleepy or fullmetal or somethin and figure out somewhere for some melee this friday or saturday if you can, prrrzzzzz. i just need somewhere to go in north atlanta and those dates would be beast cause me and eugene can def. come, maybe datman, we'll see whats up, but i was talkin to mikey g. last week and he said he should be home and would be down to drop by if we got something goin, so i wanna see him now that the opportunity is rare

and im about to head out to spain for a month, soooooo i wanna get some practice in, and see everyone anyway, lemme know guys, lets do this thang ;)

GAwes

Hidden Boss
Nobody is interested in joining a community of strangers to play a game they've never (or barely) played before. That almost never happens. I came into the community that way, just because I was bored with Halo and watched a bunch of Smash vids on VOD and thought it looked fun, but I am pretty sure 99% of the time that is not why people get interested.

People don't want to put in that kind of effort for strangers. But if their friends introduce them to competitive Smash, show them the ropes, and gently introduce them to the tournament scene without making them feel like complete garbage (i.e., don't 4-stock them every match just because you can--it's incredibly discouraging), then they may actually be willing to put in the effort to become good at the game and bolster the community.

So surely you all have gamer friends who don't play Smash. Those are the people you need to be talking to, not random kids from the anime club (unless you're in said anime club, and said kids respect you and like you enough to give the game a chance). A lot of people, believe it or not, are interested in making friends, and I think if you can show them that Smashers make awesome friends, then they won't care so much if they are garbage for a while, especially if you are willing to teach them things.

Nobody taught me anything or tried to get me into Smash, and I can't really explain why I was interested to begin with, but I CAN say if I had had Smash friends before I started playing in December 2006, who had taught me the advanced techs and showed me what a fun game it was, I would have started playing long before. And I am sure there are others like me who would love to learn a fun new game and make a bunch of new friends if people cared enough to show them.

The point is that I think some of you are thinking about this in the wrong way, thinking that you can get people interested in a video game based on the merits of the game alone and how competitive it is. For people who aren't already into competitive fighting games, this approach actually sounds really intimidating and is almost certainly not going to pique their interest. To get people interested you really need to befriend them first, then get them interested in competitive Smash. And no, you don't need to be best friends with them obviously, but I'm sure many of you have many casual friends already who are into video games--invite them to a Smashfest, emphasize the FUN aspect, not the competitive aspect, and don't exclude them once they are there. Take the time to show them things, offer encouraging feedback, etc. The reality is that being complete garbage at a game is really discouraging in an overly competitive environment, but if the people there are friendly enough then kids will want to spend the effort to get better, just to hang out with those people.

Also, I might be going to graduate school in or near Georgia next year , so I hope your community isn't dead by then if I do end up there.

Quoted for truth GAdogs, this is the first useful post ive seen in several pages, please everyone actually act on opinions like this, not just read and discard them, i mean, think about how simple the concept is,

if

in the next 6 months, you, reading this right now, can get 1 other person to come to half the tournaments in their area

we could theoretically raise our current tournament attendance by 100%

doesnt that sound easy? comon guys, we can do this :)

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
There should definitely be a smashfest going down this coming friday/saturday. If nothing else, let's smash at Waba on Friday- its spacious, 5$ to smash all day and everybody knows where it is.

And I suggest Waba because I can't host a smashfest on such short notice right now, and who else is willing to step up and let all ze smashers into their house?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
There should definitely be a smashfest going down this coming friday/saturday. If nothing else, let's smash at Waba on Friday- its spacious, 5$ to smash all day and everybody knows where it is.

And I suggest Waba because I can't host a smashfest on such short notice right now, and who else is willing to step up and let all ze smashers into their house?
uh me probelm is im in clayton aka by the greatest melee tourney area hmmm

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace

i would love to spend 5 bucks but i am broke and i need someone to pay for me will you pay for me Mike

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

I was a Former Melee player who went to Brawl but I thought about playing Melee before my Brawl reading disc happened(Nintendo >.>) anyways you say there is tourney at Waba on Friday.... That's great but where is Waba could I get an Address?

P.S nvm i found the address

GAwes

Hidden Boss
I was a Former Melee player but I thought but to playing Melee before my Brawl reading (Nintendo >.>)
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

And

AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NOT A TOURNEY AT WABA THIS FRIDAY, MIKE WAS SAYING IT COULD BE A POSSIBILITY. WE'RE SMASHING AT 112'S, THE THREAD IS LISTED ON THE ATLANTIC SOUTH PAGE.

GAwes

Hidden Boss
why is this funny.
you dont know how to cook anything...

Anyway guys, i think we're doing fairly well getting things jumpstarted, im pretty busy with school and **** but i think im gonna write up a superthread to Georgia smash at some point before TO4, a place where you can easily link people who dont play and they wont just be confused out of their ***** by atlantic south.

namynam

Smash Rookie
so yea i jus got my net back, but anyway, Me and some friends picked up melee again and realized how much better it was than brawl...no offense, but Brawl spoiled the crap outta me, so now im jus workin on my consistency of shffls and whatnot, but if anyone near the Augusta area wants to play message me, im up for playin...

nicaboy

Smash Champion
so yea i jus got my net back, but anyway, Me and some friends picked up melee again and realized how much better it was than brawl...no offense, but Brawl spoiled the crap outta me, so now im jus workin on my consistency of shffls and whatnot, but if anyone near the Augusta area wants to play message me, im up for playin...
there were some people who played in around you i believe but i dunno if they play anymore

dashdancedan

Smash Journeyman
I would honestly go to tournaments in Georgia if someone called me on their way to said tournament and reminded me, because I hardly ever check smash lol boards. By the way the GI Joe reference was phenomenal.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Nice thread. Some of yalls good ideas might can help us out up hear at S.C, cause the smash community scene is even smaller than it used to be. And it sucks when you want to prepare for a big tourney like Final Round. But barely anyone to practice with.

PB&J

Smash Hero
Nice thread. Some of yalls good ideas might can help us out up hear at S.C, cause the smash community scene is even smaller than it used to be. And it sucks when you want to prepare for a big tourney like Final Round. But barely anyone to practice with.
go to to4.....

Mith_

Smash Champion
There is nowhere to play here. I just play at my friends house with a few buddies.
Where do you play?

Top Bottom