• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I wish melée had wifi. Lvl 9 CPU is so horrible
Use a level 1 to practice tech skill on. If you want to practice shield pressure, put the damage ratio at .5 and the handicap (whatever it is, I have to configure it randomly every time) appropriate.
lvl 1, lvl 4, lvl 6, lvl 9, empty controller.

All have different uses.

That's what I use to practice.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Happy two year brawl anniversary guys
i thought it just came out today

yeah no idea why mlg announced a circuit for a game that might not even be popular enough since its release was rather low-key

but who knows right

maybe it can get big

yeah a smash game being held as competitive as traditional fighters would be great n64 and melee community was always so small

what a counterpick stage

and why is corneria not on "neutrals" idk what that means but it looks pretty neutral to me, no wars here

:048:

tubes

Smash Ace
i thought it just came out today

yeah no idea why mlg announced a circuit for a game that might not even be popular enough since its release was rather low-key
LOW-KEY?! The Brawl release?! You best be trolling cuz that **** was hyped as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
i know it's low-key cuz all of us are still on smashboards instead of playing the game that came out today

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
even though willis beat y--*shot*

but yeah, as long as we're throwing out ideas, i'd get in on some MK:DD. ****s almost as competitive as mario party 4.

tubes

Smash Ace
But SF4 is a much faster game then Brawl. Also, I doubt MLG is gonna pick up SF4 at this point. They'll probably wait for SSF4.

Also, do people find FPS games fun to watch? Why?

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
But SF4 is a much faster game then Brawl. Also, I doubt MLG is gonna pick up SF4 at this point. They'll probably wait for SSF4.

eh they are like us they enjoy watching people very good at the game they play

yea and dogy ssf4 is faster paced the brawl. **** ive seen people time out 8 minute clock with only 1 stock gone each :tired:

Umby

Smash Master
people like watching faster paced games. the player dont care about the speed, but its gotta be exciting for others

edit: its just a guess but i bet ill be right about it
Depends on how you define "people." If you're talking about the collective people that also watch MLG's other events, even if they don't play them, I could see this being correct. However, it's likely that the people watching Brawl events are people who (obviously) like watching Brawl events, and trust there is a generous number of those people, as shown through livestream attendance.

I find L4D fun to watch sometimes because of how ****ed some of the players can get. It's so hilarious, especially when people play online. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8MXUNJKF4

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
heres the thing tho mlg is basically a business, ok so some people like watching brawl... but is it enough to generate revenue beyond what is put into sponsoring brawl? if the answer is no, or quite frankly is not high enough it will be cut

from da website
For a competitive game to be considered as a title for MLG's roster of games, here are some base characteristics/requirements:

- huge following
- appeals to both new and experienced players alike--i.e. easy enough to pick up, but plenty of depth to make a veteran continue playing
- an attempt at reducing the concept of slippery slope
- skill-based (in one form or another) more than based on luck (though luck always has at a least a small factor due to the nature of life)

- long lifetime, which is determined by the players or community for the game
- the huge following is actually willing to come out to tournaments (this can be demonstrated through consistent tournament turnouts over time, with numbers that exceed minimal ones)

- good showcase for media purposes (not necessarily but can be innovation? updated graphically? etc.)

i changed the sizes to be proportional to how bad they made my head hurt

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ow about you put aside you clear distain for the game itself and just look at the humor: a game specifically designed to be casual has been picked up by the competitive gaming circuit. that fact in of itself overshadows your other (very clear) biases.

Purple

Hi guys!
-brawl is graphically better than melee
-brawl is easy to pick up.
-brawl has a much larger community not sure, someone from the melee community stop me if im wrong, the melee community has a small increase, with pretty much the same people entering tournaments yearly, while brawl's attendance is skyrocketing
- many people from smashboards would watch along with allisbrawl. ALONG with casual gamers who hear about brawl. While it's slow paced, it's easy to commentate, and easy to follow along

From this, this is a pretty good choice for mlg, i'm not sure how long the community will last hough, so i can't say this is good long term.

I understand that brawl is boring, i barely ever watch grand finals, winners finals, or losers finals unless it includes people i enjoy watching (biglou). But from a business perspective, new game = more spotlight.

also, sf4 is slower paced than a large deal of fighters.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
i think melee graphics look a lot better than Brawl graphics.

Brawl graphics are (I guess) smoother, but the characters look big and dumb (sorry)

and I've always thought that even before I was biased....

and Brawl has a bigger community by a good bit I would say. The online community has a lot to do with it.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
For the most part, I enjoy brawl graphics way better then melee.

Except for a few character models in melee that look a bit cooler

tubes

Smash Ace
heres the thing tho mlg is basically a business, ok so some people like watching brawl... but is it enough to generate revenue beyond what is put into sponsoring brawl? if the answer is no, or quite frankly is not high enough it will be cut

from da website
For a competitive game to be considered as a title for MLG's roster of games, here are some base characteristics/requirements:

- huge following
- appeals to both new and experienced players alike--i.e. easy enough to pick up, but plenty of depth to make a veteran continue playing
- skill-based (in one form or another) more than based on luck (though luck always has at a least a small factor due to the nature of life)

- the huge following is actually willing to come out to tournaments (this can be demonstrated through consistent tournament turnouts over time, with numbers that exceed minimal ones)

- good showcase for media purposes (not necessarily but can be innovation? updated graphically? etc.)

The **** do they mean by slippery slope?

Rayku

Smash Lord
BBQ the reason the characters look larger to you is because of the size of the stages. That, and they did make Dedede/Bowser/Donkey Kong obnoxiously larger than the rest of the cast.

I do agree, though, that from a far away glance, Melee is prettier. Except Lucario/Donkey Kong's fur.

tubes

Smash Ace
Brawl's textures have more detail but I like Melee's slightly darker color scheme and character models better. Especially when it comes to Falcon's scarf and Fox's head.

Umby

Smash Master

from da website

- huge following

I can't see how this emphasizes your point when Brawl generally meets this criteria.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I can't see how this emphasizes your point when Brawl generally meets this criteria.
This.

The **** do they mean by slippery slope?
"The more you're losing, the harder it is to play normally."

As an extreme example, let's say that if Ken has lost half of his health, he can't Shoryuken.

The game should not put unnecessarily strong restrictions on a losing player.

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
i seriously doubt brawl will last long like melee (ever heard of brawl +, people want a diff game).
and the media thing is more than graphics. maybe it is a little bit prettier, but it folds out slowlym, which imo does not"showcase"well. brawl has a big*ish* following, but nothing compared to other games they sponsor now like halo 3 (and i think WoW too).

i didnt just randomly highlight things from the excerpt, i gave them some thought first.

Umby

Smash Master
So far I see no solid basis for why you think Brawl won't last long. If it's that people are hacking and making a different game out of it, that serves no foundation for an argument. It shows there are people who don't like playing regular Brawl and would rather play something different, but that's just the general case for any game. A number of people will like it, a number of people won't.

It's really to early to tell that Brawl would die any time soon, especially when there's no solid evidence to support that theory. If anything, the metagame is showing signs of change and a number of characters are developing. I don't think Brawl's potential (however shallow anyone may think it is) has been fully reached yet.

Purple

Hi guys!
So far I see no solid basis for why you think Brawl won't last long. If it's that people are hacking and making a different game out of it, that serves no foundation for an argument. It shows there are people who don't like playing regular Brawl and would rather play something different, but that's just the general case for any game. A number of people will like it, a number of people won't.

It's really to early to tell that Brawl would die any time soon, especially when there's no solid evidence to support that theory. If anything, the metagame is showing signs of change and a number of characters are developing. I don't think Brawl's potential (however shallow anyone may think it is) has been fully reached yet.
tl;dr
you're biased to melee; brawl just came out.

metaknight will still be broke, but those other charaters will look pretty **** cool when MK's banned

Top Bottom