• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can we not dog people for being depressed? People come here with their own baggage and sometimes news comes out that just makes it worse. As somebody who has had depression since 1996 (because of traumatic childhood events, not Geno but, in this day and age, who gives a **** about context, right? Have at it, GameFAQs...), it's almost impossible to find something you enjoy that doesn't just totally put you out of it somedays. Smash is hard, especially because speculation is such a big part of it. There's lots of uncertainty and dealing with houses of cards. The highs are some of the highest of all of gaming but the lows are incredibly low. It's rough on people because they love it but it's not always rewarding and sometimes it can be genuinely devastating for the time and energy you invest.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I have that dude you quoted ignored , but **** him. I named my dog Banjo and he passed away three years ago. That character means a lot to me.
As corny as it sounds, Banjo-Kazooie helped me through the pandemic if I was feeling depressed or overwhelmed at the situation at times. I would go to their trailer and still smile with how they are in Smash. For me, they made the first pass, no contest.

Playable Geno would also help in that regard.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to dig this up and remind everyone of what Sakurai specifically said regarding Geno. Don't let your hope die. If he was aware of fan demand back then, he was aware of during the ballot and definitely aware of it now. Does it point to playable Geno? Not necessarily, but I just thought it was nice to share it with everyone.

1607716092335.png

Nintendo Dream Interview with Sakurai: Part 3 – Source Gaming

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Can we not dog people for being depressed? People come here with their own baggage and sometimes news comes out that just makes it worse. As somebody who has had depression since 1996 (because of traumatic childhood events, not Geno but, in this day and age, who gives a **** about context, right? Have at it, GameFAQs...), it's almost impossible to find something you enjoy that doesn't just totally put you out of it somedays. Smash is hard, especially because speculation is such a big part of it. There's lots of uncertainty and dealing with houses of cards. The highs are some of the highest of all of gaming but the lows are incredibly low. It's rough on people because they love it but it's not always rewarding and sometimes it can be genuinely devastating for the time and energy you invest.
There is a certain level of things that can be excepted.

Turning on your fellow comrades and assaulting other fandoms in a fit of rage is not one of them.

One of the few times we disagree. In fact, seeing stuff like this is getting ME somewhat depressed. Thought we were a little better than this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm *ing bitter and I want to put these words on paper, and know that I mean them from the bottom of my heart - if you like Banjo then * you. I hate you for the fact that you got your dumb cereal mascot from a trashy knockoff Mario 64 before we got virtually anyone else. This goes beyond Geno, *ing Waluigi would have been a better pick than Banjo. I'm glad that he's just a ****ty Mario semi-clone that'll never amount to anything competitively because I ****ing hate looking at him and hearing his sound effects and his music. He was added as nothing more than yet another "look at us, we went to our direct competitor and shilled their console so we could pretend to appeal to fans but actually we just wanted to turn heads and be a media sensation", but blinded by nostalgia for an objectively awful pair of video games you guys think they finally listened to the fans for once. It's sad. And for the record? Geno could be the next three characters and I'd still feel this way about Banjo. * him and **** his fans.
I love you too.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm certainly not going after people for being depressed about these turn of events, but I am going to point out when certain parties are flailing out needlessly and inflicting aggression towards people for no reason. Being stressed, worn-out, however you want to name it, isn't an excuse for some of the abhorrent responses that've been posted today.

And, again, I'm really only seeing one person acting up, so. I fail to see where a lot of this other behavior is coming from.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I get that, I do, but depression isn’t a free pass to **** on others, nor is it a free pass to not face any repercussions from doing so.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Fun fact: for the few people who follow me on Twitter, you may have seen my knee-jerk reaction which was rather defeatist.

Like I said, ALL Geno fans feel the dread and fear, but we also never give up.

Epic Smash Shounen Anime Time!

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I remember all of the worry about Steve vs Banjo, if Steve would ruin Banjo's chances or the other way around, and at the end of the day, both made it in.

Nintendo has gone out to say they know how requested Geno is, they know how much they'll make from him and how big of a reaction he would get, I don't think they'll randomly give him a costume again.

Hope for the best, I believe.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Never realized how obsessed Gamefaqs is. Lot of you guys got a shout out

View attachment 295154
Most of us are nice and reasonable individuals, but they still insist on bothering us for simply liking and talking about Geno or just for posting in here? Why do they even need to know the top posters when they can easily come here and see who’s been posting?

These trolls aren’t even the smart kind. I guess that’s obvious though when they join just to post a one-off, childish remark that does little to nothing. I hope they don’t go harassing us directly...

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, I never liked the concept of 'one rotten apple spoils the bunch.' Its too subjective, gets used as a stock phrase to blanket discussion too easily/often and it get exaggerated. And its misleading. Does one truly ruin the bunch? Does a cracked tile in my kitchen mean I have to burn the whole house down as the tile ruined everything?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is a certain level of things that can be excepted.

Turning on your fellow comrades and assaulting other fandoms in a fit of rage is not one of them.

One of the few times we disagree. In fact, seeing stuff like this is getting ME somewhat depressed. Thought we were a little better than this.
He should just be reported. He's depressed and he's spiraling: basically lashing out so that people retaliate, making him more depressed and feeding the system more. It's a feedback loop and people with depression and anxiety often do it because it forces things like social rejection so that you can mentally justify feeling awful. It's basically the animal "fight or flight" on cruise control and running into pedestrians. He's not going to snap out of it with negative reinforcement. If it's enough of a problem he should be temp banned.

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, I just had a dream that I was watching Seph's presentation, and they got to Geno's costume. They still didn't have it cover the Mii's face like the 'deluxe' costumes, but you could swap the color out like Bomberman. Sakurai started to give a speech that was something like, "Although we aimed to create Geno as a fighter, our team was busy working on something else. Have a look." and then it cut to dragons fighting each other, or something, and a weird lingering shot of an empty space on the stage select menu.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
※有料追加コンテンツ第9弾以降の、新ファイターの発表はございません。

If you let Google translate chop that up as it thinks is appropriate it says no new fighter will be announced after the 9th paid content but the more accurate translation is more akin to "the fighter from the 9th additional paid content will not be announced".
If the "more accurate" translation ("the fighter from the 9th additional paid content will not be announced") is true, then Piranha Plant is not counted, which would open a new possibility: Maybe there might be a slim chance of Geno being a temporary free bonus fighter revealed next week for everyone who bought/buys the 2nd fighters pass, similar to PP? It would make sense to announce him now alongside another Square Enix rep and to push the fighters pass - for sure this would convice many people to buy the pass. Furthermore Nintendo could make some additional money by selling Geno as a standalone DLC at a later date.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
He should just be reported. He's depressed and he's spiraling: basically lashing out so that people retaliate, making him more depressed and feeding the system more. It's a feedback loop and people with depression and anxiety often do it because it forces things like social rejection so that you can mentally justify feeling awful. It's basically the animal "fight or flight" on cruise control and running into pedestrians. He's not going to snap out of it with negative reinforcement. If it's enough of a problem he should be temp banned.
I feel that, but I'd hate to be the one to put in a report.

It's one thing to call in the mods to do SOMETHING about it, but to report one of your own?

Gives me vibes of massive betrayal, like worse than what he's been doing. Like Griffith levels of betrayal.

Wait, I hate Griffith...

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
While I am very excited for Sephiroth, I'm honestly not ready just yet to wave the white flag on Geno. I think Geno has a pretty good shot of dodging the axe again. He's made it this far, we thought it was over when Hero was revealed, but he still remained alive. No guarantees on anything, but I'm willing to remain hopeful for one more week just to see what happens. Not gonna jump ship till we know 100%

pinshadow

Smash Lord
If the "more accurate" translation ("the fighter from the 9th additional paid content will not be announced") is true, then Piranha Plant is not counted, which would open a new possibility: Maybe there might be a slim chance of Geno being a temporary free bonus fighter revealed next week for everyone who bought/buys the 2nd fighters pass, similar to PP? It would make sense to announce him now alongside another Square Enix rep and to push the fighters pass - for sure this would convice many people to buy the pass. And additionally Nintendo can make some additional money by selling Geno as a standalone DLC at a later date.
Piranah Plant is counted, Steve's description said nothing beyond the 8th additional content will be announced.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
If the "more accurate" translation ("the fighter from the 9th additional paid content will not be announced") is true, then Piranha Plant is not counted, which would open a new possibility: Maybe there might be a slim chance of Geno being a temporary free bonus fighter revealed next week for everyone who bought/buys the 2nd fighters pass, similar to PP? It would make sense to announce him now alongside another Square Enix rep and to push the fighters pass - for sure this would convice many people to buy the pass. And additionally Nintendo can make some additional money by selling Geno as a standalone DLC at a later date.
That would make sense since Square content always comes with Square content. Some speculated in the past that Geno could just be a bonus like Piranha Plant.

D

Deleted member

It's one thing to call in the mods to do SOMETHING about it, but to report one of your own?

Gives me vibes of massive betrayal, like worse than what he's been doing. Like Griffith levels of betrayal.

Wait, I hate Griffith...
**** bro, tell me which of my posts broke the rules and I'll report myself.

drewber2635

Smash Cadet
As a FF fan, I'm kind of liking Sephiroth tbh. I wish we could have at least gotten a different FF game represented rather than letting SE milk the f*** out of FF7 (and remake, which isn't even coming to the Switch...). He does look fun imo and honestly I still think Geno has a shot. Its not over until proven otherwise bois.

EDIT: Just thought of this. What if SE let Smash have Geno but they were like "Oh yea, if you want Geno thats cool but you will have to put in Sephiroth first...would that be a possibility/deal between Nintendo and SE?

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Wait, I hate Griffith...
Trust me, it's not betrayal. Like I've said, sometimes I'm a ****head too because of my mental health that day and sometimes people just need grace for that sort of thing. I recognize this behavior in not only myself but my wife which is why I think its okay for a mod to intervene if this situation is causing him this much distress and willing to bulldoze his reputation over it. That's somebody in freefall, not somebody that's trying to be a **** just to be a ****.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
People lashing out at other characters and acting in certain ways that are reprehensible need to be called out at a certain point. I know there are people in here will defend these types of actions until the sun blows up because "They can express their disappointment how they see fit and shouldn't be policed", but nah, society has generally agreed upon what is good and what should be called out. Depression is a serious issue, but when you have someone who is throwing a temper tantrum because things didn't go their way, yeah, no, it should he called out. Doesn't matter if you don't care what others think, I and many others are gonna call it out like it is. Forget GameFaqs, just focus on the behavior. It is childish and I don't care if you will stick fingers in your ears to block sound out, I'm gonna call it like it is: it is childish and if this was always going to be the way you acted if Geno didn't get in, then you it seems like you didn't deserve him in the first place.

I want Geno for you guys, I've been here for over a year, but bloody hell this is just childish. At some point people need to take responsibility for their actions and can't just be like "I can do what I want" and "Stop policing me." Act your age and have some dignity and self-respect.

Last edited:

Bob-Omber

Smash Cadet
In the corner drinking a frosty with a straw
Hm. ...Y'think it's settling or something for me to hope we're getting Geno as a Piranha Plant-styled standalone now? Obviously, I'd still prefer he come as a full pack with a stage, but - I mean, if someone's gonna cut your legs off in a week, wouldn't you hope they let you keep one?
Settling or not, a full character would be better than a costume imo, even if there's no music or stage.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Just thought of this. What if SE let Smash have Geno but they were like "Oh yea, if you want Geno thats cool but you will have to put in Sephiroth first...would that be a possibility/deal between Nintendo and SE?
That's completely possible, or maybe they just asked for Geno after already deciding on Sephiroth and decided on him in 2019 as either a bonus, one of the first fighters in a possible third pass, or somehow being last.

drewber2635

Smash Cadet
That's completely possible, or maybe they just asked for Geno after already deciding on Sephiroth and decided on him in 2019 as either a bonus, one of the first fighters in a possible third pass, or somehow being last.
That's what Im thinking honestly. To me this feels like SE getting some marketing freedom in exchange for Geno. Why promote a game (Remake) in a game that is on a console that isn't even going to get said (Remake) game? Sure the port of the original PS1 game is on the eshop but SE doesn't care about that

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I agree we shouldn't go into full doomposting mode (and jesus some of you guys need to chill), but at the same time the costume showing up next week is clearly the most likely outcome here. Can you really see Square getting a FOURTH CHARACTER in the game, and a third newcomer in one game? I can't.

Would people really see Geno getting in as a square character a square rep though

Think about it. When the splash screen comes up, what will it say. It will say smash X Super mario RPG.

People will assume it’s a mario rep

It’s perfect for Nintendo and square but also quite greedy. I wouldn’t put it past them and I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo went to square for Geno but square said they wanted another character instead and then they both came to an agreement which was sephiroph as the SQUARE rep and Geno as the NINTENDO rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom