• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

ahem

Actually, ladies and gentlemen, if you could so kindly turn on your Nintendo Switch and select the News icon, please scroll down to the article with a thumbnail of The Game Awards (dated 11/24/2020). In said news article, Nintendo congratulates the nominees for this year's awards and encourages to stay tuned to the event. Nintendo has already acknowledged the event plus, albeit no longer part of Nintendo, Reggie's presenting so...
ah so Nintendo skipped Twitter and asked people from the Switch to tune into the event.
1607531891482.png

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
ahem

Actually, ladies and gentlemen, if you could so kindly turn on your Nintendo Switch and select the News icon, please scroll down to the article with a thumbnail of The Game Awards (dated 11/24/2020). In said news article, Nintendo congratulates the nominees for this year's awards and encourages to stay tuned to the event. Nintendo has already acknowledged the event plus, albeit no longer part of Nintendo, Reggie's presenting so...
It says "Winners will be announced at The Game Awards on Dec 10th so please stay tuned if you're curious."

They are saying stay tuned to see who one if you are curious on who won

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to bet that they are currently in the process of recording character 9's Sakurai showcase.
I would hope not; since that would mean a character in late January going by the FP2 recording-release timelapses. Hopefully they show something tomorrow night..

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Although my expectations are low for TGA in regards to Nintendo, I will admit a point that was brought out that with the E3 cancellation, there wasn't a big video game event this year for companies here in the USA. Although things have been announced throughout these last few months, there could be some things being shown because of a lack of a "big gathering."

Granted, I am still not expecting much, but it is true this is the "BIG" Video game thing for companies here in the US without E3.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm part of the camp that really hopes we don't get a Smash announcement for TGA due to the logic that if we do, there is a far higher chance that fighter 8 will be a mainstream 3rd party character and not Geno. I just don't see Nintendo having the balls to announce a semi-obscure Mario spinoff character as their thunder-stealer in front of all the other companies. I'd LOVE it if they did, but it just doesn't seem like something Tendo would do.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm part of the camp that really hopes we don't get a Smash announcement for TGA due to the logic that if we do, there is a far higher chance that fighter 8 will be a mainstream 3rd party character and not Geno. I just don't see Nintendo having the balls to announce a semi-obscure Mario spinoff character as their thunder-stealer in front of all the other companies. I'd LOVE it if they did, but it just doesn't seem like something Tendo would do.
Didn't seem to bother Nintendo when they revealed Palutena at E3 while having Pacman behind closed doors. Or Cloud at a random Direct instead of showcased along the ballot winner.

D

Deleted member

We can hope beyond hope for Super Mario RPG, but overall I do still think that if we get Smash at TGA, it's going to be some zoomer dandy like Fortnite Keanu Reeves and I'm going to be purchasing rope.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The second Fighter Pass most would agree has yet to show off it's equivalent to Banjo. Steve was definitely requested, but he was not requested for as long as Banjo was nor others like Geno or Isaac. I'm pretty confident FP8 and FP9 are going to be the really big guns and that the remaining 2 will be 3rd party legacy picks like Hayabusa and possibily Bandai Namco or Capcom getting another rep.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
ahem

"Tune in if you're curious"
They're saying to watch it if you're curious on who's going to win.

On a topic on a Smash reveal, my stance changed a bit, I'm still on the side of it wont be there, but at this rate? Nobody knows.

Firox

Smash Master
Didn't seem to bother Nintendo when they revealed Palutena at E3 while having Pacman behind closed doors. Or Cloud at a random Direct instead of showcased along the ballot winner.
The thing is, TGA has a different kind of atmosphere than E3 or one of Nintendo's own Directs. There's a reason why Joker was revealed during TGA and not Byleth.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So far, it would seem that Nate the Hate (as he stated in his most recent podcast), is somewhat expecting a Smash announcement at TGA, and so are Andre, and the GameXplain gang (most banking on it maybe being Crash Bandicoot). These are of course expectations/hopes but, the likeness between thoughts is reassuring.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Reggie gets focus in the Skype call:

"My bad"

he disconnects after that.
And then the reveal trailer plays that song we all want to hear.

Like most others, I would have a real hard time believing the PLAN of a solo reveal of Geno at TGA was intended. If there is a reveal for Smash tomorrow, my instincts tell me mass appeal would be Crash was planned for this slot all along. However, if Nintendo (or Square) was calling an audible and moved a reveal around due to scheduling issues from Covid or had something else to announce alongside it then I could see this being the planned platform for an announcement.

My professional experience tells me no way Geoff just asks Nintendo for "any Smash announcement you have" unless they were that desperate for any splash for an awards event being done remotely.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Whether on the Awards or close to the Beware or Mario Cup; or maybe even later...GENO is coming 100% playable my friends, it’s so ****ing clear for me! Hope you can all see this.

It’s happening, this is the perfect character in all terms. Design, moveset, fan demand, music, history, money, animations, etc.

Wait for it cause GENO is AWAKENING!

D

Deleted member

And then the reveal trailer plays that song we all want to hear.

Like most others, I would have a real hard time believing the PLAN of a solo reveal of Geno at TGA was intended. If there is a reveal for Smash tomorrow, my instincts tell me mass appeal would be Crash was planned for this slot all along. However, if Nintendo (or Square) was calling an audible and moved a reveal around due to scheduling issues from Covid or had something else to announce alongside it then I could see this being the planned platform for an announcement.

My professional experience tells me no way Geoff just asks Nintendo for "any Smash announcement you have" unless they were that desperate for any splash for an awards event being done remotely.
Well, like Nate said, TGA needs Nintendo, not the other way around. If Nintendo wants to use TGA as a vehicle to make an announcement, they'll use it no matter how insignificant the broader appeal is and Geoff/TGA is gonna have to roll with it.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So far, it would seem that Nate the Hate (as he stated in his most recent podcast), is somewhat expecting a Smash announcement at TGA, and so are Andre, and the GameXplain gang (most banking on it maybe being Crash Bandicoot). These are of course expectations/hopes but, the likeness between thoughts is reassuring.
that’s not really reassuring at all. If there’s a TGA reveal, it’s 100% not Geno, and just like that, TONS and tons of evidence from over the summer for Geno has been brutally bludgeoned with a knife. Inb4 “no we can’t throw it all away just yet it could still mean Geno 9!!!” No. There’s no ****ing way 9 was going to be revealed that early, even if the year was a normal one. Geno still definitely can be 9, don’t get me wrong, but i’m a realist, not an optimist, that GameStop/Tweeting “evidence” will be effectively flushed down the toilet. The damage control needs to stop at that point. It meant nothing.

I thought most predictors/speculators would be NOT expecting Smash this year, and the fact that they are entertaining it to a decent degree is very worrisome to me. I will pray that there is no Smash reveal tomorrow (which means that there will be one, and it will be Sora or something, ugh. Maybe I should pray for a Smash reveal TO happen so that it doesn’t??)

and if Geno isn’t even 9 either, ahem, to quote Fatman:

“Get worried.”

Paraster

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm just not creative at all, but I can't really come up with a good theme for an online tourney for Geno. "Oops all Guns" feels like it'd be a bit too on the nose, approaching parody... But then again, Min Min's tournament essentially summed up to "fighters who have arms" and managed to exclude 90% of the roster...
Maybe a tournament themed fighters who are/use toys/items that look like toys?

R.O.B.: Is a literal peripheral.
Inkling: weapons are/are made from household items, and the Splattershot flat-out looks like a plastic water gun.
Bowser Jr.: You could argue the Jr. Clown Car is a toy.
Villager/Isabelle: Lloid, fireworks, party popper, plastic hammer, bowling ball, bug net...
Duck Hunt: A bit of a stretch, but their smash attacks are someone firing the NES Zapper.
Ness: His baseball bat.
Mr. Game & Watch: Is a sprite from handheld game devices.
Pac-Man: You could argue his sprite attacks as representations of arcade games?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The second Fighter Pass most would agree has yet to show off it's equivalent to Banjo. Steve was definitely requested, but he was not requested for as long as Banjo was nor others like Geno or Isaac. I'm pretty confident FP8 and FP9 are going to be the really big guns and that the remaining 2 will be 3rd party legacy picks like Hayabusa and possibily Bandai Namco or Capcom getting another rep.
the most Likely for banjo equivalent is crash bandicoot for honest opinion

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
that’s not really reassuring at all. If there’s a TGA reveal, it’s 100% not Geno, and just like that, TONS and tons of evidence from over the summer for Geno has been brutally bludgeoned with a knife. Inb4 “no we can’t throw it all away just yet it could still mean Geno 9!!!” No. There’s no ****ing way 9 was going to be revealed that early, even if the year was a normal one. Geno still definitely can be 9, don’t get me wrong, but i’m a realist, not an optimist, that GameStop/Tweeting “evidence” will be effectively flushed down the toilet. The damage control needs to stop at that point. It meant nothing.

I thought most predictors/speculators would be NOT expecting Smash this year, and the fact that they are entertaining it to a decent degree is very worrisome to me. I will pray that there is no Smash reveal tomorrow (which means that there will be one, and it will be Sora or something, ugh. Maybe I should pray for a Smash reveal TO happen so that it doesn’t??)

and if Geno isn’t even 9 either, ahem, to quote Fatman:

“Get worried.”
GameXplain was predicting Geno or KOS-MOS at the VGAs a year ago. I really wouldn't worry about it because, as Ydisciple put out earlier, the only reminder Nintendo has put out for the VGAs so far was roughly three weeks ago and was more of a "watch it only if you give a ****" more than anything else.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
returns to thread for no good reason

Nintendo's silence around the VGAs is not a good sign. Not that they piped up a ton in the past, but these are all the tweets NOA sent out before the awards show for 2018 and 2019:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1204777864337481731?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070316864310599681?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1205230848611622912?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1196950174049787904?s=20

They also live tweeted the past 3 years. Sort of. They always made a tweet when a Switch game won an award, and the past 2 years had tweets of their staff at the show (including the famous Geoff Keighley wet dream of Reggie, Phil Spencer and who-gives-a-crap Sony-dude). There was also a sale last for the VGAs, if anyone can remember:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070763949660954624?s=20

Also I just wanted to pour some salt in the wound, there was an Indie World the day before the VGAs last year. Totally forgot about that!:

You can keep digging further back and see engagement with the VGAs for 2016, 2015, 2014, and really all the way back to 2009, though less so. My point is that these findings support that it is peculiar how Nintendo of America has pretty much been tight-lipped about the event thus far.

Once again, more evidence that Covid absolutely bent them over and made sweet love to their 2020 plans so hard they started crying, took their ball and headed home. Maybe the rumor that Nintendo of Japan is fuming with NOA and their whole handling of marketing and PR this year is also true? This whole company has been a complete dumpster fire outside their insane financial wins and (apparent) word-of-mouth gains during quarantine.

EDIT: I dug around the past 3 months of tweets and can't find a mention of the VGAs, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Do you have a direct link to that tweet?

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I also think if there’s a reveal in TGA, it’s Doomguy or Crash. Geno can be alone direct as #8 or #9. But I also think it’s totally plausible for Geno to be an Awards reveal. Nothing is sure. I will see of course the Awards as always cause I don’t wanna regret if there’s a reveal and I missed that emotion, live.

Geno will be playable 100%, probably even this week or next week with the reveal. I have all my hope in that. I expect Geno to be #8 or #9 now. I think a good #11 (assuming it’s the last one) would be only Master Chief (in a triple deal with Microsoft) or Sora.

As long as Geno gets in, everything is good. This is happening :)

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I also think if there’s a reveal in TGA, it’s Doomguy or Crash. Geno can be alone direct as #8 or #9. But I also think it’s totally plausible for Geno to be an Awards reveal. Nothing is sure. I will see of course the Awards as always cause I don’t wanna regret if there’s a reveal and I missed that emotion, live.

Geno will be playable 100%, probably even this week or next week with the reveal. I have all my hope in that. I expect Geno to be #8 or #9 now. I think a good #11 (assuming it’s the last one) would be only Master Chief (in a triple deal with Microsoft) or Sora.

As long as Geno gets in, everything is good. This is happening :)
quick question, do you know what time the awards start?

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
5:30 PT, 7:30 CT, 8:30 EST I can say
huh?

Also, just thinking about it logically

• We're 1 for 2 on the VGAs having a Smash reveal. Not exactly a pattern.
  • The 2nd year anniversary event either uses a super recent photo or flies in the face of "Steve + C8 were super delayed guyz"
  • Steve for a FACT was entirely developed during quarantine. We can assume all that other stuff about pre-concept phases and all that, but he was their focus from say Jan-late Summer.
  • C8 could make sense to line up as a delayed 2nd E3 reveal and our Banjo/Terry analogue, sure. But all projections point to the 2nd Fighter Pass being "on schedule" without many changes, i.e. officially nothing has been delayed
  • Nintendo calls the shots on who and what gets revealed and when. They clearly don't want to reveal this character anytime soon if their PR and behavior this year has been any indication
  • January still gives them plenty of time to reveal 3 others after that, easily, before the end of 2021.
  • Byleth was delayed from Dec to Jan, so it's not like there isn't precedent for this stuff
  • There's a metric TON of smoke surrounding Geno. I think he's happening. But insiders are not hyping us up at all. Maybe because Nintendo has been super secretive about leaks since, you know, everything that happened this past year with them and leaks. But still... insiders usually know something. And they're quiet.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
returns to thread for no good reason

Nintendo's silence around the VGAs is not a good sign. Not that they piped up a ton in the past, but these are all the tweets NOA sent out before the awards show for 2018 and 2019:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1204777864337481731?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070316864310599681?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1205230848611622912?s=20
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1196950174049787904?s=20

They also live tweeted the past 3 years. Sort of. They always made a tweet when a Switch game won an award, and the past 2 years had tweets of their staff at the show (including the famous Geoff Keighley wet dream of Reggie, Phil Spencer and who-gives-a-crap Sony-dude). There was also a sale last for the VGAs, if anyone can remember:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070763949660954624?s=20

Also I just wanted to pour some salt in the wound, there was an Indie World the day before the VGAs last year. Totally forgot about that!:

You can keep digging further back and see engagement with the VGAs for 2016, 2015, and 2014 as well, though less so. My point is that these findings support that it is peculiar how Nintendo of America has pretty much been tight-lipped about the event thus far.

Once again, more evidence that Covid absolutely bent them over and made sweet love to their 2020 plans so hard they started crying, took their ball and headed home. Maybe the rumor that Nintendo of Japan is fuming with NOA and their whole handling of marketing and PR this year is also true? This whole company has been a complete dumpster fire outside their insane financial wins and (apparent) word-of-mouth gains during quarantine.
genooo.png

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Nintendo was focused on a hype character 8 for the VGAs, wouldn't it made more sense to have Steve as number 8 then?

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Nintendo was focused on a hype character 8 for the VGAs, wouldn't it made more sense to have Steve as number 8 then?
Steve's response has been fairly polarizing. If they wanted to go for an absolute hype bringer, Crash would be one of the few characters I can realistically think of who would have nearly unanimous praise and people going OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENING!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So? Nintendo had the balls to announce Palutena at E3 2014 instead of the icon legend Pac-Man. Palutena while I love her isn't nowhere E3 material level in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom