• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, here's my timeline for how I think the schedule will play out:

December 2020 - CP8 is Geno and he is revealed at TGA.
January 2021 - Geno releases.
June 2021 - Both CP9 and CP10 are revealed at E3. CP9 is Ryu Hayabusa and CP10 is Crash.
July-August 2021 - Ryu Hayabusa releases.
September 2021 - CP11 is revealed in a our final Smash Direct, and its Rex. Additionally, Crash is set to release right after the Direct.
December 2021 - Rex is released.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Decided to check the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website again (specifically the Fighters section) in regards to something I had noticed yesterday. For reference,
Question. Did Steve's character banner on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website still have the "New Coming 10/13/2020" line on it when looking at the Fighters section? Thought of checking the site out now and just noticed it there. However, if I recall correctly, that line wasn't there before (by this I mean say, last week and such; after the character was released). 🤔
I look at the DLC character banners, and seeing Steve's/Alex's, it no longer has the "Coming 10/13/2020", it only has the "New" tag. A small change, but a change none the less.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Decided to check the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate website again (specifically the Fighters section) in regards to something I had noticed yesterday. For reference,

I look at the DLC character banners, and seeing Steve's/Alex's, it no longer has the "Coming 10/13/2020", it only has the "New" tag. A small change, but a change none the less.
I know this may be reaching...but isn't this a little fishy? Just saying...

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean, the only dogwhistle I'm feeling at the moment for a presentation in the foreseeable future is the combination of yet unseen games that have seen listings, mentions, and ratings over the last few months, namely Doom Eternal Switch, Skyward Sword, and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, and the fact that the September Partner Showcase specifically stated "more videoS in this series will release this year" yet suddenly the very next one in October is the last one apparently. But aside from that none of the usual warning bells are going off and my general intuition is telling me to stay cautious, and I've noticed it tends to be right even if I don't agree with it. If more stuff starts coming up over the next few days to actually support a hypothetical November blow-out I'll bite, but for the time being this feels pretty off.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just want something that I can actually be interested in, at this point. AoC is kinda the only thing I have to look forward to. Forgetting about a possible remake, I'd take just a plain port of SMRPG for the switch, at the moment.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Don't take this too seriously, just posting this for fun

Someone on Smashfaqs, says that Geno on December 23rd with a Freddy Mii Costume. This person HATES the idea of Geno being in Smash, but apparently came across info about Geno in Smash and stuff

I don't exactly buy it. I'll give it props in that a Freddy Costume fits thematically with Geno, with both being Spirits inhabiting a Body, obviously with different circumstances though
I dunno about this, to be honest. While Freddy being included as a Mii Costume seems likely to me (and would make a lot of sense, seeing as he's literally a costume), the precedent so far has always been that only SquareEnix costumes come with SquareEnix-owned characters. Granted, it's not a set in stone rule, but the precedent is still there, and I've little doubt they'll be breaking from that tradition. As much as I'd want this to be real, it's most likely fake.

I kind of do too and, probably an unpopular opinion but I do believe FNAF's deserves a Mii costume. Yes, I know the series has become synonymous with "zoomer cringe" but it's an indie success story, Scott Cawthon by most accounts is a fantastic guy, and the game has had an enormous impact on gamer culture. If Undertale, Cuphead, Shantae, and Shovel Knight all got tips of the hat in Smash, I feel FNAF does too. For a series essentially about possessed animatronics murdering people, the story and success of the series is surprisingly wholesome.
And on that note, while I'm with most of you guys in not wanting them in as a fighter, I'd be alright with a Fortnite costume in Smash. Like it or not, Fortnite is absolutely massive right now, and Nintendo would be crazy not to add something Fortnite by the time this DLC is done. And consider this: They add a Fortnite costume, and if your character is wearing the full set, their taunts are replaced with Fortnite dances, including the infamous Default Dance.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, SOCCERGUY!!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I just want something that I can actually be interested in, at this point. AoC is kinda the only thing I have to look forward to. Forgetting about a possible remake, I'd take just a plain port of SMRPG for the switch, at the moment.
Yeaaaah, it's funny, because while I've completed more games this year than any other, the only one from the past 5 or so years I've actually beaten was DOOM Eternal, that's it, everything else has just been playing ports and emulation. I'm fine with that, mostly because I've realized I really just don't enjoy modern (western) gaming in general that much, but I just kinda end up looking at the games coming out like "Don't Care, Don't Care, Don't Care", and I look at the big developers I actually still trust to either do anything I actually have the resources to play (Valve) or release something I'm personally interested in (Nintendo). Again, I have plenty to play, Pikmin 3 Deluxe is FANTASTIC so far (and what Pikmin 2 should have been) but it's also the only first-party Nintendo game I've bought this year.

(Also I don't want to sound like the typical asshat Metroid fan because I think that while part of their resentment is justified it still feels like they never shut up and a bunch of Nintendo franchises have it WAY worse than them, but the fact we've gone 3 years and still have 0 ACTUAL info on Prime 4 other than the fact it got completely scrapped and went back to Retro who obviously ALSO had ATLEAST 1 multi-year project that got canned and all these weird hires and stuff like "emotional scenes/cinematic pillars" makes me so damn antsy, like just show me the game Nintendo so I know it's atleast still Metroid Prime)

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
7NATOR 7NATOR I remember that Chadendorf leak when I was digging up intel on Vault Boy and just like you said, a character can be mentioned but that doesn't mean they're playable. Steve was also mentioned frequently and Vergeben's claims with Minecraft material coming to Smash was confirmed last month (And wow what a fast month it was).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, given the recent theorycrafting, we should really keep our eyes on what insiders are saying in the next two weeks.
That's part of the problem because there's decent evidence that there was a gag order put out sometime in late September and why hints for the October announcements were so few and far between. In my personal opinion, Nintendo would be smart to drop something this week because the XBOX Series X and the PS5 both release the week of the 9th. As a reminder, Nintendo has greenlit third party releases all the way to summer 2021 but has literally one first party game announced, it's a remaster of a 7 year old game, and it's a February release. Basically what I'm saying is that it would be really, really stupid for Nintendo to stare at its shoes all November when literally its two competitors are full on putting out new consoles.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's part of the problem because there's decent evidence that there was a gag order put out sometime in late September and why hints for the October announcements were so few and far between. In my personal opinion, Nintendo would be smart to drop something this week because the XBOX Series X and the PS5 both release the week of the 9th. As a reminder, Nintendo has greenlit third party releases all the way to summer 2021 but has literally one first party game announced, it's a remaster of a 7 year old game, and it's a February release. Basically what I'm saying is that it would be really, really stupid for Nintendo to stare at its shoes all November when literally its two competitors are full on putting out new consoles.
I'm doubtful that a Smash DLC character would really be that much of a threat to the Xbox X and PS5's launches to be perfectly honest. That, and if anything, Pokemon Sword and Shield's re-release this week with the DLC included wouldn't be hindered by a Smash reveal much either

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm doubtful that a Smash DLC character would really be that much of a threat to the Xbox X and PS5's launches to be perfectly honest. That, and if anything, Pokemon Sword and Shield's re-release this week with the DLC included wouldn't be hindered by a Smash reveal much either
That's kind of what I'm saying though. I'm definitely hoping for Genovember but I think "just" a Smash character announcement is thinking too small. In hindsight, Nintendo has announced A LOT since May but its predominantly been third party and indie stuff so the door is flung wide open for them to announce their own stuff. I mean, ****, even 2 or 3 game announcements would have an enormous impact and why the Mario Direct in September was received so well. People just want new first party stuff to look forward to for 2021, even if it can be counted on a lobster claw.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

I have a pretty good feeling we're going to see this before 2020 ends. Here's to hoping 🤞

That's kind of what I'm saying though. I'm definitely hoping for Genovember but I think "just" a Smash character announcement is thinking too small. In hindsight, Nintendo has announced A LOT since May but its predominantly been third party and indie stuff so the door is flung wide open for them to announce their own stuff. I mean, ****, even 2 or 3 game announcements would have an enormous impact and why the Mario Direct in September was received so well. People just want new first party stuff to look forward to for 2021, even if it can be counted on a lobster claw.
I have a good feeling 2021 is going to be one of if not the best year in the Switch's life.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? 🤔 Articles of Confederation? 🤔
Age of Calamity, the new Hyrule Warriors game that ties into Breath of the Wild.

Today's the last day of that Nintendo Online Open Tournament; here's hoping that we get a Smash announcement within the next few days. Given the timing of the Partner Showcase, I have my doubts, but hopefully it pans out. (especially since, between the timing of that and the Mario-themed Smash tournament that was announced months ago but inexplicably not held until this upcoming December, I have a good feeling that it might be Geno if we get a character announcement between now and the time of that tournament)

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah...forgot that you had said that about insiders. We'll really just need to wait and see.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
theres just one thing that really bugs me, its the intro to Steve's announcement into smash bros. you get Mario, and peach and then to top it of you have cloud (a square enix character) in the trailer as well. in fact, a lot of 3rd parties are in this trailer..

its bugging me for no reason, like i might be going to into thinking here, but i was literally on my seat thinking it was Geno because of a Nintendo and square character in one area. am i thinking too hard on this?

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
theres just one thing that really bugs me, its the intro to Steve's announcement into smash bros. you get Mario, and peach and then to top it of you have cloud (a square enix character) in the trailer as well. in fact, a lot of 3rd parties are in this trailer..

its bugging me for no reason, like i might be going to into thinking here, but i was literally on my seat thinking it was Geno because of a Nintendo and square character in one area. am i thinking too hard on this?
I think it's because you have a lot of gaming icons there, and Steve is a pretty big gaming icon too

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet

Not at all, I even thought the same thing and was excited when I saw Mario, Peach and Cloud, when Mario was in the dark cave I thought he landed in Smithy’s Factory with the different colored eyes being different members of The Smithy Gang, I didn’t even know it was Minecraft related until Steve appeared!

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
Not at all, I even thought the same thing and was excited when I saw Mario, Peach and Cloud, when Mario was in the dark cave I thought he landed in Smithy’s Factory with the different colored eyes being different members of The Smithy Gang, I didn’t even know it was Minecraft related until Steve appeared!
another way that i think about it is like "oh you want geno, ell lets tease you with nintendo characters and cloud which is a square icon! lets throw you off the scent of steve" yknow? xDD

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
I had seen the leak of Steve right before, but not gonna lie got pretty hyped for Geno when Mario got launched.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

I don't remember what I was thinking during it, only that I was amazed by Steve.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

There was Sonic, Mega Man, Pikachu and Terry in there as well, so I’m thinking it was moreso supposed to be icons or something.

When I saw Mario I also thought it may be Geno, though, but I think it makes sense for Steve as well.

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember what I was thinking during it.
i recorded my entire reaction to the trailer, it went like this

1. mario!? ok poster boy..
2. peach... okay dont get your hopes up
3. holy heck!! cloud?!? is it time?!!?
4. sonic pls kick in into the forest ma--
5. i see blocks....
6. no... omg no xD
7. steve.
8.STEVE?!?!?
9. -endless laughing for like 3 minutes-

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Until Covid19 issues resolves around the globe (or at the very least Japan), Nintendo will continue to announced their games 1 to 3 months before their release date. So until mid 2021, tempered a bit your expectations about new Nintendo internal announcements.

This week, they showed their January game (its a collaboration with Koei-Tecmo, I think its a VN, it will be japan-exclusive). We known that they will release Mario 3D World DX and publishing Bravely Default 2 at overseas on February

We still don’t know which is their March game (Monster Hunter Rise is published by Capcom, so it doesn’t count). If its New Pokemon Snap or something releated to Zelda’s 35th anniversary, they can wait until late January or early February to announced it. (It can be also both)

If its another game, its possible that they will announced it at december’s game awards.

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet
another way that i think about it is like "oh you want geno, ell lets tease you with nintendo characters and cloud which is a square icon! lets throw you off the scent of steve" yknow? xDD
Exactly! After the trailer I started thinking why would they specifically put those characters in the trailer especially Peach and even Bowser who appears later on.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that: I didn't notice the squared blocks and thought it was another trailer with WoL (like the Hero one).
If Geno is next, both of them would've been at E3 so we would've gotten a fakeout that was different from Banjo and K. Rool (and one which would've lasted 40 minutes).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom