• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, how soon can we expect any Smash news, according to theories?
Given that Min Min and Steve were announced a few days after an official Nintendo Smash tournament, and we just had another Smash tournament (with the same branding as the one that was followed up by Min Min's announcement) this weekend, some people are speculating that we could get a reveal announced this week.

I thought we might get that a while back, but since we just had a Partner Showcase not that long ago, now I'm not sure. (I'm not sure how much Smash reveals are spaced out from things like regular Directs or Partner Showcases) Here's hoping, though.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Indeed. I was so hyped for July 20th. Didn't help my internet went out the night of the 19th so I had to use mobile phone data at midnight to view Nintendo's twitter and then get disappointed.
Yeah, no kidding! What a mess that was back then!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Multiple investors meetings have pointed to Nintendo news.
June 29th - Min Min's release
August 4th - Pikmin 3 Deluxe's reveal
July 20th - Partner Showcase #1
If you say so, but in terms of not getting some news, don't count that possibility out yet.

Yeah, Partner Showcases are fine, if you like the content. Partner Showcases with 11 or so minutes of third party content don't appeal to as many audiences as a 45 or so minute Direct with first, second, and third party content.
And all I wanted was some Smash news back then. Was that so much to ask?

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, maybe it could be something else. We haven't always gotten Smash news on an investors meeting event, do try not to get your hopes up.
Never said it would be Smash, though that isn't off the table, we were meant to get 4 out of the 6 characters by now, and backloading seems a bit off.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So my idea of us hearing something by the 4th is likely right?
Basically "something" in the next two weeks based on the entirety of Direct history. Of the stuff that's public, Nintendo's fiscal year runs from April to April and the reporting for the first half will be made public on Thursday. So far Nintendo only has one true new game announced for the second half of the fiscal year and it's due out later this month and was announced almost two months ago now.

Again, decided to do it so you all didn't have to, here's when the international presentations have happened in November since Directs first became a thing:

2012- First Wednesday
2013- Second Wednesday
2014-First Wednesday
2015- Second Thursday
2016- First Wednesday
2017- First Tuesday
2018- First Thursday
2019- First Wednesday

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Basically "something" in the next two weeks based on the entirety of Direct history. Of the stuff that's public, Nintendo's fiscal year runs from April to April and the reporting for the first half will be made public on Thursday. So far Nintendo only has one true new game announced for the second half of the fiscal year and it's due out later this month and was announced almost two months ago now.

Again, decided to do it so you all didn't have to, here's when the international presentations have happened in November since Directs first became a thing:

2012- First Wednesday
2013- Second Wednesday
2014-First Wednesday
2015- Second Thursday
2016- First Wednesday
2017- First Tuesday
2018- First Thursday
2019- First Wednesday
If there was ever a year that they wouldn't have anything substantial announced in November, this'd be it. Not that that's very likely regardless. I still believe we'll get something of note. Like I imagine if they didn't have anything planned they would have held onto some other announcements for a bit longer, rather than dumping everything on us all throughout September and October.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
If we do get something, it would presumably be either in the first or second week of November correct. Also, another note, why does Mario RPG music sound better when it's at 1.25 speed, maybe it's just me lol.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

2012- First Wednesday
2013- Second Wednesday
2014-First Wednesday
2015- Second Thursday
2016- First Wednesday
2017- First Tuesday
2018- First Thursday
2019- First Wednesday
So basically, it's a 75% chance we see something this week on the 4th or 5th, with a 25% chance of seeing something on the 11th or 12th. But whatever we're getting is 100% happening within the next two weeks, in the first half of November based on the past 8 years of November presentations

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So basically, it's a 75% chance we see something this week on the 4th or 5th, with a 25% chance of seeing something on the 11th or 12th. But whatever we're getting is 100% happening within the next two weeks, in the first half of November based on the past 8 years of November presentations
Pretty much. The odds of literally anything by November 12th is really high. Plus, DOOM Eternal continues to be the farting elephant in the room especially since these remarks are now almost a month and a half old and partners are done for the year:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Pretty much. The odds of literally anything by November 12th is really high. Plus, DOOM Eternal continues to be the farting elephant in the room especially since these remarks are now almost a month and a half old and partners are done for the year:

... you know, the Doom Eternal Switch port is something that I expected to see in a Partner Showcase, being a big third-party release from a publisher that's been supporting the system since its launch. It would've been perfect for those presentations, yet it never once showed up, and to my knowledge there hasn't been any major updates on it besides maybe the article you posted.

If you'll allow me to put on my tinfoil hat for a second... anyone else think that Doom Eternal on Switch being MIA could mean we're possibly getting an honest-to-god general Nintendo Direct?

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman

Firox

Smash Master

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
... you know, the Doom Eternal Switch port is something that I expected to see in a Partner Showcase, being a big third-party release from a publisher that's been supporting the system since its launch. It would've been perfect for those presentations, yet it never once showed up, and to my knowledge there hasn't been any major updates on it besides maybe the article you posted.

If you'll allow me to put on my tinfoil hat for a second... anyone else think that Doom Eternal on Switch being MIA could mean we're possibly getting an honest-to-god general Nintendo Direct?
I'm really hoping it means a Direct.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I was having some conversations with a friend and our discussion brought something interesting to light.

So the first part of the conversation was whether or not Steve was #78 and planned for E3 or #79 or later and was flat-out pushed up in line due to circumstances. By the end of our conversation, we concluded that Steve could never have been anything but #79. The information just adds up to it being that way.
  • Sakurai stated in January with Byleth that all the characters had been negotiated for already, which means they were negotiated for sometime in 2019, likely in September. This means Steve was already chosen to be a character in 2019.

• Sakurai has stated himself that they work on three characters at a time. This would mean that Min-Min would have started development in late/Q3 2019 in the Terry/Byleth/Min-Min block. This would mean by the time January hit (since Byleth was done in November, and Min-Min was originally aimed for April) we would already have spent time in the Min-Min/77/78 block. However, Sakurai states that Steve didn't start development until April, which conflicts with the 'three at a time' format they have.

• As we know, since development for Steve started in April, at a time of difficult programming and regulations, Steve would never have been ready in time for E3.

• Min-Min getting pushed back due a WOMBOCOMBO of Codroid-19, programming issues with her, sorting out character priority for the rest of the pass, and programming issues with Steve explains the huge delay for both Min-Min and Steve being released.

• Since Steve was already negotiated for in 2019, it was likely part of the contract to have his reveal and breakdown timed around MineCon. This isn't something you can simply reschedule for in an age of viruses and cancellations: it's much more likely Steve was always meant to be ready for a big MineCon showing, but since Sakurai foresaw how difficult he would be to program and how new regulations would hinder their work efficiency, it was decided Steve would be pushed to #77 to make sure he was ready in time for MineCon.

So now that it's perfectly clear that Steve was bumped up from #79 to #77, that would mean that up until recently we were in the Min-Min/Steve/new 78 block now. So the big question is, who got moved to #78? Well, I know I say this all the time, but I REALLY think it's Geno. Why is that? Well, let's look at the evidence.
  • The odds of us getting more Nintendo news in general this November is very high, mostly because Nintendo has made it past precedent to have something. Add in Nintendo saying that October had the last Partner Showcase of the year and yet we have all this time left for more announcements and the Direct Archive keeps updating like crazy point and it feels like Nintendo has at least a couple more things to hit us with before they let the Christmas Madness come through.

• We had an explosion of rumors about Geno in August of 2019. Rumors of Chief popped up around December of 2019, which we now know was more about Steve when it came to another Microsoft rep but the community at large had written off Steve due to Banjo's inclusion and just assumed it had to be Chief.

• CacoMallow came out in November of 2019, and we are three days away from it's one-year anniversary. They gotta show us those costumes eventually, and they really can't hold onto them as a secret for too much longer.

• We got those sudden teases about Geno from Jeff Grubb and more importantly Imran Khan who didn't talk about SMRPG nearly as much as Grubb.

• Square has been notorious for being picky and kinda like a fussy backseat developer when it comes to their IPs. Square also has a plethora of characters people love and is undoubtedly getting more characters in Ultimate considering Sakurai has shown a pattern to work with companies he has worked with in the past. Thus, it would make sense that if a Square character was being worked on and Codroid-19 hit hard, the new regulations would practically halt any work done on said Square character since they are the kind of company to insist on being there for nearly every step of the way.

• So, interestingly enough, the Mario Characters Only Tournament for Ultimate (which oddly enough, has been done before) was delayed in addition to a bunch of other Mario content. Since the 35th Anniversary level in SMM2 was originally scheduled for sometime in April, we can likely assume that this tournament was also heavily delayed, which means it very well could have lined up with a fighter from E3.

Despite being delayed once, they announced it in September that it was slated for 'Later In The Year' which we then found out was November/December. Now think about this: if the tournament wasn't tied to a fighter, why didn't they just drop it that month, a week or two later in September, or even October? Why wait so long, yet let us know so far in advance? You may point out that other Mario content was delayed for even later, well into 2021, but then why wasn't the tournament delayed for about as long? Could it be that it matches up with some sort of announcement? It seems likes it's awfully important for some reason...

• If you are under the impression that this tournament is meant to match up with a fighter, then there is something else to consider: If the MARIO tournament matches up with a fighter announcement, and this year was the 35th MARIO anniversary with tons of MARIO content, it would make sense for that character to be from the MARIO franchise, right? However, a first party just doesn't add up.

See, first off we already have a first party in Min-Min, not that we can't get another but the big names being talked about right now are third party and you still have a pass to sell to hardcore fans. You may say that Waluigi fits the bill, but first off the Wah really isn't geared up to be a full release for a Fighter's Pass character...and secondly, there would be no reason for such a delay for a first party choice. This would all be done in-house, with stressed but easier communication with Nintendo, and most likely a much simpler character to design. There would still be no need to delay the tournament THIS far out for just Waluigi...but third parties are much more difficult to communicate on in these conditions, and there is only one viable third party Mario character, and his own is rather picky...

Yeah, as you can see, much like everything else recently this bodes well for Geno.

:geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
So I was having some conversations with a friend and our discussion brought something interesting to light.

So the first part of the conversation was whether or not Steve was #78 and planned for E3 or #79 or later and was flat-out pushed up in line due to circumstances. By the end of our conversation, we concluded that Steve could never have been anything but #79. The information just adds up to it being that way.
  • Sakurai stated in January with Byleth that all the characters had been negotiated for already, which means they were negotiated for sometime in 2019, likely in September. This means Steve was already chosen to be a character in 2019.

• Sakurai has stated himself that they work on three characters at a time. This would mean that Min-Min would have started development in late/Q3 2019 in the Terry/Byleth/Min-Min block. This would mean by the time January hit (since Byleth was done in November, and Min-Min was originally aimed for April) we would already have spent time in the Min-Min/77/78 block. However, Sakurai states that Steve didn't start development until April, which conflicts with the 'three at a time' format they have.

• As we know, since development for Steve started in April, at a time of difficult programming and regulations, Steve would never have been ready in time for E3.

• Min-Min getting pushed back due a WOMBOCOMBO of Codroid-19, programming issues with her, sorting out character priority for the rest of the pass, and programming issues with Steve explains the huge delay for both Min-Min and Steve being released.

• Since Steve was already negotiated for in 2019, it was likely part of the contract to have his reveal and breakdown timed around MineCon. This isn't something you can simply reschedule for in an age of viruses and cancellations: it's much more likely Steve was always meant to be ready for a big MineCon showing, but since Sakurai foresaw how difficult he would be to program and how new regulations would hinder their work efficiency, it was decided Steve would be pushed to #77 to make sure he was ready in time for MineCon.

So now that it's perfectly clear that Steve was bumped up from #79 to #77, that would mean that up until recently we were in the Min-Min/Steve/new 78 block now. So the big question is, who got moved to #78? Well, I know I say this all the time, but I REALLY think it's Geno. Why is that? Well, let's look at the evidence.
  • The odds of us getting more Nintendo news in general this November is very high, mostly because Nintendo has made it past precedent to have something. Add in Nintendo saying that October had the last Partner Showcase of the year and yet we have all this time left for more announcements and the Direct Archive keeps updating like crazy point and it feels like Nintendo has at least a couple more things to hit us with before they let the Christmas Madness come through.

• We had an explosion of rumors about Geno in August of 2019. Rumors of Chief popped up around December of 2019, which we now know was more about Steve when it came to another Microsoft rep but the community at large had written off Steve due to Banjo's inclusion and just assumed it had to be Chief.

• CacoMallow came out in November of 2019, and we are three days away from it's one-year anniversary. They gotta show us those costumes eventually, and they really can't hold onto them as a secret for too much longer.

• We got those sudden teases about Geno from Jeff Grubb and more importantly Imran Khan who didn't talk about SMRPG nearly as much as Grubb.

• Square has been notorious for being picky and kinda like a fussy backseat developer when it comes to their IPs. Square also has a plethora of characters people love and is undoubtedly getting more characters in Ultimate considering Sakurai has shown a pattern to work with companies he has worked with in the past. Thus, it would make sense that if a Square character was being worked on and Codroid-19 hit hard, the new regulations would practically halt any work done on said Square character since they are the kind of company to insist on being there for nearly every step of the way.

• So, interestingly enough, the Mario Characters Only Tournament for Ultimate (which oddly enough, has been done before) was delayed in addition to a bunch of other Mario content. Since the 35th Anniversary level in SMM2 was originally scheduled for sometime in April, we can likely assume that this tournament was also heavily delayed, which means it very well could have lined up with a fighter from E3.

Despite being delayed once, they announced it in September that it was slated for 'Later In The Year' which we then found out was November/December. Now think about this: if the tournament wasn't tied to a fighter, why didn't they just drop it that month, a week or two later in September, or even October? Why wait so long, yet let us know so far in advance? You may point out that other Mario content was delayed for even later, well into 2021, but then why wasn't the tournament delayed for about as long? Could it be that it matches up with some sort of announcement? It seems likes it's awfully important for some reason...

• If you are under the impression that this tournament is meant to match up with a fighter, then there is something else to consider: If the MARIO tournament matches up with a fighter announcement, and this year was the 35th MARIO anniversary with tons of MARIO content, it would make sense for that character to be from the MARIO franchise, right? However, a first party just doesn't add up.

See, first off we already have a first party in Min-Min, not that we can't get another but the big names being talked about right now are third party and you still have a pass to sell to hardcore fans. You may say that Waluigi fits the bill, but first off the Wah really isn't geared up to be a full release for a Fighter's Pass character...and secondly, there would be no reason for such a delay for a first party choice. This would all be done in-house, with stressed but easier communication with Nintendo, and most likely a much simpler character to design. There would still be no need to delay the tournament THIS far out for just Waluigi...but third parties are much more difficult to communicate on in these conditions, and there is only one viable third party Mario character, and his own is rather picky...

Yeah, as you can see, much like everything else recently this bodes well for Geno.

:geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno: :geno:
Just a reminder this means that the real #77 has likely been worked on on and off for around a whole year, which should mean a release soon if they really are simpler.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Insert The Rock clapping at award show gif
Well said!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I've mentioned it a few times but one of my guys told me in the summer that DOOM Eternal on Switch was going to have what he called "very obvious first party content" and the longer it has been missing the more I'm inclined to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom