• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
So pretty much, after the tourney ends, Fighter 8 will be revealed (if any of the past dates for reveals are anything to go by) Fighter 8 could potentially be a Mario rep cause of the Mario tourney which could take place in December since the date right now is November to December.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Tbh we aren't getting a reveal in November. I feel that it's pretty apparent that anyone assuming so is pretty much doing it based only on optimism. Looking at how we have literally had 3 reveals and releases this year when last year we had 2 standalone releases releases (technically reveal if Joker gameplay trailer counts) and 3 other reveals. The fact that they played the waiting game with ARMS and waited an extra 3 months for Steve may peg the reveal for January at the earliest which could be proven more due to the amiibos.

Game awards at the earliest but even then, the 3 month gap which seems to be the norm suggests January which is probably the more likely option. Obviously no directs be it first party or general aren't happening minus Indies and partner presentations so the next real outlet is the VGAS since I doubt they'd do a similar format to Steve which would have to take place in November when Steve would barely be a month old.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I want to divert everyone’s attention for a second that another Smash Online Open is scheduled for late October and ends on November 1st.
I know there was another one like this that happened close to Min Min’s reveal, but has this happened any other time? I would like to think this is an indicator that we are getting #8 in November, but I’m not sure.
Ooooohohohohooo! So, they have made their move. Let me look up something I posted here earlier in regards to tournaments held throughout this year and their proximity to Smash character reveals.

After going over the official Nintendo VS Twitter and scrolling through most of its 2020 feed, I present to you all, the tournaments that have taken place within the year. I excluded the Pokémon tournaments since those are handled by TPC, and the Smash event tournaments.

FEBRUARY - MARCH
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open Spring 2020: began on February 29th, and ended on March 1st
APRIL
  • ARMS North American Online Open: began and ended on April 4th
MAY
  • Mario Kart North American Open: began on May 8th, and ended on May 10th
JUNE
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open May 2020: began on May 30th, and ended on June 21st (this was due to the postponement of one of the region sets early on in the tournament, pretty much moving the rest of the regions into June).
  • Splatoon 2 North American Open: began on June 14th, and ended on June 21st
  • Mario Kart North American Open June 2020: began on June 26th, and ended on June 28th
JULY
  • Splatoon 2 Turf War; began and ended on July 18th
  • Mario Tennis Aces North American Open July 2020; began and ended on July 25th
AUGUST
  • ARMS North American Open August 2020; began on August 8th, and ended on August 9th
  • Mario Kart North American Open August 2020; began on August 14th, and ended on August 16th
SEPTEMBER
  • Splatoon 2 North American Open September 2020; began on September 6th, and ended on September 13th
  • Mario Tennis Aces North American Open September 2020; began and ended on September 19th
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate VS Challenge Cup September 2020; began and ended on September 26th
OCTOBER
  • ARMS North American Open October 2020; began on October 3rd, and ended on October 4th
  • Mario Kart North American Open October 2020; begins on October 9th, and ends on October 11th
  • Splatoon 2 Turf War October 2020; begins and ends on October 17th
Out of all these tournaments, the dates in which the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate ones were held are the most interesting (for the context of character reveal speculation).
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open Spring 2020 Tournament was held between February 29th, and March 1st. Do note that around this time was when strict lock-down measures were being implemented around many of the World's Nations due to the ongoing pandemic. It wasn't until March 26th that we got the news of Fighters Pass Vol. 2 in which it was revealed that a fighter from ARMS would be Challenger Pack 6.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate North American Online Open May 2020 Tournament that began almost at the end of May (May 30th specifically) lasted all the way up until June 21st. The next day we got the reveal of who that ARMS fighter would be; Min Min.
  • The Super Smash Bros. Ultimate VS Challenge Cup September 2020 Tournament is the latest Smash tournament that was held and lasted only one day (September 26th). About four/five days later we got the reveal of Steve being Challenger Pack 7.
Having said all this, I believe the next indicator that could tell us when we could be expecting the announcement of Challenger Pack 8 should be close to the next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament (not event tournament) that's held sometime in the near future (whenever Nintendo feels like doing one). Given the time gap between Smash tournaments, I'd estimate the next one to be sometime around December 2020. Coincidentally, during the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary, we got a heads-up of an upcoming Mario-themed Smash tournament that is expected to take place sometime between November and December 2020. Although, since this is a themed tournament (different from the ones mentioned prior), I'm not sure if this would count as the tournament to look out for in wait for CP 8's reveal. It would have to be another Online Open, or VS Challenge Cup styled tournament.

Additional data:
  • Days between Smash Spring tournament and announcement that an ARMS fighter would join Smash = 25 days.
  • Days between the ARMS April tournament and announcement that an ARMS fighter would join Smash = -9 days (tournament was after the announcement).
  • Days between the Smash May 2020 tournament and Min Min reveal = 1 day.
  • Days between the Smash VS Challenge Cup tournament and Steve's reveal = 5 days.
I'll say that if we CP 8 is to be revealed without the "a fighters from 'x' franchise" shenanigans, then we might be looking to it being announced roughly a week after the tournament is over.

EDIT: That would make it either within the first full week of November, or they could hold up till the second full week of November. This one should garner more attention in regards to possible expectations of a reveal coming afterwards than the Mario-themed tournament coming up much later.

Last edited:

novazvezda

Smash Cadet
I switched to my geno hat profile because I figured why not anyways. Another quick question: Steve is a western character. Doom Guy and Crash are western characters. Do you think that there's a possibility for 3 western characters in the same pass or do you think the possibility of one taking a slot on the roster diminishes the chances of the other? I think this relates to Geno as this could potentially be getting Cacomallow involved.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I switched to my geno hat profile because I figured why not anyways. Another quick question: Steve is a western character. Doom Guy and Crash are western characters. Do you think that there's a possibility for 3 western characters in the same pass or do you think the possibility of one taking a slot on the roster diminishes the chances of the other? I think this relates to Geno as this could potentially be getting Cacomallow involved.
I think it's possible but swap DG with Master Chief

RingJ5

Smash Ace
At this point, my predictions are twofold:

If it turns out that we really only have four characters left, then I’m going with Geno up next, a “wild card” slot that could be Capcom, Namco, or Ryu, Crash, and finally Chief. Even with the other Microsoft rep in the pass, the idea of having a full-on mascot fight between Mario, Sonic, Crash, and Chief seems like something they legitimately might not want to pass up, plus the inevitable “Finishes the Fighters Pass!” splash screen pun.

If we get the four extras as well, then I’m not sure of placement overall, but: Geno, Capcom, Namco, Ryu, Crash, Chief, and two more first-parties.

Either way, I’m really quite confident in Geno being #8. I know that some might think that he wouldn’t really be a “popular” TGA reveal, but if the Mario RPG remake/sequel rumors are true, then I could see it being tied with that for a bit of a larger reveal.

Last edited:

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman
Hello, everybody!

I've lurked in this thread for about 7 months (started lurking a little bit before the Arms guessing game). Geno is my most wanted, even though I don't have that much experience with Super Mario RPG. I'm 99.9% sure Geno is one of the last four characters. It's just going to be a few more months of waiting, in which hopefully even more Geno evidence comes out.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Idk why but can someone tell me why they are thinking a reveal in November is at all plausible let alone likely? I'm confused because everything is pointing towards January atm with a slight maybe on the VGAs yet people are still thinking something in November could happen? One month after Steve, 3 months per character and the general lack of characters this year. I may seem like a downer but I think it's pretty apparent that people are confusing wants with expectations. Yeah I can get December although not as much if it's anything but the game awards but honestly saying things outright is never usually a good thing but it's pretty reasonable to see why November having a reveal is about as close to an impossibility as one could get

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hello, everybody!

I've lurked in this thread for about 7 months (started lurking a little bit before the Arms guessing game). Geno is my most wanted, even though I don't have that much experience with Super Mario RPG. I'm 99.9% sure Geno is one of the last four characters. It's just going to be a few more months of waiting, in which hopefully even more Geno evidence comes out.
Welcome aboard, GenoDoge!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Idk why but can someone tell me why they are thinking a reveal in November is at all plausible let alone likely? I'm confused because everything is pointing towards January atm with a slight maybe on the VGAs yet people are still thinking something in November could happen? One month after Steve, 3 months per character and the general lack of characters this year. I may seem like a downer but I think it's pretty apparent that people are confusing wants with expectations. Yeah I can get December although not as much if it's anything but the game awards but honestly saying things outright is never usually a good thing but it's pretty reasonable to see why November having a reveal is about as close to an impossibility as one could get
I don't know if it's necessarily likely, but it seems possible because a Smash Online Open Tournament was announced, and (as YsDisciple YsDisciple pointed out earlier in this page) the past two tournaments have had a Smash reveal announced shortly afterwards. (Min Min was the day after the previous/first Smash Online Open Tournament, and Steve was less than a week after another tournament that was hosted by Nintendo)

Between that and the vague "November or December" date for a Mario tournament (which had people thinking that a new Mario character was going to be released around that time - otherwise, why wouldn't they give a specific date?), it seems like a possibility. I wouldn't get my hopes too high, since two examples is hardly a reliable pattern, but it could happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Geno being announced around that Mario Tournament would be perfect. Another coincidence is that after Minecraft World gets put in as a stage, if Geno is next, then his stage would go directly below New Donk City on the stage select screen.(Yeah I’m reaching lol)
Blocked Content: And you heard it here folks! The leaker by the name ctt4lfecw ctt4lfecw on Smashboards and I quote said: "Geno being announced around that Mario Tournament would be perfect. Another coincidence is that after Minecraft World gets put in as a stage, if Geno is next, then his stage would go directly below New Donk City on the stage select screen."

He seems credible maybe not. But he has good points. That will be it for today my block buddies.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't know if it's necessarily likely, but it seems possible because a Smash Online Open Tournament was announced, and (as YsDisciple YsDisciple pointed out earlier in this page) the past two tournaments have had a Smash reveal announced shortly afterwards. (Min Min was the day after the previous/first Smash Online Open Tournament, and Steve was less than a week after another tournament that was hosted by Nintendo)

Between that and the vague "November or December" date for a Mario tournament (which had people thinking that a new Mario character was going to be released around that time - otherwise, why wouldn't they give a specific date?), it seems like a possibility. I wouldn't get my hopes too high, since two examples is hardly a reliable pattern, but it could happen.
Yeah I can definitely see why people think December so I can agree with that. I'm still confused on people saying November though. I'm still thinking January personally

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
havent checked in in a hot minute. how are we looking boys whats our status
Long story short: Geno was probably the E3 headliner and we siked ourselves out because everyone insisted there was no way in hell he would be an E3 reveal, let alone the "Big Reveal." With Steve out of the way, Nintendo's sloooooooowly now going into the major E3 announcements so hopefully we don't have to wait longer than probably a month.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Long story short: Geno was probably the E3 headliner and we siked ourselves out because everyone insisted there was no way in hell he would be an E3 reveal, let alone the "Big Reveal." With Steve out of the way, Nintendo's sloooooooowly now going into the major E3 announcements so hopefully we don't have to wait longer than probably a month.
Yeah, if you consider the fact that Steve’s reveal was likely to be the very start of E3, were technically now in extended E3 season as of 10/1, so the E3 announcement are gonna start flowing. Which puts Geno at the end of those announcements, meaning it could be anytime in November/December, depending on how long it takes to reveal everything else in-between.

Funny how the Mario tournament could also be anytime in November or December, almost as if they’re not setting a date yet because it ties into the announcement of FP8 somehow

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's safe to assume now that the E3 finales could be the big fan favorite instead of just the big gaming icon.
Especially if Steve was the opening act. Kind of like I pointed out the other day, the big E3 finishers have always been:

1. Super iconic third party characters.

Or

2. Massive fan favorites that it's pretty obvious they got in because people wanted them so badly.

Minecraft: best selling game of all time and basically the king of indie franchises. Steve's iconic. He's like the ultimate indie success story. Steve was essentially our Hero, now we're waiting for our Banjo.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm skeptical about the timing as it all feels like a coincidence, and the universe has been cruel to Smash when it comes to coincidences (ie, the Grinch Lie and the official banner glitching out exactly where Isaac was located on the Lie).

While that bizarrely handled Mario tournament is Nov/Dec and could line up with fighter 8, I'm thinking its just a coincidence and means nothing, like all those in-the-know people Geno Posting at the same time in July, which ultimately meant nothing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Looked into it and Nintendo has pretty much made it a point to have at least one major, international presentation every November since 2012 so the odds are definitely in our favor for Nintendo to FINALLY announce the really big announcements for E3 2020 by mid November.

This also fits snuggly with Amiibo theory because the next Amiibo wave is November 20th and there's an average 12 days between Amiibo waves and character releases, suggesting either November 5th or November 10th based on past precedent for days characters actually release on.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
And just to think that after today, Geno may very well be the next character we could be playing with.
Here’s to it!

I think the timing of the Mario tournament and that Geno could have been the fan favorite character to end E3 are the biggest things going for Geno as Fighter 8.
Makes a lot of sense. E3 would’ve had a double reveal with Steve and Geno like they did with Hero and Banjo last year. We’d probably have had Steve in September and then they aim Geno for December release!

Last edited by a moderator:

slopdop

Smash Cadet
To add to the pile for the November stuff. Following the reveal/release schedule of SNES NSO we're probably looking at a November 10th update for a November 18th release which will most likely have DKC 3 but maybe also SMRPG. However if the second E3 Smash reveal could potentially happen for early November maybe we could get the SMRPG NSO release alongside Geno, kinda like they did with releasing SNES All Stars alongside the Mario Direct :)

Overall yes I'm going with Genovember, let's go!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Active means using the IP. Advertising isn't the only case here. Fair enough on "very active", but they blatantly are using the character via Rare Replay. Everything in there is an active product in terms of business and trademarking. Hell, stuff like VC would mean an IP is active.

It doesn't mean it's being used in a way people like, or would count for "relevancy"(though the issue with the term relevancy is that there's a difference between a character and their franchise. Castlevania is a relevant franchise, but Simon nor Richter would be. For just an easy example).

Nonetheless, the IP is clearly in use. They don't need to advertise every single part of Rare Replay. We know it's there, a currently active product. In this case, everything in Rare Replay is active by proxy. I agree "very active" is not too accurate, especially as you have a good point about the advertisement. But let's be real; advertisements is not the rule of "activity" for an IP. That's just a bonus, and doesn't tell us whether an IP is actually in use or not(which is actually what being active would mean in context).
Yeah. We are just disagreeing in the term very active. It's cool.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm skeptical about the timing as it all feels like a coincidence, and the universe has been cruel to Smash when it comes to coincidences (ie, the Grinch Lie and the official banner glitching out exactly where Isaac was located on the Lie).

While that bizarrely handled Mario tournament is Nov/Dec and could line up with fighter 8, I'm thinking its just a coincidence and means nothing, like all those in-the-know people Geno Posting at the same time in July, which ultimately meant nothing.
Funny how two people can look at the same thing and come to different conclusions.

You see all the Geno posting by credible insiders in July to mean nothing, whereas I see it as people pushing information they had that ended up being pushed back.

Think about this one, guys: Geno IS a Mario character, just a 3rd party one. So, if insiders had all this Mario news and yet it didn't happen until well after any of us thought, and we saw that many Mario games got pushed back, could it perhaps be that Geno is part of that Mario information that got pushed back? Perhaps even SMRPG2?

Really makes ya wonder, dunnit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom