• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, y'all know we're getting a Nintendo Treehouse Live stream tomorrow focusing on Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity? I surmise that in regards to the later, perhaps we might see more of young Robbie and Purah?

T2by4

Smash Lord
This isn’t related to Geno but please look at my Ryu Hayabusa write up for the news articles if you wondering how Hayabusa would work. I also wrote up a Lloyd article way back earlier this year that sucks.

I’m currently working on a new article that will hopefully be published within a week or so. I do have a Geno article partially written up which includes a SMRPG series analysis like the other ones I have. If I have any questions, I’ll come here to ask.
Dang reading that Hayabusa article got me kinda excited for him. Could be a lot of fun!

Droodle

Smash Lord
I just thought of something, could Sakurai decide which costumes he would want to add and in a pack? The Sans costume was added because he was a popular request and Rex for his inclusion added as a bonus for the Fighters Pass. Hypothetically, if he does, who wouldn’t of thought adding Geno in Hero’s Pass if not Fighter Pass 1. They could of added Geno’s costume with Hero and save Chocobo for another rep. Since Sakurai acknowledged his popularity and Nintendo with the ballot, they would pretty much have to address Geno sooner or later. I’m not sure if nothing special is happening with Geno, Sakurai would want to drag out a year and half for a costume from after all that PR as talked about in the latest PapaGenos video.
I doubt Sakurai cares about dragging out any potential disconfirmations out too long, in fact I'm willing to bet the timing for when content gets made and when it releases is all up to Nintendo. Remember that Sakurai said he wants character 7 out sooner than later anyways all the way back in July, and we still had to wait till October to get the next reveal; and we know that the video has likely been sitting around since mid August.

Has any spirit event ever had sumonable spirits? Because that one has a lot to do with Geno
Geno doesn't even have a visible gun anyways so he wouldn't really count for this event. Regardless I doubt many returning Spirit events matter at all, for all we know Geno could be in the next one; and then release as a fighter at the end of the pass. People who think, "Nintendo may not want to remind ____ is a spirit, are overthinking it".

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Man I wish an official Geno doll was made. Takara why didn’t you make this?!?! Such a missed opportunity. Oh and also can I just mention that Takara’s Mallow plush is probably the rarest piece of Mario merchandise I have ever seen. Only three pictures are know to exist. Good luck getting your hands on one. Mario RPG merchandise is really rare and expensive.
Mallow looks really fed up with something

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I may have been a little unclear in my theory. I truly don't think Nintendo would ask Sakurai to add Geno into the game, as it goes against pretty much all of the standards they've set for the Mario series right now. As of now, we don't know the extent of the "Purity Team"'s influence on the series as a whole, but I can assure you that we'll never see most of the new characters in Odyssey ever again. Mario as a series nowadays may have a few new characters introduced in every game, but they can't be too divergent from how the other characters are and they can only be in one game. Geno being in Smash would pretty much solidify him as a part of gaming history, and I don't believe Nintendo would want that as it goes against what they have recently established for the series by making a random, one-off character important to the series instead of giving the spotlight to the main Mario cast. It would also set a precedent for side characters to appear in more games than their initial appearance and take the focus away from Mario, Luigi, Peach, etc. And since every DLC choice has been made by Nintendo, Geno's inclusion would seem to only come about if Sakurai and/or Square Enix requested it and is able to convince Nintendo to do it.

Also, keep in mind that I'm not trying to hate on Geno or say that he isn't happening, but that I'm just trying to give another perspective on Geno's inclusion. I would absolutely love to be wrong. I just feel like speculation is only healthy when you consider every possible outcome, and not just get tunnel vision on what you personally want. I'm not claiming to know exactly how Nintendo or the "Purity Team" functions, I'm just making inferences based on how the Mario franchise has evolved over the years. Because of this, I personally believe that Nintendo's current attitude about how the Mario IP is represented is Geno's greatest barrier of entry right now.
Sorry for the late response, ive been a bit busy. But I totally agree. Looking at one possibility and being optimistic isn't as practical as looking at every possibility, especially when that could be a legitimate possible outcome. I still don't think this would entirely apply to Geno being in smash, (the Mario Purity Team rules) because this feels almost like an "exception case" due to fan demand and Geno's popularity in the idea of smash (me being optimistic), though It would probably open the gates to other fans who want other side characters in other Mario RPGs to request other things to Nintendo which I could see as an issue. But if im being completely honest with myself, Im not riding on the idea of it being an exception case because the reason Geno does or doesn't get in smash could very well be down to his main series and how it applies, and at this rate, its probably our biggest issue with him as a character, and does seem like a likely outcome unfortunately.

To put it simply, I feel like the unfortunate outcome could be Nintendo blocking Geno due to these purity rules, and that could very well be what happens, but im not losing hope entirely because like you said earlier Square and Sakurai showed interest in Geno, among with other reasons Geno why people consider Geno likely in the first place. It feels like something we've overlooked until now, but could be the sole reason he could miss the mark.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Sorry for the late response, ive been a bit busy. But I totally agree. Looking at one possibility and being optimistic isn't as practical as looking at every possibility, especially when that could be a legitimate possible outcome. I still don't think this would entirely apply to Geno being in smash, (the Mario Purity Team rules) because this feels almost like an "exception case" due to fan demand and Geno's popularity in the idea of smash (me being optimistic), though It would probably open the gates to other fans who want other side characters in other Mario RPGs to request other things to Nintendo which I could see as an issue. But if im being completely honest with myself, Im not riding on the idea of it being an exception case because the reason Geno does or doesn't get in smash could very well be down to his main series and how it applies, and at this rate, its probably our biggest issue with him as a character, and does seem like a likely outcome unfortunately.

To put it simply, I feel like the unfortunate outcome could be Nintendo blocking Geno due to these purity rules, and that could very well be what happens, but im not losing hope entirely because like you said earlier Square and Sakurai showed interest in Geno, among with other reasons Geno why people consider Geno likely in the first place. It feels like something we've overlooked until now, but could be the sole reason he could miss the mark.
I dunno, I guess what you're saying is a possibility, but kinda feel like if they were super concerned with maintaining this "purity" or whatever in Smash, they probably wouldn't have allowed Geno to have a Mii costume in 4 and a Legendary Class spirit in Ultimate, along with characters like Vivian and Dimentio.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
I dunno, I guess what you're saying is a possibility, but kinda feel like if they were super concerned with maintaining this "purity" or whatever in Smash, they probably wouldn't have allowed Geno to have a Mii costume in 4 and a Legendary Class spirit in Ultimate, along with characters like Vivian and Dimentio.
Thats what I said initially, and again, I believe Geno is coming, at the very least in some form, though with the purity rules in place, I'm considering it as a possibility. But I have hope, and I feel like Nintendo wouldn't block themselves from a character/missed opprotunity due to some rules they had set in place. Plus like you said, if it were an issue to begin with, his Mii Costume wouldn't have been in smash 4. I don't know where I stand on this theory. I feel very mixed about it. On one hand, Geno does seem like a likely candidate and if the purity rules were an issue to begin with, he wouldn't get represented outside of Mario in any capacity. Though on the other hand, Im worried of the possibility of him not getting in due to these rules. Id say I'm more leaning to him as a likely character than these rules getting in the way, but Im considering it a possibility.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Mario RPG merchandise is really rare and expensive.
Yes it is. I’ve spent well over a thousand dollars on the keychain set, Keshi set, cards, and other stuff. No plush though. I’ve seen separate auctions for the Mario and Yoshi plush each go for over a thousand by themselves. I know someone who has more stuff than I do including 5 of the plush and even he doesn’t have the Mallow plush. I can’t imagine what that would be worth.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Thats what I said initially, and again, I believe Geno is coming, at the very least in some form, though with the purity rules in place, I'm considering it as a possibility. But I have hope, and I feel like Nintendo wouldn't block themselves from a character/missed opprotunity due to some rules they had set in place. Plus like you said, if it were an issue to begin with, his Mii Costume wouldn't have been in smash 4. I don't know where I stand on this theory. I feel very mixed about it. On one hand, Geno does seem like a likely candidate and if the purity rules were an issue to begin with, he wouldn't get represented outside of Mario in any capacity. Though on the other hand, Im worried of the possibility of him not getting in due to these rules. Id say I'm more leaning to him as a likely character than these rules getting in the way, but Im considering it a possibility.
It's already pretty badass that pure fan demand has gotten us this far. Let's hope it can get us all the way there

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
It's really cool to see a character inspired by Geno show up in a different series!

Sega does that Nintendon't (for now at least).

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Yep. He knows someone in Japan so he has gotten a ton of rare stuff from him, not just SMRPG merchandise.
No way.

Having an almost full Mario RPG plush set is like having an infinity gauntlet. This person should get into contact with Patmat (a great Youtuber who covers video game merchandise). If you guys know who that is you are based.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
No way.

Having an almost full Mario RPG plush set is like having an infinity gauntlet. This person should get into contact with Patmat (a great Youtuber who covers video game merchandise). If you guys know who that is you are based.
Yeah, I'm subscribed to his channel. Very cool stuff.

Dan

Smash Lord
Man I wish an official Geno doll was made. Takara why didn’t you make this?!?! Such a missed opportunity. Oh and also can I just mention that Takara’s Mallow plush is probably the rarest piece of Mario merchandise I have ever seen. Only three pictures are know to exist. Good luck getting your hands on one. Mario RPG merchandise is really rare and expensive.
Yeah, fair point... at the time they probably had no clue who these characters were and just went with the simplest designs.

And the Mallow plush could be the rarest piece of commercially-released gaming memorabilia ever.

link2702

Smash Champion
So this came to me today while eating diner...

Since we don't know for sure when geno will get revealed, nor do we have any idea what his trailer is...one thing I've thought about in the past, was his trailer having something to do with him being the "wish granter ", who's actually been responsible for all other newcomers getting in ultimately. What if his stage also had a reference to that? Either star hill alone, or as a segment of a flying stage similar to delving. In the star hill part, stars rain down in the background and if you look closely you see the pictures of all newcomers to get in ultimate inside the stars.

It would basically mean geno is technically the most important character In the series from a story perspective (LOL....Smash bros "lore".....), as it's mostly due to him that so many game characters have got in.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
It's really cool to see a character inspired by Geno show up in a different series!

sonic-belle.png

I LOVE the Sonic IDW comics, those are really good comics! And I love Super Mario RPG.

How.... odd that those should be the two things that decide to mix. Like if you had gone back in time and told me that IDW Sonic and Super Mario RPG are gonna have a Geno inspired baby, I'd NOT believe you.

I mean LOOK, she even has a very Geno-y hat.

Coupled with the " the isometric mario rpg view was 100% intentional" comment... WOW... this is weird. But I like it.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
View attachment 288650

I LOVE the Sonic IDW comics, those are really good comics! And I love Super Mario RPG.

How.... odd that those should be the two things that decide to mix. Like if you had gone back in time and told me that IDW Sonic and Super Mario RPG are gonna have a Geno inspired baby, I'd NOT believe you.

I mean LOOK, she even has a very Geno-y hat.

Coupled with the " the isometric mario rpg view was 100% intentional" comment... WOW... this is weird. But I like it.
That front orange hair sticking out.
there is no way this is not inspired by Geno’s design!

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I’m spooked solid, but now you got me thinking about what Geno’s Stand would be.

I think there’s a fairly decent already existing character for that task...
View attachment 288633
You just reminded me how butthurt I am that we don't have more costumes and better costumes in Smash. The Mario cast alone could each easily have another dozen or so costumes and that wouldn't even scrape the bottom of the barrel. I had a list I was writing somewhere of costume ideas for everybody... I'll see if I can find it.

Voe

Smash Journeyman

Looking at that mountain pile of discarded robots just makes me miss Gamma even more. I know he was in Sonic Battle but I wish Sega would bring him back somehow. Assuming Omega was supposed to be his replacement he never really did it for me, and I thought his voice was annoying (Omega in the comics was funny though).

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman

It's just amazing to me to see two people I used to watch on Deviantart work on something like that and bring a bit of Geno in another world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom