• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
how is that a jealous comment? I just said I wasnt one of those.
Where did you say you weren't one of those? You just magically appeared to say that you didn't think anyone cared how big the thread was after someone posed the idea. The fact that you would bother to break the silence just to refute it kind of proves the point.

If you honestly aren't jelly, that's fine, but your timing suggested otherwise.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Where did you say you weren't one of those? You just magically appeared to say that you didn't think anyone cared how big the thread was after someone posed the idea. The fact that you would bother to break the silence just to refute it kind of proves the point.

If you honestly aren't jelly, that's fine, but your timing suggested otherwise.
oh, thats my bad. It was when I said "Im not part of this" That mean to say Im not one that is jealous of yall or hate the thread

Also I pop in from time to time to see what the word around town. I do that with half the character threads. I dont say anything of course cuz ill be booed out but I most lurk and watch
You're here pretty much every other day so I'd say you're a part of it.

Gonna start wearing the hat when they announce him or gonna play tsundere even after that?
naw, I wont put a hat on my icon but ill be happy for ya

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
P Phoenixio Under what frame of logic would Geno be a poor seller? There was enough fan demand to not only have SMRPG on the Wii VC, Wii U VC, and SNES Classic but to release the game globally on each of these platforms. SNES Classic alone sold close to 8 million and the original SMRPG sold several million too. Smash Ultimate has sold more than 20 million copies around the world so literally only 5% of the install base would have to even buy Geno for him to be a million seller.

Beyond that, Geno has consistently been a top 10 character in massive quintuple digit participant polls for the last 3 years so the idea that literally no one knows who he is or would buy him is just unfounded. "Well, he wouldn't sell well compared to other characters." Like who? Corrin? Plant? The scores of people who cried "Literally Who™" with Terry, Byleth, and Min Min and bought them the day they released anyways? How exactly does a character that has evidence from Nintendo itself supporting 20 years of support in the Smash fanbase constitute a character that would unironically sell or go over poorly? Some people don't get his appeal and that's fine but I will never understand the narrative that some people push that he would go over about as well as a power drill to the temple or an oxygen mask that pumps pastrami dog farts (hand gesture) DIRECTLY into your lungs.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just want to chime in that I don't think the newcomer speculation thread (NST) is bad or has bad people (obviously exceptions always exist). I'm not a Geno detractor, a critic of this thread or its people, and have been coming here on and off for years. I've sincerely believed Geno is a lock for years now.

Some rightfully point out that (phrasing is my own) the Geno thread is basically a combination of a social thread, newcomer speculation thread, and Geno support thread, and gets away with certain things because of its size (third largest), legacy (over 3 years old with regular activity for Ultimate), and the fact that Geno might get in soon and it'll die down afterwards. It's like a Discord server with only one channel, and there are currently pretty much no other threads like it on Smashboards. We don't like people coming in here to be drive-by trolls, naysayers, hype police, or vehement critics, and I don't think any other character thread experiences those kinds of visitors with the same emotional charge and regularity as Geno, but it's the natural price we have to pay now and again for having a thread like this.

Smash news is so bizarrely drawn out and sparse that anyone in the NST who doesn't want to talk about Geno can't be criticized, because there's only so much you would care to say about a single character you're ambivalent to among infinite possibilities. Especially if you've seen, heard, and discussed the evidence (that they might not even think is evidence) and aren't convinced, which is fully reasonable. This thread is a very small community with a few dozen particularly active members and for it to come up again and again when you'd rather talk about something else would bug anyone.

The NST is not an anti-Geno thread, there are plenty of people there who think Geno is viable, even likely, and plenty of people who just don't care. They talk about a wide variety of characters besides Geno, he's just coming up a lot nowadays because he's so likely and polarizing.
Not to start anything or come off as rude, but I feel like these two words are kinda contradictory in the context of Smash. In the end, we have no idea how truly likely or unlikely someone is because we can't see behind Nintendo's curtains until they open them up themselves, so we're just stuck guessing. Characters are polarizing because we can't agree how likely they are when we make our predictions. Again, not be that guy, just felt like pointing that out.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would say Geno is more recognizable than Corrin lol might be a bad take though
That's the point I'm making. Hell, Joker wasn't even a consistent top 25 character and people were thrilled to death when he was added. People griped about Hero, Terry, Byleth, and Min Min but most people quickly got over it. How does a character wanted for the past FOUR Smash games translate into a bad pick? For who? The even smaller "Smash bubble" that will commit the Big Frowny Face if he gets added?

Last edited:

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
That's the point I'm making. Hell, Joker wasn't even a consistent top 25 character and people were thrilled to death when he was added. People griped about Hero, Terry, Byleth, and Min Min but most people quickly got over it. How does a character wanted for the past FOUR Smash translate into a bad pick? For who? The even smaller "Smash bubble" that will commit the Big Frowny Face if he gets added?
It's kind of why I'm really hostile towards people hating our character in those regards...
It doesn't matter how recognizable someone is, Sakurai even said this.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
It's kind of why I'm really hostile towards people hating our character in those regards...
It doesn't matter how recognizable someone is, Sakurai even said this.
When one's favorite character has a shot to being playable in Smash Ultimate. Some will do whatever is possible to make sure it's in the character's favor. Of course, that is what the entire community is facing with limited openings for DLC

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just don't understand how you can hate Geno though...
I mean he's a freaking transforming puppet possessed by a star who serves a higher authority, he's not just a gun arm character.

What's not to love.
Nowhere near being a Megaman clone as some people say, either. I understand some people not being attached to him, but to hate him and just pick on us? That is a low, if I do say so, myself.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean he's a freaking transforming puppet possessed by a star who serves a higher authority, he's not just a gun arm character.

What's not to love.
Eh, some people just have different tastes. What's cool to one person might not be for the next. That's just how things work.:drshrug:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

What's not to love.
Same here. Plus the fact that he's from a Mario game, and the very first Mario RPG at that. I'd figure nearly all Smash fans are also fans of the Mario series, so to hate any character from it this much is baffling to me.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
You've probably been through this argument often, but it's also about how overblown the Geno bubble has become. Why Geno?
Honestly, I just think he's really cool. Mario is second to Pokemon as my favorite gaming franchise, and I like Geno the best out of the possible Mario-series newcomers. I love SMRPG and I love Geno. I can't really think of a reason beyond that, but I don't need a reason beyond that.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, I can see that. That said, I must ask about this new thought I had...

What is there to gain from Geno? And by that, I mean how exactly would Geno age within the next 10-20 years, provided he does not get another big role in another game outside of Smash by then? And with Geno only having a big role in one game so far, how would that affect how well he "ages" in the next 10-20 years? I mean, not that many people outside the Geno fanbase know or remember Geno, and I am sure many Geno fans would be happy with him in Ultimate, but still...
He’d go about the same as characters like:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob:. A fun retro character that ends up being remembered more for Smash than his original game. There’s nothing wrong with that especially if it makes people happy & Geno ends up being fun enough to gain new fans like the 3 I mentioned.

Shadow__Myth

Smash Cadet
always disappointing when I open the thread to a bunch of whining over nothing because it means there isn't any substantial news to be talking about lmao

here's hoping we get our reveal soon though

Yeah, I hate seeing people getting upset about other people's reactions. I realize that sentence is an oxymoron, but I like seeing this community happy and talking about the character who's brought us all together in a positive way. Focusing on people who don't like Geno isn't going to change anything.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He’d go about the same as characters like:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob:. A fun retro character that ends up being remembered more for Smash than his original game. There’s nothing wrong with that especially if it makes people happy & Geno ends up being fun enough to gain new fans like the 3 I mentioned.
Yeah, I was just curious and asking. That's it. No doubting Geno here or anything. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Ness is in this group, too. He's been in every Smash game, but he's had only one game for himself, and one cameo outside of Smash.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Diehard supporters of the protagonists of obscure 90s Japanese-only puzzle games and fighting game characters whose only exposure in the 21st century are ancient Latin American arcade cabinets suddenly become masters of economic theory when the sales viability of Geno is called into question

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Nowhere near being a Megaman clone as some people say, either. I understand some people not being attached to him, but to hate him and just pick on us? That is a low, if I do say so, myself.
I know right? I have characters I hate, that a small chunk of others want. You probably don't even know who they are because what's the point in my even talking about them when I have so many other characters I like or am neutral on? Why would I visit their threads? Disliking their designs is the only reason why I dislike them. Why would I go into their thread and be like "Yo I hate the way this character looks kbye"? On the rare occasion they're brought up in Newcomer Spec, nothing's stopping me from ignoring the thread for a while.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Hello Geno Thread! I need some help
So, Aaronitmar recently released a video where he talks about a leak that got a lot about Mario 3D collection right along with saying Geno would be coming to Smash
Now, the first conclusion to draw would probably be that he's getting leaks mixed up or he's talking about Sharon (who hardly mentioned 3D Collection, but I digress). The issue with that is, I remember either this thread or the Star Road Discord server talking about the exact same leak months ago. I don't remember if the leak itself was ever posted (and I honestly doubt it was) or if it was here or Star Road or somewhere else, but I'd like to sound the call for help. Mostly what I remember was someone user of Star Road or SmashBoards bringing up a leak where both 3D Allstars and Geno were coming. I'm not sure of the exact timeframe either, sometime after the Mario 3D collection made headlines as a leak but probably before August (though with quarantine, all time kinda just melds together). If we can at least prove that this leak was talked about prior by other people, that may be a huge boon to Geno evidence.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
I remember was someone user of Star Road or SmashBoards bringing up a leak where both 3D Allstars and Geno were coming. I'm not sure of the exact timeframe either, sometime after the Mario 3D collection made headlines as a leak but probably before August (though with quarantine, all time kinda just melds together). If we can at least prove that this leak was talked about prior by other people, that may be a huge boon to Geno evidence.
I remember hearing about a similar thing a while back.
I can't remember if it was a 4chan post or something else entirely...
UPDATE: might have been an old 4chan post from a year back I can't find it anymore it's probably archived or something....

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I know right? I have characters I hate, that a small chunk of others want. You probably don't even know who they are because what's the point in my even talking about them when I have so many other characters I like or am neutral on? Why would I visit their threads? Disliking their designs is the only reason why I dislike them. Why would I go into their thread and be like "Yo I hate the way this character looks kbye"? On the rare occasion they're brought up in Newcomer Spec, nothing's stopping me from ignoring the thread for a while.
That and other things they may say like that in the Newcomer Thread is just ignorance, if you ask me, hating a character like that while coming up for reasons to hate them and their fanbase...

I mean, even I see that Geno has a bigger chance to make it in over Captain Syrup from Wario Land, and I want that character in a Smash game, too. Still, if she became as popular as Geno somehow, people would look for reasons to hate on her and her fans, too. That is no good if you ask me. I mean, Geno does have a bigger change of getting in over characters like her.

And they are not making themselves look better by saying bad things about and to Geno fans for wanting him in. While it may be human nature to do that, I still think doing all that is rather inhumane.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Two weeks after a character the “smash fanbase” absolutely detests is revealed, they’re fine with em. Geno will be alright.

All the hatred for a character is usually focused on the speculation side of things.
This. It's amazing to me that people will dedicate YEARS to hating a character and yet 95% of the most aggressive detractors will get over it within two weeks. It's like... what's the point? I learned back in the Brawl days that being an antifan of any character is the biggest waste of time because you win nothing if you're right and, if you're wrong, you have basically signed the permission slip for that entire fanbase to dunk on you for as long as you did them and be wholly justified in doing so. I used to be super aggressive against Daisy and (ironically) Waluigi and Pac-Man but after I got justifiably dunked on for whining about Wolf and ROB for like two weeks before the US release of Brawl I thought to myself "hmm, maybe being an antifan is huge waste of time that justs sets you up for a huge fall in the end."

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This. It's amazing to me that people will dedicate YEARS to hating a character and yet 95% of the most aggressive detractors will get over it within two weeks. It's like... what's the point? I learned back in the Brawl days that being an antifan of any character is the biggest waste of time because you win nothing if you're right and, if you're wrong, you have basically signed the permission slip for that entire fanbase to dunk on you for as long as you did them and be wholly justified in doing so. I used to be super aggressive against Daisy and (ironically) Waluigi and Pac-Man but after I got justifiably dunked on for whining about Wolf and ROB for like two weeks before the US release of Brawl I thought to myself "hmm, maybe being an antifan is huge waste of time that justs sets you up for a huge fall in the end."
If you ask me, based on what you said, I say the haters are wasting their lives in a no good, negative way, and they don't know it. They already made themselves look bad with characters like K. Rool, Ridely, Banjo-Kazooie and Wolf (who I happen to like playing as) becoming playable, among others. Even after that, though, some just never learn.

Last edited:

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I think it's completely fair to still hate a character's inclusion after they are added. But it really doesn't matter, because they're in and you can't change that. But it also doesn't change the fact that I don't think Plant or Byleth should be in.

Firox

Smash Master
I think it's completely fair to still hate a character's inclusion after they are added. But it really doesn't matter, because they're in and you can't change that. But it also doesn't change the fact that I don't think Plant or Byleth should be in.
lol I'll give you that. I think the moral of the story is, are you free to hate a given character because you dislike their style or find them undeserving? Of course. To this day, I have about 10 minutes of playtime or less on Plant, Villager, Isabell, Pacman, Ice Climbers and Peach. That doesn't mean that I'm going to disparage their fanbases or claim that Smash is ruined because of them. They're just not my cup of tea. It's not like Sakurai can make EVERYONE happy. He can only tick as many boxes as he can and hope for the best. On the flip side, there are so many incredible characters I DO love like Greninja, Cloud, Pit, Wolf, Fox, Ridley, Krool, Banjo, Joker, Megaman, Mewtwo, etc. etc.

As far as speculation goes, we should be free to think if a character is probable or not. The issue comes from whether our reasoning is logical and factual or if it's simply irrational hatred for something we've never experienced. Finding POSITIVE support for each other's characters is much more constructive than just trolling a character thread because you don't have anything better to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom