• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ness is in this group, too. He's been in every Smash game, but he's had only one game for himself, and one cameo outside of Smash.
Ness is a bit iffy. You’re right about those points but Earthbound is like THE cult classic & is often cited as being one of the best games ever. Though, I bet a lot of its fans discovered it through Smash. So theoretically the same could happen to Geno/Mario RPG if he were to get in.

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny made a interesting point about he ( :geno: ) and his relevance in SMRPG: https://twitter.com/MonkeyDLenny/status/1308508009472163843?s=20
Unfortunately, I can't agree. Meeting Geno is just another beat to progressing the story. While his presence is vital for the story to go forward, he is, in the end, another reason for Mario to stop Smithy. We're not watching the story through his experiences. Not to say he doesn't have reason to be; he and Bowser both have good motivations (obviously secondary characters can have motives and arcs), but it is Mario who drives the plot forward by continuously engaging with the Smithy Gang and other shenanigans.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I'm not even going to argue about Geno not being a side character, mainly because anyone who actually plays the game knows he's a main protagonist, therefore anyone who claims he's a side character clearly hasn't played the game and hasn't even done minimal research so why bother debating someone who won't even try.

I'm not even going to talk about how this thread flip-flops on every bit of information about Geno like we can't possibly have nice things, or how randos who come into this thread and act unbiased call Geno a meme pick in the same ****ing post.

Right now, I'm just here for this.

HOW CAN YOU WORD THINGS SO POORLY?! WHY ARE YOU HOLDING SAKURAI AND HIS CONTENT HOSTAGE?!

Christ sake, just LET HIM DROP THE CHARACTER ALREADY!

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
People are probably just jealous that we possibly have one of the biggest support threads.
I don't like when some people in this thread act as Geno is number 1 but..........no the statement you said is correct.

Geno is one of the most talked about characters in Smash circles (not just Smashboards, unlike Isaac), so much so that people recognize Geno just because of that ("oh yeah, Geno, the guy people wanted in Smash") the only other 2 characters i can think of that did that are Ridley and King K.Rool............who got in Smash funnily enough.

So i can see why some people would go "WHY DOES MY WEEBTASTIC GACHA WAIFU GAME THAT HAS OVER 69 MILLION ACTIVE USERS GETS BARELY ANY SUPPORT FOR SMASH AND THIS LITERAL WHO GETS ALL THE ATTENTION? REEEEEEEEE"

I guess some people don't like seeing an underdog succeed.

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
about Geno not being a side character, mainly because anyone who actually plays the game knows he's a main protagonist, therefore anyone who claims he's a side character clearly hasn't played the game and hasn't even done minimal research so why bother debating someone who won't even try.
Ah... well, I have played it (multiple times) and that's just how I feel. Not downplaying his importance to the story. If anything they're all equally important.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

HOW CAN YOU WORD THINGS SO POORLY?! WHY ARE YOU HOLDING SAKURAI AND HIS CONTENT HOSTAGE?!

Christ sake, just LET HIM DROP THE CHARACTER ALREADY!
When I first saw the tweet, I just glanced over the wording and only took away that a tournament was happening. Didn't notice that cheeky wording at first...

Nintendo, this better be leading up to something besides just a tournament.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I would say Geno is more recognizable than Corrin lol might be a bad take though
I don't think Geno is more recognizable than Corrin, i feel that's too much of a "Smash Bubble" issue.

HOWEVER, i will say that in a scenario where Corrin didn't get into Smash 4, Geno would be far more fondly remembered than Corrin could have any hope to be. (it doesn't help Corrin's game was very controversial in many areas, at least Byleth's game is very well regarded) as Corrin was never heavily speculated that much before their reveal, and if they didn't get into Smash they would have been another flavor of the month FE hero like many before them like Erika from FE8.

In fact Geno is more talked about than most flavor of the month Smash Choices. Back in Brawl, Lyn, Michaiah and a Gen 3 rep were talked about, but outside of maybe Lyn you don't see people talking about them anymore in the context of Smash (outside of the Grass Bandwagon that happened in Smash 4 due to ORAS and Charizard going solo joined by Greninja). Same goes for Zoroark and Elma nowadays (well, aside of those 2 users here) and if Rex doesn't get in in this game, he will probably suffer the same fate.

This is mostly because nobody talks about Geno in relevance, they just talk about him because they think he's cool.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
When I first saw the tweet, I just glanced over the wording and only took away that a tournament was happening. Didn't notice that cheeky wording at first...

Nintendo, this better be leading up to something besides just a tournament.
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you two are referring to in this instance - what's being hinted at here? As far as I can tell, they're just using Min Min for puns to advertise this tourney.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you two are referring to in this instance - what's being hinted at here? As far as I can tell, they're just using Min Min for puns to advertise this tourney.
Quoted straight from the tweet itself...

"Will you secure a win win with Min Min or show off another fighter you’ve been working on?"

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
That's not really hinting at anything. "Will you use Min Min, or will you use someone else you've been practicing with?" There's no subtext or poor wording here.
Then why not just use the "someone else you've been practicing with" wording? There's no point in wording it like it's a hint at an upcoming reveal if it's not really meant to be a hint.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Then why not just use the "someone else you've been practicing with" wording? There's no point in wording it like it's a hint at an upcoming reveal if it's not really meant to be a hint.
Because it's not too uncommon to refer to practicing with another character as 'working on' them; I've been working on my Olimar, for example, but most of my work has been put into Banjo & Kazooie. This isn't exactly an uncommon turn of phrase. I know we're all antsy and looking for a Gotcha! from Nintendo to herald something new for the game, but we need to be cautious about seeing things that aren't there.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Perhaps a way to look at Geno that may appease many irked minds is that rather than seeing him as a third party rep (Square Enix), he can (and should preferably) be seen as another Super Mario rep. After all, he IS a Super Mario character (despite being owned by Square Enix), and since we're celebrating the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary, Geno joining the roster as a Mario rep. would be fitting.

Just to play around a bit, let's take a look at the Super Mario IP characters that have joined Smash throughout the years.

Super Smash Bros. (N64)
  • Mario
  • Luigi
Super Smash Bros. Melee (NGC)
  • Peach
  • Bowser
  • Dr. Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
  • None...
Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U
  • Rosalina
  • Bowser Jr.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Daisy
  • Piranha Plant
*Albeit identified with a different character icon, there are characters associated to the Super Mario Bros. franchise that have also joined, those being:
  • Yoshi (Super Smash Bros - N64)
  • Wario (Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii)
That being said, Geno coming in as another Super Mario rep would give Daisy company in regards to newcomers from the IP.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, the 7/11 ad is very promising for an end of September reveal, if not release since as mentioned before, October the 4th is a Sunday and we do have precedent with a Sakurai Presents being announced after a Smash tournament ends.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Delzethin just uploaded a video where he listed three characters he thinks has the best shot for being CP7, and Geno was on that list:

[In case some of you don't know who Delzethin is somehow, he is a huge Geno supporter like us, and has made a few concepts in the past for how he could work in Smash. He is a pretty chill dude, and he makes some really great videos, so I highly recommend giving him a watch].

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm still trying to catch up on the previous pages of this thread and right now it's an assortment of

it makes no sense why geno is this popular, i mean he was literally a side character in one game. nobody cares about him, and you guys are pushing it in everyone's faces by generating artificial popularity. you guys make no sense and no i wont take the time out of my day to understand why this character is beloved, instead im going to criticize because it's a lot easier to do than to try and understand.

Ah, basic human nature. When you come across something unfamiliar or different, you criticize it instead of trying to understand.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny made a interesting point about he ( :geno: ) and his relevance in SMRPG: https://twitter.com/MonkeyDLenny/status/1308508009472163843?s=20
My biggest problem with when people use the "side argument" against Geno is that it doesn't hold up as well when you compare Geno's significance in SMRPG to characters with similar significance in other games, especially other JRPGS.

I like using FF7 as a good comparison. Geno's significance to SMRPG is similar to Aerith, Tifa, and Barrett's. Like I guess you could classify those three party members as side characters, but then literally every character with some type of role in FF7 that isn't Cloud and Sephiroth would be a side character. And if that's the case, those three party members would definitely be the highest tier of side character. The funniest part in this is that I've seen some videos on YouTube and lists on the internet where people would prefer Tifa as a second FF7 rep over Sephiroth.

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think a party member from a JRPG should ever be considered a side character in game.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Here comes some random thought dumping from your’s truly:

Regardless of Geno’s importance in the story of SMRPG, there’s no denying that a lot of people like the ol’ gun pinocchio. There’s plenty of reasons as to why everyone seems to want him in, maybe it’s because he’s got a cool design, or maybe it’s because he could have an interesting moveset, or maybe it’s because you grew up playing SMRPG and he was always your favorite character. Geno’s no different from any other potential Smash pick in that regard.

Are there bandwagoners for Geno? Absolutely, but a lot of the bandwagoners have a genuine interest in the character. I’m a big proponent for not gatekeeping Smash characters, and that goes for Geno especially. Obviously not all of his fans have played SMRPG, and that’s okay, we kinda needed these guys so Geno could become as popular as he is today.

If Geno was added to Smash as DLC, would he sell well? I mean, Terry sold very well and I’m pretty sure 90% of the Smash install base had no idea who he was. If characters are added to Smash they’re gonna sell well, I doubt Geno getting added as DLC would be a financial disaster for Nintendo or Square Enix or anything (though i’m sure some people would like that).

Finally, I wanna gently suggest that we stop throwing shade towards the newcomer thread, since every time we do that someone will come join the Geno thread and repeat the same “but why geno?!1!1!” questions every single time. If the newcomer thread seriously irks you then just don’t look at it or something, I dunno.

Our journey’s probably coming to a close real soon anyways. Might as well enjoy the time we have here instead of bickering with eachother, eh?

A64D77B6-527E-4122-82D4-F68C1DC7161B.png

Colors

Smash Rookie
I'm a little bit concerned that the subject matter some of you choose to argue about is whether or not Geno is a side character or a protagonist! Think about it! It truly doesn't matter. Have you already forgotten Min Min's inclusion? Although it may feel a little differently since ARMS isn't an RPG with Party Members, ARMS does representation on the boxart with Springman being focus there and every other promotional material. Springman was also the first ARMS member to become an Assist Trophy (AT). Did it raise a lot of eyebrows? Not really, it actually made sense! ARMS was a new IP in its infancy so they safely tucked away the Mascot as an AT. It almost felt like it was born out of necessity for a recent title representation, and wasn't the byproduct of fans' outcries & support for the franchise.

It's such a silly thing to think about when you frame it in your mind that way. It doesn't matter if Geno is understood as a protagonist, a deuteragonist, a side character, or a party member. We have to remember he's going to be viewed, understood, and appreciated differently by almost everyone. Everyone may feel a little differently about role he may have played in SMRPG, but mostly everyone here in this thread agree on what role he should play in the future. That's right, it's time for him to join Smash!

There's so much love for this character, I feel it here every day. Please, don't let petty arguments get you down! His role in the game does not matter. The fans' love for him has transcended time and generations of gaming. When we look at the inclusion of Min Min and Piranha Plant (among a few other characters), well, it might be easier to brush off the aggressors and just wait patiently for our time!

Really, it's not worth debating about! If Geno was an uninteresting or unworthy pick for Smash by any means, this thread would not have amassed well over 3,000 posts.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
It's such a silly thing to think about when you frame it in your mind that way. It doesn't matter if Geno is understood as a protagonist, a deuteragonist, a side character, or a party member.

Really, it's not worth debating about! If Geno was an uninteresting or unworthy pick for Smash by any means, this thread would not have amassed well over 3,000 posts.
I agree. But, the reason we even debate this at all is because detractors and good-faith-questioners show up and basically ask "Why do you support this side character so much?" They strike me as knowing very little about SMRPG, so we then have to explain that Geno is more than a side character and why. If it didn't get asked frequently, it wouldn't get talked about much.

Delzethin just uploaded a video where he listed three characters he thinks has the best shot for being CP7, and Geno was on that list:

[In case some of you don't know who Delzethin is somehow, he is a huge Geno supporter like us, and has made a few concepts in the past for how he could work in Smash. He is a pretty chill dude, and he makes some really great videos, so I highly recommend giving him a watch].
After listening to Delzethin describe how Lloyd would probably play, I've gone from neutral on Lloyd to wanting him. I love swordies and had been thinking recently about how none of them are very combo-centric. I was thinking that could be Sora's niche, but now I know it would work for Lloyd too!

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The following is a video by GameOver Jesse from December 17, 2015. Quite some time ago. However, the topic he talks about is one that curiously is being echoed thanks to the surfacing of rumors in the present day. However there is an interesting segment within this video that is brought up that helps shed some light as to how important SMRPG is; not just as an RPG game, but for Square Enix as well. Jesse refers to an article which demonstrate said importance; thus the following excerpt from it:

"An unnamed intern at Square Enix gave us the details about the "RPG Juku" initiative. Square Enix president Yoichi Wada introduced the program with the following:

"In 1996, Square released a game called Super Mario RPG. We were blessed with the opportunity to work with Nintendo on that project. Today, this game is still received well. Many critics have even praised the game more highly than recently released titles like Final Fantasy XIII. In order to improve Square Enix's output in terms of their RPG games, all staff must play Super Mario RPG in a program we call "RPG Juku". You will have three days to complete the game."

After the three-day period, top executives asked employees what they thought was good about the game. Many said the unique battle system, the interactivity with the environment, and the minigames were good aspects about Super Mario RPG. One employee was fired after they said that "the ease from going to point A to B on the world map" was one of the top features of the game."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently there is a program called "NESmaker" that lets you make NES games. You can code them but if you don't know how to code it also has a beginner option. And since I'm an artist that doesn't know how to code... You can make Mario-esque platformers or Zelda like games. A couple other things

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Apparently there is a program called "NESmaker" that lets you make NES games. You can code them but if you don't know how to code it also has a beginner option. And since I'm an artist that doesn't know how to code... You can make Mario-esque platformers or Zelda like games. A couple other things
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm very slowly working on an RPG. Only doing sprites in MS Paint for now, but this could be really helpful for me 5ish years from now when I'm ready for the next step!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Thanks for the heads-up! I'm very slowly working on an RPG. Only doing sprites in MS Paint for now, but this could be really helpful for me 5ish years from now when I'm ready for the next step!
If you want a free program for making RPG's, when I was young I used a program called "OHRRPGCE" that is fairly easy to use.

D

Deleted member

The following is a video by GameOver Jesse from December 17, 2015. Quite some time ago. However, the topic he talks about is one that curiously is being echoed thanks to the surfacing of rumors in the present day. However there is an interesting segment within this video that is brought up that helps shed some light as to how important SMRPG is; not just as an RPG game, but for Square Enix as well. Jesse refers to an article which demonstrate said importance; thus the following excerpt from it:

"An unnamed intern at Square Enix gave us the details about the "RPG Juku" initiative. Square Enix president Yoichi Wada introduced the program with the following:

"In 1996, Square released a game called Super Mario RPG. We were blessed with the opportunity to work with Nintendo on that project. Today, this game is still received well. Many critics have even praised the game more highly than recently released titles like Final Fantasy XIII. In order to improve Square Enix's output in terms of their RPG games, all staff must play Super Mario RPG in a program we call "RPG Juku". You will have three days to complete the game."

After the three-day period, top executives asked employees what they thought was good about the game. Many said the unique battle system, the interactivity with the environment, and the minigames were good aspects about Super Mario RPG. One employee was fired after they said that "the ease from going to point A to B on the world map" was one of the top features of the game."

So this basically confirms that Square Enix even though they don’t do anything with the series without Nintendo, thinks it’s an important game. I think I talked about before if I actually did is the Mii costume significance. Why let an obscure Mario character give treatment of the closest thing of being a playable character when there are other more important, recognizable, and iconic Square characters to give that treatment? That Mii costume and the article could be a sign that they could be open with Geno’s inclusion. Not to mention the seven squares memo seeing Geno viable enough to be on the list of potential characters.

edit: the article is fake

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom