• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

While I totally get your sentiment, I'd rather get Geno and have him be overshadowed then nothing at all. That said, I'm curious how SE would feel about having one of their pseudo-IPs get run over like that. Almost makes me wonder if we really would get a double reveal or if Sakurai would want to give Geno more attention, all things considered. I mean, if the mii costume could get its own splash screen and special mention, I doubt Sakurai would let the actual fighter be a fart in the wind.
Really specifically, it's who he would share the spotlight with, and I think many people here are under no illusion that Master Chief could be more and more and more likely as time goes on. (I ****ing hate to even type that...) Not to mention that I think Halo and the dudebro gaming generation is hugely responsible for the sad state the games industry is in right now. Halo is good fun and all, but I have a massive hatred for it and its legacy.

With Banjo and Hero, no one stole the spotlight, they appeal to different people and are equally nuts in their respective regions. Everyone can appreciate the implications of Dragon Quest and a Microsoft franchise being in Super Smash Bros. Geno is already a contentious character among fans and probably not really a hype play for the layperson - his best aspect is that he's gonna look really goddamn cool when he's shown off. If some big name icon is shown off next to him, he's going to go forgotten entirely - all the haters are gonna be able to slither off into whatever hell pit they crawled out of and not be called out for being dickheads for half a decade while the entire universe is partying and games media is calling Nintendo the second coming of Christ because once again they advertised for Microsoft in their hit crossover fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Really specifically, it's who he would share the spotlight with, and I think many people here are under no illusion that Master Chief could be more and more and more likely as time goes on. (I ****ing hate to even type that...) Not to mention that I think Halo and the dudebro gaming generation is hugely responsible for the sad state the games industry is in right now. Halo is good fun and all, but I have a massive hatred for it and its legacy.

With Banjo and Hero, no one stole the spotlight, they appeal to different people and are equally nuts in their respective regions. Everyone can appreciate the implications of Dragon Quest and a Microsoft franchise being in Super Smash Bros. Geno is already a contentious character among fans and probably not really a hype play for the layperson - his best aspect is that he's gonna look really goddamn cool when he's shown off. If some big name icon is shown off next to him, he's going to go forgotten entirely - all the haters are gonna be able to slither off into whatever hell pit they crawled out of and not be called out for being dickheads for half a decade while the entire universe is partying and games media is calling Nintendo the second coming of Christ because once again they advertised for Microsoft in their hit crossover fighter.
None of those haters matter, only Geno.

I don't care how the **** it happens, just that it does.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Why is the Newcomer thread in a tizzy over Geno, or are they always like that?
You've probably been through this argument often, but it's also about how overblown the Geno bubble has become. Why Geno? Was he really popular back in the day where his game was relevant? Why him, and not Mallow? Those are genuine questions, coming from a fairly neutral person on the topic, and yet these get brushed aside under the label of "Geno hate". Which then leads people like me to believe Geno in Smash is more of a meme than anything serious, and it gets tedious to see people bring back Geno all the time. And it gets worse when people dare compare Geno to Banjo in term of fandom/origins, or to Waluigi in term of relevance. You can see people getting sick of it after... ~4000 pages in the speculation thread, and ~3500 here...

If we’re being honest, Geno would be that nobody if he was revealed along with someone else. Not in terms of the Smash fan base, but to gaming in general.
That's one of the sad realities about Geno. He was only in one game, and as a side character. Most people remember SMRPG more as the first game where you could play as Peach and Bowser, not quite for Mallow and Geno. So in term of sales, Geno is a very bad seller, even compared to more "boring" yet recognizable characters like Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, and other "secondary" characters in their series that at least the common of mortals will have heard of. And that's not counting actually relevant characters for their genre, to the history of video games, or plain popular main characters from big franchises/companies.

Firox

Smash Master
Not to mention that I think Halo and the dudebro gaming generation is hugely responsible for the sad state the games industry is in right now.
Personally, I blame the "Call of Duty" dudebros more for the degeneracy of gaming. It's the people that lap up the same yearly released garbage and then beg for more. While I agree that Halo has stagnated a lot as of late, the first three games were pretty legendary in their own right.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You've probably been through this argument often, but it's also about how overblown the Geno bubble has become. Why Geno? Was he really popular back in the day where his game was relevant? Why him, and not Mallow? Those are genuine questions, coming from a fairly neutral person on the topic, and yet these get brushed aside under the label of "Geno hate". Which then leads people like me to believe Geno in Smash is more of a meme than anything serious, and it gets tedious to see people bring back Geno all the time. And it gets worse when people dare compare Geno to Banjo in term of fandom/origins, or to Waluigi in term of relevance. You can see people getting sick of it after... ~4000 pages in the speculation thread, and ~3500 here...

That's one of the sad realities about Geno. He was only in one game, and as a side character. Most people remember SMRPG more as the first game where you could play as Peach and Bowser, not quite for Mallow and Geno. So in term of sales, Geno is a very bad seller, even compared to more "boring" yet recognizable characters like Waddle Dee, Dixie Kong, and other "secondary" characters in their series that at least the common of mortals will have heard of. And that's not counting actually relevant characters for their genre, to the history of video games, or plain popular main characters from big franchises/companies.
Although I see where you are coming from, similar comments could be made about characters like Ridley, King K Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie.

D

Deleted member

None of those haters matter, only Geno.

I don't care how the **** it happens, just that it does.
Every other dog in this race has had his big day, unimpeded. The logical, happy side of me is glad that it'll happen, no matter what.

The petty, angry, spiteful dog in me wants his big day and impossibly big payoff.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So this happened.

So first off, Byleth did have an ad, though I unfortunately cannot afford the time to find it.

Secondly, if A aaronitmar can explain what leak he's talking about or anyone else can that would be great because he doesn't show the leak in his video for whatever reason. Apparently there was a leak that called a lot of things regarding Mario's 35th right and also said that Geno is in, and I would love to see if that leak actually matters or not in terms of who said it and where it came from.

Heoj

Smash Ace

That whole first paragraph just comes off as incredibly odd. Like the way you talk about how you and other people might see geno more as a meme because you dont understand the appeal, i mean dude, if you dont understand the appeal that doesnt mean the character can be considered a "meme". I dont understand the appeal of crash, waluigi or Lara Croft but im not gonna view them as a "meme", those are just characters I'm not particularly interested in. And if your still asking questions like "Why Geno", then theres a whole lot of different videos and fanart and stuff that can answer that. But honestly, why do we need to have solid reasons for wanting a character in a fighting game, it should be pretty easy to understand, I bet you have characters you want to see, so you should see where we are coming from.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
So this happened.

So first off, Byleth did have an ad, though I unfortunately cannot afford the time to find it.

Secondly, if A aaronitmar can explain what leak he's talking about or anyone else can that would be great because he doesn't show the leak in his video for whatever reason. Apparently there was a leak that called a lot of things regarding Mario's 35th right and also said that Geno is in, and I would love to see if that leak actually matters or not in terms of who said it and where it came from.

This one I believe.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
That's one of the sad realities about Geno. He was only in one game, and as a side character. Most people remember SMRPG more as the first game where you could play as Peach and Bowser, not quite for Mallow and Geno.
That’s not even close to correct. Peach was playable for the first time in Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), and Bowser was playable for the first time in Super Mario Kart.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Although I see where you are coming from, similar comments could be made about characters like Ridley, King K Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie.
People were wondering why Banjo wasn't in Smash 64, that's how big of an N64 icon he was. He was second to Mario only, propagated a whole genre of 3D platformers... His franchise might not have lived quite as long but there's no denying the massive popularity, even today, of his games and his legacy. King K Rool and Ridley are in a slightly different boat. They were part of a movement where people wanted to see the protagonists, but also the villains, of the games. So they are iconic in different ways, and more about completing a franchise's roster in Smash. It's why people would love to see, as an example, Tails, Knuckle and more importantly Dr Robotnik as part of the Sonic franchise representation. Can Geno claim to be similarly genre defining, or a mainstay villain in his series? No, because he was a side character, not a villain, and only part of one game. It's like asking yourself why they didn't pick any Fire Emblem side character, or anybody else but Joker, Cloud or Hero, for the main RPG series in Smash.

That whole first paragraph just comes off as incredibly odd. Like the way you talk about how you and other people might see geno more as a meme because you dont understand the appeal, i mean dude, if you dont understand the appeal that doesnt mean the character can be considered a "meme". I dont understand the appeal of crash, waluigi or Lara Croft but im not gonna view them as a "meme", those are just characters I'm not particularly interested in. And if your still asking questions like "Why Geno", then theres a whole lot of different videos and fanart and stuff that can answer that. But honestly, why do we need to have solid reasons for wanting a character in a fighting game, it should be pretty easy to understand, I bet you have characters you want to see, so you should see where we are coming from.
This is exactly what I meant by being relegated to "Geno hate". You didn't answer my questions. Of course some people like their character, but the problem with Geno is that his original popularity does not match his current popularity on here. There's a huge disconnect, and you don't see that with other characters, only with Waluigi which also became a meme. I can't deny that Geno has an original design, and that his one game was fun. But why such a surge in popularity? Why him and not Mallow, which has identical circumstances? Why him and not any of the Paper Mario sidekicks? Why such a massive movement starting with Smash 4, when there was barely anything beforehand?

Those are all very serious questions, and maybe it requires social-science essays to be able to answer, but the short answer to it is that a bandwagon formed and a lot of people jumped in for a reason or another. But unlike almost every other potential candidate (bar Waluigi), the origins of the movement are really different than any other, and as an outsider to this movement, I really wish some Geno fans would notice and admit those circumstances, realize that objectively, he's really not likely, and that no artificial push of his popularity will make it that much more likely. And I try to say that as neutrally as possible, as a testimony about what makes the majority of people not buy the Geno propaganda.

And likewise, I've seen even on the last page some saying they think Mallow would be a good pick as well, and that shows good faith in their pick. Nobody needs to justify individually why they like their pick, but as a community, you have to understand why and how a character becomes "popular", and the reach of that popularity. Some Geno fans are extremely vocal about it, and yet are such a tiny group that don't actually represent the interests. As some have stated before, realistically speaking, Geno is not popular with the masses, very few people remember him as a character, and he would be a terrible seller bar to a small bubble of super dedicated fans. At least Waluigi is present in a ton of party games the common of mortals have heard of or played.

That’s not even close to correct. Peach was playable for the first time in Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA), and Bowser was playable for the first time in Super Mario Kart.
Karting games are not exactly what I'd call a reference for a character being playable... Lots of Bowser personality and character development in there. Peach is on me, I did forget about that game, but it's not exactly the same either, there's so much more to her in SMRPG than in a 2D platformer with barely any dialogue... That being said, you didn't answer any of my questions either, just trying to discredit me for one slightly off comment?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
While I totally get your sentiment, I'd rather get Geno and have him be overshadowed then nothing at all. That said, I'm curious how SE would feel about having one of their pseudo-IPs get run over like that. Almost makes me wonder if we really would get a double reveal or if Sakurai would want to give Geno more attention, all things considered. I mean, if the mii costume could get its own splash screen and special mention, I doubt Sakurai would let the actual fighter be a fart in the wind.
I don’t think Square would care. They clearly don’t care about the Geno character since they haven’t tried using him in anything since 1996. If we get Geno in Smash, then it’d be Square doing something nice for Nintendo.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don’t think Square would care. They clearly don’t care about the Geno character since they haven’t tried using him in anything since 1996. If we get Geno in Smash, then it’d be Square doing something nice for Nintendo.
Aren’t they not using him because he probably can’t be used without Mario, who they don’t own?

Firox

Smash Master
Aren’t they not using him because he probably can’t be used without Mario, who they don’t own?
I think this would be the main reason. Basically, Nintendo lost Geno in the divorce with Square. Meanwhile Square had no use for an accessory to a toy they didn't own.

MattX20

Smash Hero
People were wondering why Banjo wasn't in Smash 64, that's how big of an N64 icon he was. He was second to Mario only, propagated a whole genre of 3D platformers... His franchise might not have lived quite as long but there's no denying the massive popularity, even today, of his games and his legacy. King K Rool and Ridley are in a slightly different boat. They were part of a movement where people wanted to see the protagonists, but also the villains, of the games. So they are iconic in different ways, and more about completing a franchise's roster in Smash. It's why people would love to see, as an example, Tails, Knuckle and more importantly Dr Robotnik as part of the Sonic franchise representation. Can Geno claim to be similarly genre defining, or a mainstay villain in his series? No, because he was a side character, not a villain, and only part of one game. It's like asking yourself why they didn't pick any Fire Emblem side character, or anybody else but Joker, Cloud or Hero, for the main RPG series in Smash.

This is exactly what I meant by being relegated to "Geno hate". You didn't answer my questions. Of course some people like their character, but the problem with Geno is that his original popularity does not match his current popularity on here. There's a huge disconnect, and you don't see that with other characters, only with Waluigi which also became a meme. I can't deny that Geno has an original design, and that his one game was fun. But why such a surge in popularity? Why him and not Mallow, which has identical circumstances? Why him and not any of the Paper Mario sidekicks? Why such a massive movement starting with Smash 4, when there was barely anything beforehand?

Those are all very serious questions, and maybe it requires social-science essays to be able to answer, but the short answer to it is that a bandwagon formed and a lot of people jumped in for a reason or another. But unlike almost every other potential candidate (bar Waluigi), the origins of the movement are really different than any other, and as an outsider to this movement, I really wish some Geno fans would notice and admit those circumstances, realize that objectively, he's really not likely, and that no artificial push of his popularity will make it that much more likely. And I try to say that as neutrally as possible, as a testimony about what makes the majority of people not buy the Geno propaganda.

And likewise, I've seen even on the last page some saying they think Mallow would be a good pick as well, and that shows good faith in their pick. Nobody needs to justify individually why they like their pick, but as a community, you have to understand why and how a character becomes "popular", and the reach of that popularity. Some Geno fans are extremely vocal about it, and yet are such a tiny group that don't actually represent the interests. As some have stated before, realistically speaking, Geno is not popular with the masses, very few people remember him as a character, and he would be a terrible seller bar to a small bubble of super dedicated fans. At least Waluigi is present in a ton of party games the common of mortals have heard of or played.

Karting games are not exactly what I'd call a reference for a character being playable... Lots of Bowser personality and character development in there. Peach is on me, I did forget about that game, but it's not exactly the same either, there's so much more to her in SMRPG than in a 2D platformer with barely any dialogue... That being said, you didn't answer any of my questions either, just trying to discredit me for one slightly off comment?
If you want some good explanations as to why Geno fans want the character in so much, there are two videos I can relay to you

a random user

Smash Journeyman
geno could be used without mario, he would just have to have his own series staring himself. The problem is the ownership is split between nintiendo and enix ,so geno himself is owned by both 50-50 while geno could have his own game with no mario stuff, they couldn't actually make it without nintiendo's permission defeating the point. pokemon has a similar problem where creatures inc, pokemon company, and nintiendo all have to agree. dragon quest is just as bad with 3 for the charecters, 4 if you want the music to
just to prove it could be done, for a example sonic had a comic book series in the 90's a guy named ken penders made some charecters in it, when he left he still had ownership of these charecters and made his own (terrible) series
video on the guy if you care

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Super Mario RPG's original SNES release sold about 2 million iirc and has been re-released three times (the third on SNES Classic).

The Geno movement started before Smash 4; I wasn't here for it, but other people have backed this up. People have even said his Smash 4 support was smaller until the mii costume showed up, a costume that was treated special compared to the others.

Bandwagons aren't bad as long as people genuinely like the character.

Objectively, all characters are just as likely as each other (besides some like Bubsy I suppose), since we don't know for sure what Nintendo and Sakurai want. Honestly, I don't see why any of this matters, it's a videogame and we all just want to see our favorite characters get in. The series has also acknowledged obscure characters including some it has made playable. I don't get the need for confusion and bickering over stuff, and seeing things as "propaganda" in a serious context.

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I can't say as to why him for sure, but I always thought he stood out more than Mallow and as a kid I thought he was cool due to design and his flashy moves. Even my older brother who isn't really into branching out from Zelda or Mario fondly remembers Geno and roots for him for Smash, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't played SMRPG in a decade. I guess he's just a strong visual symbol for some people's childhoods when things were a lot less complicated.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Some people are like, “I don’t get the appeal of X character therefore bad.” If people don’t get it, they might not get it. I don’t get the appeal of Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo, Phoenix Wright, or Layton, but I just go with it.
Yeah, what they don't know is that much is not true.

By the way, I have gone past 10,000 posts right now! Yay me!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What “a random user” said could be true. Either way I imagine Square would just see Geno as a Nintendo character they’d be profiting off of. Not something they’d worry too much about potentially being overshadowed.

Unless the Mario RPG revival rumors are true, in which case they’d probably care a lot more about Geno in Smash.

Tbf, I think it’d be very hard to completely overshadow Geno at this point. He’s become a big name when it comes to Smash & even Nintendo talk in general recently. Even if he were to be revealed next to say Master Chief or Crash, he’d still get a lot of attention.

The only thing that would absolutely overshadow him is if we somehow got a Sony character & they were revealed at the same time.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What “a random user” said could be true. Either way I imagine Square would just see Geno as a Nintendo character they’d be profiting off of. Not something they’d worry too much about potentially being overshadowed.

Unless the Mario RPG revival rumors are true, in which case they’d probably care a lot more about Geno in Smash.

Tbf, I think it’d be very hard to completely overshadow Geno at this point. He’s become a big name when it comes to Smash & even Nintendo talk in general recently. Even if he were to be revealed next to say Master Chief or Crash, he’d still get a lot of attention.

The only thing that would absolutely overshadow him is if we somehow got a Sony character & they were revealed at the same time.
Yeah, I can see that. That said, I must ask about this new thought I had...

What is there to gain from Geno? And by that, I mean how exactly would Geno age within the next 10-20 years, provided he does not get another big role in another game outside of Smash by then? And with Geno only having a big role in one game so far, how would that affect how well he "ages" in the next 10-20 years? I mean, not that many people outside the Geno fanbase know or remember Geno, and I am sure many Geno fans would be happy with him in Ultimate, but still...

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
People are probably just jealous that we possibly have one of the biggest support threads.
No this is flat out the biggest support thread. Only thread bigger is Social and this thread and Newcom Spec are always locking horns to see which is the biggest overall.
Correction: It was locking horns with Newcom Spec at one point I believe it was when Terry was revealed

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Just want to chime in that I don't think the newcomer speculation thread (NST) is bad or has bad people (obviously exceptions always exist). I'm not a Geno detractor, a critic of this thread or its people, and have been coming here on and off for years. I've sincerely believed Geno is a lock for years now.

Some rightfully point out that (phrasing is my own) the Geno thread is basically a combination of a social thread, newcomer speculation thread, and Geno support thread, and gets away with certain things because of its size (third largest), legacy (over 3 years old with regular activity for Ultimate), and the fact that Geno might get in soon and it'll die down afterwards. It's like a Discord server with only one channel, and there are currently pretty much no other threads like it on Smashboards. We don't like people coming in here to be drive-by trolls, naysayers, hype police, or vehement critics, and I don't think any other character thread experiences those kinds of visitors with the same emotional charge and regularity as Geno, but it's the natural price we have to pay now and again for having a thread like this.

Smash news is so bizarrely drawn out and sparse that anyone in the NST who doesn't want to talk about Geno can't be criticized, because there's only so much you would care to say about a single character you're ambivalent to among infinite possibilities. Especially if you've seen, heard, and discussed the evidence (that they might not even think is evidence) and aren't convinced, which is fully reasonable. This thread is a very small community with a few dozen particularly active members and for it to come up again and again when you'd rather talk about something else would bug anyone.

The NST is not an anti-Geno thread, there are plenty of people there who think Geno is viable, even likely, and plenty of people who just don't care. They talk about a wide variety of characters besides Geno, he's just coming up a lot nowadays because he's so likely and polarizing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see who will be next soon. Just wait for a little longer. I do hope that Nintendo has someone to present to get people buying FP2 after Min Min presentation 3 Months ago.

Don't forget that the Smash Community is running out of fan rules to use since the latest one with Min Min and the others in the past. Really, Smash Ultimate is breaking a lot of fan restrictions.
Artist: Mast3r-Rainb0w
the_floodgates_are_open___min_min_in_smash___by_mast3r_rainb0w_ddzxezq-pre.jpg

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
People are probably just jealous that we possibly have one of the biggest support threads.
Bring down that ego a bit, I doubt anyone cares your thread is as big as it is. Im not part of this but most probably just dont like the thread in general and not because they are jealous

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Says the NST thread regular that pops in just to make a suspiciously jealous comment.
how is that a jealous comment? I just said I wasnt one of those. Trust me, if I was jelly, id come in here saying "why are yall bigger then the Sora and Layton thread? its not fair" But its just cause we dont have the support you all have and thats not a bad thing at all. The different threads have different amounts of support for different characters. Of course, naturally one thread is going to be larger than another with the biggest support

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom