• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
Let me try to summarize it.

-Corporate mergers usually take years to go public.

-Both companies come together because they want it to happen but it's a complicated process.

-Most of the time is dedicated to negotiations and hammering out the legal details.

-Microsoft and Bethesda were likely working on this in secret for a long time.

-Because of Nintendo and Microsoft's strong relationship, Nintendo likely knew this was happening.

-This was likely put into consideration while choosing Smash DLC.

-Bethesda and Zenimax are now publicly Microsoft properties and Nintendo had to have known this well in advance for Fall Out content to even be allowed in Smash.

-DOOM is now publicly a Microsoft IP.

-Cacodemon and Mallow were allegedly leaked Mii costumes last November heavily implying one is for a Square Enix pack and the other is for a Microsoft pack.

-Coincidentally, Square and Microsoft were the two big reveals at E3 2019 too.

I feel like this has been us for the last two and a half years:

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just wondering about this Microsoft news; if they have room for two more Microsoft reps, may in future Smash Bros. games, I would love to see Master Chief and Doomguy get into a Smash game and duke it out with each other.
Just the thought of this being likely now is surreal. In the future we could have Ridley vs K. Rool vs Banjo & Kazooie vs Geno vs Crash vs Master Chief vs Doom Slayer vs Sora. We live in the best timeline in terms of Smash I'm telling you.

Firox

Smash Master
OK, guys, I was away for the weekend and now I'm seeing a ton of confidence for Geno and Master Chief rolling around. Don't get me wrong, I would be overjoyed to get those two, but what happened recently to gain that boost?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
This all relies on whether Nintendo actually knew tbh. And just because they have a history of porting games and obviously Banjo but I don't know if it's quite there to not seem outlandish that Nintendo were aware of internal affairs. Could help Cacomallow but I don't see how it isn't a stretch to remain sceptical about if Nintendo would actually be made aware of this

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Uhhh... so I don't know of this raises or lowers Doom Slayer's chances, but Microsoft literally just bought Zenimax/Bethesda. ...this is massive.

View attachment 286335
View attachment 286334

(Thought I'd share this because Geno fans and Doom Slayer fans have been bros since Cacomallow.)
Yo wait a minute. Just saw Bethesda trending on Twitter and when I saw the tweets, and see the discussion going on here, and think about the Smash speculation thus far (particularly from Microsoft and Bethesda/Id Software's side of things)... did Microsoft played the Galaxy Brain deal with Nintendo back in E3 2019?!?!?!

E3 2019 Secret Meeting Conference Room ZERO

Nintendo: "Thank you so much Microsoft for the continued support. This E3 truly has been a great one."
Microsoft: "Hey don't sweat it. We also wanted to see Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash. Fans have been asking for it for a long time and, it was only natural that we agreed."
Nintendo: "Good, good. Speaking of Smash and additional software for the Switch, we currently tasked Sakurai and his team to begin development on a second Fighters Pass; something like a Season 2 like most fighting games now days."
Microsoft: "Ah, interesting. That'll sure get fans hyped."
Nintendo: "Right you are. However, we're a few characters short to fill the slots and we were wondering if you'd be interested in lending another IP."
Microsoft: "Oh, well another IP you say. Hmm."
Nintendo: "We had already thought of asking you about a specific character but were a bit hesitant."
Microsoft: "Who did you have in mind?"
Nintendo: "Master Chief."
Microsoft: "Ah, I see."
Nintendo: "We understand that he is pretty much the mascot of XBOX and we understood that having such an iconic and exclusive character in Smash wouldn't be as simple. Then again, our collaborations thus far have proven quite successful that we wondered if you'd be OK with the idea."
Microsoft: "Well, as you said, he is our mascot, and although our collabs have done well, for Master Chief to be in Smash, we'd like a collaboration of equal value in return. You do know what we mean right?"
Nintendo: "I believe to have an idea."
Microsoft: "And?"
Nintendo: "That's a difficult choice."
Microsoft: "It's ok, don't sweat it. Actually, I have another character that might work better for the slot."
Nintendo: "Really? Who?"
Microsoft: "Well, to give a bit of context before telling you; this is between us since negotiations just started recently. We're in the works of closing a deal to purchase ZeniMax Media and acquire Bethesda Studios, among other studios to join our partners. That will give us the rights over a certain iconic franchise that I know will be a hit choice for Smash."
Nintendo: "Wait, are you serious?! You don't mean..."
Microsoft: "Yep. Doom Guy."
Nintendo: "Whoa, this is, this is actually great!"
Microsoft: "Like I said, we're still kicking off negotiations for the purchase so some things may take a bit of time. But if you want, we'll lend you Doom Guy and DOOM content for Smash for the second pass."
Nintendo: "Pal, you got yourself a deal!"

The time has come.

D

Deleted member

...huh... with that said, if Microsoft and Bethesda officially merged and take a while to go public and if Nintendo knew, I thought it would make sense that they could of saved Vault Boy for Master Cheif like they didn’t give Banjo any Microsoft costumes. Oh well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Holy Hell... Geno and Master Chief really were likely supposed to be the E3 2020 reveals... Geno, a supposed "Literal Who" being revealed in the same presentation as one of the biggest global gaming icons...

KCCHIEFS27 KCCHIEFS27 PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate

We really are approaching the end, lads, and it's an amazing thing to watch unfold. It's been an honor, gentlemen. Don't regret these past 15 years at all. Thanks for sticking around. "Let's get this show on the road!"

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
ngl, I'd laugh if Halo's Grunt ends up as a Mii costume. That way I could reinact scenes from Halo by playing MC vs 7 Grunt Mii's while playing with projectile and explosive items on high.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Just realized after internalizing the news that, coincidentally, MICROSOFT and SQUARE ENIX are kicking off TGS 2020. Sure, they may not show anything Smash related here but the fact that MICROSOFT is starting off TGS along with SQUARE ENIX; is Nintendo being hell-a cryptic this year or WHAT?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Holy Hell... Geno and Master Chief really were likely supposed to be the E3 2020 reveals... Geno, a supposed "Literal Who" being revealed in the same presentation as one of the biggest global gaming icons...

We really are approaching the end, lads, and it's an amazing thing to watch unfold. It's been an honor, gentlemen. Don't regret these past 15 years at all. Thanks for sticking around. "Let's get this show on the road!"
We are almost near the finish line Fatman. It was a honor serving here with you and the rest of the star comrades

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
This all relies on whether Nintendo actually knew tbh. And just because they have a history of porting games and obviously Banjo but I don't know if it's quite there to not seem outlandish that Nintendo were aware of internal affairs. Could help Cacomallow but I don't see how it isn't a stretch to remain sceptical about if Nintendo would actually be made aware of this
Imagine thinking that companies who are big and in the same business as other big companies don't know what the other are doing.

Now, add in the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft have been working closely together and have a great partnership now, and it makes even less sense.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet
The chances of Cacodemon coming with a Master Chief pack just skyrocketed. As a Doomguy fan... things could be better.

I mean, I don't hate the idea of Chief or anything, and I'm glad CacoMallow is more likely for Geno's sake, but things could be better.
Yup I feel that man, as someone who's most wanted is Sora with Doomguy as 2nd/3rd MW, this was a double whammy for me. Now, I have nothing against Geno or Chief, honestly I think you Geno guys deserve it after waiting so long, it's just disappointing for me ya know.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I understand the skepticism but, legally speaking, Nintendo had to have known for the simple reason that we got a Vault Boy Mii costume. If Microsoft is now the IP owner of Fallout, Microsoft would have had the final say, not Bethesda. Nintendo publicly said work on Season 2 was happening last September meaning at the very least Pack 6 was actively being worked on meaning Nintendo likely knew about the merger since at least E3 2019, around the time Season 2 was greenlit according to Imran Khan.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yo wait a minute. Just saw Bethesda trending on Twitter and when I saw the tweets, and see the discussion going on here, and think about the Smash speculation thus far (particularly from Microsoft and Bethesda/Id Software's side of things)... did Microsoft played the Galaxy Brain deal with Nintendo back in E3 2019?!?!?!

E3 2019 Secret Meeting Conference Room ZERO

Nintendo: "Thank you so much Microsoft for the continued support. This E3 truly has been a great one."
Microsoft: "Hey don't sweat it. We also wanted to see Banjo & Kazooie make it into Smash. Fans have been asking for it for a long time and, it was only natural that we agreed."
Nintendo: "Good, good. Speaking of Smash and additional software for the Switch, we currently tasked Sakurai and his team to begin development on a second Fighters Pass; something like a Season 2 like most fighting games now days."
Microsoft: "Ah, interesting. That'll sure get fans hyped."
Nintendo: "Right you are. However, we're a few characters short to fill the slots and we were wondering if you'd be interested in lending another IP."
Microsoft: "Oh, well another IP you say. Hmm."
Nintendo: "We had already thought of asking you about a specific character but were a bit hesitant."
Microsoft: "Who did you have in mind?"
Nintendo: "Master Chief."
Microsoft: "Ah, I see."
Nintendo: "We understand that he is pretty much the mascot of XBOX and we understood that having such an iconic and exclusive character in Smash wouldn't be as simple. Then again, our collaborations thus far have proven quite successful that we wondered if you'd be OK with the idea."
Microsoft: "Well, as you said, he is our mascot, and although our collabs have done well, for Master Chief to be in Smash, we'd like a collaboration of equal value in return. You do know what we mean right?"
Nintendo: "I believe to have an idea."
Microsoft: "And?"
Nintendo: "That's a difficult choice."
Microsoft: "It's ok, don't sweat it. Actually, I have another character that might work better for the slot."
Nintendo: "Really? Who?"
Microsoft: "Well, to give a bit of context before telling you; this is between us since negotiations just started recently. We're in the works of closing a deal to purchase ZeniMax Media and acquire Bethesda Studios, among other studios to join our partners. That will give us the rights over a certain iconic franchise that I know will be a hit choice for Smash."
Nintendo: "Wait, are you serious?! You don't mean..."
Microsoft: "Yep. Doom Guy."
Nintendo: "Whoa, this is, this is actually great!"
Microsoft: "Like I said, we're still kicking off negotiations for the purchase so some things may take a bit of time. But if you want, we'll lend you Doom Guy and DOOM content for Smash for the second pass."
Nintendo: "Pal, you got yourself a deal!"

The time has come.
Man I WISH this would be our timeline but hey, Master Chief in Smash is a pretty good alternative for me if Doom Guy ain't getting in. Of course Geno has a lot going for him already, too.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Wow, talk about a bombshell to walk in on first thing after I get back from work and a nice shower. This bodes really well for a lot of things, and the 7/11 ad definitely gives me hope for the last week of September for the FP7 reveal and the week after that for the release at the latest

D

Deleted member

Imagine thinking that companies who are big and in the same business as other big companies don't know what the other are doing.

Now, add in the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft have been working closely together and have a great partnership now, and it makes even less sense.
There's something to be said for keeping corporate secrets, you know... I mean, this is why leaks exist. I'm not even saying it's impossible that Nintendo knew, just unlikely.

Best argument I have for why Nintendo would know is that they'd need to plan ahead for their future involvement with Bethesda, which is a real possibility.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I understand the skepticism but, legally speaking, Nintendo had to have known for the simple reason that we got a Vault Boy Mii costume. If Microsoft is now the IP owner of Fallout, Microsoft would have had the final say, not Bethesda. Nintendo publicly said work on Season 2 was happening last September meaning at the very least Pack 6 was actively being worked on meaning Nintendo likely knew about the merger since at least E3 2019, around the time Season 2 was greenlit according to Imran Khan.
Ok I kind of get that. Apparently mergers can take as little as several months but I suppose it's different when it's as large as Bethesda merging with MS from Zenimax. This does help Cacomallow i guess but I don't really want to jump the gun just yet. I would love it if it were Chief and Geno but idk I think that would just be way too good to be true in one E3 considering nothing Nintendo has ever unveiled at E3 smash related has been quite that caliber

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
I personally like Star Road Crusaders. It makes me think of something else:

Bowyer: "Ah? So you're approaching me? Instead of running away, you're coming right to me?"
Geno: "I can't beat the crap out of you without getting closer."
Bowyer: "Nya! Come as close as you like!"

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
With Microsoft buying Bethesda it makes me question even more why Nintendo aren’t willing to buy the mario RPG rights.

the rights for some of the mario RPG content is gonna be nowhere near the price was for Bethesda.

within that content they’d be getting one of the most popular Nintendo characters out there.

It really confuses me and I wish there was someone who has inside info on the whole situation that could provide a reason for Nintendo not trying to negotiate for them

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It's Monday morning, and now we're in the timeline in which whether it's Master Chief or Doom Slayer, we're most likely still getting a second MICROSOFT rep. It's all about stopping for a moment to think about it. Not only that, but the things that somehow seem to have always had a connection as things become clearer now. Pete Hines back in the September 4th, 2019 Nintendo Direct announcing DOOM 64 coming to Nintendo Switch. Nothing special, just him announcing the game, but the fact that Hines himself was featured in the Direct (and this guy ain't no ordinary guy let me tell ya), "really makes you think". The eerie mystery behind the release date for the Switch version of DOOM Eternal. And heck, the news this morning, thinking back on the CacoMallow leak give it more of a context of it having been a puzzle that at the moment it first appeared it didn't make sense, but after some time it would; at present day the enigma of the leak seems to have acquired a more solid and convincing sense! Imo, the news on Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda Studios, plus the CacoMallow leak seem to mix into a soft confirm for both Geno and a 2nd Microsoft rep (whether it's Master Chief, or Doom Slayer).

Man... this week started off CRAZY!

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hm, now that I think about it, with how people like Fatmanonice Fatmanonice have been hearing and thinking that a second Microsoft rep for Smash is a thing and how these deals usually take a long time, maybe this Microsoft rep could either be Master Chief OR Doom Guy. Master Chief is their mascot so it would make sense that he would get chosen but this is the same company that let Banjo get in Smash first, so who knows. Regardless, I am actually feeling excited now!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Whoah, what's going on now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom