• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I don't buy it. Think about it this way, the anniversary celebrations end in March, (and I'm under the assumption the Anniversary was originally going to be announced at E3 and celebrated until December, but once it became clear stuff was getting pushed back like 3D World they just decided to wait 3 months until September and extend 3 months to March) and we already have 3D World releasing in February. Whatever other games are meant to coincide with this anniversary, we would have seen them get announced yesterday, I mean they had no problem announcing 3D World 5 months away. Even for Nintendo that does seem like a bit TOO much Mario over a period of time if they still have some unannounced. Not to mention, everything about this anniversary leaked months ago, aside from the smaller digital stuff/weirder releases. If there was some kind of other BIG Mario game meant to be out soon as well, I feel like it would be out in the open by now.
the only other things i can think of are
mario kart 9/dlc for 8-unlikely given the new toy/game
odyssey 2- i could see this happening it has been around 3 years since odyssey came out, not sure if it would be this year, but they have had time to make it if they wanted it
new 2d mario- not sure if they would make one given maker is out
mario sports game
smash dlc- geno, waluigi, toad are all possibilities, some more likely than others
mario+rabbids 2, like odyssey it should have been long enough for this to be mostly developed if they wanted to make it
captin toad dlc- for the cut mario 3d world levels
random merchandise

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don’t think a Mario Sports game for example has to be tied to Mario’s 35th. It can be in the works by the nature of being a Mario spin-off which just kinda happens once in a while

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, where have you heard that the Captain Toad levels have been cut from 3D world? Would be disappointed if that is the case.
other way around captin toad treasure tracker had 3d workd levels on wii u, they were replaced with odyssey levels for the switch port

Last edited:

Ray102396

Smash Apprentice
Just curious, where have you heard that the Captain Toad levels have been cut from 3D world? Would be disappointed if that is the case.
I think they meant the other way around, the 3D World levels cut from Captain Toad and replaced with Odyssey levels if I'm remembering correctly.
EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
other way around captin toad treasure tracker had 3d workd levels on wii u, they were replaced with odyssey levels for the switch port
I think they meant the other way around, the 3D World levels cut from Captain Toad and replaced with Odyssey levels if I'm remembering correctly.
EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d
Thanks for the clarification.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I noticed that the Mario World upgrade is called "Bowser's Fury" but it's more like Bowser's Furry. It'd be kind of cool if he got power ups other than just the cat suit like the boomerang suit
Nightmare scenario - Bowser gets his own evil cappy and takes control of people and things like we did in Odyssey.
And it'd be amazing.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I noticed that the Mario World upgrade is called "Bowser's Fury" but it's more like Bowser's Furry. It'd be kind of cool if he got power ups other than just the cat suit like the boomerang suit
Give him the Blue Shell or Hammer Bro. Suit, just for the sake of double Koopa.
Nightmare scenario - Bowser gets his own evil cappy and takes control of people and things like we did in Odyssey.
And it'd be amazing.
He was actually going to do that for the final battle in Odyssey. On Peach. I am not kidding, Bowsette was almost canon before Bowsette was even a thing.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I don't really feel like buying the upcoming Mario collection. I havent played Sunshine or 64 but I really don't wanna support whatever Nintendo is doing. I have played Mario 3D World but that actually looks to have substantial new content, so I'm more willing to buy that.

Come one, both the Crash and Spyro trilogies are full on remakes that only cost 40 dollars each. I know that this collection will sell a lot because of high demand. People really wanted this collection, so people are more willing to buy this despite the high cost and Disney vault shenanigans.

Edit: Oh yeah I also forgot that Nintendo literally stole the Mario Battle Royale idea from a fan project that got DMCA'd, which is also only available for a limited time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I was at one of my Illuminati meetings earlier today and Brother Dark Wizard Voldemort brought up a good point: partner showcases are probably going to continue being late month things going forward. The mini in March for all intents and purposes was basically a Partner Showcase too outside of Smash so we now technically have three occurrences of this.

Beyond this, there's always been at least a week's difference between character announcements and releases. Amiibo releases and character releases have never happened in the same week either with the one exception being the Japanese release of Terry's Amiibo wave the day after his global release. So, this all being said, let's map this out...

Because of the Amiibo wave at the end of the month and the fact another partner would most likely be during that week too, the chances of 7 being released the week of 21st are pretty small. With that in mind, it puts a high probability of 7 being released the week of the 14th which puts a high probability of 7 being announced the week of the 7th given the typical minimum week gap between character announcements and releases as well as character releases and Amiibo waves. Decided to look into it and, going back to 2014, General Directs are overwhelmingly either the first or second full week of the month so that ups the chances of a presentation being this coming week quite a bit too. I also noticed that, date wise, General Directs usually fall on "single digits" dates and, when they don't, they rarely go beyond the 14th.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was at one of my Illuminati meetings earlier today and Brother Dark Wizard Voldemort brought up a good point: partner showcases are probably going to continue being late month things going forward. The mini in March for all intents and purposes was basically a Partner Showcase too outside of Smash so we now technically have three occurrences of this.

Beyond this, there's always been at least a week's difference between character announcements and releases. Amiibo releases and character releases have never happened in the same week either with the one exception being the Japanese release of Terry's Amiibo wave the day after his global release. So, this all being said, let's map this out...

Because of the Amiibo wave at the end of the month and the fact another partner would most likely be during that week too, the chances of 7 being released the week of 21st are pretty small. With that in mind, it puts a high probability of 7 being released the week of the 14th which puts a high probability of 7 being announced the week of the 7th given the typical minimum week gap between character announcements and releases as well as character releases and Amiibo waves. Decided to look into it and, going back to 2014, General Directs are overwhelmingly either the first or second full week of the month so that ups the chances of a presentation being this coming week quite a bit too. I also noticed that, date wise, General Directs usually fall on "single digits" dates and, when they don't, they rarely go beyond the 14th.
Yep, that sounds about right. Next week would be an ideal time to announce at bare minimum a Sakurai Presents

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Unpopular opinion, but I’m liking the shadow drop thing Nintendo has going on. I wouldn’t mind if they continued with this approach as long as new information was always flowing like it is now.

I’m assuming any smash news will be dropped the same way.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

So, Sakurai Presents either next week... or potentially the last week of the month/first week of October. Hrm. It's already Friday, so I feel like if we are getting something next week we'll start getting signs such as another round of site-maintenance.

For the record, if there was a General Direct of any kind next week, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of teasing or speculation from people in the know right now, given the very solid track record regarding dates this year? At this point I'm seeing people like Nate not expecting a General at all this year. I know Nintendo always holds a direct in September, but I feel like the Mario 35th Direct took that slot this year.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I've been seeing so much disappointment with the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection and I'm honestly not sure why. I get some complaints like the fact this game will only be available for a limited time, and it is so freakin' strange that Galaxy 2 was skipped over for this collection, but honestly, just the fact that we are getting this collection at all is absolutely astounding.

Some people complain about the fact that Nintendo was "lazy" and that they should've done more work with these remasters besides simply porting them, but to that I ask, why bother? These three games are absolutely timeless and if Nintendo were to change things about each of these games, they will get loads of criticism for that too, so they can really make no one happy no matter what decision they decide to do. Also, one of my favorite sayings, don't fix what isn't broken. Fixing these games too much could easily make it a worse experience, and honestly, 64 and Galaxy are absolutely perfect as they are. The only thing those two games really needed was just an HD up-scaling. The only game that really did need some improvements was Sunshine by making the blue coins easier to find, by having a "blue coin tracker" sort of deal, but to that I say, this isn't 2002 anymore. Their are plenty of guides nowadays to help you with that, and it shouldn't be as hard as it probably was back in the day.

Some people also complain about the fact that this game is $60, but honestly, that is a better deal then I have seen most people give it credit for. People need to remember that not everyone has a Switch to play these games, and I am assuming most Switch players of this generation are new and probably never grew up with an N64, GameCube or Wii. Nowadays, an authentic cartridge of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy costs roughly $30 each, adding up to $90 in total for each of these games. If you don't think that is a lot, then you also need to consider the fact that these people probably don't even have the systems to play these games on. As I said earlier, most of the current Switch owners probably never grew up with the older Nintendo systems, so using that mindset, they would most likely need to buy these old systems if they are interested in playing these old games. The Nintendo 64, GameCube and Wii are around $100-$200, and in total, would be around $400-$500! And that doesn't even get in to the combined total of each of these games + these systems, which the grand total would most likely be around $590-$600!
So yeah, if you're someone that is complaining over the $60 price for this Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection, you really need to check the facts and do some research, because $60 isn't a bad deal when adding all of this up.

But yeah, as you can tell, I am excited for this game. This collection isn't perfect, but if I want to play all these games in 2020, you better believe this will be my go-to way to play these games for now on, and I am extremely excited for the 18th. 14 days cannot come any sooner!

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Tbh I'm more excited about the 3D World port. I only ever played the Wii U version single player but having the ability to play online co-op with friends is a game changer, and it's a game I always wanted to do multiplayer with but I just can't do irl co-op with people any more.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, Sakurai Presents either next week... or potentially the last week of the month/first week of October. Hrm. It's already Friday, so I feel like if we are getting something next week we'll start getting signs such as another round of site-maintenance.

For the record, if there was a General Direct of any kind next week, wouldn't we be seeing a lot of teasing or speculation from people in the know right now, given the very solid track record regarding dates this year? At this point I'm seeing people like Nate not expecting a General at all this year. I know Nintendo always holds a direct in September, but I feel like the Mario 35th Direct took that slot this year.
There just happens to be a schedule future maintenance period for the 14th, so it falls in line with the possibility of a Sakurai Presents happening next week and then the release date for FP7 the week after
1599258625629.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m honestly just psyched to play three legendary 3D platformers that I’ve never experienced.
None? Really? I recommend doing Sunshine then 64 then Galaxy. Sunshine was kind of a disappointing follow up to 64 but 64 is still a classic but has aged hilariously bad. Galaxy honestly blows both of them out of the water and, in my opinion, is borderline close to a perfect Mario game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't think there's a contradiction between being excited for the 3D Collection and being willing to criticize aspects that feel underwhelming to you. The issue as I've seen it is that these games are not coming out in a vacuum. In a marketplace that has the likes of Crash Bandicoot or a Spyro the Dragon getting remakes that not only redo the graphics and design of three games, but coming out in a package for $40? That kind of landscape does have a lot of people looking at a Mario Collection with a more critical eye, especially when the basic requests are fairly benign.

Is wanting Mario 64 in widescreen or Mario Sunshine with 60FPS really that much of an ask to a company that has the money and resources of Nintendo? You may have a different answer or believe the question isn't worthwhile, but there are lot of people who are wondering that. Keep in mind that something like Mario Sunshine coming out is a big deal... but only because Nintendo themselves have chosen not to put it on any sort digital marketplace in the last 18 years, despite there being a clear want for it. It feels a bit like wanting to feel grateful to Disney for putting out an old animated classic on the shelves given its rarity... when it being in the Disney Vault is the reason its so rare.

Furthermore the notion of these games being timeless is very much up to interpretation anyway. The existence of fans that prefer Mario 64 DS over the N64 original points to the fact that some people view the changes of the former as an improvement. Moreover, its not even a case of having to be faithful or not faithful; clearly there is nothing stopping them from having an option to play the game as it was or in an updated fashion. And even options that would make it the most like the initial experience, like using a Gamecube pad for Sunshine? That controller's not compatible; so apparently upping the frame rate for that game would be too much of a change, but utilizing the controller it was designed around doesn't change it enough.

If you're excited to play the games, especially for the first time? More power to you. But this collection could be so much more that what it is, and I don't begrudge anyone who looks at it and laments the wasted potential of the whole package.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
None? Really?
Yeah.

I wasn’t born in 1996, so no 64. I was a baby in 2002, so no Sunshine. I didn't get into video games until I was around 8-9, and that was after Galaxy came out, so no Galaxy.
I recommend doing Sunshine then 64 then Galaxy. Sunshine was kind of a disappointing follow up to 64 but 64 is still a classic but has aged hilariously bad. Galaxy honestly blows both of them out of the water and, in my opinion, is borderline close to a perfect Mario game.
Ay thanks for the advice.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Hopefully my boyfriend or his mom can snag me a copy of the 3D collection for Christmas. I'd have a blast revisiting 64 and Sunshine, he'd have a blast watching me play them (he doesn't play much because he's not very good at video games lol). And I've never played Galaxy but it looks excellent!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as the games themselves, Mario 64's biggest weakness is the camera. If you can work with that (and getting booted out of a level after getting a star) you basically still have a very solid platformer.

Mario Galaxy is a bit of an estuary between the open world of a 64 or Odyssey and the more linear set up of Galaxy 2 or 3D Land. It has some sandbox elements but it also emphasizes straight platforming courses with a greater degree than the games before it. While not my favorite 3D Mario (its sequel has that distinction), it does have the best atmosphere of any of them.

Sunshine.. is an interesting beast. It does have my favorite controls of any of the 3D games and I've never had greater fun messing around in a hub world like that one. However its effort to build a coherent world feels like it hurts some of the design as the beach theme gets a little old and its sandbox elements don't hit at the same consistency as its platforming sections. Its probably the one Mario title that is still fun, but feels like didn't quite reach the potential of its ideas, especially with how certain mechanics are implemented.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Yoshi isn't classified as a Mario character in Smash, Dr. Mario is. Geno also is in his current form as a spirit. So there's a basis for Yoshi excluded, but there is no reason for Dr. Mario or Geno to be excluded, other than Geno either not releasing beforehand or being released too close to the start of the tournament.
You're missing the point entirely. The tournament is only for characters with the Mushroom series symbol. Yoshi does not have that. Dr. Mario does.
It's pretty clearly because Yoshi represents his own series. Geno would certainly represent the Mario series, and as such he'd be included in this tournament.
If the goal is to have a tournament with the characters that fall under the umbrella of the mushroom icon in SSBU, then yes, the characters that are and aren't in the tournament is very clear cut. I'm looking at it from a different perspective to being with. I'm talking about main Mario franchise characters that are significant to its 35th anniversary.

When I think of Mario franchise characters, I think of Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and most of the rest of the cast listed in the tournament. I think about Yoshi, Toad, Goombas, and other characters, too. But I don't think about Dr Mario. Even if I did, I wouldn't put him on the same level of franchise significance as a Koopa Trooper or ShyGuy. Mario Tennis Mario and Dr Mario aren't as significant to the franchise as blue-overalls-red-hat Mario, they're just the same Mario wearing different outfits.

If they were picking characters based on 35th anniversary franchise significance as a whole instead of mushroom icon, Dr Mario and Geno would be down towards the bottom of the list, and below Yoshi for sure. Dr Mario doesn't have plushies and keychains and cakes and all the tons of merchandising that a lot of these other characters do. You know you're not a super important Mario franchise character if you've never even been in a Mario Kart.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Are you ok? I love you D:
Sometimes my knees and/or hips get confused and think that I'm about twenty years older than I am. Nothing major.

Anyway, I was kinda hoping to wake up to a Sakurai announcement, but maybe that'll come in the next few days anyway. Things seem to be lining up, anyway? Isn't that our catchphrase?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Lmao!

I’m honestly just psyched to play three legendary 3D platformers that I’ve never experienced.
Are you serious?! Dude should play 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy they're some of the best 3D platformers ever made.

Sunshine was kind of a disappointing follow up to 64 but 64 is still a classic but has aged hilariously bad.
Though, SM64 has aged much better than most N64 games and this is coming from the mouth of a N64 enthusiast who doesn't like to downplay the N64 for it's graphics. The Rareware games and Goemon games I would say aged much better than Nintendo's games on the console even though they all have the same quality in gameplay, music, and level design.

ZerBerry

Smash Cadet
Wow ! I've never saw someone who did not played these games in my entire life.

I wasn’t born in 1996, so no 64. I was a baby in 2002, so no Sunshine. I didn't get into video games until I was around 8-9, and that was after Galaxy came out, so no Galaxy.
I was a baby in 1997, it didn't stop me from playing 64 which was my first Mario game... I obviously had some trouble as a baby player at first

And I recommend you doing 64 first since it's the first 3D game and somewhat the one who aged kinda badly but it's still a classic, then maybe Sunshine because it's a very pleasant game and the atmosphere feels really nice (and the glitches to do are funny) and maybe Galaxy because it's the most epic one (and it has Rosalina damn it !)

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
TFW papagenos papagenos and Fatmanonice Fatmanonice are revealed as Geno's adopted sons in the trailer, sent to earth to scout ahead for his mission. <3

Sometimes my knees and/or hips get confused and think that I'm about twenty years older than I am. Nothing major.

Anyway, I was kinda hoping to wake up to a Sakurai announcement, but maybe that'll come in the next few days anyway. Things seem to be lining up, anyway? Isn't that our catchphrase?
Papa's got a new vid that explains everything 9 mins in! Also, if it makes you feel better my knees are even worse. Lets just say Im not called MattOnWheels for nothing. I know the pain of sore legs. :(

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I've been seeing so much disappointment with the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection and I'm honestly not sure why. I get some complaints like the fact this game will only be available for a limited time, and it is so freakin' strange that Galaxy 2 was skipped over for this collection, but honestly, just the fact that we are getting this collection at all is absolutely astounding.

Some people complain about the fact that Nintendo was "lazy" and that they should've done more work with these remasters besides simply porting them, but to that I ask, why bother? These three games are absolutely timeless and if Nintendo were to change things about each of these games, they will get loads of criticism for that too, so they can really make no one happy no matter what decision they decide to do. Also, one of my favorite sayings, don't fix what isn't broken. Fixing these games too much could easily make it a worse experience, and honestly, 64 and Galaxy are absolutely perfect as they are. The only thing those two games really needed was just an HD up-scaling. The only game that really did need some improvements was Sunshine by making the blue coins easier to find, by having a "blue coin tracker" sort of deal, but to that I say, this isn't 2002 anymore. Their are plenty of guides nowadays to help with you with that, and it shouldn't be as hard as it probably was back in the day.

Some people also complain about the fact that this game is $60, but honestly, that is a better deal then I have seen most people give it credit for. People need to remember that not everyone has a Switch to play these games, and I am assuming most Switch players of this generation are new and probably never grew up with an N64, GameCube or Wii. Nowdays, an authentic cartridge of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy costs roughly $30 each, adding up to $90 in total for each of these games. If you don't think that is a lot, then you also need to consider the fact that these people probably don't even have the systems to play these games on. As I said earlier, most of the current Switch owners probably never grew up with the older Nintendo systems, so using that mindset, they would most likely need to buy these old systems if they are interested in playing these old games. The Nintendo 64, GameCube and Wii are around $100-$200, and in total, would be around $400-$500! And that doesn't even get in to the combined total of each of these games + these systems, which the grand total would most likely be around $590-$600!
So yeah, if you're someone that is complaining over the $60 price for this Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection, you really need to check the facts and do some research, because $60 isn't a bad deal when adding all of this up.

But yeah, as you can tell, I am excited for this game. This collection isn't perfect, but if I want to play all these games in 2020, you better believe this will be my go-to way to play these games for now on, and I am extremely excited for the 18th. 14 days cannot come any sooner!
I can understand why you’d be excited, every one of those games are great in their own right and it’s convenient to have it on a system you actually use.

I personally criticize this approach by Nintendo due to how other consoles have approached their back catalogue games. Both Sony and Microsoft have handled their virtual archives consistently better than Nintendo and continue to offer so much more.

Not only major console manufacturers, but other publishers as well continue to offer remakes and remasters with more obvious effort placed into their rereleases.

Kingdom Hearts for example. While I absolutely despise how many times this game has technically been released, (lol all while avoiding the switch)
“The Story So Far” Offered

-KH1 Final mix
-Kh re chain of memories
-kH2 final mix
-Birth by sleep final mix
-KH DDD
- brand new additional content from other games of the series

I think All of this was priced at 40$ brand new.

All I’m saying is that in terms of “Value”, too many companies have Nintendo beat, and are willing to go the extra mile when creating these collection style titles.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I can understand why you’d be excited, every one of those games are great in their own right and it’s convenient to have it on a system you actually use.

I personally criticize this approach by Nintendo due to how other consoles have approached their back catalogue games. Both Sony and Microsoft have handled their virtual archives consistently better than Nintendo and continue to offer so much more.

Not only major console manufacturers, but other publishers as well continue to offer remakes and remasters with more obvious effort placed into their rereleases.

Kingdom Hearts for example. While I absolutely despise how many times this game has technically been released, (lol all while avoiding the switch)
“The Story So Far” Offered

-KH1 Final mix
-Kh re chain of memories
-kH2 final mix
-Birth by sleep final mix
-KH DDD
- brand new additional content from other games of the series

I think All of this was priced at 40$ brand new.

All I’m saying is that in terms of “Value”, too many companies have Nintendo beat, and are willing to go the extra mile when creating these collection style titles.
To be entirely fair, Story So Far was a Collection of Remasters that already existed in 1.5+2.5 Remix and 2.8, and 1.5+2.5 Remix was ALSO already a Compilation of Ports of 1.5 and 2.5 Remixes for the PS3, which THEMSELVES were already 2 remasters each. A literal Collection of Collections of Collections of Collections. That being said, 64 not being widescreen and Sunshine not being 60fps is still pretty shocking to me, that felt like bare minimum stuff.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I have an honest question to propose for you all: Let's say a fighter is revealed next week and it isn't Geno, or a Mario character for that matter. Would that lower Geno's chances?

I don't know if I'm wrong for feeling this way, but with the Mario tourney coming up and the end of 2020 being very Mario-oriented, I feel this is the perfect time for a Mario character to be revealed. A Mario character could still happen later down the line of course, but having that tourney months away really makes me think this is the time.

Maybe FP7 announced next week, it's Geno, and he releases in time for the tourney, but who knows. I'm more worried that we're going to be dragged through the entirety of 2021, waiting months at a time for that announcement.

D

Deleted member

New Papa video, and is focused in Geno: https://youtu.be/tP9YpjPD1Ws
I strongly agree that they’re saving the Mario Anniversary event until November is very strange. They usually do these events shortly after an announcement as far as I know and we’ve seemed to forgot they added the Mario Maker stage in Smash 4 during Mario’s 30th anniversary. They may easily add a character very soon before the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom