• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Well, that happened. Here's where I'm at right now:
-= Pros =-
  • A ton of Mario games are now available on Switch, allowing a whole new generation of kids to get frustrated over Sunshine's **** side missions.
  • Super Mario 3D World has online multiplayer, meaning we all now have a reason to actually play Super Mario 3D World with friends.
  • Super Mario 3D World has new content with "Bowser's Fury", whose packaging blurb has no doubt become the next "All New Funky Mode".
  • We now have Super Mario Bros. Battle Royale, so I guess we know why Nintendo took down that fangame.
  • IRL Super Mario Kart, which looks cute as ****.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. resurfaces as himself for the first time after years of disuse.
  • Super Mario All-Stars is now on NSO, where they belong.
  • Bunches of new merchandise, some of which actually looks like the kind of stuff I might wear outside for a single day before burning it all in shame.

-= Cons =-
  • SM3DAS is just upscaled versions of the original games. Not that they needed the update, of course, but it would've been nice if SM64 at least got Odyssey-tier graphics.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 is now confirmed to be the red-headed stepchild of the 3D Mario games, with even references to it having been scrubbed from the history books. Now it could be included later down the line as DLC, sort of like how the re-released SMAS with SMW bundled in, but either way the situation is ****ed.
  • From the direct footage, it appears that they've redone the sound effects. So long "So long, gay Bowser!".
  • No Shoshinkai '95 demo as a bonus, not that I was expecting it, but it would've been really ****in' sick.
  • Super Mario RPG still isn't on NSO.
  • Nothing in this direct has convinced me to buy these remasters or games.

Overall, it was about what I expected.

View attachment 284404

Nintendo confirmed enemies of The Big Gay. :ultmario::ultinkling::ultpacman::ultluigi::ultsonic::ultridley:

Are you serious? Man, ** these smug *** and their teasing bull****.

Well my first order of business is to upload my reaction to YouTube, followed by plenty of posting on this here Smashboards. Next would be to start production on my "BestGuyEver" Geno video. After that, I'll mostly just hang around here until discussion dies down, then move on to another character thread. Once the DLC is finally over I'll most likely leave this website until the next game gets announced.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, why else would they announce a Super Mario 35th Anniversary tournament for November when the anniversary is in September? It doesn't make much sense. Also, if this character gets revealed/released in September, it would mean that the tournament would be able to use the latest patch. I recall that Hero was barred from official tournaments held around a month out from his release because players wouldn't have had enough time to get used to his playstyle, which would've been considered unfair.
I would definitely start working on that already. Video edits take a long time.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
A press release, confirmed by GameXplain, states that online co-op does exist, yes.

However, as much as I love that this is true, I'm just kinda side-eying the state of Mario Maker 2 online multiplayer. Like... 2D is rough. What'll happen in 3D??

EDIT: Replying to Firox Firox - tried to quote, but it didn't go through, ugh.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But think about it this way, we established the character is likely out in September/Early October months ago and that still seems pretty rock solid. At this point, why would they even bother revealing them in a separate presentation just to hold a Sakurai presents only a week or two later? I guess they could reveal them in a direct and then immediately hold a Sakurai presents after like Banjo, but isn't that basically the same thing as just revealing them in a standalone Sakurai presentation?
overly eager prediction: You're implying Geno would be revealed in a direct because you know he's coming with SMRPG2 as this rando has said and it would make sense for them to be revealed together and not in a Sakurai presents, which explains your confidence in Geno recently and during that brief stretch of time pre-First Partner Direct when we all thought It Was Happening.

realistic questioning: you're very confident in Geno's chances in relation to what's been going on recently, but I recall only one of your sources seemed to think Geno was likely at all. Can you explain this disparity? Have any of these people changed their minds?
Because I rely more on my own research than what my contacts tell me. They supplement my research and if they tell me things that don't mesh with what I've found, I don't take it seriously until I find stuff that backs it up. For example, like last December, one of my guys was predicting Master Chief for 5 and I thought it was so unrealistic that I thought he was jumping the shark... Until the evidence poured in like a flash flood in late December/early January. Obviously he was wrong about Chief for 5 but the evidence is now pretty stacked that Chief is eventually coming. Geno's situation is that, yes, a lot of insiders have heard him the last two years but most don't take him seriously for one reason or another. For me it's a sum of a whole sort of thing and why I was able to write 15 pages on the topic and I could probably nearly double that now given what's unfolded since January.

Also I was serious about it being too early for SMRPG2: Frogfucious is ****in' Pissed. I feel like certain things need to happen first before something like a full blown sequel is greenlit.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I would definitely start working on that already. Video edits take a long time.
I dunno, I'd rather not start anything for this video until I'm mostly certain he's coming. I mean, the only reason I had my Banjo & Kazooie video uploaded the day of the reveal was because Shinobi leaked him ahead of time and it was pretty much a guarentee that he'd come.

I guess I could get some individual scenes for it done now, I suppose. Couldn't hurt, I suppose.

Is this confirmed? I didn't see any details about online 3D world in the direct.
Right here:

D

Deleted member

Because I rely more on my own research than what my contacts tell me. They supplement my research and if they tell me things that don't mesh with what I've found, I don't take it seriously until I find stuff that backs it up. For example, like last December, one of my guys was predicting Master Chief for 5 and I thought it was so unrealistic that I thought he was jumping the shark... Until the evidence poured in like a flash flood in late December/early January. Obviously he was wrong about Chief for 5 but the evidence is now pretty stacked that Chief is eventually coming. Geno's situation is that, yes, a lot of insiders have heard him the last two years but most don't take him seriously for one reason or another. For me it's a sum of a whole sort of thing and why I was able to write 15 pages on the topic and I could probably nearly double that now given what's unfolded since January.

Also I was serious about it being too early for SMRPG2: Frogfucious is ****in' Pissed. I feel like certain things need to happen first before something like a full blown sequel is greenlit.
I wonder what made Frogfucious so pissed. Was it Mallow? Guess we gotta find out!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Also, if they're okay shadow dropping a 15 minute presentation of their longest running series that includes all of (or a good deal of) their Mario plans through the next 6 months, I absolutely think they could shadow drop a Sakurai Presents. There's no precedence for it, but there's also only been a few of them so far. I don't think I'd expect something tomorrow just because Friday seems to be the least common day for announcements during the week, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if something came Monday or Tuesday, with or without an announcement prior. Not saying it will, but after today's pretty substantial drop, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Plus, all the evidence we've had up until this point is strongly indicating a September release, most likely on the week of the 14th at the latest judging from the upcoming amiibo wave

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I wasn't even doubting the Mario Collection was real or fake. I was just sick of hearing about them, especially since Nintendo said literally nothing about them until this morning.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Also, if they're okay shadow dropping a 15 minute presentation of their longest running series that includes all of (or a good deal of) their Mario plans through the next 6 months, I absolutely think they could shadow drop a Sakurai Presents. There's no precedence for it, but there's also only been a few of them so far. I don't think I'd expect something tomorrow just because Friday seems to be the least common day for announcements during the week, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if something came Monday or Tuesday, with or without an announcement prior. Not saying it will, but after today's pretty substantial drop, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
I seriously doubt they would shadowdrop a Sakurai Presents. They tend to value the Smash reactions at least, so I think they will give a go-ahead of when FP7 is ready to be announced, which going by past precedent could be as soon as tomorrow and the video happens on Monday or Tuesday of next week

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
Maybe a missing puzzle piece in Mario RPG2 is that it won't be titled a straight Mario RPG2.

Mario & Luigi's purchase after AlphaDream's bankruptcy is just kind of hanging out there in the wind since 2019. Maybe something similar to Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2 is afoot.

Mario & Luigi: Mario RPG2
Mario RPG 2: Mario & Luigi Saga

That would also bring it in line about there being 2 development tracks for non-platform Mario games internally at Nintendo, one being more RPG focused and one being more puzzle focused (Paper Mario).

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I seriously doubt they would shadowdrop a Sakurai Presents. They tend to value the Smash reactions at least, so I think they will give a go-ahead of when FP7 is ready to be announced, which going by past precedent could be as soon as tomorrow and the video happens on Monday or Tuesday of next week
But I mean haven't they always valued their largest first party mascot too? If they normally shadow drop Mario announcements for new games prior to this summer, then I apologize for not realizing this.

I'm not saying you're wrong but almost every first party announcement this year was dropped on Twitter or a YouTube video. shrug Though in fairness the last Sakurai Presents was announced ahead of time, so I imagine they'd want to stick with that if possible.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is also why I repeatedly say "don't simp for insiders." Yeah, a lot of them are good guys but people aren't infallible and this is why when I present rumors, I typically bring up stuff that supports it being real or fake. Like I mentioned earlier, the new 3D Mario rumor I heard last fall hasn't had anything new come up for it since last October. Did the source have a good track record? Yes but that's not enough in my opinion. It's no offense to my insider friends but I've noticed that not questioning stuff from insiders is how you hit the wall the hardest because I've noticed that's a common mistake people make doing this: "oh, my guy didn't hear that or my guy doesn't agree so it's not real/true." This is also why I dub Waluigi the Cassandra of Smash speculation: everyone's heard him but virtually no one believes him.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I mean, I don't really know at this point. If this Mario direct didn't show why a direct isn't coming then I don't know what will. It honestly just seems like blind faith and optimism. I don't say this stuff lightly either as it's honestly pretty obvious a direct is not coming as we probably shouldn't even leave a door open.

Covid, Partner Showcase, More Partner Showcases and this direct honestly kills the chance of an actual direct if we are being realistic

Last edited:

Snoop_nogg

Smash Apprentice
I actually prefer these focused smaller shadow drops. Giant directs are cool, but some of the bigger announcements might overshadow some of the indie games or other smaller stuff one might be interested in.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Currently, I'm team "they're gonna just have a Sakurai Presents Fighter 7" video just kinda dropped/livestreamed. I'd love to be wrong and get the full Direct, but I really think Nintendo's trying to slice up their announcements and spread em out here and there for the remainder of the year. We got "Mario" today... I feel like Smash will be it's own announcement, especially if Fighter 7 is indeed coming sooner than later.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Currently, I'm team "they're gonna just have a Sakurai Presents Fighter 7" video just kinda dropped/livestreamed. I'd love to be wrong and get the full Direct, but I really think Nintendo's trying to slice up their announcements and spread em out here and there for the remainder of the year. We got "Mario" today... I feel like Smash will be it's own announcement, especially if Fighter 7 is indeed coming sooner than later.
This has basically been my current Biggest Fear™ - if Fighter 7 is indeed someone I've wanted (and, of course, ends up being the Geno Magic Puppet Man), it's really hard to plan for a Surprise Reaction when everything is just kinda dropped without prior warning onto a very active social media timeline where it's hard to steer clear of potential Surprise Spoilers before I even get to watch the thing.

I hope they at least just give us a Date & Time, rather than just chuck a reveal trailer onto the twittersphere, but, only time will tell, honestly.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
fatman does any of this line up with your sources? I'd guess fake but I'm guessing we'll hear about this leak for a week or so but maybe you can shoot it down or comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
The fact Fighter 77 is an "If" this year at all scares me, Brak! :(

QQS

Smash Lord
Saw the announcement at 9am here in Chile. Just read all of you people.

OMG it’s happening! I will buy this collection physical and I’m 10000% believing Geno is coming playable to Smash with the reveal in this same month. Also he will be part of that Mario themed Smash tournament.

After that, we are going to get SMRPG to the library, it’s a fact. BUT, if we also get a sequel or remake of SMRPG, would be totally insane.

Anyway just Geno playable will make me Rest In Peace :)

Best wishes to all <3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
fatman does any of this line up with your sources? I'd guess fake but I'm guessing we'll hear about this leak for a week or so but maybe you can shoot it down or comment.View attachment 284425
Literally none of it and I want to say Naz was in here the other day to present hard evidence that the next Mario Sports game is 95% not from Camelot, a giant blow to a new Mario Golf anytime soon.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
But I mean haven't they always valued their largest first party mascot too? If they normally shadow drop Mario announcements for new games prior to this summer, then I apologize for not realizing this.

I'm not saying you're wrong but almost every first party announcement this year was dropped on Twitter or a YouTube video. shrug Though in fairness the last Sakurai Presents was announced ahead of time, so I imagine they'd want to stick with that if possible.
If they are willing to shadow drop THE franchise of theirs, their literal mascot, and an anniversary milestone at that, then any franchise of Nintendo's can be shadow dropped.

The only important and critical series they will announce ahead of time for an official event is Bakugan.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Literally none of it and I want to say Naz was in here the other day to present hard evidence that the next Mario Sports game is 95% not from Camelot, a giant blow to a new Mario Golf anytime soon.
Thanks for the response Fatman, I'd have loved a new Dig Dug game so this one caught my eye

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Who here would be up for a Mario Party collection? I would. A collection with all the N64 and Gamecube Mario Party games would be a dream come true for me.
I just want online multiplayer for the main game type Mario Party, don't even care which one. I will never understand why Super Mario Party was not online capable. Half of it is turn-based, the easiest game type in the world to do online, and the other half is mini games, which they already do, it's already there. They'd probably make more money, so that's not the issue. They have the staff. There's absolutely no reason besides someone really high up said no to it for some unfathomable, selfish reason. It's the biggest waste I've ever encountered in a video game, they are already 95% there and intentionally choose not to do it. I get flabbergasted every time I even think about it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like the Mario Direct being shadowdropped made sense because there wasn't anything super earthshattering in it. I liked it but there was nothing that made me want to drop on the deck and flop like a fish. It was like the Minis before where it felt like Nintendo was deliberately pulling punches.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
fatman does any of this line up with your sources? I'd guess fake but I'm guessing we'll hear about this leak for a week or so but maybe you can shoot it down or comment.View attachment 284425
Don't even give that the time of day

This dude heard insiders chattering about Mario 3D All Stars being dropped today and threw that in with his fake leak to make it look more credible.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
On the one hand, I believe the following; Considering how tight of a lid Nintendo kept over a Byleth reveal, I have an incredibly high level of doubt that they would even let so much as the hair on a singular pixel get away from them with regards to future gaming plans and announcements. Starfox? Banjo-Kazooie collection? Smash in general? Oh, dear oh dear.

But™ . . .

On the other hand; man, we sure heard a ton of people talkin up a storm about this mario 3D collection for the past several months. what on earth is it that kept byleth under wraps, but not the main man souper marty-o. it's so weird.

game development is weird, man. who knows.

I still am willing to bet that any 4chan leak that proposes to know the details of a Direct is absolutely going to be fake, however. I think this is a pretty firm stance that most of us generally take, anyway.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

I don't know how much we wanna read into each and every thing a Gamexplain person posts ever, but like, Jon went on a Strikers post craze a bit back for... no immediately discernible reason? Maybe there's something to that Strikers thing?

Firox

Smash Master
I have to admit, that Mario Kart Live thing was pretty awesome stuff though. That's what I call a perfect application of augmented reality. I still think that augmented reality, especially with cell phones, is a vastly untapped market. Someone just needs to apply it to the right kind of game. Just look what Pokemon GO did with the most rudimentary use of it.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I don't know how much we wanna read into each and every thing a Gamexplain person posts ever, but like, Jon went on a Strikers post craze a bit back for... no immediately discernible reason? Maybe there's something to that Strikers thing?

Or he just, y'know, really likes Mario Strikers? It's pretty obvious when people are hinting at things (like last night with Andre, can't believe people were trying to argue with me it wasn't) and this ain't it man.

I feel like the Mario Direct being shadowdropped made sense because there wasn't anything super earthshattering in it. I liked it but there was nothing that made me want to drop on the deck and flop like a fish. It was like the Minis before where it felt like Nintendo was deliberately pulling punches.
The only reason it doesn't feel earthshattering is because we've been hearing about this for months. Imagine we had absolutely no info on this and we just woke up to "3D World is on Switch in February with new content and here's Mario Battle Royale, oh and we're bring Mario 64, Sunshine, AND Galaxy to switch in one collection, AND IT'S OUT IN 2 WEEKS. Those are some pretty big bombs.

Even if they are deliberately holding back (which they seemingly are for the time being) why would they be holding back Mario related announcements at this point? (sans Smash obviously) Here is the perfect time to announce everything Mario related happenning in the next few months, and it seems like they did exactly that. I don't see Nintendo popping up in the next week or two and saying "oh yea theres also a Mario Sports game coming in November lol"

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Or he just, y'know, really likes Mario Strikers? It's pretty obvious when people are hinting at things (like last night with Andre, can't believe people were trying to argue with me it wasn't) and this ain't it man.

Like I said " I don't know how much we wanna read into each and every thing a Gamexplain person posts ever,"

It was just something fatman was saying earlier and it tied in. We don't harass people for every waking thing they post in this house.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, because I'm sure someone will get offended by it, when I say "don't simp for insiders", I mean don't believe things just because a particular person says it. For example, one of my confidants is a great guy because he sometimes hard slaps me back to reality when my theories get really out there but one thing that makes me want to tear my hair out is how I'll explain something with the depth of a thesis and then he'll be like "okay but Nate Drake hasn't backed this yet so I don't believe it." Question them. Question me. You can be skeptical and not be a **** about it. I'll totally admit there's a learning curve but one thing I've tried to encourage these past two years is people piecing together information on their own so they don't have to rely on blue check marks for info. "I wonder if this is true?" Well, ****, go out and look for answers yourself Copernicus because anyone with an internet connection is technically capable of doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom