• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
So some rumors finally panned out as expected! That's exciting! No Smash reveals so that's a bit perplexing to me if the next character is a Mario character they'd have to have the reveal pretty soon.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
My takeaway from the last day or so:
  • The Smash spirit event / tourney / lack of any ingame update is very strange still. Either they're changing these events to occur biweekly instead of weekly, or something will be announced before the next one Tuesday / Wednesday. I'm not sure which I expect, but optimistically a Sakurai presents, either the announcement or the release, tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday seems very possible.
  • I liked the Mario Direct. I haven't played Galaxy, so that's cool. I assume Galaxy 2 will come sometime later.
  • I haven't played 3D World so I'm excited for that.
  • The modern makeover on 1-3 and LW seems clean.
  • The Home Mario Kart is weird since it's a cool idea but I assume very few people have a house space that this is feasible. It's be pretty funny to set up a work / office circuit though. I both hate and love the idea and won't be getting it.
I still think there's a good chance for FP7 to be announced in the next few days. I think there's a good chance it's Geno but a good chance it's not too.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Nintendo's marketing team continues to baffle me.
  • March Indie World : Announced a day ahead of time
  • March Mini Direct : Shadowdropped with no buildup
  • Paper Mario : Randomly dropped on Twitter
  • Min Min Presentation : Announced ahead of time
  • Random Nintendo Treehouse Presentation : Announced only a day before and randomly hypes up a game that turns out to be Bakugan
  • July Partner Showcase: Announced at Midnight 10 hours beforehand.
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe : Randomly Dropped on Twitter
  • August Indie World : Announced a day ahead of time
  • August Partner Showcase : Shadowdrop with no buildup (even though they didn't shadowdrop the first Partner Showcase?)
  • Mario 35th Direct : Shadowdropped with no buildup
How hard is it for Nintendo to just announce things a day ahead of time consistently? I don't get it, this has literally never been an issue before. I get it when it's just one game but an entire direct? I refuse to believe things are so messed up at Nintendo right now that they can't give a one day notice on a direct like this.

My takeaway from the last day or so:
  • The Smash spirit event / tourney / lack of any ingame update is very strange still. Either they're changing these events to occur biweekly instead of weekly, or something will be announced before the next one Tuesday / Wednesday. I'm not sure which I expect, but optimistically a Sakurai presents, either the announcement or the release, tomorrow, Monday, or Tuesday seems very possible.
  • I liked the Mario Direct. I haven't played Galaxy, so that's cool. I assume Galaxy 2 will come sometime later.
  • I haven't played 3D World so I'm excited for that.
  • The modern makeover on 1-3 and LW seems clean.
  • The Home Mario Kart is weird since it's a cool idea but I assume very few people have a house space that this is feasible. It's be pretty funny to set up a work / office circuit though. I both hate and love the idea and won't be getting it.
I still think there's a good chance for FP7 to be announced in the next few days. I think there's a good chance it's Geno but a good chance it's not too.
You do know Mario Allstars has been a thing since 1993, right?

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I love what I see, in terms of the inbound content.

I hate what I see, in terms of this limited time offer stuff plaguing some of these announcements.

A positive, albeit mixed, bag, imo. My biggest takeaways that I look forward to most are 3D World + (me and the wifey can co-op and stream our experience, which will be a BLAST and a half), and the 3D collection, AKA, the fact that I don't have to worry that my GCN Sunshine disc will inevitably stop working, because I now have a new way to keep playing a game that I love. Ho ho.

Now, if only other classic gamecube games got some kind of sustained existence beyond the confines of a dated yet charming game console so that other people can experience these games for the first time without scrounging around for emulation on the internet. Ahrm hrm.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm definitely picking up Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury and Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Kinda sucky that the latter is only available limited time but that's not gonna be a problem for me so shrugs.

Super Mario All-Stars now being on SNES online is neat and Super Mario Bros. 35 also looks fun. Can't say I'm stoked for the other stuff though.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Bowser’s castle with Exor would be iconic, but Forest Maze Bowyer fight with A/B/LR button-locking stage hazard is just too cool and interesting to pass up. To me there’s already plenty of castle stages in SSBU. The only really unique stage environment would be Star Hill, but it’s the shortest part of SMRPG, it doesn’t even have a boss fight, and it’s pretty disconnected from all other story elements in the game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If we do get a stage, it's possible it could alternate between Forest Maze and Bowser's Castle, maybe even Star Road. It's hard to pick between them

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I noticed people tagging me about the 4 missing supposed Mario announcements for 2020 and I feel like I can only really go into 2.

-No surprise, one is Geno. I don't think he'll be in a separate Sakurai Presents presentation for certain reasons and leave it at that.

-The other is one I believe Kelios(?) made public in July. The trademark for Mario Sports got renewed very openly. Based on things on my end and stuff I've heard floating around, this is most likely either a Strikers revival or some totally new Mario sports game (Mario Nude Beach Volleyball? I dunno.) Again, supposedly 2020 but who knows at this point.

As I mentioned last November, one really big rumor I heard last year was a 3D Mario meant for E3 that had nothing to do with past Marios. Hell of a rumor but I've heard literally nothing else about it since probably last October and with everything being so ****ed up, there's no way in hell that (if it exists) that it didn't get hardcore delayed and I could honestly see it being an E3 2021 thing if it's actually real. Either way, only by some small miracle would we learn anything about it this year if it wasn't total bull****.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Do you think a General Direct is possible for this month? I could see it.
Nope. Why the hell would they dump ALL of this stuff here if they were doing a general in a few weeks? Or, better yet, why not just have the general right now and combine it with this? September directs have been consistent since 2016 but it feels like this is it for now. This is the same Nintendo that let half of their 2018 E3 Showcase be nothing but a Smash Direct, I think Nintendo wouldn't have any issue making Mario the core focus of a portion of a general direct if there was one this month. Not to mention the fact we know we are getting more Partner Showcases in the future. Just anticipate a Sakurai Presentation and another Partner Showcase at this rate.

I noticed people tagging me about the 4 missing supposed Mario announcements for 2020 and I feel like I can only really go into 2.

-No surprise, one is Geno. I don't think he'll be in a separate Sakurai Presents presentation for certain reasons and leave it at that.

-The other is one I believe Kelios(?) made public in July. The trademark for Mario Sports got renewed very openly. Based on things on my end and stuff I've heard floating around, this is most likely either a Strikers revival or some totally new Mario sports game (Mario Nude Beach Volleyball? I dunno.) Again, supposedly 2020 but who knows at this point.

As I mentioned last November, one really big rumor I heard last year was a 3D Mario meant for E3 that had nothing to do with past Marios. Hell of a rumor but I've heard literally nothing else about it since probably last October and with everything being so ed up, there's no way in hell that (if it exists) that it didn't get hardcore delayed and I could honestly see it being an E3 2021 thing if it's actually real. Either way, only by some small miracle would we learn anything about it this year if it wasn't total bull.
So specifically related to Core-Mario stuff and not anything like Wario/DK? Interesting I guess, any chance you go any deeper in DM's or is this a lips sealed kind of deal?

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Realistically no. They just had the partner showcase a little over a week ago, we are getting more of them and we literally just had the Mario presentation. The thing people don't seem to realise is that this stuff would have been included in an actual direct. It's pretty safe to say we aren't getting one at this rate

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking back (yet again) on the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Mario themed tournament announcement during today's Direct reminded me of something. Remember when back in the March Mini Direct they announced that the 6th DLC fighter would be from ARMS? No specific name, just the franchise. When they announced the Mario-themed Smash tournament (which date is still TBA), it almost felt like if they were saying "the next dlc fighter will be a character from the Mario series!".

Another oddity within the 35th Anniversary Direct was that they showed all the Mario games that can be played on the Nintendo Switch, for some unknown reason I felt surprised seeing them acknowledge Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Yes it is a Mario game, and it's been out for a while. However, what sets this particular Mario game apart from the rest is that this is a game that was developed by a third party Company (Ubisoft), with them getting the license to use the Mario IP, AND it's a strategy/RPG game.

These two points in particular during the Anniversary Direct sort of drove the chances for Geno's inclusion all the way Home (imo). I'm just speculating here though.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Now that the dust has settled a little bit, I think it's time we take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Specifically, the Mario-focused Smash event. As far as I'm aware, they've never announced events like this where it's announced a month ahead of time. Considering it's being held from November to December, and events like this have only lasted a few days at most, that also makes things suspicious. Another thing to point out is in September of last year we already had a Mario-themed event, with characters, items, and stages from the series being the focus.

With all of this in mind, another Mario character may be coming to Smash before then, probably revealed and released in a Mr. Sakurai Presents video. It'd make sense given this event is Mario themed and since Hero they've always had events based on the character after they're released. Something else to consider is that with each passing day, the closer the December 2021 deadline comes. It's a matter of how long Nintendo can hold the proverbial bladder until more Smash news is announced.

But who knows, I could be wrong and this could just be a standard tourney event they spontaneously decided should be announced ahead of time since they needed to pad the direct.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
I think it definitely makes sense to want to separate Mario 35th Anniversary stuff, as well as not wanting the Direct to be too long and with too much in it.
Furthermore: If there is a Pro launching March/April and big good games around that time when else are they going to announce those H1 games? They wouldn't wait until January for something like Metroid V, BotW2 etc. Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing and other 2019 titles were announced in September 2018 and those were H2 titles (one even delayed).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Now that the dust has settled a little bit, I think it's time we take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Specifically, the Mario-focused Smash event. As far as I'm aware, they've never announced events like this where it's announced a month ahead of time. Considering it's being held from November to December, and events like this have only lasted a few days at most, that also makes things suspicious. Another thing to point out is in September of last year we already had a Mario-themed event, with characters, items, and stages from the series being the focus.

With all of this in mind, another Mario character may be coming to Smash before then, probably revealed and released in a Mr. Sakurai Presents video. It'd make sense given this event is Mario themed and since Hero they've always had events based on the character after they're released. Something else to consider is that with each passing day, the closer the December 2021 deadline comes. It's a matter of how long Nintendo can hold the proverbial bladder until more Smash news is announced.

But who knows, I could be wrong and this could just be a standard tourney event they spontaneously decided should be announced ahead of time since they needed to pad the direct.
To be fair, iirc the same goes for Splatfests (which is scheduled for whopping January) and I don’t think Geno’s gonna be in Splatoon.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
mario 3d is this September, pikmin 3 is October, and mario 3d world is February, the only upcoming months they could have a game in are november, December(unlikely), and January(due to missing Christmas sales tends to be a smaller game) outside of that these are all the first party games we will see for 5 months, unless they plan to announce their stuff for next year i wouldn't expect anything outside of smash

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Nintendo's marketing team continues to baffle me.
  • March Indie World : Announced a day ahead of time
  • March Mini Direct : Shadowdropped with no buildup
  • Paper Mario : Randomly dropped on Twitter
  • Min Min Presentation : Announced ahead of time
  • Random Nintendo Treehouse Presentation : Announced only a day before and randomly hypes up a game that turns out to be Bakugan
  • July Partner Showcase: Announced at Midnight 10 hours beforehand.
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe : Randomly Dropped on Twitter
  • August Indie World : Announced a day ahead of time
  • August Partner Showcase : Shadowdrop with no buildup (even though they didn't shadowdrop the first Partner Showcase?)
  • Mario 35th Direct : Shadowdropped with no buildup
How hard is it for Nintendo to just announce things a day ahead of time consistently? I don't get it, this has literally never been an issue before. I get it when it's just one game but an entire direct? I refuse to believe things are so messed up at Nintendo right now that they can't give a one day notice on a direct like this.

You do know Mario Allstars has been a thing since 1993, right?
I had Super Mario All Stars on the SNES, I guess I thought it was another makeover to the games, but it's the rerelease of that one, isn't it? Either way, glad it's coming to SNES Online, I imagine a lot of people might not have been around then to play it. Still a good release.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Why wouldn't he do a presentation thing where he explains the history of Mario RPG games and shows off Geno's moves and stage? They've been doing it for every DLC character, and people who aren't excited about a DLC character sometimes change their minds after seeing them in action, like a "I wasn't excited about it but he actually looks pretty cool."

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Why wouldn't he do a presentation thing where he explains the history of Mario RPG games and shows off Geno's moves and stage? They've been doing it for every DLC character, and people who aren't excited about a DLC character sometimes change their minds after seeing them in action, like a "I wasn't excited about it but he actually looks pretty cool."
I think he meant "revealed" which even then is interesting.

Or I could be wrong.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Geno wouldn't make sense to reveal in a "Super Mario" direct anyway. That presentation was pretty much all about the platformers plus the one Mario Kart toy, and Geno has only been in one game 20+ years ago. I can't explain it but it would feel... off? I bet it'll just be a Sakurai Presents thing.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Only reason I can think of is that he’s tied to a specific reveal of some kind

EDIT: Like either Super Mario RPG is coming to Switch and they want to do a double trailer like they did for Rosalina and her Mario Kart 8 reveal after her Smash one. Oooooor he’s part of a double trailer with another Smash reveal, but I doubt Fatman’s sources know that

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Geno wouldn't make sense to reveal in a "Super Mario" direct anyway. That presentation was pretty much all about the platformers plus the one Mario Kart toy, and Geno has only been in one game 20+ years ago. I can't explain it but it would feel... off? I bet it'll just be a Sakurai Presents thing.
I agree with this and it's a pretty good explanation as to why they wouldn't do it here. They didn't even have all the main Mario PLATFORMERS in the presentation for christ sake. Nintendo considers the RPG's to be almost a seperate entity at this point, especially for the one Mario game I can think of they don't entirely own (any other examples aside from stuff like potentially the CDi and PC games?)

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hey ya'll, its been a while! I hope everything is fine and good around here. Almost a month ago, I announced that I would be taking a small break from this thread, and Smash speculation in general. With the Super Mario 35th Anniversary Direct, however, I decided that now would be the perfect time to return here and talk to you all once more. I am so incredibly happy and excited that we now have official confirmation of the 3D Mario collection, which was the biggest "non-Smash" announcement I was hoping for. I hope you all are excited as I am, and would love to hear what game ya'll are starting with. I'm going to be starting with Super Mario 64 since its my absolute favorite mainline Mario game, and I have to go in chronological order lol. Now as of this point, the only thing I am hoping for at this point is Geno being confirmed for Smash, and if that happens, then Nintendo's dry 2020 will be completely worth it after that, so I will still continue to hold out hope!

Also, do you all remember that Super Mario 35th Twitter account we were speculating on so long ago? IT WAS REAL THE WHOLE TIME.

20200903_145203.png

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this and it's a pretty good explanation as to why they wouldn't do it here. They didn't even have all the main Mario PLATFORMERS in the presentation for christ sake. Nintendo considers the RPG's to be almost a seperate entity at this point, especially for the one Mario game I can think of they don't entirely own (any other examples aside from stuff like potentially the CDi and PC games?)
Totally. It's pretty clear that all of the RPG series are divorced from the platformers for a multitude of reasons.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I meant as in revealed in a Sakurai Presents. Out of all the new characters since 2013, only ONE has been fully revealed in a Sakurai Presents presentation and that was Byleth. Everybody else was either at E3, a General Direct, a Smash Direct, or a big event like Joker at the 2018 VGAs. That's yet another reason why I believe a Direct is happening this month, especially now that Geno wasn't in the Mario presentation.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I feel like there's a very real chance we won't get Smash until at least mid-October at the rate we're going. My initial thought was that Smash HAD to be this month because Nintendo had nothing releasing in September; but the Mario Collection actually coming out this month blew that line of thinking out of the water.

However, we're in a very good position now. Mario 35 proves without a shadow of a doubt that the Legacy XP takedown wasn't something to just write-off

Mario Battle Royale Takedown: Mario 35
Metroid 2 Fan Remake Takedown: Samus Returns 3DS
Megalovania Music Takedown: Sans Mii Fighter
Legacy XP Takedown and Forest Mushrooms Music Takedown: ????

At this point, it's only a matter of time

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel like there's a very real chance we won't get Smash until at least mid-October at the rate we're going. My initial thought was that Smash HAD to be this month because Nintendo had nothing releasing in September; but the Mario Collection actually coming out this month blew that line of thinking out of the water.

However, we're in a very good position now. Mario 35 proves without a shadow of a doubt that the Legacy XP takedown wasn't something to just write-off

Mario Battle Royale Takedown: Mario 35
Metroid 2 Fan Remake Takedown: Samus Returns 3DS
Megalovania Music Takedown: Sans Mii Fighter
Legacy XP Takedown and Forest Mushrooms Music Takedown: ????

At this point, it's only a matter of time
The fact is that we've got amiibos releasing towards the end of the month, and it's very much likely that FP7 is ready to be released since there's been a near 3 month gap between Min Min's release and now. That, and the fact we're getting both of Cloud's amiibos and the DQ Hero amiibo this month also seems to indicate something Square related is coming soon

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I meant as in revealed in a Sakurai Presents. Out of all the new characters since 2013, only ONE has been fully revealed in a Sakurai Presents presentation and that was Byleth. Everybody else was either at E3, a General Direct, a Smash Direct, or a big event like Joker at the 2018 VGAs. That's yet another reason why I believe a Direct is happening this month, especially now that Geno wasn't in the Mario presentation.
But think about it this way, we established the character is likely out in September/Early October months ago and that still seems pretty rock solid. At this point, why would they even bother revealing them in a separate presentation just to hold a Sakurai presents only a week or two later? I guess they could reveal them in a direct and then immediately hold a Sakurai presents after like Banjo, but that seems to imply that you think the Geno reveal has to correlate with something else. We already had the SNES Online update this month today with Allstars, so we likely aren't getting anymore games added until November, so SMRPG is off the table for now and you still seem to think that has to come to Switch before anything else to do with it.

Last edited:

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
overly eager prediction: You're implying Geno would be revealed in a direct because you know he's coming with SMRPG2 as this rando has said and it would make sense for them to be revealed together and not in a Sakurai presents, which explains your confidence in Geno recently and during that brief stretch of time pre-First Partner Direct when we all thought It Was Happening.

realistic questioning: you're very confident in Geno's chances in relation to what's been going on recently, but I recall only one of your sources seemed to think Geno was likely at all. Can you explain this disparity? Have any of these people changed their minds?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Well, that happened. Here's where I'm at right now:
-= Pros =-
  • A ton of Mario games are now available on Switch, allowing a whole new generation of kids to get frustrated over Sunshine's **** side missions.
  • Super Mario 3D World has online multiplayer, meaning we all now have a reason to actually play Super Mario 3D World with friends.
  • Super Mario 3D World has new content with "Bowser's Fury", whose packaging blurb has no doubt become the next "All New Funky Mode".
  • We now have Super Mario Bros. Battle Royale, so I guess we know why Nintendo took down that fangame.
  • IRL Super Mario Kart, which looks cute as ****.
  • Donkey Kong Jr. resurfaces as himself for the first time after years of disuse.
  • Super Mario All-Stars is now on NSO, where they belong.
  • Bunches of new merchandise, some of which actually looks like the kind of stuff I might wear outside for a single day before burning it all in shame.

-= Cons =-
  • SM3DAS is just upscaled versions of the original games. Not that they needed the update, of course, but it would've been nice if SM64 at least got Odyssey-tier graphics.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2 is now confirmed to be the red-headed stepchild of the 3D Mario games, with even references to it having been scrubbed from the history books. Now it could be included later down the line as DLC, sort of like how the re-released SMAS with SMW bundled in, but either way the situation is ****ed.
  • From the direct footage, it appears that they've redone the sound effects. So long "So long, gay Bowser!".
  • No Shoshinkai '95 demo as a bonus, not that I was expecting it, but it would've been really ****in' sick.
  • Super Mario RPG still isn't on NSO.
  • Nothing in this direct has convinced me to buy these remasters or games.

Overall, it was about what I expected.

Just gonna drop this off here and take my leave.

View attachment 284351
GenoBigThunk.png

Apparently Mario 64 in the new game won't include "So long, Gay Bowser!" which is awful.
Nintendo confirmed enemies of The Big Gay. :ultmario::ultinkling::ultpacman::ultluigi::ultsonic::ultridley:

Just want to point out since I doubt anyone has mentioned it at all: Mario looking at Mario in Andre's tweet was from Mario Kart Home Circuit.

View attachment 284382

Don't ever let these mother*ers at Gamexplain convince you they don't know * ahead of time. Ever.
Are you serious? Man, **** these smug ***** and their teasing bull****.

So, if Geno gets revealed, soon, what are you all going to do after? Stay on this thread or this forum, or leave either? What will you do?
Well my first order of business is to upload my reaction to YouTube, followed by plenty of posting on this here Smashboards. Next would be to start production on my "BestGuyEver" Geno video. After that, I'll mostly just hang around here until discussion dies down, then move on to another character thread. Once the DLC is finally over I'll most likely leave this website until the next game gets announced.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, why else would they announce a Super Mario 35th Anniversary tournament for November when the anniversary is in September? It doesn't make much sense. Also, if this character gets revealed/released in September, it would mean that the tournament would be able to use the latest patch. I recall that Hero was barred from official tournaments held around a month out from his release because players wouldn't have had enough time to get used to his playstyle, which would've been considered unfair.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I'm dreading fighting the scalpers on the physical release...

Dear god
Don't tempt me ,bro.
View attachment 284345

Everything is going as expected. First the Mario presentation and then... The Dunk of the Decade ™. Hang tight comrades and reset the clock. I get the feeling we really are in the final 7 days this time.
Geno fans at Geno likely being next:

GameFAQs and /v/ at Geno likely being next:

... it could also be ode to joybfor the geno fans, but i guess NGE fans got that song for them only.

I wouldn't bet on next week for the smash presentation. Maybe 2 weeks.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
  • From the direct footage, it appears that they've redone the sound effects. So long "So long, gay Bowser!"
its not a redone line, its from the japanese version. see the video at around 5:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom