• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean my opinion on Byleth, Joker, Corrin, Bayonetta, or any other character I don't like isn't going to change that easily. Incineroar is one of the few exceptions where I didn't like him when he was revealed but now I do after trying him out. This didn't happen with other charcacters, including the ones I mentioned.

Yes, I deal with it since these characters are already in but that doesn't mean my reasons for disliking them have disappeared.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't like Byleth. Never have and never will. I simply enjoy reminding myself and others around me of the faults I find with things I am overly passionate about, such as the roster of characters in any given game. The bigger our passion is for something, the bigger it will hit us in a good or bad way.

Personally, I enjoy seeing when games please/displease us, just so I know what to expect from the future. It helps me to be more cautious about my very particular gaming tastes when developers make very good or very bad decisions.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
If every time you go to an unrelated thread people moaned about how bad the reveal was?
Hey look, it’s my life as a Pokémon fan in 2020! :4pacman:

1458DBD8-8CBC-416A-9081-98D39B087003.jpeg

I understand the game has many many issues, in fact some of them bother me just as much as they bother others. Doesn’t mean I wanna be reminded of it all the time, even in threads having nothing to do with Pokémon.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think still being angry about it 8 months later is pretty ridiculous and unhealthy. No one has to like Byleth, but I think the time to have everyone constantly complaining about him in every thread has long since passed.

You don't have to change your opinion on them, but you also don't have to constantly **** on him. There's a difference.

Let me ask you all a question. If the situation was reversed, and Geno got in back then, but the rest of the fanbase hates him, how would you feel about it? If every time you go to an unrelated thread people moaned about how bad the reveal was and how much they hate Geno and how Nintendo is so tone deaf for adding him? If people on the thread of your new most wanted blamed Geno fans for the hate against the character? This is literally not acceptable for any other character on the roster. Can you imagine this happening in LITERALLY every thread for anyone else? Even Piranha Plant has people sticking up for it, and if the bashing keeps going on everyone gets sick of it. But the community thinks nothing of ****ting on Byleth all the time. Try having empathy and understanding how grating it would be to still have this going on 8 MONTHS LATER for a character you like. It's been beaten so far beyond death. Honestly I'm super sick of it.
But the situation isn't reversed, and people will be hype for Geno. I think my favorite inside joke is 'People were hype for Byleth, guys!' because it's just a flat out lie and when people try to push that narrative it amuses me.

People do this all the time to justify feeling bad for other people, and while the goal usually seems to be some sort of mutual understanding it's used way too much now just to make someone feel like a jerk. 'Imagine if you were in their shoes' is a quick way to guilt trip some people, and sometimes that lesson needs to be learned, but real life isn't a Hallmark movie. Truth is, Byleth and Three Houses fans may love the character and be happy they made it to Smash, but the majority of them never requested such a thing and it felt off to them too when CP5 was so hyped up only to be Byleth.

Nobody asked for this character, just like nobody asked for an ARMS rep. Unfortunately, Byleth isn't Min Min, and came at a time when FE in Smash hate was at an all-time high due to Corrin. This is just how it's going to be until you give it time to die out and Smash fans hate on things very strongly. People still **** all over Corrin and that was over four years and a whole game ago!

As someone who just loves new content, I also very much hate this, but you can't change people's minds that easily and frankly no one here is ****ting on Byleth truly, merely using them as the example they are, which is how NOT to do something. Go take that to a thread in which people are slandering Byleth as the worst thing ever in video games instead of a place that aptly uses it for what it was: a very poor character choice that was forced by Nintendo because businesses like their money.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
But the situation isn't reversed, and people will be hype for Geno. I think my favorite inside joke is 'People were hype for Byleth, guys!' because it's just a flat out lie and when people try to push that narrative it amuses me.

People do this all the time to justify feeling bad for other people, and while the goal usually seems to be some sort of mutual understanding it's used way too much now just to make someone feel like a jerk. 'Imagine if you were in their shoes' is a quick way to guilt trip some people, and sometimes that lesson needs to be learned, but real life isn't a Hallmark movie. Truth is, Byleth and Three Houses fans may love the character and be happy they made it to Smash, but the majority of them never requested such a thing and it felt off to them too when CP5 was so hyped up only to be Byleth.

Nobody asked for this character, just like nobody asked for an ARMS rep. Unfortunately, Byleth isn't Min Min, and came at a time when FE in Smash hate was at an all-time high due to Corrin. This is just how it's going to be until you give it time to die out and Smash fans hate on things very strongly. People still **** all over Corrin and that was over four years and a whole game ago!

As someone who just loves new content, I also very much hate this, but you can't change people's minds that easily and frankly no one here is ****ting on Byleth truly, merely using them as the example they are, which is how NOT to do something. Go take that to a thread in which people are slandering Byleth as the worst thing ever in video games instead of a place that aptly uses it for what it was: a very poor character choice that was forced by Nintendo because businesses like their money.
Good job writing four paragraphs proving their point.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

You're totally right, what was I thinking asking people to think of things from the perspective of others? Empathy is overrated and everyone should say and do whatever they want without considering how other people feel.

Last edited:

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
You're totally right, what was I thinking asking people to think of things from the perspective of others? Empathy is overrated and everyone should say and do whatever they want without considering how other people feel.
I'm sorry you have to see the some of the toxicity of on this thread, Sigan101. I understand how you feel, and tell you this...I actually like both Byleth and Corrin. When I first saw Corrin back in 2015, I thought he was one of the unique FE reps, cause of his dragon abilities, and flaming chainsaw sword. And for Byleth, I did get upset when he was the 5th DLC character, but when I saw he can use three different weapons, my upset for him was gone instead, and got excited to play has him, and he's one of the characters I play for fun!

D

Deleted member

Nice. This turned into the Byleth thread.

On topic of the character this thread is actually about, just a friendly reminder that if/when Geno gets into Smash, he'll have an amiibo just like every other Smash character, and that's an opportunity to grab a piece of Geno merch that isn't $50 or more.

MattX20

Smash Hero
On topic of the character this thread is actually about, just a friendly reminder that if/when Geno gets into Smash, he'll have an amiibo just like every other Smash character, and that's an opportunity to grab a piece of Geno merch that isn't $50 or more.
Not to mention more Geno merch in general, which I'm in favor of. I just hope the Geno amiibo isn't going to be scalped to hell and back, I know that unfortunately there will be when Banjo's amiibo comes out

MattX20

Smash Hero
Look I didn’t like Byleth’s reveal but I also don’t enjoy ruining other people’s fun so I kept it to myself. I wish more people would do that.

Anyway who’s ready to equip Geno with the Geno Spirit?
I imagine Min Min players did the same with the Min Min spirit

D

Deleted member

Ah, okay. Say, have we discussed Geno's aerials? If not, what kind of aerial attacks would he have? Any spiking attacks?
All I have is that his back air would be similar to Mii Gunner's back air, and that down air would be similar to Mega Man's hard knuckle. I don't think we discussed throws too much either, as I think his back throw would be like Mario's, Wario's and Banjo's, and his forward throw would be him shooting a fist into the opponents gut.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So I know not everyone believes the're legit, and I certainly don't believe in this myself, but what do you guys think of this?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Supposing this is a legit Smash tease, who do you think it could be hinting at?

I'm tempted to think that it may have something to do with Geno. The character in the image could be a roundabout way of describing him, as a living creature inhabiting an inanimate shell. U.S. ACRES could be a reference to his popularity being overwhelmingly based in the U.S., and perhaps GARFIELD & FRIENDS could be a reference to Mario's team in SMRPG? WADE THE DUCK might be a reference to Mallow, since both he and Sheldon are from the same series. Likewise, Mallow is from the same game as Geno. Also, both are white and fluffy, and both of them wear something puffy as "pants".

I dunno, maybe worth looking into? papagenos papagenos

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So I know not everyone believes the're legit, and I certainly don't believe in this myself, but what do you guys think of this?

I'm tempted to think that it may have something to do with Geno. The character in the image could be a roundabout way of describing him, as a living creature inhabiting an inanimate shell. U.S. ACRES could be a reference to his popularity being overwhelmingly based in the U.S., and perhaps GARFIELD & FRIENDS could be a reference to Mario's team in SMRPG? WADE THE DUCK might be a reference to Mallow, since both he and Sheldon are from the same series. Likewise, Mallow is from the same game as Geno. Also, both are white and fluffy, and both of them wear something puffy as "pants".

That is the definition of a **** post. I think they're just trying to be funny.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

No way, I can’t believe Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory is finally gonna be added to Smash Ultimate!!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

U.S. Acres? That comic strip hasn't had anything new made for it in decades!

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Well given Geno can be revealed as early as next week, I’ll go ahead and say my congratulations and farewells now, before this thread blows up and the site crashes. I’ll be around still for a little while even after the reveal to revel and celebrate.

It’s been fun! I’ve been rooting for Geno since Melee and been on and off this site for years now. I’ve felt certain about Geno since he was referred to in that mobile game, which was years ago. It’s going to be fun seeing what he plays like, the stage, the music, and everything else. The decades long journey will be over, and a new journey for him to be in new games will begin.

There’s too many people who have frequented this thread and supported him over the years to shout out, but it’s been a pleasure! Let’s jump into a new beginning.

D

Deleted member

SHELDON COOPER'S COMING TO SMASH!!!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is kind of what I pictured immediately - double rocket arm punch!!

View attachment 283148
Now that would be sweet!

It's not like she was a credible "so called " leaker before, but she really isn't even trying anymore, is she?

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, did I miss anything important here?
Just speculating whether a Direct is finally coming next week or not and if Geno will finally shine then. Other then that? DC FanDome is happening and there's a lot of cool stuff there.

Nicnac

Smash Ace

tangible proof we're in an info drought

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Egg thing is probably a joke, in fact I'm sure of it. But to entertain the joke.... uh... Eggman? Or if you wanna be really cool, Dizzy the Egg?

Geno shooting his fist would very much fit into his Smash attacks. I can imagine a Down Smash where he points both fists in either direction and shoots em both off and like, either regrows new ones or brings his fists back like Thor brings back his Mjolnir

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just speculating whether a Direct is finally coming next week or not and if Geno will finally shine then. Other then that? DC FanDome is happening and there's a lot of cool stuff there.
That FanDome is going to be very awkward considering all the layoffs

Reactions: TTF

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
People like to imagine Geno has like a Batman voice (heyyyyyy thematically appropriate given DCFandome)

But like.... I really like to imagine a reality in which Geno actually has like a Gilbert Gottfried voice or a Peter Griffin voice, or like Moe from the Three Stooges or Andy Merrill's Brak voice... some voice that makes everyone go "THAT'S what he sounds like?"

And then I imagine his "Star Road Exposition" in that voice and hahahaha I have too much funsies

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I honestly can't think of any decent arials for Geno. When I try I just end up with a mix of Mega man and Mii gunner.
I imagine there's lots of possibilities but here's some ideas:
Neutral:
-I've seen sets that suggest an attack using Geno's cape as he spins it hits in a circle around him
-Could also see Geno firing a beam, pellets, or stars while spinning in the air also with a circular hitbox
-Could be a quick two part attack like Samus' neutral air except using projectiles so hitting once in front and once behind him
-Could be a simple tuck and roll in the air again with a circular hitbox
-Geno whirl that spins in a circle around self instead of flying straight

Forward:
-Rocket punch in front of himself maybe even two simultaneous or one after the other (or one after the other with a timed hit)
-Similar to Ness' fair but just shooting stars or pellets
-Cape swipe in front of self
-Explosion from elbow in front of self (kind of like Zelda's uair but in a different direction

Back:
-Cape swipe behind self
Shoot a Geno beam behind himself at a diagonal downwards angle
-Elbow explosion behind self

Up:
-Hold up a star piece that deals damage
-Shoot stars/pellets above self arcing hitbox above self, could also back and forth like Zelda's up smash
-Elbow explosion above self
-3 stars from when Geno charges Geno beam appear over Geno's head 1,2,3 attack with bigger hitbox each time
-Reach into hat and throw and item up; item could be random with different properties and damage depending on item
-Rocket fist(s) straight up or one in each diagonal direction above self or something like that

Down:
-Shoot a big star or stick out a star piece below self
-Elbow explosion straight down
-Geno beam straight down
-Turn into cannon and shoot straight down great for damage and KOs but can cause you to self destruct if not careful
-Shoot pellets/stars in an arch below self
-Rocket fist(s) below self

Notice that pretty much all of these are interchangeable to some degree so you could really play around with them and I didn't include some of the interchangeable options simply because it was redundant. If they can make Terry's aerials different with just punches and kicks I don't think they'll have an issue making Geno's different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom