• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Seeing as how I can´t reply to that other sidethread in this thread without probably bringing the Banhammer Bros. I´m going to continue to some more inmediate matters.
So, insiders are now backing the !"#!" up. Are we gonna get yet another Partner Direct. It doesn´t make sense with the indie to direct patterns but this year has been !#"!"
Wish they had a little more backbones. What are Geno´s taunts gonna be like?
A little star? Mallow popping up?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Seeing as how I can´t reply to that other sidethread in this thread without probably bringing the Banhammer Bros. I´m going to continue to some more inmediate matters.
So, insiders are now backing the !"#!" up. Are we gonna get yet another Partner Direct. It doesn´t make sense with the indie to direct patterns but this year has been !#"!"
So far, only Grub has done so, and even then, they've been doing this wishy washy behavior for a while now

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So far, only Grub has done so, and even then, they've been doing this wishy washy behavior for a while now
I don't think they have done anything wishy washy so I assume that's just your optimism unless I'm missing something. This is definitely a hit against a direct unless Grubb tells us the context of it but it is still looking more likely due to Zell and Nate Drake saying so.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Hopefully it will be a general Direct.

I just hope that if it does end up being a kind of BS partner showcase that people don't go after the leakers again. Kelios really did get the short end of the stick last month and it is pretty petty and uncalled for. I get no one here did it but I'm talking in general

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I'd personally be interested in seeing some of these 4chan Eggman plans, fake and foiled as they may be (I mean really, do any of Eggman's plans ACTUALLY succeed?)

If he DOES come with a bonus echo fighter, then... hopefully Metal Sonic as a "floatier version of Sonic"... kinda like Dark Samus is to Samus, ya know? And MAYBE Eggman Pack or whatever SOMEHOW... look, I want "What I'm Made Of" REALLY BADLY. PLEASE... ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Plus, METAL being an echo could bring of COURSE, require the whole "YOU MIGHT KNOW EVERYTHING I'M GOING TO DO, BUT THAT'S NOT GOING TO HELP YOU BECAUSE I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU'RE GOING TO DO! STRRRRRRRRANGE ISN'T IT?" thing to be reborn into SMASH memes

Here are 3 I screencapped. Personally I don't believe a single one, but I started screenshotting any leaks I came across for whatever reason, maybe they're real, maybe it gets added to a compilation of fake leaks... I don't know. People like to have records of the stuff I suppose. For what it's worth, if you are curious, Crash, Geno and Rayman are popular "leaks" right now too. But I've also seen Sora, Lloyd, Prince of Persia, Scout, Gordon Freeman, Angry Birds and Shantae show up in the past week. So.... Yeah.

Screenshot_20200821-183222~2.png
Screenshot_20200821-183239~2.png
Screenshot_20200821-233959~2.png

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I just hope that if it does end up being a kind of BS partner showcase that people don't go after the leakers again. Kelios really did get the short end of the stick last month and it is pretty petty and uncalled for. I get no one here did it but I'm talking in general
THANK YOU! I brought that up yesterday and people seemed to think I was gunnin for em. I weren't. I, like you, was just talking in general.

Or maybe Metal Sonic? He would feel very fitting coming with Eggman.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS JOIN THE CLUB! Sonic's 30th Anniversary celebrations COULD involve another Sonic character in Smash (which, let's be honest: Sonic's 30th is ALSO Eggman's 30th)

Here's where this maybe kinda sorta not really ties to Geno: Metal Sonic was ALSO part of the Legacy XP thing. He's just as much part of that conversation as Geno, even if people consider it "unlikely".

Oh, I've seen all them already :(

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Here are 3 I screencapped. Personally I don't believe a single one, but I started screenshotting any leaks I came across for whatever reason, maybe they're real, maybe it gets added to a compilation of fake leaks... I don't know. People like to have records of the stuff I suppose. For what it's worth, if you are curious, Crash, Geno and Rayman are popular "leaks" right now too. But I've also seen Sora, Lloyd, Prince of Persia, Scout, Gordon Freeman, Angry Birds and Shantae show up in the past week. So.... Yeah.

View attachment 283189View attachment 283190View attachment 283191
None of them have a new Pokemon, how do you spell fake again, FAIK.

FR though what's with Eggman showing up in all these posts. The only smash site that I remember Eggman being a pretty consistently popular request is Amino and thats honestly 90% kids so I wouldn't be too surprised if the influx was from there. I never really use Amino as it's a pretty shaky site to say the least. Either way another Sonic character is kind of a long shot full stop although Eggman and Tails are the only ones with actual shots so it's correct in that regard

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
I posted a full move set somewhere earlier in the thread. I really really want Mallow to come out for some of his animations, including one of his thoughts. It got a lot of flack in this thread from people who said that Mallow should be his own character or that Geno could stand on his own, but I'm sticking to my guns and saying that it is a very S move to make Mallow appear alongside Gino similar to slime and Morgana. Not necessarily as part of his moveset, but just as a little cameo. It is SO Sakurai.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I posted a full move set somewhere earlier in the thread. I really really want Mallow to come out for some of his animations, including one of his thoughts. It got a lot of flack in this thread from people who said that Mallow should be his own character or that Geno could stand on his own, but I'm sticking to my guns and saying that it is a very S move to make Mallow appear alongside Gino similar to slime and Morgana. Not necessarily as part of his moveset, but just as a little cameo. It is SO Sakurai.

I guess maybe you could chuck them in as an Ice Climber style character but it would need a lot of tweaking considering that the main reason the Icies work is because they are pretty much the same character copied and pasted but with one controlled by an AI. That and you wouldn't want to directly rip off the Ice Climbers.

Maybe it could be where you attack as Geno and then Mallow? That would be poetical in the sense that it would pay homage to how in RPGs you control the characters via different turns and how it makes sense to be done with Geno and Mallow since they are from pretty much the original Mario RPG. And tbh it would probably best work with them since that's the only Mario RPG which had a party system which would be functional in smash. Paper Mario did but I'd imagine it wouldn't be executed in the same way since they'd probably try to make room for modern PM stuff too and if they want to make Mario and Luigi playable as a duo like in M and L, it'd probably be more of a fusion between duck hunt and a bit of ice climbers but on steroids.

The playstyles would have to balance off each other too so basically Zelda and Shiek but not making you have an obvious choice between which one to pick despite that not being the devs original intention. Maybe something like Mallow traps the opponent with its attcks and then Geno would do th damaging and KOing and he'd probably be pretty fast so I'd imagine he would be able to catch up to Mallow before he starts trying to follow him so he can hit the opponent Mallow trapped. Mallow would probably have tonnes of support moves too like buffs and healing that works on both of them.

Tbh this is kind of clunky and impractical but it could be really unique tbh. To remove some of the impracticality you would probably be able to switch which order it goes like Pokemon Trainer on the CSS. But it would still be kind of impractical so idk. People would probably rather have Geno on his own. Wouldn't happen but smash spec is fun amirite

What do you guys think of the idea? If done correctly of course.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman

FR though what's with Eggman showing up in all these posts. The only smash site that I remember Eggman being a pretty consistently popular request is Amino and thats honestly 90% kids so I wouldn't be too surprised if the influx was from there. I never really use Amino as it's a pretty shaky site to say the least. Either way another Sonic character is kind of a long shot full stop although Eggman and Tails are the only ones with actual shots so it's correct in that regard
Well, anons on 4chan complain about "summer" for a reason - it's when all the kids are out of school, so they flood the boards with garbage. It's also why there's been an insane influx of supposed Nintendo leaks and then threads about stuff like Fortnite on /v/. Once school starts it'll all die down again. And that's maybe where Eggman came from, you're probably right, lots of younger posters coming from communities where he's highly supported. I think it's also why you're seeing Valve and PC characters in the leaks. When things like the E3 2018 presentation accurately leaked, it was literally the day before or morning of E3 and school was still in session. The Pokemon leaks also tend to get posted during the school day earlier in the year, around Pokemon Day. The leaks are usually lacking in details and the poster typically does not come back to answer questions. And I remember when there were videos and screenshots of Mario Odyssey leaking from playtesters, it was the middle of the day in like September. And then picture leaks like Ken, the ESRB Leak or even maybe Cacomallow always happen at weird hours when most people are at work or school and literally months and months before they become known to the public, almost always revealed by a play tester. This also happened with Plant. Twice. (Though one of the leaks was on Reddit).

I guess what I'm getting at is that if we do get a legitimate leak for anything related to an upcoming direct, there's a pattern of rules for determining if they're believable or not:

1) A text leak is posted within 24-48 hrs of the direct
2) Details are limited
3) Images/video are rare. When we get them, we usually get them well in advance and with no explanation
4) It appeared when traffic was low and there weren't a lot of eyes to see it (look for posts during school/work hours or late at night)
5) legitimate leakers rarely reveal who they are or their motivation for leaking, though we've had exceptions (NOATesty on Reddit and Affleck for Sword/Shield)
6) A journalist or insider who typically leaks to us about direct dates and things like that is way less likely to reveal actual details, but can be trusted far more than anonymous posters

Honestly, I think the only anonymous leak we've gotten in somewhat recent memory that fits any of these criteria is the Cacomallow leak. I'm a firm believer that is legit because it fits all the parameters. And as far as the Nintendo direct happening in the next couple weeks, that's not anonymous leak so we can probably believe it.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pretty sure Eggman is a ****post started by Sabi loyalists because I remember several of his ex-mods trying to tell me Eggman was happening back in February by pretending to be insiders and then getting mad at me when I didn't believe them:

Screenshot_20200103-125704.png

Screenshot_20200103-125720.png

There was a third but I outright deleted the conversation and blocked them because they became unglued when I didn't believe them and they kept sending me messages for like two days about how I was a fraud and an idiot because I didn't fall for obvious bait that Eggman and Earthworm Jim were coming.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Eggman is a ****post started by Sabi loyalists because I remember several of his ex-mods trying to tell me Eggman was happening back in February by pretending to be insiders and then getting mad at me when I didn't believe them:

View attachment 283192

View attachment 283193

There was a third but I outright deleted the conversation and blocked them because they became unglued when I didn't believe them and they kept sending me messages for like two days about how I was a fraud and an idiot because I didn't fall for obvious bait that Eggman and Earthworm Jim were coming.
I hate the name Sabi. Besides that, I'm glad no one actually thinks Eggman has a legit shot. Second reps from third party series doesn't seem to be faltering. I admit Sonic would be prioritised but I can't imagine it being for DLC especially after the treasure trove of content it got in base game. It was also the the only third party series to get both its stages back even though Pac Maze was popular and Namco were actually working on the game. And I'm fairly sure the Lost World stage got in just to plug the game. It's a pretty cool stage but that is what it seems like

MattX20

Smash Hero

View attachment 283192

View attachment 283193

Those fake leaks can be pretty obnoxious

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So aside from JUST smash, should we get this direct what are people hoping to see? BotW 2 info at last would be cool but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they start next year with that. Geno in Smash would obviously be cool, but the internet would probably collectively s*** itself if we get a Crash double reveal.

Dukefire

Smash Master
At this point with tension very tight due to the pandemic and boredom, some or most are feeling with a direct so close after the indie direct. Just remember that it will come, just don't let your thoughts eat away your patience.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Eggman keeps showing up because sonic has 1 rep in smash and 2 assist trophy’s and people believe that another sonic rep is inevitable.

knowing SEGA though a second rep won’t happen because they won’t wanna take the attention away from sonic..

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Eggman wouldn't just be a SPIRIT UPGRADE like Geno, he'd be a spirit upgrade of a character that's visible right on the home menu screen. So that's like... a mini half-step up from Min Min.

As far as him being a meme on 4Chan... I pretty much associate 4Chan with Reimu (a character that I really don't think anybody would even think about had 4Chan not turned her into a meme), people spelling Shantae wrong (calling her Shantal), and like, Arle? I don't often associate Eggman with 4Chan

Not that I BELEIVE in any of this, mind you. I just like to be open minded. Sonic is a rabidly popular series with an army of fans ready to force Hollywood studios to delay films in the name of changing a character design. Getting another Sonic character isn't actually the craziest thing I could think of.

Of course, I personally think the evidence for Geno not only coming but coming SOON is pretty strong. I figure IF Eggman or other such Sonic character would come, they'd be like, Fighter 9 or 10 so as to be released during Sonic's 30th. But that's just a guess on my part.

Firox

Smash Master
"Spoiled"

I already got 4 of my top 5 this game, and Geno would be all 5. Sakurai has basically given me everything I wanted with the game.
I envy you so much. I've seen other people say that they already got ALL of their most wanteds and they're so fortunate to be able to say that. For me, I'm still holding out for Geno and Isaac but sadly Isaac is a pretty big long shot at this point. If I can at least get Geno though, I'll call this game a total win.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Dream "very optimistic but within realms of possibility" Direct:
Metroid V
Splatoon spin-off
Bayonetta 3 reveal
BotW2 reveal
Possibly MHP5
Possibly TWEWY2
+SMTV gameplay, RF5 reveal, Snap, NMHIII,

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On today's episode of "Satire is Dead and We Sit Upon it like a Throne of Corpses as Kings and Queens of the Damned" somebody said this to Kelios when he supported Grubb's statement about a General Direct coming and Kelios was upset that people were still on his ass about July:

Screenshot_20200823-101937.png

Something something relevant something something stares directly into the camera

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Dream "very optimistic but within realms of possibility" Direct:
Metroid V
Splatoon spin-off
Bayonetta 3 reveal
BotW2 reveal
Possibly MHP5
Possibly TWEWY2
+SMTV gameplay, RF5 reveal, Snap, NMHIII,
SMT5 was withheld for so long, that everything about it you thought you saw in the partner showcase was just a figment of your imagination. We still haven't seen it yet and probably never will

I guess maybe you could chuck them in as an Ice Climber style character but it would need a lot of tweaking considering that the main reason the Icies work is because they are pretty much the same character copied and pasted but with one controlled by an AI. That and you wouldn't want to directly rip off the Ice Climbers.

Maybe it could be where you attack as Geno and then Mallow? That would be poetical in the sense that it would pay homage to how in RPGs you control the characters via different turns and how it makes sense to be done with Geno and Mallow since they are from pretty much the original Mario RPG. And tbh it would probably best work with them since that's the only Mario RPG which had a party system which would be functional in smash. Paper Mario did but I'd imagine it wouldn't be executed in the same way since they'd probably try to make room for modern PM stuff too and if they want to make Mario and Luigi playable as a duo like in M and L, it'd probably be more of a fusion between duck hunt and a bit of ice climbers but on steroids.

The playstyles would have to balance off each other too so basically Zelda and Shiek but not making you have an obvious choice between which one to pick despite that not being the devs original intention. Maybe something like Mallow traps the opponent with its attcks and then Geno would do th damaging and KOing and he'd probably be pretty fast so I'd imagine he would be able to catch up to Mallow before he starts trying to follow him so he can hit the opponent Mallow trapped. Mallow would probably have tonnes of support moves too like buffs and healing that works on both of them.

Tbh this is kind of clunky and impractical but it could be really unique tbh. To remove some of the impracticality you would probably be able to switch which order it goes like Pokemon Trainer on the CSS. But it would still be kind of impractical so idk. People would probably rather have Geno on his own. Wouldn't happen but smash spec is fun amirite

What do you guys think of the idea? If done correctly of course.
BTW folks thoughts? Usually I don't really care about discussion starters being skipped over but I'd like to see what people think on this as I think it'd be pretty cool to have people's input on it instead of leaving it to the sands of time should Geno get revealed in about 5 days

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On today's episode of "Satire is Dead and We Sit Upon it like a Throne of Corpses as Kings and Queens of the Damned" somebody said this to Kelios when he supported Grubb's statement about a General Direct coming and Kelios was upset that people were still on his ass about July:

View attachment 283202

Something something relevant something something stares directly into the camera
Nintendo fans aren't toxic- oh wait, they always were.

What's sad is that the post was unironic. He legitimately thinks it's okay to send death threats and harass others, over rumours of all things.

So pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Nate Drake said the direct should have first and third party games in it when someone quoted Jeff Grubbs post even if it's a Mini apparently.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I envy you so much. I've seen other people say that they already got ALL of their most wanteds and they're so fortunate to be able to say that. For me, I'm still holding out for Geno and Isaac but sadly Isaac is a pretty big long shot at this point. If I can at least get Geno though, I'll call this game a total win.
Yeah, I totally get that. I think a lot of people are in this position because some combination of Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo were quite a lot of people's entire most wanted list. I was just especially lucky because I also had Joker up there and he was like a miracle out of nowhere. At least Geno is looking hella likely so your probably going to have a win soon.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 283189View attachment 283190View attachment 283191
At least one of these is 100% fake. 🤐

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Did I miss something pertaining to the direct? It sounds like some are considering a partner showcase now.
Haven't seen anyone saying it could be a Partner Showcase besides Jeff Grubb, and it seems like he's just speculating.

Of course, there's always the possibility of a Partner Showcase catching everyone off guard like the last time. Guess we'll have to wait and see if Nate and Kelios all of a sudden get pissed at whatever's coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom