• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Origami King was excellent imo, the only things that bothered me were the Toads that were clearly supposed to be more unique but still felt like standard Toads for the most part due to Nintendo’s stupid restrictions.

The Origami Craftsman should’ve been a wise old Toad, not a generic green Toad. And Captain T. Ode and Professor Toad, while interesting, still feel kinda like standard Toads but with at least some more unique personalities and backgrounds.

Regarding other generic partners, I think Bobby being a generic Bob-omb worked very well with what the writers did regarding him and other Bob-ombs, and still made him and what happened to him sad and memorable. I still wish we got more characters like Goombella, Goombario, Bobbery, etc. however.

I love that Kamek was a partner alongside Bowser Jr., I think he’s clearly supposed to be the Magikoopa and one of Bowser’s right-hand men instead of a generic magikoopa. That’s how he’s treated in this game and other games he’s in, especially since in some he’s the only magikoopa (like in Yoshi games, and Bowser Jr.’s Journey where his role as a caretaker and advisor is more explored, and he’s the only magikoopa in TOK too), besides Galaxy I guess since he only gets one important part in the beginning of the game and the other magikoopas you actually get to fight are a girl magikoopa boss and generic ones.

I’m also disappointed the Toad wasn’t a partner, though I wonder if the one that joins Mario and Peach in the end is supposed to be him.

The ending was also bittersweet but I won’t go into why. Still good, just sad.

Personally I don’t mind the different battle system, this one was cool, although it does kinda suck we’ll never get a Paper Mario RPG again despite Tanabe’s insistence on making the different battle systems still feel like a variation of an RPG battle.

The money system also felt pretty good in this game, the progression felt satisfying. I didn’t play Color Splash and just played a little of Sticker Star so I’m not sure how those games were, though a couple of Sticker Star reviews made that game sound really bad even if some fun could still be had, and I remember the little I played of Sticker Star quickly boring me. Battles with regular enemies didn’t feel pointless that much, though I guess it helped that a lot of them were in your way, but sometimes you needed coins too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I never played or seen gameplay of Sticker Star and Color Splash but I like how The Origami King has aspects of gameplay from the first two games. That's what made me sold on it.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think them switching up the battle system is a fine idea. They weren't going to go back to the TTYD model anyways, and while I enjoyed Origami King's battles, I don't think they'd be nearly as fun a second time around. Plus, as P Phoenix Douchebag pointed out, we have Bug Fables for our classic PM needs

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I feel like some of us will turn to the Dark side if Nintendo doesn't hurry up and announce a general direct.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Would Small Battlefield coming out now mean that there are no plans for Smash news in the immediate timeline? Wouldn't this come out when character 7 was released?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
My main issue with Paper Mario: TOK is the fact that I just don't get why Miyamoto prefers boring and bland characters over the more unique and interesting party members from the first three games. I also don't get why Miyamoto is okay with Mario Odyssey having all sorts of interesting characters to represent each world, but for some reason, its an issue for Paper Mario.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My main issue with Paper Mario: TOK is the fact that I just don't get why Miyamoto prefers boring and bland characters over the more unique and interesting party members from the first three games. I also don't get why Miyamoto is okay with Mario Odyssey having all sorts of interesting characters to represent each world, but for some reason, its an issue for Paper Mario.
Plus Tanabe and his team not being allowed to use age/gender details and stuff yet Nintendo still uses Toadette, sometimes Toadsworth (who came from a mainline game), the girl goomba you see in Odyssey, and probably others I’m forgetting. “Unique versions of Toads etc. will hurt our brand!” sounds very stupid even in what they’re doing (so it also looks hypocritical if that’s what they’re thinking) since they make a bunch of unique characters and locations anyway which make things even less consistent than unique goomba etc. characters.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I tend to rank Super Paper Mario in the same tier as PM64 and Color Splash (a tier which is just below Origami King and well below TTYD, though that's not saying much since TTYD is my favorite game). All three are incredible for their own reasons, but which one I like the most is usually determined by which one I've played the most recently.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I wonder if a potential SMRPG 2 could be exempt from the guidelines, considering it can't really pass as the same setting without the unique non-standard Mario elements.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Would Small Battlefield coming out now mean that there are no plans for Smash news in the immediate timeline? Wouldn't this come out when character 7 was released?
Slender brought up this observation the other day:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3146#post-24043708

It was noticed that following minor updates bigger announcements usually weren't more than two weeks out but I don't know anymore. The more I hear about it, more was supposed to happen this past week but Nintendo rescheduled (again) to another unknown date that may or may not be in Jeff Grubb's timeline.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if a potential SMRPG 2 could be exempt from the guidelines, considering it can't really pass as the same setting without the unique non-standard Mario elements.
I can't imagine how a Super Mario RPG sequel would be without the original characters from that game...
like imagine not having Geno and Mallow in the sequel.

Last edited:

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think if there were one DLC character that should come with an assist trophy to boot, it would be Geno for the former and Mallow for the latter. I can easily imagine a RNG one where if activated Mallow would summon a cloud with one of four things happening:

1. Thunderbolt which does moderate damage in a wide area.
2. Shocker which does strong damage on one fighter unless skillfully avoided.
3. Snowy which affects a smaller area than Thunderbolt but will temporarily freeze anyone hit.
4. HP Rain which heals 10-15% for the fighter that summoned it.
I just saw a fan moveset for Geno that had Mallow as one of his specials. Mallow would summon a cloud to use HP Rain to slowly heal Geno, but then Shocker if a foe enters its range. Geno Blast then becomes the Final Smash, which also kind of works.

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-3146#post-24043708

It was noticed that following minor updates bigger announcements usually weren't more than two weeks out but I don't know anymore. The more I hear about it, more was supposed to happen this past week but Nintendo rescheduled (again) to another unknown date that may or may not be in Jeff Grubb's timeline.
For some reason I'm not shocked if Nintendo is consistently changing dates to both shake-up leakers while also giving themselves more time to figure out what the hell they're doing.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I just saw a fan moveset for Geno that had Mallow as one of his specials. Mallow would summon a cloud to use HP Rain to slowly heal Geno, but then Shocker if a foe enters its range. Geno Blast then becomes the Final Smash, which also kind of works.
Personally, I would add Mallow as Geno's grabs. Since I imagine him being a mostly mid-long ranged fighter it would fit really well.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
In speaking of anniversaries, today marks the second year anniversary of getting the reveal of Simon and Richter Belmont, and one of my most wanted characters, King K. Rool! [Also Dark Samus and Chrom].
View attachment 281685
Man, I’ll never forget how crazy that day was. Aside from my dream pick finally get included in a glorious trailer, this presentation was also amazing on it’s own, getting the Belmonts, Chrom and Dark Samus(who I thought had no shot), along with much more content revealed that looked exciting at the time. In my opinion, I think this was the best Smash presentation to date.
I must be one of the few people that liked Super Paper Mario when it came out and to this day will still defend. Sticker Star onwards no
"Raises hand"
“Also raises hand”

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
To be fair even if they announced a new character tomorrow, it might not actually be released until a month later.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
One week into August, still radio silence aside from that Pikmin 3 Deluxe drop.

I remember at the end of July we were all speculating to getting something at the beginning of August, that might not be the case anymore. I'm trying to be patient, but day after day is going by and literally nothing is happening.

I'm trying to ignore my bad feeling that in one week from now, I might be writing this same post. We're inching closer and closer to mid-August, please Nintendo, give us anything.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be fair even if they announced a new character tomorrow, it might not actually be released until a month later.
There's been solid evidence since May that 7 would be released in September which makes things all the more irritating. Chances are this won't change because it's DLC and doesn't have all the hang ups physical releases would have. We've noted that Amiibo waves are about 11 days away from character releases on average which means 7's release will probably be around September 14th so we're almost already at the month mark.

TheBeastHimself

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Can I just ask you: how the hell have you maintained the patience to wait for Geno since 2006 (or maybe even before then?) 14 years! I would've given up after Brawl. I'm not sure if you've ever went into this, but what made you decide to keep chugging for Geno?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think something worth remembering, is that we're not really reliant on a Nintendo direct for Smash news.

We've had Smash directs (or even just short Smash trailers that go live at a specific time) get announced before, if Sakurai is ready to reveal a new character I don't think whatever Nintendo is doing (or not doing) with directs will really hold them back.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Super Paper Mario is my favourite entry out of all Mario RPGs. Definitely an amazing game and unique on its own!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Can I just ask you: how the hell have you maintained the patience to wait for Geno since 2006 (or maybe even before then?) 14 years! I would've given up after Brawl. I'm not sure if you've ever went into this, but what made you decide to keep chugging for Geno?
Technically I've been supporting Geno in some capacity online since 2002 on the Adult Swim forums. 2005 was when I made the Geno support thread on Nsider. How? Just living my life, honestly. Geno's just kind of a sidestory and a lot has happened since 2005: got married, got several degrees, traveled to about 8 countries, picked up a lot of hobbies, made a lot of friends, got 5 cats, etc. I have talked about it in the past and, despite my more serious stories making SmashFAQs' quintuple phlegm covered chins ungulate in disgust, I'll post links where I talk about my personal attachment to not only Geno but Super Mario RPG:

Origin story of Geno (my cat): https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-175#post-22490953

My history with the Geno fanbase: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1768#post-23665664

Why I want Geno to come back: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1764#post-23664198

Why SMRPG was the definitive game of my childhood: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1763#post-23664057

TheBeastHimself

Technically I've been supporting Geno in some capacity online since 2002 on the Adult Swim forums. 2005 was when I made the Geno support thread on Nsider. How? Just living my life, honestly. Geno's just kind of a sidestory and a lot has happened since 2005: got married, got several degrees, traveled to about 8 countries, picked up a lot of hobbies, made a lot of friends, got 5 cats, etc. I have talked about it in the past and, despite my more serious stories making SmashFAQs' quintuple phlegm covered chins ungulate in disgust, I'll post links where I talk about my personal attachment to not only Geno but Super Mario RPG:

Origin story of Geno (my cat): https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-175#post-22490953

My history with the Geno fanbase: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1768#post-23665664

Why I want Geno to come back: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1764#post-23664198

Why SMRPG was the definitive game of my childhood: https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-1763#post-23664057
2002! Holy ****ing **** man, hopefully Smash Ultimate pays off almost two decades of patience for you! I don't have the time now, but I do want to read all of the posts you linked. But wow, that's a lot of dedication, even if Geno was a side hobby for you, good on you!

Trevenant

Smash Lord

It wouldn't quite be 2 decades so the number would be kind of odd but sooner rather than later I suppose but I guess that's because I prefer round numbers. Hopefully it pays off within the month. Admirable feat nonetheless

QQS

Smash Lord

Nice story bro. I understand you a lot cause I’m 30 years old right now and lived all since SMRPG as 6 years old. Though your dedication and online support is without a doubt the best. That’s why we should consider @Fatmanonicethe frontman of this Cause. Together with papagenos papagenos and TerminalMontage TerminalMontage in the Triforce.

We need Geno and we will get it. Everyone here has a story attached to him. And everyone’s dreams will be granted when Geno joins the battle. I’m pretty sure Geno will have all our usernames on his DNA when he gets playable in Smash.

Cheers to this thread and to the most amazing character ever left to Join the Party. And cheers for a game that left a mark on all of us. I can’t describe how Geno and SMRPG makes me teleport to the first decade of my life. Many characters can do that (like my beloved and baby Mega Man, or the nice Banjo), but there is no love as Geno right now, since ancient ages.

GENO AWAKENS!

Just wait and see how Geno Reveal will be the most beautiful piece of Trailer ever on the internet. Imagine his Design, Music, Moveset, Remixes, Classic Route, Kirby Hat, Stage, Spirits, Animations, Boxing Name, Splash Art, Mallow summoned in some form, Wallpaper at the end of the Classic mode, and our eternal joy.

This is happening guys. Maybe in the next 2 weeks or 2 months, who knows when. BUT ITS A FACT.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
There was just something about the build up to that partner direct that was fascinating to me. So many insiders were doing some really coy stuff with SMRPG, and so many of them were expecting the partner direct to be a blowout general direct.

I just, I dunno, I can’t really shake that feeling. Since Nintendo is prone to moving dates around, I wonder if this supposed August character reveal was supposed to be sooner, and if so, does that mean these insiders were intentionally being cheeky? In other words, did they know something?

I’m cautiously excited for the coming weeks. If Nintendo decides to grace us with a general direct/mini direct/mario direct/etc., I believe Geno could finally come home.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I just, I dunno, I can’t really shake that feeling. Since Nintendo is prone to moving dates around, I wonder if this supposed August character reveal was supposed to be sooner, and if so, does that mean these insiders were intentionally being cheeky? In other words, did they know something?
It especially looks suspect because we have at least one past instance of insiders teasing a character before they're shortly revealed.:ultbanjokazooie:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Even if it wasn't Geno in Smash, I find it pretty ‎♡♪!?ing hard to believe we weren't supposed to be getting something SMRPG-related that day. It'd just be weird, otherwise.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
There was just something about the build up to that partner direct that was fascinating to me. So many insiders were doing some really coy stuff with SMRPG, and so many of them were expecting the partner direct to be a blowout general direct.

I’m cautiously excited for the coming weeks. If Nintendo decides to grace us with a general direct/mini direct/mario direct/etc., I believe Geno could finally come home.
I think they were doing that because of the gamestop incident. Didn’t that happen shortly before the mini direct?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Yea, the only pattern Nintendo has right now is saying nothing. Its odd they are so noncommittal with news, even before the virus.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It's been exactly 2 years since the KING joined Smash!!

I remember this reveal, combined with all the previous ones like Simon and Ridley, got me thinking something along the lines of "They're doing it... the mad lads are actually doing it... they're going for all fan-favorites this game!" Then the November 11th Direct came and showed that, no, they were only going for mostly fan-favorites this game.

Still, the fact that fan favorite characters that were once thought impossible like Ridley, the return of Snake, Simon, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie have all happened... it honestly makes Geno feel like a case of "when", not "if".

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ah yes, feels great to be back.

The desk is moved, the PC is hooked back up, and the bomb is being prepared for RTC at this very moment.

It will be a Fatman alright, but not a Fatmanonice, oh no. THIS Fatman is gonna be on FIRE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom