• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, turning Pokemon Gun into cheaper DLC is pro consumer.

I'm for it. I don't really want to buy the same Pokemon game again anymore.

Helps that Isle of Armor was really fun.

MattX20

Smash Hero
and the final 5 days of July begins. With August looking more likely for FP7's reveal, we've only got a few weeks left at most to wait hopefully

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Eh, turning Pokemon Gun into cheaper DLC is pro consumer.

I'm for it. I don't really want to buy the same Pokemon game again anymore.

Helps that Isle of Armor was really fun.
I wouldn’t exactly call it pro-consumer...

When they had the “third game” system, you only needed to wait a year or two and get a combined version with all the little differences and version-exclusive Pokemon combined into one game. Now, without that, you need Sword, Shield, the Pokemon Sword Expansion Pass, and the Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass in order to experience all of it yourself, making it effectively the opposite.

Anyway, supposedly there’s some sort of shadow-drop in about 20 minutes, maybe? Probably not a Direct.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When they had the “third game” system, you only needed to wait a year or two and get a combined version with all the little differences and version-exclusive Pokemon combined into one game. Now, without that, you need Sword, Shield, the Pokemon Sword Expansion Pass, and the Pokemon Shield Expansion Pass in order to experience all of it yourself, making it effectively the opposite.
I'd argue the existence of a third game was anti-consumer.

It's just a practice we got used to. Arguably two versions shouldn't even exist, but I at least understand its an incentive to get involved in your community.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean, if they knew about the potential of more DLC down the line, who is to say that Nintendo hadn´t told TPC that if we do fighters pass 2, you get a spot if you like? type of thing. That could (depending on when they told them) be a long time for them to decide and all.
It's because apparently Mewtwo was a monstrous pain in the ass to get into Smash 4. TPC was only for it if Mewtwo was free, Nintendo didn't like that and apparently they butted heads about it until they reached a compromise that irked both parties. When it comes to Smash,TPC is reluctant to showcase their "old" stuff which is why certain Pokeball Pokemon and even playable Pokemon have gotten the axe so heavily in the past. Pichu was "old news" by the time Brawl rolled around so they didn't fight for him to return, for example.

RingJ5

Smash Ace

It's just a practice we got used to. Arguably two versions shouldn't even exist, but I at least understand its an incentive to get involved in your community.
I’m just saying that the current plan isn’t exactly any better, certainly not to the point of being called “pro-consumer” in comparison.

Still, though, I’m hoping to get something neat in ten minutes or so, though again the rumors could be wrong. If they aren’t, then my best guess is Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I’m just saying that the current plan isn’t exactly any better, certainly not to the point of being called “pro-consumer” in comparison.

Still, though, I’m hoping to get something neat in ten minutes or so, though again the rumors could be wrong. If they aren’t, then my best guess is Pikmin 3 Deluxe.
Where exactly are these rumors coming from?

QQS

Smash Lord
retro.png

boxes.png

I wanna share these cool art I made back in the Wii U days. That version Smash its probably the one thats more hit me cause its added my long requested character there: Mega Man. That day I was schock in tears of joy. My most wanted up to that date.

Now when Ultimate adds Geno, it will revive that feeling and it will be even greater. Its clear that Geno is my most wanted since Mega Man was added.

The picture is the 8 most iconic characters in Wii U Smash for me + their first game. Five guys of Nintendo and the 3 epic Third on those days.

Best wishes!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
It's because apparently Mewtwo was a monstrous pain in the ass to get into Smash 4. TPC was only for it if Mewtwo was free, Nintendo didn't like that and apparently they butted heads about it until they reached a compromise that irked both parties. When it comes to Smash,TPC is reluctant to showcase their "old" stuff which is why certain Pokeball Pokemon and even playable Pokemon have gotten the axe so heavily in the past. Pichu was "old news" by the time Brawl rolled around so they didn't fight for him to return, for example.
Funny considering Game Freak loves shoving Gen 1 down everyone's throats by arbitrarily making it somehow important in every gen since 6.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Who is to say that it has to be a "old" Pokemon. I mean.... didn´t they do a poll to see who the favorite Pokemon from this gen was, sort of like how they did with the poll for Min Min?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who is to say that it has to be a "new" Pokemon. I mean.... didn´t they do a poll to see who the favorite Pokemon from this gen was, sort of like how they did with the poll for Min Min?
To be fair, they do that every gen.

It has less effect on Smash than you think. I mean, Rowlett was the most popular Pokemon of the last generation.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I've talked on the Pokemon topic before but it bears repeating:

-the Pokemon Company doesn't like DLC

-Basically went on the record to say the only reason Sword and Shield got DLC was because they didn't want to spend the money and dev time in creating a Pokemon Gun.

-all the Pokemon DLC in Smash is super cheap or free.

-the Pokemon Company is VERY picky about what goes into Smash and decides it years out.

This all said, I can not only guarantee 7 isn't Pokemon but an honest to God Pokemon DLC pack is incredibly unlikely.
This is why I laugh when people cry about Sword/Shield getting a rep.
One: Pokemon is justified in all its reps given its sales and staying power
Two: Pokemon doesn't need Smash to push its sales. If anything, Smash needs Pokemon to push its sales. Mewtwo was the exception to that rule and arguably that was probably the first step into trying to bring everyone back.

I've never worried about Pokemon rearing its head in any of the Smash DLC, because it never needed the push, unlike a certain other series. TPC/GameFreak is very isolated from the mainline Nintendo fare. Regardless of how I feel about them currently, that is the one thing I loved about TPC/GameFreak; Sakurai has to bend down to them and even Nintendo can't push them around too much. They do their own thing and only come in the circle when needed. The Sword/Shield DLC will sell on the merits of being Pokemon, simple as that. TPC doesn't need the Smash Insurance Plan and never did.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If there's a third Square Enix specific spirit event before the next Direct, it would be an almost guarantee the next fighter is from Square.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
The amusing thing is the lead-up to Ultimate's release and Swish's release were like polar opposites of each other. Ultimate laid mostly everything out, Swish was more restricted with information. Ultimate brought everyone back, Swish cut characters. Ultimate's news updates mostly brought hype to the fanbase, Swish's news updates kept breaking the fanbase apart. Ultimate was praised as a dedicated labor of love, Swish was derided as being phoned in and half hearted.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

I mean...Withholding content from your game that should have been included in the game you bought from the start just to make additional profit is anti-consumer in itself~

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean...Withholding content from your game that should have been included in the game you bought from the start just to make additional profit is anti-consumer in itself~

:ultpiranha: I knew there was a reason I didn't trust you.

For real though, I just find it less anti consumer then a whole third game.

Firox

Smash Master
With all this speculation about Pokemon possibly getting into Smash DLC, lemme just say that if the rumors about Pokken getting a "rep" actually does happen, I would actually be pretty stoked to see Sceptile get in. He's a cool AF character, has a badass moveset and would represent Gen 3 which has yet to get representation in Smash. To be frank, I think Pokken would be its last chance to get in anyway since the Pokemon Company would otherwise push Gen 8 for the next Smash Poke rep. Plus Sceptile would be a grass type which we currently only have 1 of (Ivysaur). I also think it would be cool to have the samurai-like persona it had in Pokken to compliment Greninja's ninja persona. I'd imagine it having a very sleek and agile style of movement and leaf blade would offer a sort of brawler/swordfighter hybrid.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
:ultpiranha: I knew there was a reason I didn't trust you.

For real though, I just find it less anti consumer then a whole third game.
More, less, it's all just a product people who are richer than you are selling back to you to make them more rich by making you poorer. That makes it part of the problem by default...but that's another story. :2gud:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's a brand recognition thing. First Gen is by far the strongest when it comes to brand recognition.
Yeah, Gen 1 never stopped being important.

The one time they tried to move away from other Pokemon gens was Gen V.

And it sold poorly and got a LOT of hate at the time. Those games were not always the beloved games they are today.

Firox

Smash Master
The one time they tried to move away from other Pokemon gens was Gen V.

And it sold poorly and got a LOT of hate at the time. Those games were not always the beloved games they are today.
Gotta love the fans...

"C'mon, give us something new! There's more than Gen 1, ya know!"

(GF releases a game without emphasis on Gen 1 and gets flamed)

And we wonder why gaming companies treat consumers like we're all a bunch of mouth-breathing idiots.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Seen this poping up on Youtube as well rather recently. Have the pass sold poorly or is the next on the horizon?
More likely on the horizon. Nintendo knows they need to sell the pass, and it would be detrimental to not have at least 1 or 2 more reveals and releases before the end of the year.

D

Deleted member

More likely on the horizon. Nintendo knows they need to sell the pass, and it would be detrimental to not have at least 1 or 2 more reveals and releases before the end of the year.
Not to mention, to have the sales get really going, they need to have a fan favorite like Geno or a mainstream pick like Crash or Master Chief. A character from a fairly new IP, would make people wait and pretty much ain’t gonna cut compared to other characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Concidering how Nintendo have behaved this year, I highly doubt we are getting more than 1 (post-Min Min) this year.

D

Deleted member

Seen this poping up on Youtube as well rather recently. Have the pass sold poorly or is the next on the horizon?
I think it's more likely the next is on the horizon.

Tbh I don't think the pass would sell poorly. Even if the characters are liked or not, I'm pretty sure people would buy the pass regardless, cause having a full roster is one of the things that makes Smash awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Man, I keep getting "Geno in smash!" videos recommended on YouTube recently. Clearly it's a sign!

I'm kidding, but it's nice.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Don't be so sure. 3 characters for 2020 and the other half for 2021 is a realistic expectation
Sorry, but I highly doubt we are getting two more before the end of the year that concidering Min Min was apparently delayed by two months and Nintendos lack of communication (and no, I´m not on the train that the rest will all be 3rd parties as well when we have the likes of Isaac, Skull Kid, Dixie, and Crystal left to be playable)... I would have been with you if we didn´t live in a beer filed world, but now.... sure it could happen but I wouldn´t call it realistic

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
Sorry, but I highly doubt we are getting two more before the end of the year that concidering Min Min was apparently delayed by two months and Nintendos lack of communication (and no, I´m not on the train that the rest will all be 3rd parties as well when we have the likes of Isaac, Skull Kid, Dixie, and Crystal left to be playable)... I would have been with you if we didn´t live in a beer filed world, but now.... sure it could happen but I wouldn´t call it realistic
Min Min in particular was delayed due to technical issues specific to her, wasn't she? And they definitely don't work on characters one at a time, which would mean that while she was having trouble, at least one or two more were progressing more or less smoothly.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'm no marketing or product expert, but it seems like the best way to sell the Fighter's Pass would be to release the content in the Fighter's Pass, hah. I never really understood the release / announce schedule (or lack thereof) of the pass in the first place. Obviously the people that are going to buy it are going to buy it regardless, I personally was a pre-order first day everything Smash related, but the whole "Only buy this if you trust we'll make great content" that Sakurai has mentioned multiple times would be a much easier sell if they gave some indication of a schedule. Doesn't even have to be the character announced, just something like "Look forward to characters releasing in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2020, Spring 2021, Summer 2021, and Fall 2021!" or something. And if they need to postpone or delay it, just push the dates or something.

The whole approach to Season Passes with defined numbers of content always seemed a bit strange to me.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Min Min in particular was delayed due to technical issues specific to her, wasn't she? And they definitely don't work on characters one at a time, which would mean that while she was having trouble, at least one or two more were progressing more or less smoothly.
There's been evidence of multiple characters being worked at once in the previous fighter pass, and there is likely no doubt the same is true for Fighter Pass 2. Also yes, Min Min was delayed due to technical problems and not the pandemic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom