• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

I'm banking on Tuesday, to be honest.

You didn't say those exact words, sure, but you were compelled to commit to an internet argument with an internet idiot (again, me) over how Khan *shouldn'tve* brought up Geno. Some would say that you thought his behavior was... wrong to do.
....Dude... You have to be messing with me at this point. I'm not even surr if you're serious. Please stop. You are way off base.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
....Dude... You have to be messing with me at this point. I'm not even surr if you're serious. Please stop. You are way off base.
I don't have the energy to waste on this discussion anymore. You don't think Khan should talk about Geno anymore. Whatever. I don't care anymore. Just don't pretend to be above all this when you've been defending your position for over three hours now.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Now I see why this thread is 3086 pages long. =P 3 pages of banter every time anyone makes a tweet mentioning Geno. Also I’m pretty sure people, insiders or not, can tweet things mentioning characters or games and not mean anything by it.

Remember when everybody felt bad when this article came out? https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...nt_even_reveal_what_games_hes_playing_anymore . Alright, so we’re not talking about Sakurai here, but it’s similar.

The only thing that’s going to put an end to this is an official reveal or the announcement of the last DLC for Ultimate, and since neither of those have a definite time frame, I think it’s best if we all just don’t overthink things or attack people. But hey, what do I know.

QQS

Smash Lord
36FE40F2-61C0-4A2C-9C43-718CABB52B30.jpeg

“I’m coming boys”

GENO SHINES LIKE A STAR!

Credits on the Geno Doll: created by the owner of tienda_panda_freak on Instagram. I requested the doll and this beauty it’s totally handmade by her. (Santiago, Chile)

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos TerminalMontage TerminalMontage SeanHicksArt SeanHicksArt

If you see this picture in Twitter it’s also me, an account just to spread some Geno love.

The puppet is 100% coming playable sooner than later, I have no doubts.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, somebody mentioned a few pages back headcanons of the story in Mario RPG about how Smithy and his group came from another dimension rather than planet and how they could have been invading other worlds and I just love that.

Or how Geno might not be the only Star Warrior. There could be more.

The game itself lends itself to so many things for a continuation. I would love a remake/remaster but a sequel would be great as well.

One that could expand on this: "... higher authority." Or on the idea that Smithy could have been mass produced and someone MADE him and the rest in the first place.

Nintendo and Square could legitimately come up with even a full blown 50+ hours game with Mario and co fighting monsters, Smithy and gang 2.0, gods and so on.

Ahh~!

Please Nintendo/Square do SOMETHING with the property...

:bowser:.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Geno's coming. I've held onto this position with absolute certainty ever since Geno's Mii costume was missing in the Hero presentation. No matter what anyone else says, for or against, I will always know he's coming. I assume he'll be revealed next. This coming week would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

The insiders could be toying with us, but I honestly don't care. They're just trying to push Nintendo to say something.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Geno is included would he come included with music exclusively from SMRPG or would there be more Mario music too?

vivala

Smash Journeyman
They're just trying to push Nintendo to say something.
I theorized about this earlier, but it was in an edit and got buried: these rom leaks could seriously help Nintendo get something out sooner (assuming they have marketing materials ready already, which is a big if!). Nintendo hates it when unofficial content is dominating Nintendo discourse and they hate it when their imperfect development process is given too much attention (look at what happened to Boundary Break recently, for example).

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If Geno is included would he come included with music exclusively from SMRPG or would there be more Mario music too?
I am certain we could get a combination of SMRPG music and other Mario rpg like games ost. That is only if Square gets protective of this IP.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
For whatever reason, people seem to think that the two songs taken down by Nintendo would be the only songs that come with Geno. Even though the Yoko Shimmomura typically owns all the music she creates. So I believe Geno would come with a small handful of SMRPG tracks, as well as a bunch of Paper Mario & Luigi tracks.

I theorized about this earlier, but it was in an edit and got buried: these rom leaks could seriously help Nintendo get something out sooner (assuming they have marketing materials ready already, which is a big if!). Nintendo hates it when unofficial content is dominating Nintendo discourse and they hate it when their imperfect development process is given too much attention (look at what happened to Boundary Break recently, for example).
Tinfoil hat. Maybe people *within* Nintendo leaked the source code in an attempt to get Nintendo off their butts.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
The best case scenario is that Geno comes with a lot of music from SMRPG. Seeing how the composer of that game has worked on numerous remixes for Smash, I think it's pretty likely. Though no clue if Square will establish a limit for whatever reason

If that does happen, there's still a lot of music from Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario not yet in the game so they'll easily be able to have a good selection of songs

So yeah. It'll ether be a pack filled with SMRPG music, or a pack that has a lot of music from later Mario RPG games

vivala

Smash Journeyman
The best case scenario is that Geno comes with a lot of music from SMRPG. Seeing how the composer of that game has worked on numerous remixes for Smash, I think it's pretty likely. Though no clue if Square will establish a limit for whatever reason

If that does happen, there's still a lot of music from Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario not yet in the game so they'll easily be able to have a good selection of songs

So yeah. It'll ether be a pack filled with SMRPG music, or a pack that has a lot of music from later Mario RPG games
It would certainly be a good time to add as much of Origami King's amazing soundtrack as possible

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
It would certainly be a good time to add as much of Origami King's amazing soundtrack as possible
I kinda wish I jumped on Origami King when it first released, because I'm hearing some great things about the story, the script, and the music now. But I can't play games for enjoyment anymore. Stupid YouTube.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
SMRPG by itself has a great OST already, but I'd love if they added music from other Mario RPGs. It helps that Shimomura (SMRPG composer) also composed a lot for Mario & Luigi, so it'd be a smooth addition! Both M&L and Paper Mario are solely missing tracks from the earlier games (PM64 even has none...) so it'd be great to see! Of course, I dunno how likely it is with copyrights and stuff but I'd love it.

QQS

Smash Lord
555E668C-DDA9-4AE8-9F2A-43619F1CC6D6.jpeg

Speaking of Shimomura, this is all her work with Smash since Brawl. I’m pretty sure she will remix at least Forest Maze and Armed Boss when Geno gets revealed these coming weeks.

All is coming full circle. Geno is about to descend.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I kinda wish Sora was coming to Smash if only for Yoko's *amazing* OST. The Encounter effin' SLAPS.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
That's how I feel about Mario & Luigi music. It'd also be a good time to add in more. It's really underrepresented in the game surprisingly. There's so many songs that would fit so well with Smash

Really hope we get a lot of music from all Mario RPG games, but I think it'll be primarily from SMRPG or the later Mario RPGs

vivala

Smash Journeyman
That's how I feel about Mario & Luigi music. It'd also be a good time to add in more. It's really underrepresented in the game surprisingly. There's so many songs that would fit so well with Smash

Really hope we get a lot of music from all Mario RPG games, but I think it'll be primarily from SMRPG or the later Mario RPGs
Maybe we'd get extra from M&L since Shimomura was the main composer for those games and SMRPG.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo of America is going to post Geno's reveal trailer on Twitter after he's officially revealed and people in this thread will still say they're just messing around and it doesn't mean anything
"Everyone knows Sakurai is a big troll" :ultpacman:

D

Deleted member

Honestly that'd be such a cool idea

If Geno's reveal trailer had something to do with Rosalina and the lumas and possessing a doll in the Smash Bros 64 bedroom

Or even using a fake-out one more time like they did with K. Rool and Banjo (though I like the first idea a bit more)

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
So, somebody mentioned a few pages back headcanons of the story in Mario RPG about how Smithy and his group came from another dimension rather than planet and how they could have been invading other worlds and I just love that.

Or how Geno might not be the only Star Warrior. There could be more.

The game itself lends itself to so many things for a continuation. I would love a remake/remaster but a sequel would be great as well.

One that could expand on this: "... higher authority." Or on the idea that Smithy could have been mass produced and someone MADE him and the rest in the first place.

Nintendo and Square could legitimately come up with even a full blown 50+ hours game with Mario and co fighting monsters, Smithy and gang 2.0, gods and so on.

Ahh~!

Please Nintendo/Square do SOMETHING with the property...

:bowser:.
This is actually pretty brilliant. Griselda Griselda and I have actually been throwing around ideas for a hypothetical SMRPG2 as well, that touched on such ideas. Such as another star spirit possessing a doll (Griselda's OC, Geppetto) to actively fight for the Smithy Gang to rebel against the Star Road. He would even have a team of puppet warriors that have designs inspired by Geno. So it's kinda like having other star warriors, but they're all evil. I'll repost the designs if anyone is interested.

As for the idea of there being a greater force mass-producing Smithys to invade other dimensions, I could imagine the Masterminds being a massive Kingdom in another dimension, with a heavy medieval/fantasy theme. After all, if Smithy is just the blacksmith, it makes sense for the authority above him to be a King or Queen of sorts, expanding their kingdom to other dimensions by taking them over with their army of sentient weapons first. Imagine Mario and Co traveling to that kingdom and having to battle mechanized, armored knights and dragons.

Even though the Smithy we know already wears a crown as if he's a king, maybe it can be because he's actually a mass-produced Smithy that defected from the Kingdom and was trying to build his own army in the Mushroom Kingdom to fight back against the kingdom that created him. (For any otaku out there that watched Naruto, it would be just like the whole story of Kaguya being sent by her clan to invade other dimensions and ultimately turning against her own clan, attempting to build an army to fight against them).

Anyway, I'm just rambling ideas at this point and not really connecting them very well. I just really like the idea of the SMRPG community getting together to make a fanmade SMRPG2. If anyone wants to make that happen, you defintiely have artists and idea people here who are willing to contribute. Hell, if Geno doesn't get into Smash, if feel like we ought to pool our energy into that, so that Geno and SMRPG can continue to live on in some way.

Griselda

Smash Lord
This is actually pretty brilliant. Griselda Griselda and I have actually been throwing around ideas for a hypothetical SMRPG2 as well, that touched on such ideas. Such as another star spirit possessing a doll (Griselda's OC, Geppetto) to actively fight for the Smithy Gang to rebel against the Star Road. He would even have a team of puppet warriors that have designs inspired by Geno. So it's kinda like having other star warriors, but they're all evil. I'll repost the designs if anyone is interested.

As for the idea of there being a greater force mass-producing Smithys to invade other dimensions, I could imagine the Masterminds being a massive Kingdom in another dimension, with a heavy medieval/fantasy theme. After all, if Smithy is just the blacksmith, it makes sense for the authority above him to be a King or Queen of sorts, expanding their kingdom to other dimensions by taking them over with their army of sentient weapons first. Imagine Mario and Co traveling to that kingdom and having to battle mechanized, armored knights and dragons.

Even though the Smithy we know already wears a crown as if he's a king, maybe it can be because he's actually a mass-produced Smithy that defected from the Kingdom and was trying to build his own army in the Mushroom Kingdom to fight back against the kingdom that created him. (For any otaku out there that watched Naruto, it would be just like the whole story of Kaguya being sent by her clan to invade other dimensions and ultimately turning against her own clan, attempting to build an army to fight against them).

Anyway, I'm just rambling ideas at this point and not really connecting them very well. I just really like the idea of the SMRPG community getting together to make a fanmade SMRPG2. If anyone wants to make that happen, you defintiely have artists and idea people here who are willing to contribute. Hell, if Geno doesn't get into Smash, if feel like we ought to pool our energy into that, so that Geno and SMRPG can continue to live on in some way.
I kinda feel like we should do something like this even if Geno gets into Smash, to be honest. But I'm wondering if an animation series or webcomic or something like that might be a better option, considering Nintendo's tendency to jump on any fangames they see?

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
In the event Geno gets added to Smash, I actually think a Super Mario RPG sequel could be a somewhat realistic possibility if I’m being honest.

The fan demand for Geno to be added to Smash, and by extension the fan demand for any kind of SMRPG content to return in some form, has to have reached the folks over at Square Enix HQ by now. If Geno’s fighter pack sells well (which I highly doubt it wouldn’t), then perhaps that would be the evidence Square and Nintendo needed in order to persuade them into working on something SMRPG related again.

They would know that the demand is there, and Geno being in Smash Bros would have SMRPG fresh in everyone’s minds, it’s the perfect plan.

Though I thought the same thing would happen with Banjo-Kazooie and uh... yeah let’s move on :(

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Wonder if anyone is keeping track of all the insider folks who mentioned Geno this month (or around the time that Direct Mini aired) so far.

Griselda

Smash Lord
In the event Geno gets added to Smash, I actually think a Super Mario RPG sequel could be a somewhat realistic possibility if I’m being honest.

The fan demand for Geno to be added to Smash, and by extension the fan demand for any kind of SMRPG content to return in some form, has to have reached the folks over at Square Enix HQ by now. If Geno’s fighter pack sells well (which I highly doubt it wouldn’t), then perhaps that would be the evidence Square and Nintendo needed in order to persuade them into working on something SMRPG related again.

They would know that the demand is there, and Geno being in Smash Bros would have SMRPG fresh in everyone’s minds, it’s the perfect plan.

Though I thought the same thing would happen with Banjo-Kazooie and uh... yeah let’s move on :(
Geno's return not just sparking a sequel, but ending up igniting a whole series of SMRPG sequels is the best outcome for me, considering the state of Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi (RIP). We need a new Mario RPG at this point. My only concern there is the whole mandates regarding original characters and story that was brought up not too long ago, and how it seems unlikely that they'd reconsider their strangle-hold on the Super Mario series, which is ultimately draining it of the life it once had for the sake of safety and brand recognition. Then again, like you said, if Geno and his SMRPG content sells very well, maybe that might be enough to push them to make a change. I just hope Geno does sell well enough, because it really feels like there's so much more than just himself riding on his making a comeback, here.

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
I kinda feel like we should do something like this even if Geno gets into Smash, to be honest. But I'm wondering if an animation series or webcomic or something like that might be a better option, considering Nintendo's tendency to jump on any fangames they see?
True, since it's unlikely we'll ever get a direct sequel to SMRPG even if Geno gets in Smash, we should push the idea anyway. I could see a webcomic being a fun way to expand upon the story too. But my heart will always yearn for a new SMRPG that takes everything great about the original game and improves upon it, thus why I want to keep supporting the idea of a fanmade one. I know Nintendo would probably DMCA the heck out of it, but I still want to see it be made just to spite Nintendo for how they're killing the SMRPG franchise for the sake of keeping Mario generic and oversimplified.

Alternatively, we could always go the Bug Fables route and make an entirely new series that borrows the elements that made SMRPG so good. It's not like Nintendo has a copyright on possessed puppets, sentient weapons and timed attacks. Geppetto is cool enough to be an original villian of his own series, with a few tweaks to his backstory to remove any association with the Mario universe. We could make our own evil blacksmith and make our own weapon-themed villains and Nintendo can't do anything about it. We could even make our own Geno, and Square-Enix would probably care less, lol.

Griselda

Smash Lord
True, since it's unlikely we'll ever get a direct sequel to SMRPG even if Geno gets in Smash, we should push the idea anyway. I could see a webcomic being a fun way to expand upon the story too. But my heart will always yearn for a new SMRPG that takes everything great about the original game and improves upon it, thus why I want to keep supporting the idea of a fanmade one. I know Nintendo would probably DMCA the heck out of it, but I still want to see it be made just to spite Nintendo for how they're killing the SMRPG franchise for the sake of keeping Mario generic and oversimplified.

Alternatively, we could always go the Bug Fables route and make an entirely new series that borrows the elements that made SMRPG so good. It's not like Nintendo has a copyright on possessed puppets, sentient weapons and timed attacks. Geppetto is cool enough to be an original villian of his own series, with a few tweaks to his backstory to remove any association with the Mario universe. We could make our own evil blacksmith and make our own weapon-themed villains and Nintendo can't do anything about it. We could even make our own Geno, and Square-Enix would probably care less, lol.
The Geppetto/Geno clash is an important part of things, but I just entertained the thought of a Bug Fables-styled remodeling and it lead me to the little chance that if we make an indie RPG that gets on Switch and somehow becomes hyper successful, we could see deals being worked out to get representation in any possible future Smash installments - which could mean that in a decade we could get Geno fighting Geppetto, anyway. Just a little train of thought that I found funny.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
This might be unpopular but if there was a smrpg sequel I'd prefer to retire the Smithy Gang as the main villains. They worked well, but I liked the approach the old Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games took where the antagonist changed each time. That helped keep things fresh and gave each game a distinct identity. With that said they could show up in boss battles or cameos and I'd support it.

Griselda

Smash Lord
This might be unpopular but if there was a smrpg sequel I'd prefer to retire the Smithy Gang as the main villains. They worked well, but I liked the approach the old Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games took where the antagonist changed each time. That helped keep things fresh and gave each game a distinct identity. With that said they could show up in boss battles or cameos and I'd support it.
This is also valid. Maybe the Shadow Queen spoiled me, but I'd also like to see Mario and Geno going up against some sort of ancient, forgotten evil, where half the plot is just figuring out what they're even dealing with.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
What happened with boundary break?

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Not that I wouldn't be down for it, but for SMRPG 2 to be a thing wouldn't Square have to be involved at least somewhat? Sure Nintendo could make it all by themselves but then, what would be the point? You wouldn't have any of the unique cross-company elements the first had, nor the potential for FF boss cameos or music.

So assuming a collab with square would be the best way to do this...how on earth? Didn't Square basically never forgive Nintendo for forcing cartridges on them? Something tells me Square would rather a full partnership be a thing of the past. I know we all like to tell ourselves things are better between them now and certainly they should be better enough to let Geno be in Smash, but a full on partnership for a return to the last major project they had together before the split? How would they ever agree to that? Especially during a time when they're all in on FF7R right now.

Even if Nintendo DID try it alone, do you REALLY want that with the way they've neutered Paper Mario with their laughably absurd mandates regarding story, difficulty and character limitations? It would be unworthy of the legacy SMRPG has built for so many people, IMO.

The best we can hope for is a new Mario entry that uses the same characters, it would seem. Or in a best-case scenario, an HD remake.

Last edited:

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
This is also valid. Maybe the Shadow Queen spoiled me, but I'd also like to see Mario and Geno going up against some sort of ancient, forgotten evil, where half the plot is just figuring out what they're even dealing with.
I agree that the Smithy Gang wouldn't have to return. After all, the great thing about the Mario RPGs (Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi) is the introduction of entirely new villains with fun concepts. Believe me, I definitely don't want to downplay how entertaining Fawful was or how enjoyably eerie the Shadow Queen was. I was only focusing on the Smithy Gang so much because I always felt there was unused potential in their concept. There's so many more weapon types you could base their designs on, and wacky things you could do with them that could be as awesomely absurd as the Axem Rangers.

The Geppetto/Geno clash is an important part of things, but I just entertained the thought of a Bug Fables-styled remodeling and it lead me to the little chance that if we make an indie RPG that gets on Switch and somehow becomes hyper successful, we could see deals being worked out to get representation in any possible future Smash installments - which could mean that in a decade we could get Geno fighting Geppetto, anyway. Just a little train of thought that I found funny.
If we create our own Geno, the Geno/Geppetto clash can still live on in a new form. They can still be celestial beings that interact with the mortal world by possessing inanimate objects like puppets. An evil force in the mortal world threatens to destroy the Celestial Realm or harness its power for sinister means and New Geno descends to seek them out and stop them, joining up with the heroes along the way. But Geppetto, who turns against the Celestial Realm, follows New Geno to the mortal world and assists the villains, using them as pawns in his plan to take over the Celestial Realm for his own purposes. I know it must still sound weird, since you created Geppetto with the Mario lore in mind and doesn't have the same impact without the real Geno, but I'm just trying to make the point that the idea can still work, haha.

And hey, Toby Fox has proven that anyone with a passion and a vision can get recognized by Nintendo, if they really put their heart into it. We can make our own Undertale or Bug Fables by taking everything we love about SMRPG and making our own game built on that foundation. Heck, if it weren't for my lack of knowledge and experience in game design, I'd want to lead such a project. The point is, if we can exist in a timeline where Sans can fight Ness in an official Nintendo game, Geppetto fighting Geno in the future isn't impossible either. You just gotta make it happen.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
In the event that the developers can only get a few Super Mario RPG tracks to include with Geno for whatever reason, I could see them making up for it with plenty of music from other Mario RPG games.

Personally speaking, you won't hear any complaints from me if Geno ends up bringing any of the following tracks with him...

D

Deleted member

I'd love an SMRPG sequel. I think there should be new villains that tie into the Smithy gang, like maybe a greater force that Smithy and his gang were sent by to go to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom