• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
No matter where you stand on tweets meaning anything, you have to admit it's weird that all these industry people decided to start joking about Geno in Smash all at the same time. Clearly they just all got into a jokey mood once the FP7 reveal became imminent. Surely it's all just a coincidence!
Plus, with how long these "jokes" go on for, you'd think they'd get sick of it by now

StarLight42

Smash Lord
And it ain’t a coincidence that Pam Horton accidentally said Geno was announced in Smash in a GameStop promo video for an unrelated game either.

But *none* of this is the fault of the insiders. Your anger or annoyance or what have you is misdirected. Get mad at Nintendo for holding back. Not at the insiders for being coy.
Dude, who said I was taking anything out on insiders? You're trying to beat up a strawman while I tell you why you're not reading the room correctly. It's not a good look.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Looks like another point to add to The List Polarthief Polarthief
Do what now? CacoMallow is still on the list, I am confuse. I know old stuff can definitely still be relevant, and especially with Nintendo taking their sweet time to do reveals, lord only knows when Geno will even be shown.

This is the kind of nonsense that gets outsiders to make fun of us. Don't be that guy.
And it ain’t a coincidence that Pam Horton accidentally said Geno was announced in Smash in a GameStop promo video for an unrelated game either.
Wait so Imran's tweet *is* a coincidence even though it's getting awfully close to when Geno should be announced, but Pamela's GameStop video *isn't*? Mmm, I can't help but feel you need to be consistent with "they're all coincidental" or "they aren't coincidental and Geno is coming".

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, it's not just that insiders are talking about Geno more than usual and teasing the fans about it. It's also that they're doing so during a period where a lot of people are expecting the next Smash reveal to be coming very soon. Even if they really are just joking about it and not actually teasing Geno, doing it during one of these periods doesn't help.

Plus, we've got at least one instance of someone teasing a character's fanbase shortly before the character got revealed.:ultbanjokazooie:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I'd say that this tweet is waaaay less suspicious than the ones last weekend though. At that point it was multiple people sending multiple tweets that essentially included Geno for no reason (unless it was hinting at him or just getting fans riled up), all at a time where we knew for certain that there would be a direct within a couple days. Now we have one guy who's tweeting specifically because he has a fun theory/headcanon (rather than inserting Geno for basically no reason) in a time where we're not expecting a direct for a bit. Keep in mind, while much of this thread is hoping for something on Monday, insiders don't necessarily share that belief. For example, Jeff Grubb's been on a couple of podcasts since the mini and his guess on the next direct boiled down to "sometime in August maybe??"

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Can we normalize not giving a **** what pathetic people who seethe over a puppet's existence say?
I’m not concerned with the opinions of the Geno detractors. I’m concerned with how this community’s hostility towards insiders making coy references makes us look to everyone else. Us getting mad at Khan for theory crafting is petty and is a bad look.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I’m not concerned with the opinions of the Geno detractors. I’m concerned with how this community’s hostility towards insiders making coy references makes us look to everyone else. Us getting mad at Khan for theory crafting is petty and is a bad look.
Literally who here is even remotely mad bro?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I personally am a little split on if Imran is trying to leak anything or not. He's blatantly mentioning Geno in Smash when usually he's pretty reserved on the information he knows until after the reveal. For example he didn't really talk about Terry/more characters until that direct was airing, he said Byleth was supposed to be revealed in December after he was revealed (but I don't know if he knew Byleth specifically before then or just FP5). He phrased his Min Min leak very cleverly (while reiterating he thinks that we won't see too many 3rd parties), and people didn't catch on to the leak.

He's been mentioning Geno and Smash a lot more compared to something like the AMRS character being Min Min.

Same thing applies to GameXPlain, Andre at the very least isn't super blatant about info he knows. And he rarely does "teases" a character outside of the Nintendo speculation videos, for example when ARMS was coming out he just made a single tweet saying that he wants Min Min, Twintelle, or Helix in the game. Which I don't think is as blatant as him talking specifically about Geno right before a Nintendo direct.

Andwooooo Andwooooo No. It is you who is completely missing the point. There's a difference between heavily analyzing a card in a "this character is coming to Smash" tweet to align it with the character you want, and blatantly talking about the subject of a certain heavily requested character coming to Smash during a time when direct anticipation is high. These are not the same scenarios. It's not a ****ing coincidence that Jeff grub randomly stopped "playing" Mario RPG 3 minutes afterward just to go play Ghosts of Tsushima, a game on an entirely different console.
Well actually speaking if we're going full CSI on this, he actually posted his first "supposed" hint at 3:50PM, his second "hint" was at 4:00PM, those both contained pictures. His last tweet relating to that SMRPG was at 5:20PM when he said he was just joking about it, no pictures. He posted about Ghost of Tsushima at 5:42PM which is at minimum a 22 minute timeframe for him to switch over, but if he stopped playing SMRPG before his last tweet that may give him up to nearly 90 mins to switch over; either scenario is believable and Ghost recently released so it would explain why he started playing it.

Do what now? CacoMallow is still on the list, I am confuse. I know old stuff can definitely still be relevant, and especially with Nintendo taking their sweet time to do reveals, lord only knows when Geno will even be shown.

Wait so Imran's tweet *is* a coincidence even though it's getting awfully close to when Geno should be announced, but Pamela's GameStop video *isn't*? Mmm, I can't help but feel you need to be consistent with "they're all coincidental" or "they aren't coincidental and Geno is coming".
Imran's "hints" started popping up after the 17th. With the info we have now, it's safe to say the audio on Pamela's video was recorded late June, early July. At minimum that's a 15 day difference, which is a pretty significant one. Especially when other insiders like GameXPlain also started to hint at Geno closer to Imran's time rather than Pam's.

So really, Horton's video and the other insiders statement have enough of a time difference. Remember that Horton wouldn't get an inside look at the next direct either, according to what Imran has revealed (E3 directs only occur ahead in person, but all other directs aren't shown ahead of time).

I think Geno is 7, the Insider's statements do involve certain suspicion, but it's better to drop the whole conspiracy theory of the Gamestop video. The video was poorly worded, and with the way that they suggested things, it better to take it with a huge tablespoon of salt even if Geno ends up being 7.

Can we normalize not giving a **** what pathetic people who seethe over a puppet's existence say?
I love it when the community seethes just because a character they don't want gets in. I'm looking forwards to all the reactions when Geno is revealed as a fighter.

I felt the same way about Byleth, Hero, and Terry. Watching the immature portion of the community lose it's **** just because a character they didn't want get in just makes it feel like justice is being served.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
To be completely honest, if people know that you have a chance of knowing something that they don't, then you're already in a position where you have to think carefully about any joking or teasing that you do before you do it. Sure, they can just be Geno fans, but this can't be considered the same as, for instance, me saying something that could be taken as a hint to Geno in Smash, because I'm some 'nobody' who doesn't have any sources and has an incredibly low chance of receiving any information regarding the next fighter ahead of time.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Important life advice for the youngins in the thread; you’ll be much happier just being yourself than worrying over what strangers think about you.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

But *none* of this is the fault of the insiders. Your anger or annoyance or what have you is misdirected. Get mad at Nintendo for holding back. Not at the insiders for being coy.

Hot take, but no. They have no horses in this race, so it’s not their responsibility to placate us. You trying to police their tweeting behavior is just silly.

If you’re mad, be mad. But direct it at the ones responsible for this nonsense—don’t be mad at the people trying to incite actual discussion when Nintendo won’t.
I think what's damning of you is your insistence on defending people in higher positions than you who should absolutely be held to a higher standard with the things they say. Again, you miss the point, People can tweet, do, say what they want, but those actions have consequences. It is not our fault as members of the community for misunderstanding their intentions when they say things they KNOW have a risk of being taken the wrong way.

This goes WAY deeper than the Geno issue however and more into the issue of class empowerment, but i will say YET AGAIN: His decision to make that tweet during a time like this was reckless at best and if it were me, I wouldn't have done it. It's pretty easy to understand why I wouldn't have, and I stand by it.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
It's also possible that Imran wasn't thinking in terms of "there's a dedicated Geno fanbase that's gonna have Opinions about this" and more "I thought of a funny headcanon about a popular smash pick, so I'm sure lots of people would appreciate hearing it."

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I believe they both know who FP7 is. I believe they both know that Geno's coming as well. It's not a coincidence that Khan and Horton both, either accidentally or otherwise, have hinted at Geno's impending reveal.

Literally who here is even remotely mad bro?
Are you even paying attention in this thread?

I think what's damning of you is your insistence on defending people in higher positions than you who should absolutely be held to a higher standard with the things they say. Again, you miss the point, People can tweet, do, say what they want, but those actions have consequences. It is not our fault as members of the community for misunderstanding them.

This goes WAY deeper than the Geno issue however and more into the issue of class empowerment, but i will say YET AGAIN: His decision to make that tweet during a time like this was reckless at best and if it were me, I wouldn't have done it. It's pretty easy to understand why I wouldn't have, and I stand by it.
I'm defending them because you're attacking them. They're human beings as well and they deserve to be treated as such. You getting upset over them trying to provide levity and garner discussion is silly when you should be redirecting all this energy towards Nintendo, as I said before. Whether he knows or doesn't know is irrelevant. As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said before, he's ****posting because, perhaps, he also wants Geno in Smash.

It's also possible that Imran wasn't thinking in terms of "there's a dedicated Geno fanbase that's gonna have Opinions about this" and more "I thought of a funny headcanon about a popular smash pick, so I'm sure lots of people would appreciate hearing it."
This is the most likely outcome. Whether Khan knows or does not know is not important. Maybe he's a fan just like us and is coming up with his own theories and is using his platform to talk about those theories.

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
And that's rightfully so--because Geno's going to be revealed soon. Lotta insiders know this to be true--they're just as annoyed with Nintendo as we are.

Griselda

Smash Lord
This whole 'they know something/they don't know something' is starting to feel uncomfortably like a conversation with my family. "Why aren't you just nodding and immediately moving onto the next topic? You're so toxic, you don't know how to let anything go."

Like, maybe I want to hold onto something, because it's unhealthy to be so detached as to not think about anything longer than the day it happens? There's also nothing wrong with stopping to consider everything for a few seconds, no matter how small something might be. "It makes you look bad to be hopeful about everything you see." Like I even care?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Well funny thing you mention it, but the resetera thread on Smash was just talking about Geno being a Luma slightly before Imran tweeted about it (Imran is a regular on resetera). He may have tweeted it just for them. That said, the fact that he's only talked about Geno in Smash (semi-seriously) in the last couple of days/week may mean something bigger.

But yeah, unless more insiders like ZhugeEX chime in, we won't know a 100% if they're hinting or just joking around. All we can do is be hopeful that they know about Geno, and he's coming soon. So yeah, we just wait until FP 7 gets revealed (and Geno has an excellent shot of being it).

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'm defending them because you're attacking them. They're human beings as well and they deserve to be treated as such. You getting upset over them trying to provide levity and garner discussion is silly when you should be redirecting all this energy towards Nintendo, as I said before. Whether he knows or doesn't know is irrelevant. As Fatmanonice Fatmanonice said before, he's ****posting because, perhaps, he also wants Geno in Smash.

This is the most likely outcome. Whether Khan knows or does not know is not important. Maybe he's a fan just like us and is coming up with his own theories and is using his platform to talk about those theories.
Which, as I will say again because you failed to hear the first time, he's free to do. What he's NOT free to do is get mad when people take it to mean something he never meant it to be because he's already been doing this over and over during that character's most heated speculation period in ages. If you really can't understand why making a series of tweets like that in his position is a dumb idea, I can't help you. At the very least he could refrain from it for a while if he doesn't want people to read into what he says.

I'm a musician. If I posted a picture of me in the studio every few days, it's only natural that my fans would start to think I'm making an album. It's not complicated. If i'm not making an album, I probably shouldn't be doing that.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping the next mini direct isn't far off. Nintendo has really pushed their audiences/fans to the brink with info droughts

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The masses: haha, Geno is only in 7th, no one cares about him!

Me, an intellectual:

The lad from SEVEN Stars getting SEVENTH in a poll for who could potentially be fighter SEVENTY SEVEN?

Say it with me lads.

27d.jpg

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Which, as I will say again because you failed to hear the first time, he's free to do. What he's NOT free to do is get mad when people take it to mean something he never meant it to be because he's already been doing this over and over during that character's most heated speculation speculation period in ages. If you really can't understand why making a series of tweets like that in his position is a dumb idea, I can't help you. At the very least he could refrain from it for a while if he doesn't want people to read into what he says.

I'm a musician. If I posted a picture of me in the studio every few days it's only natural that my fans would start to think I'm making an album. It's not complicated. If i'm not making an album, I probably shouldn't be doing that.
So he’s established that he doesn’t, in fact, know whether or not Geno’s coming. He probably does, but that is neither here not there. Once he established he didn’t know, then hanging onto his words, re: Geno, is just silly. Being mad at him is, again, just silly.

All this energy you’re focusing on him would be better spent on the company refuses to give us any information whatsoever.

And I can’t waste anymore energy on this conversation. If you wanna continue being mad at Khan, fine. I won’t think any less of ya for it. But there are way bigger fish.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet

The masses: haha, Geno is only in 7th, no one cares about him!

Me, an intellectual:

The lad from SEVEN Stars getting SEVENTH in a poll for who could potentially be fighter SEVENTY SEVEN?

Say it with me lads.

View attachment 280012
>A certain puffball with a blue bandana also in 6th place
>A certain spiky-haired blue-suited lawyer also in 10th place

Cheers to the boys in blue getting into the Top 10!

D

Deleted member

Nintendo, can you reveal Geno now? We know you got him.:shades:

Last edited by a moderator:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So he’s established that he doesn’t, in fact, know whether or not Geno’s coming. He probably does, but that is neither here not there. Once he established he didn’t know, then hanging onto his words, re: Geno, is just silly. Being mad at him is, again, just silly.

All this energy you’re focusing on him would be better spent on the company refuses to give us any information whatsoever.

And I can’t waste anymore energy on this conversation. If you wanna continue being mad at Khan, fine. I won’t think any less of ya for it. But there are way bigger fish.
I don't know where you get the idea that me being annoyed at his irresponsibility (If, indeed, he doesn't know anything) means I cannot also be mad at Nintendo's incompetence. As I told you: This issue runs far deeper than one person or entity.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Right here, obviously. You don’t get to pretend to be indifferent about his tweet while also writing this comment in response to said tweet.

I know what I said.

"Yes, let me joke around toward a fanbase that I already riled into a frenzy the other day. There's no WAY people won't go nuts again. People look to me for info, but I don't care how people read into what i say, screw it!"

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Which, as I will say again because you failed to hear the first time, he's free to do. What he's NOT free to do is get mad when people take it to mean something he never meant it to be because he's already been doing this over and over during that character's most heated speculation period in ages. If you really can't understand why making a series of tweets like that in his position is a dumb idea, I can't help you. At the very least he could refrain from it for a while if he doesn't want people to read into what he says.

I'm a musician. If I posted a picture of me in the studio every few days, it's only natural that my fans would start to think I'm making an album. It's not complicated. If i'm not making an album, I probably shouldn't be doing that.
Well, if Imran is trying to hint/leak at Geno being the next character he isn't really doing a good job, as no one is really taking it beyond "haha, funny man post about Geno". So I doubt the backlash against him would be too hard, as he isn't gaining any traction either. So if he gets backlash for this, it'd be pretty minimum, as most people don't really think he's trying to hint at something.

Honestly speaking, nekoo in the Newcomer thread has probably been far more effective in convincing the newcomer thread that Geno is probably happening soonish. He backed up the credibility of Naz and even after Naz backed away, nekoo still thinks Geno is happening and probably isn't leakbait; and that if he knew a 100% that Geno is not going to happen at all, he would come here and just straight up say he isn't a thing.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Literally this--

Regardless of what supposed insiders or leakers say--Geno's coming. Honestly, I think he's coming sooner rather than later, and will most likely be revealed next. I don't need the words of Khan or Horton or anyone else to tell me he's coming, because I know he he. Whatever anyone says is just window dressing.

I knew he was coming even if we only got one Fighters Pass, because there's no way Sakurai would give up on him and there's no way Square Enix would say no to free money. He was always going to be a bonus character after the first pass ended anyway.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Guys, Imran Khan is just like us. He's just ****posting about Geno on a Friday night like we often do. :troll:
The real test to see if Imran Khan has what it takes to be ordained into the evil "Geno cult," is if he is able to go after the elderly and cough into their mouths, right Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? That's our initiation to see if he is one of us.:ultpacman:

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Right here, obviously. You don’t get to pretend to be indifferent about his tweet while also writing this comment in response to said tweet.
Never claimed indifference! I think that it was his right to post what he posted, It is then my right think it was stupid of him to do so at this time and I think Nintendo are even stupider. Why is this so hard to understand?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I understand we are starved for...anything, but perhaps we move on from whatever conversation is happening right now?

"We dont want to lose anymore toes now."
6161f345-8148-4c6a-b098-b283bce00122_screenshot.jpg

Or move the disagreement to PMs?

Last edited:

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Never claimed indifference! I think that it was his right to post what he posted, It is then my right think it was stupid of him to do so at this time and I think Nintendo are even stupider. Why is this so hard to understand?
You claimed you weren't annoyed.

But then immediately went on a long diatribe with an internet idiot (me) about how he wronged you. If that ain't annoyed, then I don't know what is.

As I said before--Geno's coming whether insiders say he's coming or not. Don't take anything else seriously and let's all wait, together, for Nintendo to get off their stupid butts and reveal him already. Aye?

The real test to see if Imran Khan has what it takes to be ordained into the evil "Geno cult," is if he is able to go after the elderly and cough into their mouths, right Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? That's our initiation to see if he is one of us.:ultpacman:
Don't think about it too much. It's a blood oath to defy evil.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I understand we are starved for...anything, but perhaps we move on from whatever conversation is happening right now?

"We dont want to lose anymore toes now."
View attachment 280017
Bring on Monday. Lord knows I want the days to fly by as fast as they can.

You claimed you weren't annoyed.

But then immediately went on a long diatribe with an internet idiot (me) about how he wronged you. If that ain't annoyed, then I don't know what is.

As I said before--Geno's coming whether insiders say he's coming or not. Don't take anything else seriously and let's all wait, together, for Nintendo to get off their stupid butts and reveal him already. Aye?

Don't think about it too much. It's a blood oath to defy evil.
I never once said he wronged me. Ever.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Does Geno even HAVE toes?
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

Bring on Monday. Lord knows I want the days to fly by as fast as they can.
I'm banking on Tuesday, to be honest.

I never once said he wronged me. Ever.
You didn't say those exact words, sure, but you were compelled to commit to an internet argument with an internet idiot (again, me) over how Khan *shouldn'tve* brought up Geno. Some would say that you thought his behavior was... wrong to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom