• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Caco can still be released without Doomsayer since it can be considered a mascot. This may refresh our memories in regards to Hero's inclusion:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...scrapped-initially-just-luminary-and-erdrick/

Specifically just saying it is possible regarding the caco thing and slayer. Since if things didn't work out, we could have had a different Dragon Quest rep.

I only bring this up since if we were to take their word on "No doomguy/slayer discussed for smash", this could be the explanation on the cacodemon Mii Costume.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
As unlikely as it is, how would you guys react to a Geno and Doom Slayer double reveal?
Despite being neutral towards the inclusion of Doomguy, a double reveal with him and Geno would be insanely hype!

I‘ve even brainstormed a potential way the trailer would play (disclaimer that I’m not exactly a DOOM guy, so anything I get wrong about the series is my bad).

It begins with a scene of the Geno doll coming to life in a house, then cuts to a battle in the forest between some characters (one of which is Mario) and Galeem/Dharkon’s forces. A Geno Whirl is sent out from somewhere in the trees, blasting away the evil clones. Geno slowly walks out of the trees as the camera pans up on him. Mario is happy to see him, and Geno’s gameplay is shown. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Super Mario RPG.

However, the trailer continues, Geno is happy when all of a sudden a hole rips up from the ground behind him. Flames and monsters start coming out, including numerous Cacodemons that begin flying around. Geno tries to shoot at them, but one begins to close in on Geno and he keeps missing. Screen cuts to black. Suddenly the Cacodemon is cut in half by a chainsaw. Geno opens his eyes to see Doomguy right in front of him, and Doomguy’s gameplay is shown. The trailer ends with Geno and Doomguy standing side by side fighting demons in a scene similar to the boxart for DOOM. The two jump into the air and let out strong attacks that both explode at the same time. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X DOOM.

I dunno, sounds like a cool idea to me anyway.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
These are the exact same series in a different timeline and if you're willing to pretend that this maintains your pattern (we love fan rules) than you could make an even more compelling argument that Cacodemon (DOOM 1993) and Doom Slayer (DOOM 2016verse) are from "different series"
That’s a pretty big stretch.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Despite being neutral towards the inclusion of Doomguy, a double reveal with him and Geno would be insanely hype!

I‘ve even brainstormed a potential way the trailer would play (disclaimer that I’m not exactly a DOOM guy, so anything I get wrong about the series is my bad).

It begins with a scene of the Geno doll coming to life in a house, then cuts to a battle in the forest between some characters (one of which is Mario) and Galeem/Dharkon’s forces. A Geno Whirl is sent out from somewhere in the trees, blasting away the evil clones. Geno slowly walks out of the trees as the camera pans up on him. Mario is happy to see him, and Geno’s gameplay is shown. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Super Mario RPG.

However, the trailer continues, Geno is happy when all of a sudden a hole rips up from the ground behind him. Flames and monsters start coming out, including numerous Cacodemons that begin flying around. Geno tries to shoot at them, but one begins to close in on Geno and he keeps missing. Screen cuts to black. Suddenly the Cacodemon is cut in half by a chainsaw. Geno opens his eyes to see Doomguy right in front of him, and Doomguy’s gameplay is shown. The trailer ends with Geno and Doomguy standing side by side fighting demons in a scene similar to the boxart for DOOM. The two jump into the air and let out strong attacks that both explode at the same time. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X DOOM.

I dunno, sounds like a cool idea to me anyway.
That sounds like amazing trailer. I'm neutral on Doom Slayer too but a double reveal with him and Geno would be hyped as hell.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So, I just bought Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on the Wii U eShop (and yes, I really did buy something for my Wii U in 2020, thank you for asking), and I got to the part where Geno makes a cameo in a mini-game...
image1.jpg

I also learned that said mini-game happens to be named "The Star 'Stache Smash". Coincidence? :4pacman:

Joking aside, would you be fine if, after getting into Smash, Geno made more cameos like this? I think he could be playable in spin-off games like Mario Kart, but for other games like the mainline Mario games and other series where he wouldn't be playable, I wouldn't mind if Geno kept making cameos, like being a costume for Mario to wear in Super Mario Odyssey 2, or the Geno doll being a collectible treasure/item in Pikmin 4.

As unlikely as it is, how would you guys react to a Geno and Doom Slayer double reveal?
A double-reveal with Geno and Doom Slayer would make me, and I imagine a lot of other people, **** my/our pants. To quote a certain nerd, "literally, **** came out our ***es and we rocketed through the roof."

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Obviously hyped for Geno. As for Slayer, while I don't have much personal attachment to him personally, I'd be psyched to see him based on his status alone, like how I felt about Ryu and Cloud.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
All of my hype would be directed towards Geno. I don't dislike Doom Slayer and I think he would be a cool character, but I have zero connection to the DOOM franchise that I would feel absolutely nothing if he did get in.

Droodle

Smash Lord
These are the exact same series in a different timeline and if you're willing to pretend that this maintains your pattern (we love fan rules) than you could make an even more compelling argument that Cacodemon (DOOM 1993) and Doom Slayer (DOOM 2016verse) are from "different series"
You don't play fighting games? They aren't the same series. No one that actually plays those games is going to say Samurai Shodown is literally the exact same thing as Fatal Fury or King of Fighters. King of Fighters is a crossover fighting game series featuring those casts, but saying that they're all the same series is like saying Mario and Donkey Kong are the exact same series just because they coexist and are platformers. The DOOM 1993 and 2016 comparison is also laughably bad, that's like saying Crash Bandicoot (PS1) and Crash Bandicoot (Reboot) are completely different series.

Besides it's Nintendo's words against yours, because they differentiated those series in the DLC showcase.

What if Cacodemon *and* Doom Slayer were both released as Mii Costumes? I mean Callie and Marie were. *shrug*
Callie and Marie are both first party and their series is represented via fighters already, this trend is among third parties that have 0 representation via characters. Not to mention Callie and Marie are always paired up together.

It's not like they can't, it's that they haven't done so yet after 9 costumes. I mean there's nothing stopping them from making Mallow and Geno Mii costumes either. Or them making a RE character and a Pokemon character playable. Or promoting AT's/Mii-costumes. But does the presumed chance of each of these get worse after each DLC Round? I'd say so.

And I mean if Fatman's costume list turns out to be true, we are getting 1 costume from major unrepresented 3rd party series that don't get characters AKA we aren't getting 2B and 9S, according to what Fatman has said, he just knows of 2B. So there's also that backing this up.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, I just bought Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga on the Wii U eShop (and yes, I really did buy something for my Wii U in 2020, thank you for asking), and I got to the part where Geno makes a cameo in a mini-game...
View attachment 279992
I also learned that said mini-game happens to be named "The Star 'Stache Smash". Coincidence? :4pacman:

Joking aside, would you be fine if, after getting into Smash, Geno made more cameos like this? I think he could be playable in spin-off games like Mario Kart, but for other games like the mainline Mario games and other series where he wouldn't be playable, I wouldn't mind if Geno kept making cameos, like being a costume for Mario to wear in Super Mario Odyssey 2, or the Geno doll being a collectible treasure/item in Pikmin 4.

A double-reveal with Geno and Doom Slayer would make me, and I imagine a lot of other people, **** my/our pants. To quote a certain nerd, "literally, **** came out our ***es and we rocketed through the roof."
Of course I would love more appearances of Geno! That's why many of us root for him to be in Smash, afterall.

While I personally think Smash is Geno's only way of coming back, I do hope if Nintendo and Square does more games like Fortune Street and Mario Sports collaborations that Geno and even Mallow are apart of them. I would also love to see Geno in Mario Kart seeing as how Mario Kart is starting to become more of a crossover racing game nowadays.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You don't play fighting games? They aren't the same series. No one that actually plays those games is going to say Samurai Shodown is literally the exact same thing as Fatal Fury or King of Fighters. King of Fighters is a crossover fighting game series featuring those casts, but saying that they're all the same series is like saying Mario and Donkey Kong are the exact same series just because they coexist and are platformers. The DOOM 1993 and 2016 comparison is also laughably bad, that's like saying Crash Bandicoot (PS1) and Crash Bandicoot (Reboot) are completely different things.

Besides it's Nintendo's words against yours, because they differentiated those series in the DLC showcase.
Hit the nail on the head. Don’t know why there’s animosity against noticing a pattern. It’s not like we’re saying it’s impossible. We’re saying it’s unlikely based on what we’ve seen so far.

Also still don’t know why people scramble to make excuses for Cacomallow. We literally have the mii costume guy saying Mallow and Smithy are costumes why do we need to hang on to this sus leak?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That’s a pretty big stretch.
There is more continuity between Art of Fighting and King of Fighters than there is between the original Doom series (1, 2, 64), Doom 3, and the new Doom series (2016, Eternal)

You don't play fighting games? They aren't the same series. No one that actually plays those games is going to say Samurai Shodown is literally the exact same thing as Fatal Fury or King of Fighters. King of Fighters is a crossover fighting game series featuring those casts, but saying that they're all the same series is like saying Mario and Donkey Kong are the exact same series just because they coexist and are platformers.

I guess any of that would be relevant if I mentioned SamSho and Fatal Fury but I didn't. Art of Fighting and King of Fighters are the same thing. They haven't made an Art of Fighting game since 1996, and all the important characters from AoF are mainstays in KoF now.

But again, if you're truly deadset on these being entirely different series (they aren't) why would they make Terry's reveal trailer a play on a King of Fighters intro, use AoF and SamSho characters in it, and then suffix it with "Smash Bros x Fatal Fury"?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There is more continuity between Art of Fighting and King of Fighters than there is between the original Doom series (1, 2, 64), Doom 3, and the new Doom series (2016, Eternal)
How to tell someone hasn’t played Doom Eternal

But again, if you're truly deadset on these being entirely different series (they aren't) why would they make Terry's reveal trailer a play on a King of Fighters intro, use AoF and SamSho characters in it, and then suffix it with "Smash Bros x Fatal Fury"?

So if we treat all the SNK characters as KoF characters, then I guess we can lump the SNK costumes in the same boat as the Persona and Dragon Quest then. Because, you know, they got playable representation therefore more costumes.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

I guess any of that would be relevant if I mentioned SamSho and Fatal Fury but I didn't. Art of Fighting and King of Fighters are the same thing. They haven't made an Art of Fighting game since 1996, and all the important characters from AoF are mainstays in KoF now.

It's pretty obvious? Literally everything Terry has is a huge homage to SNK in general, he isn't representing just his series, but all their franchises. They use a stage from KoF/trailer, and characters/music from all SNK, and it all makes sense because they can use their own crossover franchise to do it. I mean Captain Falcon hasn't had a game since 2004 and yet shows up all the time in Smash bros, yet I wouldn't associate Falcon with Mario or Zelda he's still a F-Zero character even if he just lives through a crossover game.

Again the more apt comparison is that SNK's games are somewhat like Mario and DK, I still think those series are entirely their own thing at this point, but I also understand they somewhat coexist in universe. Likewise, I wouldn't say Banjo Kazooie is the exact same series as Donkey Kong, just because they use the similar trailer as K. Rool.

Also as someone else mentioned DOOM: Eternal is canonically linked to the OG trilogy. That's a pretty big link imo.

Have we ever discussed Geno's exact height?
I'd say as tall as Ness.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
How to tell someone hasn’t played Doom Eternal
Doomguy is the grandson of Commander Keen who is the grandson of BJ Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein. This was established canon in the first few games. This can no longer be the case in Eternal because they retcon the first few Doom games as taking place in the 22nd instead of 21st century. Of course I think calling this a different series is also as ridiculous as pretending there's some vast difference between the SNK fighting games and would also be the equivalent of deciding the three branches of the Zelda timeline are completely different series, or that Geno or Paper Mario wouldn't get a Mushroom icon because they clearly exist in different Mario continuities.

So if we treat all the SNK characters as KoF characters, then I guess we can lump the SNK costumes in the same boat as the Persona and Dragon Quest then. Because, you know, they got playable representation therefore more costumes.
Or, alternately, we can stop with these fan rules that get disproven every time (and I do mean every time) and stop trying to discount any theory that doesn't fit with our own interpretations of what's going on in someone else's head

As tall as Ness

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Doomguy is the grandson of Commander Keen who is the grandson of BJ Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein. This was established canon in the first few games. This can no longer be the case in Eternal because they retcon the first few Doom games as taking place in the 22nd instead of 21st century. Of course I think calling this a different series is also as ridiculous as pretending there's some vast difference between the SNK fighting games and would also be the equivalent of deciding the three branches of the Zelda timeline are completely different series, or that Geno or Paper Mario wouldn't get a Mushroom icon because they clearly exist in different Mario continuities.

Or, alternately, we can stop with these fan rules that get disproven every time (and I do mean every time) and stop trying to discount any theory that doesn't fit with our own interpretations of what's going on in someone else's head

As tall as Ness
So what you're saying is that we should completely drop Cacomallow because it's impossible to defend and attack it using the information we have, and we won't know until it's definitively confirmed true or false? Sure, I can agree with that.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

s
Did I say it was a rule? Did I say it was impossible for us to get both Doomguy and Cacodemon? No. I said it was unlikely.
There’s a difference between making up a rule and noticing a pattern. There’s a clear pattern in how mii costumes are handled. Does this mean it’ll always be confined to this pattern? No, it doesn’t. But based on what we know, the pattern has stayed. So obviously some of us are going to point it out and be skeptical of Cacomallow. And again, the leak could very well be real. But let’s wait and see.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Regarding all this “Doom costume” discourse, I’m just considering it like so: Ubisoft explicitly got a hat and a costume. Bethesda getting a “better deal” with two full costumes instead would be a bit unfair to Ubisoft or any other company offered such a thing as well. I think it’s entirely likely that all Bethesda were offered was the single hat and costume, and that it probably was even slated for #6 if it’s existence wouldn’t have then spoiled that the leak was real, and ruin the surprise of Geno.

I'm feeling a little confident about the 27th or 8th. Probably more confident about the 3rd though. There was a 4Chan "leak" a few days ago that dropped a lot of information, including Geno, the Marios, and Hollow Knight. But they also called Persona 5 "Ultimate Edition" instead of Royal, so that kinda nixed it for most people. Although, with Royal being such an obvious thing to not get right, having an Ultimate Edition for the Switch makes it less obvious that it was made up. Everything else they called was just too easy to guess.
I’ve actually long had a theory that if P5 actually happens on Switch, and I still significantly doubt that it will, it would explicitly not be Royal, since:

A. They still have that thing with Sony where the games are practically promoted as first-party to the point where it even appeared at the PS5 event, so they’d want to keep exclusivity on the most recent of the mainline series.
B. Everything added in Royal is completely non-canon to Strikers, which actually is on Switch, so if you were to play them back-to-back you would be expected to forget the entire last third of Royal.

“Ultimate Editions” exist for both Persona 5 games and include all DLC, however Royal’s just released a few months ago and would be especially unlikely to suddenly be cut down to $60 for a Switch release, its base price is still $90. The ultimate edition of the original, however, would be an easy $60 cut because of how Royal made it redundant.

Again, though, I still heavily doubt that anything mainline Persona is happening on Switch, if not ever then for at least a few years, because of the frankly incredibly disappointing amount of people who would never even touch an SMT game if they already had Persona on the system, but could be otherwise enticed if it wasn’t due to the similarities involved.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 279992

Yeah of course. I'm not sure how likely it is of Geno appearing outside of Smash and an SMRPG remake, but it would definitely be awesome.

Imagine a Geno-themed Mario kart. It could transform into a cannon when its 3 stars light up and launch you forward.

And, on a side note, if Smithy does indeed come as a Mii costume along with Mallow that'd be awesome. I assume he'd be a swordfighter and use his hammer as a sword (Mii costumes are weird like this sometimes, in Smash 4 one Mii costume had a stick as a weapon so from there the most sense would be to make that costume a swordfighter costume).

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I think, for me, the coolest possible prospect of Geno being playable would be seeing the Super Mario RPG universe in HD 3D graphics. I've never played the game myself but so many of the enemies and characters in Super Mario RPG really pop and are just "off" enough from the regular Mario universe, while still fit in enough, to be really cool and interesting. Characters like Bowyer and Smithy almost look silly enough to fit in with Mario's style with a rugged aspect to it that makes them look unsettling enough. I hope if characters from the game are incorporated into a Super Mario RPG stage (if Geno comes lol) they don't try to clean up the designs that much and just leave them looking the way they are. I'd hate some of the characters to be retroactively changed to fit in with the current Mario universe.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I remember having discussed it before.

Geno is actually slightly taller than Mario. So I think Ness is a terrible height base to use.

Though, their in game sprites are slightly closer in height, with Geno just edging out Mario with his cap being taller than Mario's cap.

It's not regularly brought up since everyone just assumes Geno is short. He may be short, but he's still taller than Mario. Of the party members in SMRPG, he's the middle height of the group (shorter than Bowser and Peach, but taller than Mario and Mallow).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

The Nintendo store in New York is set to reopen soon but nobody knows how soon. It's agonizing but this update makes me doubt a Direct in the coming week. Don't even know how they would do the Direct with all the pandemic guidelines in place but I guess we'll eventually find out.

MisterMike

Smash Champion

The Nintendo store in New York is set to reopen soon but nobody knows how soon. It's agonizing but this update makes me doubt a Direct in the coming week. Don't even know how they would do the Direct with all the pandemic guidelines in place but I guess we'll eventually find out.
Wait, really? Well that's great to hear. So what are the odds that the reopening might coincide with a Direct that reveals the next Smash character?

vivala

Smash Journeyman

Why does that affect our chances of a direct? I know they've screened directs there, but that doesn't really affect 99% of viewers.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

This is great news! At least now if Geno gets confirmed we can have the Nintendo NY Store react to it. They are my favorite reactions so I'm glad its reopening soon.

TTF

Smash Journeyman

I've always wanted to the Nintendo Store, hopefully someday when traveling is convenient & this all settles down.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
If Nintendo has been cautious and having employees working from home and delaying presentations, I would think that even if they reopen their NYC store they wouldn’t host something that would bring people together like that. Even restaurants that have been open for a month or so now are spacing apart.

So I dunno, I don’t think the status of their NYC store would have any impact on a Direct or not.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Since the Super Mario World code leak, i colored one of the sheets of beta mario sprites, it was pretty fun
also what the heck is nintendo doing?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

It's likely we don't get anything this coming week but I don't think it has anything to do with the NY Nintendo World Store opening back up. They probably shouldn't be doing a watch party there any time soon regardless, and waiting another week or so wouldn't change that into a good idea, so it'd be odd to plan around that.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190

>The one thing I really wanted from a Geno reveal was the NYC crowd reaction
>COVID strikes, potentially making the scenario of whoever being revealed next robbed of this celebration.
>mfw it reopens just in time for the next fighter, who might just be Geno

1444183983518.gif

If the NYC Nintendo store does reopen, don't expect E3 sized crowds for a while
I'd think that the fact that so many people have been starving for any form of Direct with some meat on its bones will flock to the presentation in droves to see it in person. If the 4th of July crowds are any indication, people dgaf about distancing once the green light goes up.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I'd think that the fact that so many people have been starving for any form of Direct with some meat on its bones will flock to the presentation in droves to see it in person. If the 4th of July crowds are any indication, people dgaf about distancing once the green light goes up.
I don’t doubt that people would want to go to it, I just don’t think Nintendo would host a streaming party at this point, even if the store is open. They could easily open the store and not allow a streaming party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom