• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
So, something interesting happened: the gameplay for Cortex's stages in Crash Bandicoot 4 has been revealed

And in it, we see that Cortex's stage consists of making it to a point where he has set up a trap that Crash runs into in his own stage. And wouldn't you know it? This exact detail leaked nearly a year ago on Twitter, along with the entire basic premise of Crash 4

So, what does any of this have to do with Geno? It's the mere fact that this leak took nearly a year to come to pass (11 months technically, since the game launches in October) And hmmm, isn't there one certain thing that no one was able to definitively prove was fake or not and just kind of faded away and has been hanging in limbo?

View attachment 279965

My point is, I wouldn't rule Cacomallow out due to it's age, nor would I rule out the Mii Costume Guy list just because it's been awhile. Sometimes these things are a slow burn

Keep wishing on those stars
Looks like another point to add to The List Polarthief Polarthief
Also papagenos papagenos maybe you could cover this in the next video? Now that we have an insight on how long it took the Crash 4 rumors to be real, things are looking interesting for Geno and Doomguy.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
What the hell does Crash have to do with Cacomallow at all? There's a difference between a text leak about a year off game being right and showcasing DLC gameplay for a game 8+ months out. This doesn't suddenly make it real people.

Anyway, we are getting some WEIRD stuff in the leaks right now, I'm talking beta sprites for Mario World and stuff for Star Fox 2. I'm not going to dump the thread with it but it's really spicy stuff. Hopefully we actually get the holy grail of N64 stuff soon.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Where are these dumps coming from? You had mentioned from 2018, but why are they just surfacing now? At first I thought it was from like an eShop rip or something, but these don't sound like that.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Where are these dumps coming from? You had mentioned from 2018, but why are they just surfacing now? At first I thought it was from like an eShop rip or something, but these don't sound like that.
The TL:DR is back in 2018 a number of hacks were done and people obtained at most several terabytes of stuff from Nintendo's servers. Those people have been arrested since but what they got had been spread to several groups by that point. This is just yet another dump of that giant pool of hacked stuff.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think we're going to be looking at a Sunday announcement if we're getting a presentation this week. I decided to look into it and there's usually less notice for general Directs. For example, if a Direct is about a specific game or franchise, it's usually announced several days before but the day before if it's a hodgepodge of stuff and Nintendo wants to be ambiguous about what's actually coming.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
So if Cacomallow is true then that means Geno is FP 7 (coming with Mallow) and Doomguy is FP 8 (coming with Cacodemon)? Or at the very least they are both fighters in the pass? Either way pretty exciting stuff, though I do wonder if Doomguy would hurt the chances of other "Western" characters like Crash, Master Chief, and Steve.

Honestly speaking I 100% believe that if Doomguy really is 8, then Master Chief ain't happening.
I think we should remember that genre is seemingly as important as company for all the non-Square Enix companies' Mii costumes. The Virtua Fighter (SEGA) costumes came with Terry and not Joker, and Heihachi (Namco) came with Min Min, in these instances it's fighting game characters releasing alongside fighting game characters.

If Cacomallow is real (and it is until proven otherwise, as far as I'm concerned), it's entirely possible that the Doom costumes are slated to release alongside an FPS character, not necessarily Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think we're going to be looking at a Sunday announcement if we're getting a presentation this week. I decided to look into it and there's usually less notice for general Directs. For example, if a Direct is about a specific game or franchise, it's usually announced several days before but the day before if it's a hodgepodge of stuff and Nintendo wants to be ambiguous about what's actually coming.
This week? Don’t you mean next week? Sunday and Monday basically start the week off, not end it. They would start the week after Saturday is over.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The more I think about it I don't know. I figure that if we WERE getting a presentation soon, as in the next few weeks, wouldn't people be talking about it? Seriously, I'm pretty sure every announcement stream Nintendo has done this year was leaked well in advance by multiple people, knowing that wouldn't it be super clear if they had plans in the near future?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
The more I think about it I don't know. I figure that if we WERE getting a presentation soon, as in the next few weeks, wouldn't people be talking about it? Seriously, I'm pretty sure every announcement stream Nintendo has done this year was leaked well in advance by multiple people, knowing that wouldn't it be super clear if they had plans in the near future?
Well yeah that would have been the entire gaming industry being incredibly confused as to why the Direct we got on Monday was so lacking

MattX20

Smash Hero
and given that the Directs for the next month or so are going to be minis, that makes sense. We've got at least 2 more, possibly 3 to go if this is a breakup of the supposed E3 Direct planned

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well yeah that would have been the entire gaming industry being incredibly confused as to why the Direct we got on Monday was so lacking
I mean direct/presentation plans. People expected announcements of certain things on Monday obviously, but it's not as if they've suddenly become confident in a different date. Everyone is confused and that points to them not doing any kind of big presentation for a couple weeks, otherwise they would know.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I have always put forward with regards to the cacomallow leak is that even IF the leak was real several months back, there's no iron-clad law in the development studio saying the costumes will need to release with the challenger pack closest to the date of that leak. If anything, given that they are just special costumes for the Mii Fighters, it makes more sense to get the smaller stuff built and tested way before they're actually scheduled to release to the public. With this, they'll be ready and on the shelf waiting for their time to shine when Sakurai or the other developers consider the costumes ready for their reveal. Say they're finished and ready to go, and have been for months since the leak took place; if they were meant for, say, Fighter 7, or 8, or even 9, it makes more sense to have them ready than to wait until the last second to get them taken care of in time for the drop.

I have seen folks in various places claim the leak was fake because we would have seen the costumes by now, but, I'm more willing to believe that the majority of us simply do not know how exactly game dev operates, and these are assumptions based on logic and reasoning that we are attuned to without the experience of working in-house. And, even then, this logic could very well bend or differ just because other studios certainly may follow their own rules and standards. I won't deny that, either. However, just from a creative-worker's standpoint; For me, it seems like it's easier to get the smaller stuff taken care of at the earliest to ensure that the more serious stuff doesn't get impeded or delayed later. Knock out the small fries, leave room for the heavy lifting.

If it wasn't terribly clear by now, I stand by the viewpoint that the leak was legitimate, and that just because we have not seen the costumes drop, that does not fully dicsredit its authenticity.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I’m not expecting another fighter announcement for a while tbh. Min-Min was released less than a month ago. They said the fighters pass will end in late 2021, that’s still 18 months for 5 characters. I know y’all are thirsty but chill, and play as Min-Min. She fun-fun.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I’m not expecting another fighter announcement for a while tbh. Min-Min’s identity was revealed less than a month ago. They said the fighters pass will end in late 2021, that’s still 18 months for 5 characters. I know y’all are thirsty but chill, and play as Min-Min. She fun-fun.
She is fun, but it's not the fans Nintendo has to worry about so much as their investors and their third party partners involved in the pass. December 2021 as an end date is merely a placeholder date for legal reasons, and I don't think Nintendo will reveal all 5 remaining characters next year. More than likely, we'll see the last DLC fighter by the end of summer next year.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Going back to the talk of the prototypes from earlier and the discussion of whether or not Super Mario RPG would have anything...
20200724_144712.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just something with my first hour in SMRPG, it feels weird to use the button for the selected command. Also, for learning with the timed hits on attacks and guarding will be something to master.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I bet we will get one in a Direct around September (Nintendo’s latest statement really makes it seem like there won’t be full direct for a little while longer) and then another around December, leaving 3 for 2021.
And I would bet money they stick to that December 2021 full roll-out date.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Going back to the talk of the prototypes from earlier and the discussion of whether or not Super Mario RPG would have anything...
View attachment 279980
Oh yes!

I’m really hoping there’s some good stuff from the Mario RPG prototypes! There’s the one people already mentioned with Luigi in what looks like a dinner scene in Nimbus Land, but there’s other stuff too like here with this early Bowser’s Castle, and hopefully stuff we’ve never seen before.

It’s really rare to find a lot of beta information for any of the Mario RPGs, so let’s hope there’s some good stuff to be found.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like it would just be redundant at this point. We know a lot of big things are supposed to be coming "soonish" and it doesn't really bear repeating, especially with us now being less than a week and a half of 11 months of no general Nintendo news dump.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
With Nintendo they have been even MORE unpredictable, which is hard to believe many months ago.

As for a presentation of sorts? There has to be a something before the investors meeting. And I do think a fighter would be revealed in this mini. I know the idea of "we just got Min-Min, so it'll be awhile" which is fair, but do recall the circumstances for Min Min. FP2 was announced in January, the first fighter's SERIES was revealed in March, and the fighter was fully revealed by June. That is already HUGE gaps in time. Plus, Min Min was slated for April but was delayed for balancing (and COVID) reasons.

So what does that mean? Min Min was NOT a E3 reveal. There would have been at least one fighter (2 is also reasonable from past prescedent) for that reveal.

Of course, with the state of things, sure, there may not be a direct mini or anything until September. But I just can't shake the idea that Nintendo would still sit on their hands and tell their investors "Nothing to show yet, wait until September. But don't worry we will eventually show our plans" That just seems TOO Nintendo even for them.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think we should remember that genre is seemingly as important as company for all the non-Square Enix companies' Mii costumes. The Virtua Fighter (SEGA) costumes came with Terry and not Joker, and Heihachi (Namco) came with Min Min, in these instances it's fighting game characters releasing alongside fighting game characters.

If Cacomallow is real (and it is until proven otherwise, as far as I'm concerned), it's entirely possible that the Doom costumes are slated to release alongside an FPS character, not necessarily Doom Slayer.
The pattern has been that new (not returning) 3rd party series only get 1 mii costume, (if they don't get/have a fighter already) and that costume tends to be the major rep that people want from that series.

So for example:
Round 3:
- Goemon (Goemon)
- Sans (Undertale)

Round 4:
- Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)
- Ryo Sakazuki (Art of Fighting)
- Iori Yagami (King of Fighters)

Round 5:
- Altair (Assassin's Creed, the only "exception" to the trend that fan-demanded ones get mii costumes first as Ezio is more popular, but still close enough)
- Rabbids (Rabbids)
- Cuphead (Cuphead)

Round 6:
- Vault Boy (Fallout)

I doubt Cacodemon would show up as a mii costume unless Doomguy becomes playable. And since this huge consistent pattern shows that new franchises get to have only 1 mii costume as a "consolation", both Doomguy and Cacodemon can't happen together unless we get another DOOM character. I really doubt that Cacodemon would be the first choice of representation for DOOM in Smash. If DOOM were to get just 1 costume it would be be Doomguy (with no Cacodemon).

So the only way for CacoMallow to be real now is if Doomguy AND Geno are playable, or if for whatever dumb reason Bethesda decided to put in a Cacodemon costume instead of a Doomguy costume as their 1 consolation prize for DOOM (which I personally doubt they would).

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
The pattern has been that new (not returning) 3rd party series only get 1 mii costume, (if they don't get/have a fighter already) and that costume tends to be the major rep that people want from that series.

So for example:
Round 3:
- Goemon (Goemon)
- Sans (Undertale)

Round 4:
- Nakoruru (Samurai Shodown)

Round 5:
- Altair (Assassin's Creed, the only "exception" to the trend that fan-demanded ones get mii costumes first as Ezio is more popular, but still close enough)
- Rabbids (Rabbids)
- Cuphead (Cuphead)

Round 6:
- Vault Boy (Fallout)

I doubt Cacodemon would show up as a mii costume unless Doomguy becomes playable. And since this huge consistent pattern shows that new franchises get to have only 1 mii costume as a "consolation", both Doomguy and Cacodemon can't happen together unless we get another DOOM character.

So the only way for Cacodemon to be a mii costume is if Doomguy/Doomslayer becomes a playable character. Because I really doubt that Cacodemon would be the first choice of representation for DOOM in Smash. If DOOM were to get just 1 costume it would be be Doomguy (with no Cacodemon).

So the only way for CacoMallow to be real now is if Doomguy AND Geno are playable, or if for whatever dumb reason Bethesda decided to put in a Cacodemon costume instead of a Doomguy costume as their representation for DOOM (which I personally doubt they would).
It's always possible that Sakurai sees Cacodemons as the more iconic DOOM pick, especially considering we already have 2ish space marine helmets for mii fighters.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people are just burned out on being burned too. The dinky 10 minute video we got was originally teased back in June with weeks of people slapping their thighs in anticipation about how it was going to be "the Big One™" and then in the aftermath people like Nathan Drake were genuinely pissed, Imran Khan was deeply confused, and Kelios was basically run off the internet by assblasted Nintendo fans. Honestly, if I was a game journalist or someone who had first hand connections, I'd be too annoyed at this point to tease anything.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It's always possible that Sakurai sees Cacodemons as the more iconic DOOM pick, especially considering we already have 2ish space marine helmets for mii fighters.
If he thinks that, then I’m sorry, but he’s dumb.

The Cacodemon is an iconic enemy, yeah, but Doomguy isn’t some nobody protagonist like the Fallout MCs. He’s literally on the cover of almost every Doom game. His helmet design and armor is also far more different than the ones we have in the game. Especially if they go with the classic design.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think people are just burned out on being burned too. The dinky 10 minute video we got was originally teased back in June with weeks of people slapping their thighs in anticipation about how it was going to be "the Big One™" and then in the aftermath people like Nathan Drake were genuinely pissed, Imran Khan was deeply confused, and Kelios was basically run off the internet by assblasted Nintendo fans. Honestly, if I was a game journalist or someone who had first hand connections, I'd be too annoyed at this point to tease anything.
Nintendo dropped the ball really hard with this, and I don't think they can afford any more like this in the near future.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, what are the odds of a general Direct, or anything big being announced this a Sunday?

Droodle

Smash Lord
Yes, Cacodemon is the "mascot" of the series; but remember, Doomguy is the face of DOOM, and it's not even close. He is the most recognizable character in there by far and he is the most requested character from DOOM as well, and those characters are the ones that tend to get featured first. The only exception to this is Altair instead of Ezio but lets be honest most people recognize AC by the hood not by their actual outfits, and it's not like the demand for Ezio was vocal either. To most people, the outfit represents most AC protagonists in general rather than just Altair.

So really for Sakurai to ignore Doomguy, and put in Cacodemon as the 1 costume, he would have to;
- Ignore the most recognizable character in DOOM (which he tends to not do)
- Ignore the character from the series that people actually want playable (which he tends to not do)
- Ignore the main character from the series (which has happened with Sans, but lets be honest everyone wanted Sans over Frisk).
- Ignore the character that Bethesda wants in Smash (because Bethesda 99% would want Doomguy over Cacodemon as it's far better marketing)

Really choosing Cacodemon seems antithetical to most of Sakurai's other choices. It's a really unlikely scenario, it would be like getting something like Mugman instead of Cuphead or Shield Knight AT instead of Shovel Knight.

AKA I doubt Sakurai sees Cacodemons as being more Iconic than Doomguy. Like someone else said, he'd be dumb to do that.

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
If he thinks that, then I’m sorry, but he’s dumb.

The Cacodemon is an iconic enemy, yeah, but Doomguy isn’t some nobody protagonist like the Fallout MCs. He’s literally on the cover of almost every Doom game. His helmet design and armor is also far more different than the ones we have in the game. Especially if they go with the classic design.
Yes, Cacodemon is the "mascot" of the series; but remember, Doomguy is the face of DOOM, and it's not even close. He is the most recognizable character in there by far and he is the most requested character from DOOM as well, and those characters are the ones that tend to get featured first. The only exception to this is Altair instead of Ezio but lets be honest most people recognize AC by the hood not by their actual outfits, and it's not like the demand for Ezio was vocal either. To most people, the outfit represents most AC protagonists in general rather than just Altair.

So really for Sakurai to ignore Doomguy, and put in Cacodemon as the 1 costume, he would have to;
- Ignore the most recognizable character in DOOM (which he tends to not do)
- Ignore the character from the series that people actually want playable (which he tends to not do)
- Ignore the main character from the series (which has happened with Sans, but lets be honest everyone wanted Sans over Frisk).
- Ignore the character that Bethesda wants in Smash (because Bethesda 99% would want Doomguy over Cacodemon)

Really choosing Cacodemon seems antithetical to most of Sakurai's other choices. It's a really unlikely scenario, it would be like getting something like Mugman instead of Cuphead or Shield Knight AT instead of Shovel Knight.

AKA I doubt Sakurai sees Cacodemons as being more Iconic than Doomguy. Like someone else said, he'd be dumb to do that.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification! I'm not super into Doom, and the only things I really knew about the series for years were Doomguy and Cacodemons, so I had no idea if one was particularly more iconic than the other.

Also, I wonder if all these rom leaks will help light a fire under Nintendo's ass. You just know they hate this stuff being the big Nintendo news right now.

Last edited:

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here’s something a little random but pretty pleasing. Either today or yesterday, a Geno arrangement from KFAD finally reached 100,000 views!

At this rate with the Square-Enix Switch sale and potential for cool stuff from the Mario RPG prototypes, if we get the next character soon and it is Geno, it would be a really funny coincidence!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This SMRPG stuff is pretty interesting.

There was a conference about SMRPG before it was released and I believe Miyamoto (correct me if I'm wrong) asked the audience if they wanted the game to be like a traditional RPG (with swords and magic) or Mario-styled (with hammers and jumps).

I wonder though if this was before the game began development at all, because, otherwise, maybe we could see a glimpse of the game if they considered taking the route of a traditional RPG like Dragon Quest.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
A few things.

1. Just saw that Nintendo uploaded the Balan Wonderworld Announcement Trailer on their YouTube channel. Heh. A day after it was unveiled at the XBOX Showcase pre-show.

2. On the topic of the Cacomallow leak, the Doom Slayer or Master Chief as the FPS genre representative, I believe that the Cacomallow leak's notoriety and the fact that it has not yet been disproven, AND some leaks/rumors that go near a year back have come to fruition these past couple of days do weigh-in on Doom Slayer's favor. Not only that but between him and Master Chief, the Slayer seems more likely not only because of the DOOM franchise's legacy, but also because Master Chief is Microsoft/XBOX's mascot character AND they are a direct competitor of Nintendo (a first party). Sure, some may bring up the argument that the likes of Sonic and PAC-MAN are also in Smash, but do note that these mascots hail from third party companies (only dedicated to developing software for multiple platforms). The Halo franchise is (in essence) to Microsoft/XBOX what Super Mario is to Nintendo.

To recap some things going for the Doom Slayer as a potential fighter in the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 we've got the following:
  • DOOM games ported to the Switch last year (2019); the original trilogy
  • DOOM (2016) ported to Switch
  • CacoMallow leak popped up and to this day has yet to be disproven.
  • DOOM dev team members asked about Doom Slayer in Smash, resulting in at times ambiguous responses (no confirmations, nor deconfirmations)
  • DOOM 64 released earlier this year (March) with extra content (a new chapter)
  • DOOM Eternal Switch version release date STILL yet to be announced (this could be a surprise announcement either for the E3 content Nintendo could still have in store). It is understandable that delays in this announcement may have been due to the ongoing pandemic, and the fact that Id Software/Bethesda are Western Companies
  • The DOOM franchise's legacy in video game history as the pioneer (yet not founder) of FPS games. Such an addition would further diversify not only the Smash Bros. Ultimate roster, but also the (historic) content in the game.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Round 4:
These are the exact same series in a different timeline and if you're willing to pretend that this maintains your pattern (we love fan rules) than you could make an even more compelling argument that Cacodemon (DOOM 1993) and Doom Slayer (DOOM 2016verse) are from "different series"

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Did anyone get my last post? What are the odds of a General Direct or anything big in magnitude or even a Smash reveal being announced on Sunday at midnight?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Did anyone get my last post? What are the odds of a General Direct or anything big in magnitude or even a Smash reveal being announced on Sunday at midnight?
25-30%, I'd say. Early August seems to be shaping up to be when the good stuff is revealed.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I actually think their is a solid chance we could get a general Direct. The Switch is scheduled to have maintenance next week, and usually every time the Switch has maintenance, Nintendo drops some type of news. I also personally doubt Nintendo is just gonna leave us with third-party titles for the rest of the summer.

To answer your second question, I actually think its very likely we could get a Smash reveal. If the Polish Amiibo Leak is anything to go by, its likely that the character is ready to be released in September, since usually Amiibo rereleases happen like a week after a character releases for Smash. The "new" tab also disappeared from the Smash website, and usually when that happens, its always because a new character will be revealed very soon. That and I feel like we would be running behind if they DON'T reveal this character now. Honestly, I would be shocked if we DIDN'T get a Smash reveal.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Doesn't have to be midnight. I noticed that with Min Min they did a "reminder" tweet the day before so a Direct on Monday could be a morning or afternoon announcement too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom