• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
"Starman" by David Bowie suits him best in my opinion. Not only does the song slap, but the lyrics talk about a powerful being related to the stars waiting above for his time to shine.
Obviously.
So no new news, and we're still playing the waiting game. And every sunday at 9 pm, people will have their eyes peeled for news

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
George Harrison's My Sweet Lord also stands out. The chorus is so good.

Good taste. George was my favorite Beatle and one of my favorite musicians/songwriters of all time.

I just beat the Axem Rangers, and I just noticed something... they don't actually die on-screen. The battle ends with them all intact rather than vanishing like bosses typically do, and I guess you could say they died when the Blade blew up, but we never actually see it for ourselves.
Yeah I always thought it was weird they just all stand there till their ship.......blows up.....I never quite understand why they didn't properly vanish.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
View attachment 279937

Sakurai on Twitter 5 hours ago.

It would be nice to see The Knight and Ori premium, though I think The Knight is more likely. Both are great characters.

If any Indie could be upgraded to a Fighter, for sure maybe it’s Shovel Knight. (My favorites are Hollow and Ori, but Shovel for obvious reasons).

Lets hope for an announcement soon and Geno reveal!
I personally love Shantae and think a moveset that has animal transformations in it would be super fun. I haven't played any Shovel Knight games though, and he looks pretty neat. The Knight from Hollow Knight would also be a crazy cool character, as would Ori.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just finally actually finished SMRPG for the first time. Felt like I was standing right beside my child self watching the credits.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 279937

It would be nice to see The Knight and Ori premium, though I think The Knight is more likely. Both are great characters.

If any Indie could be upgraded to a Fighter, for sure maybe it’s Shovel Knight. (My favorites are Hollow and Ori, but Shovel for obvious reasons).

I'd like premium Mii costumes of Hat Kid and Madeline (Celeste) because I love both of those games so much. Also, they just have such great music. I mean, just listen to these. Perfect for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
View attachment 279937

Sakurai's hinting at the upcoming upgrade of an assist trophy and several Mii costumes. You heard it here first. :troll:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I just finally actually finished SMRPG for the first time. Felt like I was standing right beside my child self watching the credits.
That was basically how I felt when I completed it for the first time the night before Brawl released. It felt like a missing piece of my childhood was found

Griselda

Smash Lord
On another note, I realized that the star on Smithy's chest isn't just a part of his design, it's literally the last Star Piece that he personally had on him the whole time.

domriver

Smash Lord
I just beat the Axem Rangers, and I just noticed something... they don't actually die on-screen. The battle ends with them all intact rather than vanishing like bosses typically do, and I guess you could say they died when the Blade blew up, but we never actually see it for ourselves.
My understanding is - and I could be wrong. These bosses don't actually "die" they are just machines. As you witness in Smithy's Factory he was making more Axem rangers. I always figured they blew up with blade after you defeated all of them.

EDIT: To Further elaborate a bit. Characters such a Boomer I don't believe he was a machine. He just killed himself due to failing his master. The very short time we got to know Boomer i really enjoyed his character/personality. Queen Valentina i could be wrong but I think she was more like a side quest interjected in the MAIN quest. She wasn't really working for Smithy ( could be wrong) she had her own agenda along with her bird DODO.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I had the same thing happen to me when I finished the game.

Actually, I was literally standing right beside my child self. Time travel is weird.

domriver

Smash Lord
Smithy's army is kind of ****ed up because it's heavily implied that they have autonomy, capable of thinking for themselves and having their own personalities, but they're literally mass produced.
Agreed - I think its a safe assumption they are completely from a different dimension with good tech. For all we know Smithy could have been just the icing on the whole cake. WHY ARE THEY NOT MAKING A SEQUEL FOR THIS GAME. -.-
On a serious note - there is so much potential for a sequel for this game. Many different routes they can go about on regarding this. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Valentina and Dodo always cracked me up because for them to mistake Dodo for Mallow means the Nimbus Land are either really ****in' stupid or they just don't give a **** because they're that lax and carefree.

Valentina: "This morbidly obese toucan is your crown prince."

Nimbus Land: "That's bull**** but I believe it."

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Considering that Mallow thought that he was a frog for most of his life, and his response to arriving in a land filled with cloud people whose long-lost Prince Mallow is inexplicably a giant bird is "huh, his name's like my name! Let's go somewhere else!", I feel like everybody in Nimbus Land but Garro has their head in the clouds.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Considering that Mallow thought that he was a frog for most of his life, and his response to arriving in a land filled with cloud people whose long-lost Prince Mallow is inexplicably a giant bird is "huh, his name's like my name! Let's go somewhere else!", I feel like everybody in Nimbus Land but Garro has their head in the clouds.
An excellent pun

Griselda

Smash Lord
My understanding is - and I could be wrong. These bosses don't actually "die" they are just machines. As you witness in Smithy's Factory he was making more Axem rangers. I always figured they blew up with blade after you defeated all of them.

EDIT: To Further elaborate a bit. Characters such a Boomer I don't believe he was a machine. He just killed himself due to failing his master. The very short time we got to know Boomer i really enjoyed his character/personality. Queen Valentina i could be wrong but I think she was more like a side quest interjected in the MAIN quest. She wasn't really working for Smithy ( could be wrong) she had her own agenda along with her bird DODO.
Well, they 'die' in the sense that they are intelligent beings that get destroyed and you never face those particular models again. Said original models clearly counted as people, and at least Yaridovich and the Axem Rangers knew each other. Yaridovich's mind-read quote is "My promotion's at stake!", and while disguised as the town elder he says something to the extent of having gotten his potion by pleasing his superiors. This, at least to me, implies that he had been active for some time, if he was rising through the ranks - perhaps Smithy decides who gets mass-produced based on the original models' performance in the field.

The mass-produced Machine Mades, however, are weaker and from what I can tell less intelligent - you can read their minds, but they don't really speak to you in the same way the originals did. The Axem Machine Mades in particular move pretty oddly and robotically on the overworld, in a striking contrast to the way the originals moved when you chased them up through the volcano.

Something else that might be worth noting: it's implied that the Factory, or at least the portion of it that we get to see, was only very recently constructed, so perhaps the Smithy Gang previously operated with more unique members in smaller quantities, and only began to shift focus to mass-production of the army once they hit such heavy resistance from the Mushroom Kingdom, which they might not have faced from other worlds.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Smithy's army is kind of ****ed up because it's heavily implied that they have autonomy, capable of thinking for themselves and having their own personalities, but they're literally mass produced.
What would be the difference between them and, say, robots in Futurama though? Both get mass produced and, despite in Futurama where they blame their programming a handful of times (especially Bender since he'll do anything to get out of being responsible for stuff), both definitely have some form of autonomy (except again the handful of times where programming is blamed then suddenly autonomy is blocked or limited to some extent).

It's really interesting when you think about, because you're "killing" (the correct word being "destroying") robots/machines/whatever, but both in SMRPG and Futurama, they clearly demonstrate the ability to perceive pain and also have complex emotions that would generally not be present in any form of machine.

Also just some proof that SMRPG machines do feel pain and emotions:
- Axem Green, when defeated, says he has a headache (unless you're programmed to always feel headaches, that was definitely caused by an outside source).
- Boomer definitely feels pain when he "has an attack" (I assume heart attack? Why are they designed to be able to feel heart attacks anyway?!).
- Bowyer feels insulted when Mario and Mallow meet Geno and start talking with him right in front of his face. He also feels the fight is unfair and pulls out the buttons.
- Axem Red, when the whole party is defeated, outright says he's angry. When he's defeated before the rest of his group, he says his head is spinning, which is similar to Green's headache.
- Smithy himself with his famous Burning & Seething quote. He's definitely full of emotions. Also here's something interesting to consider: If Smithy is also a machine, who made him? I feel like that might have been a thing in SMRPG2.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
- Smithy himself with his famous Burning & Seething quote. He's definitely full of emotions. Also here's something interesting to consider: If Smithy is also a machine, who made him? I feel like that might have been a thing in SMRPG2.
The one thing that really unsettles me about the final boss is how the second phase's backgrorund is filled with Smithy heads, which implies to me that someone was attempting to mass produce Smithy himself. And since Smithy himself seemed a bit too bossy/egotistical to purposefully create something that could rival his own power, I always got the sense that there was some greater power at work there.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569

Here's the video I made! This video lists off all the reasons why I am sure Geno will get included, as well as all the things going in his favor. I'm pretty proud of this one, so I hope you all enjoy!

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Enigma, I'm sure your video is very good, but I need, need, need, you to make a thumbnail for that.

D

Deleted member

Well, they 'die' in the sense that they are intelligent beings that get destroyed and you never face those particular models again. Said original models clearly counted as people, and at least Yaridovich and the Axem Rangers knew each other. Yaridovich's mind-read quote is "My promotion's at stake!", and while disguised as the town elder he says something to the extent of having gotten his potion by pleasing his superiors. This, at least to me, implies that he had been active for some time, if he was rising through the ranks - perhaps Smithy decides who gets mass-produced based on the original models' performance in the field.

The mass-produced Machine Mades, however, are weaker and from what I can tell less intelligent - you can read their minds, but they don't really speak to you in the same way the originals did. The Axem Machine Mades in particular move pretty oddly and robotically on the overworld, in a striking contrast to the way the originals moved when you chased them up through the volcano.

Something else that might be worth noting: it's implied that the Factory, or at least the portion of it that we get to see, was only very recently constructed, so perhaps the Smithy Gang previously operated with more unique members in smaller quantities, and only began to shift focus to mass-production of the army once they hit such heavy resistance from the Mushroom Kingdom, which they might not have faced from other worlds.
This is sort of in reference to the post you were quoting, but I've got things to say about this post too, so stick with me: SMRPG doesn't make it entirely clear in narrative, but the player can pick up on the fact (especially after multiple playthroughs) that some bosses are not associated with Smithy at all, and instead have their own goals within the world. Valentina, for instance, somehow managed to usurp the throne in Nimbus Land, but wasn't really working for Smithy at all. Immediately after that story hook, Czar Dragon is basically just a monster who lives in a volcano. The star pieces landed in various locations and many of the bosses aren't even aware of their importance - in fact, Smithy's men aren't even aware until after Bowyer's arrows run back and tell him about it.

When you enter the factory and see that certain enemies are being mass produced is when you figure out that Smithy only has a handful of members in his "gang": Mack and his shy guy-like underlings, Bowyer and his arrow guys, Yaridovich who is actually 5 guys in a trenchcoat, and the Axem Rangers, along with extremely high ranking members like Boomer, Exor, Domino and Cloaker, Count Down and the factory leads (which probably were never intended to be in combat), and it's probably safe to assume all of these guys are "weapons" - robots built for battle (if you'll recall, Smithy wants to fill the world with weapons").

I always thought of the Machine Made copies as on the way to become new versions of the original - you're just catching them in the middle of production and they literally haven't even had the chance to paint the guys yet. If I had to make a fan-theory about the nature of these enemies, since they seem to be extra-dimensional conquerors, Smithy likely just brings completed versions of the weapons that served him best in whatever world they managed to overrun last, and then sets to making more as soon as he gets his factory in working order. Something like Gunyolk feels like a new prototype for a better weapon, as we never see it being mass produced, and they have it basically locked away in the deepest part of the factory with the chief himself working on it. Mario and friends basically make a tear through the world and Smithy has likely never had this kind of opposition mounted against him, especially not so quickly, so it makes sense when the bad guys tell Smithy that they just got the place put together and hadn't really finished up the foundation.

As for all of the Smithy heads and who made Smithy, I have one of two theories about that, but both are that Smithy just exists and has no creator of importance. He seems to be a machine of some sort, and has additional heads in his second form, so I just imagine he modified himself and all of the additional heads are failed attempts at better battle heads. Alternatively, Smithy reaches a new world and, assuming that its total domination will come in a matter of days or at worst weeks, begins work on a copy of himself. This copy would remain and lead the newly conquered world while the original pounds out a new Exor and travels to dominate another universe, repeating this cycle infinitely. What he stands to gain from this is questionable, but surely he simply wants every possible universe to be filled to capacity with weapons.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Ladies and gentlemen, we got the plot for SMRPG 2 (not Paper Mario 64). Smithy was only one of the generals from his mechanized world. Upon receiving word that Smithy has been defeated, the other generals and their EMPEROR decide to invade the Mushroom Kingdom in full force. This time Mario will need more than just a star messenger's help. :2gud::starman::starman::starman:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
I don't know whether or not SMRPG ROM hacks were already a thing or not, but I really hopes this buffs/spawns that community.
There's a couple that I know of: The Bob-Omb Mafia, which is an original story, and SMRPG Armageddon, which is a hard mode that adds a metric ****-ton of extra bosses.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'd like premium Mii costumes of Hat Kid and Madeline (Celeste) because I love both of those games so much. Also, they just have such great music. I mean, just listen to these. Perfect for Smash.
I see your B-Side Forsaken City and Celeste Resort and raise you B-Side Mirror Temple.

Oh holy ****, that's awesome! I wonder what kind of neat ****'s we'll find in there? Maybe we'll find the graphics of that unused Cactus enemy? That'd be pretty dope.

SMRPG aside, the Link's Awakening and Mario Kart stuff is also very interesting as well.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Ladies and gentlemen, we got the plot for SMRPG 2 (not Paper Mario 64). Smithy was only one of the generals from his mechanized world. Upon receiving word that Smithy has been defeated, the other generals and their EMPEROR decide to invade the Mushroom Kingdom in full force. This time Mario will need more than just a star messenger's help. :2gud::starman::starman::starman:
Kinda feel the same way in regards to Smithy. Although Im not sure to think he was "destroyed" There was so many Smithy Head's and ONLY Head's mind you I didn't see any body builds. Of course SMPRG2 would have been easily done. The idea that this could be an organized takeover the universe type of situation. Which is why star road only sent one of their elite warriors to help against Smithy. The other Elite (whoever they are) were probably sent to other destinations where this Smithy Gang was/has/is invading. Im enjoying this conversation. :)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
No different than any robot that Dr. Light or Dr. Wily made if you ask me

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I do have a thumbnail lol

View attachment 279950
Well to be blunt, you need a better one. This one is way too scattered and unfocused in terms of positioning. When people see this thumbnail, they won't have anything for their eyes to focus on due to there being 7 different objects all vying for that focus. Also, with everything being so small, nobody passing by will be able to notice that it's all of the biggest pieces of evidence in Geno's favor. To them, it just looks like Geno, a bunch of grey bricks, and some japanese woman trying to become an idiot sandwich.

If you'd like, I could come up with something a bit better.

D

Deleted member

Yes and no. Light and Wily's signature robots usually weren't casually rebuilt if they were destroyed. Smithy has literal assembly lines that mass produce the generals of his army.
1595606495665.png
The canon of Mega Man is questionable sometimes, but there are instances (such as Super Adventure RockMan) where the bad guy robots are rebuilt, and the original 6 masters from Mega Man 1 are shown to be alive and function to help Mega Man when he needs it most. Some mainline games, such as Mega Man 9, shows the defeated Robot Masters (who are originally Light's robots) repaired and back to their normal functions during the credits. Of course, there's always the refights in every game as well, but the general implication is that Wily doesn't rebuild his robots because they had no purpose other than beating Mega Man and, in failing, a new design is needed. It makes a lot of sense that Light would fix up his stolen creations, though.

Geno man good

Last edited by a moderator:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Well to be blunt, you need a better one. This one is way too scattered and unfocused in terms of positioning. When people see this thumbnail, they won't have anything for their eyes to focus on due to there being 7 different objects all vying for that focus. Also, with everything being so small, nobody passing by will be able to notice that it's all of the biggest pieces of evidence in Geno's favor. To them, it just looks like Geno, a bunch of grey bricks, and some japanese woman trying to become an idiot sandwich.

If you'd like, I could come up with something a bit better.
Fair enough and I appreciate the honesty. I'm pretty new to PhotoShop so I'm definitely not the best at it, but I at least think this thumbnail is a lot better then my other thumbnails. Just take a look through my channel and you will find some very attrocious thumbnails.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Kinda feel the same way in regards to Smithy. Although Im not sure to think he was "destroyed" There was so many Smithy Head's and ONLY Head's mind you I didn't see any body builds. Of course SMPRG2 would have been easily done. The idea that this could be an organized takeover the universe type of situation. Which is why star road only sent one of their elite warriors to help against Smithy. The other Elite (whoever they are) were probably sent to other destinations where this Smithy Gang was/has/is invading. Im enjoying this conversation. :)
I'd love to see SMRPG 2 be Mario's take on the gigantic, 100-hour RPG, up to and including the preposterously high stakes and fights with gods. Send us to those realms already conquered by the Smithy Gang! Let the finale be some big, over the top confrontation with the metallic god who built Smithy!

Griselda

Smash Lord
Something else to think about: The Factory is in another dimension/universe, right? And not just another planet, somewhere? ..If that's the case, then how did Exor even get into Mario's universe in order to open the gate back to Smithy's universe? Unless he can warp between universes, it's almost like a 'key behind the lock' situation.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yes and no. Light and Wily's signature robots usually weren't casually rebuilt if they were destroyed. Smithy has literal assembly lines that mass produce the generals of his army.
It depends since a lot of the canon is loose but some things imply they were preserved for other uses. Like most every set of robot master would get rebuilt except for the ones Dr. Wily himself built. (So bosses from 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 are kind of gone) Without going too much off topic, nothing in Mega Man does seem set in stone canon wise but it's safe to say that Light would at least repair/restore every destroyed robot that he and others creates. (Cossack's robots for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom