• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Banjo had a hype moveset from day 1. The fact nobody plays as him is a huge shame that I’ve never quite understood.
I know right? People say he is trash just because he doesn't have some flashy gimmick like the rest of the DLC, and I seriously hate when that is used as a factor for which character is better then which. I'm honestly glad Banjo doesn't rely so heavily on some abusable gimmick. All that matters to me is faithfulness, and boy did Sakurai NAIL that. Banjo is EXTREMELY faithful to the source material. Almost everyone of his moves is a move from his original games and it was exactly how I envisioned Banjo in my head before his reveal. Banjo is also by far the DLC character with the absolute BEST expressions. Every animation the duo has to their ledge grab, tip toe, and idle animations, all of these animations are very expressible and they all perfectly match the duo's characteristics extremely well. And don't even get me started on their stage and music.

I genuinely don't get why people are so disappointed with them. I was honestly ecstatic at just how well they were implemented in Smash, and personally, I thought Microsoft would have been greedy with their inclusion and wouldn't have allowed that much content, kinda like Final Fantasy, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how much we got. To me, it honestly feels like people just complain about Banjo to make themselves feel interesting by being in the minority of people that were genuinely happy to see the bear and bird in Smash.

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I 100%ed the original Banjo game before his release and I totally agree, his transition from that to smash is smooth like butter. The eggs, the golden wing, kazooie’s 3 face stabs as his BAir, the roll dash attack. It’s perfect. He’s an easy-going, laid-back character, so he gets an easy-going, laid-back moveset.

And also, I hear the “Banjo’s not flashy enough” argument too, and all I have to say to that is.... Golden Wing.

And and I’ve always enjoyed using “unflashy” characters because they tend to have the most seamless movesets. Some of those “flashy” moves get stale real quick.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
There are three things to be excited for:

Geno in Smash

Geno Amiibo

BestGuyEver video.
Hey, don't forget my video! I'm still planning on making a video in the style of BestGuyEver to celebrate Geno getting in.

And don't forget a TerminalMontage video!
That too.

The fact we crushed nearly 80 additional pages this past week is insane
Yeah, let's agree to never do that again... at least, until Geno gets revealed, that is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I 100%ed the original Banjo game before his release and I totally agree, his transition from that to smash is smooth like butter. The eggs, the golden wing, the kazooie’s 3 face stabs as his BAir. It’s perfect. He’s an easy going, laid-back character, so he gets an easy-going laid-back moveset.

And also, I hear the “Banjo’s not flashy enough” argument too, and all I have to say to that is.... Golden Wing.
Still though, I wish they had all their different egg types from Tooie instead of just the normal egg and the grenade egg. Imagine something like Shulk's Monado Arts in where they could choose between all the different egg types.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I know right? People say he is trash just because he doesn't have some flashy gimmick like the rest of the DLC, and I seriously hate when that is used as a factor for which character is better then which. I'm honestly glad Banjo doesn't rely so heavily on some abusable gimmick. All that matters to me is faithfulness, and boy did Sakurai NAIL that. Banjo is EXTREMELY faithful to the source material. Almost everyone of his moves is a move from his original games and it was exactly how I envisioned Banjo in my head before his reveal. Banjo is also by far the DLC character with the absolute BEST expressions. Every animation the duo has to their ledge grab, tip toe, and idle animations, all of these animations are very expressible and they all perfectly match the duo's characteristics extremely well. And don't even get me started on their stage and music.

I genuinely don't get why people are so disappointed with them. I was honestly ecstatic at just how well they were implemented in Smash, and personally, I thought Microsoft would have been greedy with their inclusion and wouldn't have allowed that much content, kinda like Final Fantasy, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how much we got. To me, it honestly feels like people just complain about Banjo to make themselves feel interesting by being in the minority of people that were genuinely happy to see the bear and bird in Smash.
I 100%ed the original Banjo game before his release and I totally agree, his transition from that to smash is smooth like butter. The eggs, the golden wing, the kazooie’s 3 face stabs as his BAir. It’s perfect. He’s an easy going, laid-back character, so he gets an easy-going laid-back moveset.

I know we're here on the Geno thread but since you guys are talking about it, I really like how Banjo and Kazooie don't seem to have "gimmicks" to them. They're made more like a character added in a prior entry, which fits perfectly because of the time they come from. When Sakurai was going over their moveset in the presentation I was glad to see that all of the moves were taken nearly directly from the games or altered, it was a really smooth transition.

To bring this back a bit to Geno, I could see him having some moves behave similarly, the specials and weapons he has in SMRPG would work great just moved over.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With 2 additional scheduled maintenance periods on next Monday and the second of August, we should probably keep an eye out for any potential midnight announcements for mini directs just in case

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I know we're here on the Geno thread but since you guys are talking about it, I really like how Banjo and Kazooie don't seem to have "gimmicks" to them. They're made more like a character added in a prior entry, which fits perfectly because of the time they come from. When Sakurai was going over their moveset in the presentation I was glad to see that all of the moves were taken nearly directly from the games or altered, it was a really smooth transition.
I’ve honestly wondered whether Sakurai designed a moveset for Banjo way back when, and simply used that for reference. Because I agree, he feels like he was designed for brawl.

Still though, I wish they had all their different egg types from Tooie instead of just the normal egg and the grenade egg. Imagine somthing like Shulk's Monado Arts in where they could choose between all the different egg types.
I disagree, the original Banjo is way superior to Tooie, and I’m glad his moveset focused mostly on that iteration. It’s the purest form of the character.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I disagree, the original Banjo is way superior to Tooie, and I’m glad his moveset focused mostly on that iteration. It’s the purest form of the character.
Tooie had some cool ideas for the bear and bird duo so I disagree. Plus I think Tooie is a better game than Kazooie despite what other people think about it like the worlds being too big or it be too dark compared to the original. Tooie was amazing sequel even if you liked Kazooie more.

Griselda

Smash Lord
When I at first glance don't appear to have a Geno hat like everyone else despite having been around for some time, now:
satsuki hat.png

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
With 2 additional scheduled maintenance periods on next Monday and the second of August, we should probably keep an eye out for any potential midnight announcements for mini directs just in case
Is this the return of Japan Tiem? Just with much more disappointment?

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
I’ve honestly wondered whether Sakurai designed a moveset for Banjo way back when, and simply used that for reference. Because I agree, he feels like he was designed for brawl.

While his moveset is incredible, there are some things they should’ve taken from Tooie. The dash attack is a big one. Tooie’s roll has much more mobility and you can immediately go into any move when you execute it. Kazooie’s is a little slower. Pack Whack could’ve also been in the moveset as an aerial. While they’re “Egg Arsenal” would be a little hard to implement in the move’s current state, fire and ice eggs could be implemented if they tweaked it a bit.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Geno and Waluigi get revealed for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. X Gon Give It To Ya plays in the background. :denzel::2gud:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace

"A-HYUK! EVENIN', THREAD!"

Quick! Someone fill me in on how Mii Costume guy relates to GENO?! What did Xbox tell us?! What's all this about Perfect Dark?! WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE?!

Tell me, damn it! I didn't sleep all afternoon just to wake up and figure things out by myself! What do you think I am, a ninny?!

YsDisciple

Smash Lord

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman

"A-HYUK! EVENIN', THREAD!"

Quick! Someone fill me in on how Mii Costume guy relates to GENO?! What did Xbox tell us?! What's all this about Perfect Dark?! WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE?!

Tell me, damn it! I didn't sleep all afternoon just to wake up and figure things out by myself! What do you think I am, a ninny?!
MCG, as I'm referring to them, said that two of the costumes would be Mallow and Smithy, IIRC--which would be silly costumes to have if Geno's also just a Mii fighter. So far, they've accurately pre-confirmed *a lot* of costumes and spirits thus far.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I know right? People say he is trash just because he doesn't have some flashy gimmick like the rest of the DLC, and I seriously hate when that is used as a factor for which character is better then which.
Banjo's fun as hell, love playing him! And I bet Geno will be equally as fun if he makes it in :)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've noticed that with game sales in the past that they typically tie into the week of an actual presentation. For example, look what happened in June:

https://www.siliconera.com/not-e3-summer-nintendo-eshop-sale-begins-today/

The sale started on what would have been Nintendo's E3 if Covid-19 wasn't the historical and metaphorical dog**** on your shoe that makes you slip and fall down a flight of stairs and out an open window onto a busy sidewalk and across the street from a daycare center with very, very large windows so literally every child inside will need therapy in 15 to 20 years but enough about what happened this morning...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'm feeling very good about next week or the following week for getting actual Nintendo content. If those weeks come and go without anything I'll just shut the **** up until late August

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
MCG, as I'm referring to them, said that two of the costumes would be Mallow and Smithy, IIRC--which would be silly costumes to have if Geno's also just a Mii fighter. So far, they've accurately pre-confirmed *a lot* of costumes and spirits thus far.
I see. However...that still doesn't confirm Geno as playable. They could have Mallow, Smithy and no Geno at all...

HNN-BLAAAARGHH!

--Sorry. Thinking about that made me puke. :(

...Anyone got a mop?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've noticed that with game sales in the past that they typically tie into the week of an actual presentation. For example, look what happened in June:

https://www.siliconera.com/not-e3-summer-nintendo-eshop-sale-begins-today/

The sale started on what would have been Nintendo's E3 if Covid-19 wasn't the historical and metaphorical dog**** on your shoe that makes you slip and fall down a flight of stairs and out an open window onto a busy sidewalk and across the street from a daycare center with very, very large windows so literally every child inside will need therapy in 15 to 20 years but enough about what happened this morning...
The Square sale, the Square amiibo releases, and the Square spirit events all together...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm feeling very good about next week or the following week for getting actual Nintendo content. If those weeks come and go without anything I'll just shut the **** up until late August
Yeah... That's the annoying thing... Nintendo has a history of major presentations in late July and early August but we're pretty much bonezoned if the week of the 3rd goes by without anything and probably waiting until September for literally anything.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling a little confident about the 27th or 8th. Probably more confident about the 3rd though. There was a 4Chan "leak" a few days ago that dropped a lot of information, including Geno, the Marios, and Hollow Knight. But they also called Persona 5 "Ultimate Edition" instead of Royal, so that kinda nixed it for most people. Although, with Royal being such an obvious thing to not get right, having an Ultimate Edition for the Switch makes it less obvious that it was made up. Everything else they called was just too easy to guess.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey

People aren't upset with Banjo because he isn't flashy. It's just because he's not fun to fight against. His kit revolves around spamming projectiles and frankly brain-dead gameplay strats like down throw and side b. He falls into the same traps that make characters like Sonic and Pac-Man annoying to fight.

Not to say you can't like playing Banjo. I personally enjoy him myself but especially among competitive players he's just a groan worthy sight because the matchup just isn't fun. And I guess that's the biggest fear with Geno, that me might end up being a lame brain-dead projectile spammer like some other characters.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Yeah... That's the annoying thing... Nintendo has a history of major presentations in late July and early August but we're pretty much bonezoned if the week of the 3rd goes by without anything and probably waiting until September for literally anything.
Nintendo's attitude of late reminds me of this classic Simpsons segment:

"And here's our three newest directs! Pokemon, Crappyer Pokemon and NEW Partner Showcase!" **they fall from an "E3" pipeline**

"We got nothin.' Happy?"
"No D:"

"Hey! This Geno speculation is kinda fun! Haha! Hahahsha--GAMESTOP WHAT--" BOOM!-"OOOOOOOWWWW!!!! X.X"

Griselda

Smash Lord
I kinda forgot but here's the finished Geno figure with his cape, along with a Tomy Sonic figure for scale. He's pretty tiny.
geno and sonic.png

And as a bonus, I also dug out my old Geno plush I made many, many years ago.
geno and geno.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This dude has to be a Geno fan. He made an entire game that looks very earthbound/undertale inspired with a little mix of rhythm heaven and the main character is a wooden doll. It's a demo, but it looks like it has a lot of potential. Idk if he is a genobro or not, but the face is pretty darn close to Geno's
Sauce:
https://mobile.twitter.com/EverhoodGame/status/1240724987104964609

View attachment 279885
Not to mention the ???? listed as his name, which feels very similar to Geno's real name of ♥♪!?.

People aren't upset with Banjo because he isn't flashy. It's just because he's not fun to fight against. His kit revolves around spamming projectiles and frankly brain-dead gameplay strats like down throw and side b. He falls into the same traps that make characters like Sonic and Pac-Man annoying to fight.

Not to say you can't like playing Banjo. I personally enjoy him myself but especially among competitive players he's just a groan worthy sight because the matchup just isn't fun. And I guess that's the biggest fear with Geno, that me might end up being a lame brain-dead projectile spammer like some other characters.
To me, I never understood how going up against a certain character is supposed to effect your enjoyment of actually playing as that character. I can pinpoint tons of characters I LOATHE going against like Ness, Ganondorf and PAC-MAN, but I can't say I don't enjoy actually playing as them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom