• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He said it was a character from a franchise revealed at the PS5 conference. Of the games that were announced at said conference, I can only think of one or two franchises that are both Sony-adjacent (as opposed to owner) and a big enough deal to keep secret. Resident Evil and Oddworld—of which there aren’t any characters with 7 letters in their names.

My original thought is actually Sony-owned even though this character does have a game on Android, so I’m retracting this character now.
Retracting? What do you mean?

Also, I doubt it would be anyone from the PS5 conference, as it could possibly be too new for Smash.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I got a lot of hate myself for talking about King K. Rool for Smash on a Facebook group. Here’s a quote from when it happened almost five years ago. Don’t listen to these trolls, they are not worth your time. They have so many things that they could be doing with their time, and they choose to spend it on making others feel bad about pointless things. You can’t feed the trolls if you don’t respond, plus the joke is on them if Geno does join Smash. Hang in there.

Since the fighter ballot is coming to an end, I decided to create a fighter ballot poll for the Chicago Smash 4 community, since I thought it would be a fun way to see which characters people would be interested in for the Chicago community. (I'm not posting the poll in here until it's over because I don't want us to skew the results.) The poll is doing great and over 90 people have voted for the character they have wanted so far.

With that said, I'm well known in the Chicago Smash 4 community for being the biggest supporter there of King K. Rool for Smash 4. However, even though a few others support him and he's currently third on the Chicago fighter ballot poll, a lot of people have antagonized me for supporting King K. Rool and they also think I'm the only one that really wants him. They've said some toxic things like "Don't support King K. Tool" and "He's an ugly character", and it's really sad to see that I have to be antagonized just for liking a character.

As a Charizard main who goes to tournaments and has a hard time making it out of pools in monthlies, I just want to play as Charizard because he's my favorite character in the game and I want to push him to the limit. King K. Rool is also one of my favorite characters in video games, and he has so many legitimate reasons to be added to Smash that it's sad when people bash on me for wanting to main him too. I don't care about character viability, but I really do wish that people would stop being so negative and closed minded on which characters they want to see in Smash.

If King K. Rool does get into Smash, then the joke is on them since I never bash anyone for their character choices no matter how ridiculous they are. Some people in Chicago think characters like Knuckles and Crono are legitimate options, and even though I and many others see how unlikely they are, I never bash on them for wanting such characters because there's no reason to put others down for having a dream character. It just creates a toxic environment and makes character speculation way less fun and productive for everyone.

Does anyone else have a local Smash community where others are so negative about your most wanted character? Because it's sad that people feel the need to yell at others for something as pity as wanting a character in a video game. If a character gets into Smash, then I feel like Sakurai has seen something in that character that makes them worthwhile to add. King K. Rool has a ton of positive things going for him, so for Sakurai to say "from here on out, it will be fan-service" and then not include such a highly demanded character as King K. Rool would be a huge slap in the face to fans. If I'm really the only person who wants King K. Rool, then why is he the most requested first-party newcomer worldwide? It's so frustrating to deal with people like that, I'll literally cry tears of joy if King K. Rool gets revealed. I and many others have been waiting for so long for King K. Rool that it's got to the point where it's been a painful process, with occurrences like the Mii costume and his "irrelavance" adding fuel to the fire. Our finest hour will come soon enough, hopefully.
Thanks man and I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wish the Smash community wasn't toxic in regards to what characters people want, because it REALLY sucks the fun out of speculation. People get so devoted to crushing people's dreams, yet people forget this is a VIDEO GAME we're talking about. I can only imagine how relieved you were once King K. Rool got revealed. I know I was when he and Banjo got revealed, and it was so satisfying to watch the detractors freak out over it.

Once Geno gets in, I seriously hope I don't have to deal with these types of people anymore

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
So, about Boshi's spirit battle. Blue Yoshi is the obvious choice for obvious reasons...
but I'm thinking they might give him Roy Koopa because of the shades. That seems like the weird sort of thing they'd do.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Retracting? What do you mean?

Also, I doubt it would be anyone from the PS5 conference, as it could possibly be too new for Smash.
This is where he said that the "Sony" Mii costume was going to be in a PS5 launch title.

By retracting, I meant that I had a guess on who the costume would be, but I'm taking it back because this character is Sony-owned, and not third party like I originally thought.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What happens when Geno gets announced is y’all better main Geno lol.

that’s what I did with Banjo. Sunk hundreds of hours into him. But now most those other people who “wanted” him never actually play as him
I LOVE Banjo in Smash.

Most common complaint: "He's annoying."

Uh, have you never played the games? Half of the appeal of the Banjo Kazooie games is them making dumbass noises the whole time while accompanied by over-the-top cartoon sound effects and seeing your parents cringe when they walk in the room.

"Hey son, what are you playing?"

*Ten year old ADHD me hopped up on Code Red Mountain Dew and black cherry Warheads turning around.*

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
agree to disagree on the characters I mentioned lol. But the furthest my ridicule would ever go is, as you just said, telling them that the character would likely never happen. I just try to be realistic in my speculation, even if it breaks a few hearts.
Alright, that’s fine.

It’s just annoying when people pretend their opinions are facts. Had to see this a lot for a good while as a Steve fan on Twitter, then some dudes complained how we’re toxic when a minority of fans in every fanbase are toxic and they were toxic to us, a majority of us just arguing how he definitely could work, be extremely unique and express himself etc. and getting tired of hearing “mii costume” over and over as if we’re not aware of the possibility and as if we’re not asking for him to be a fighter. Not near as bad or common these days thankfully but still, and of course as a Geno fan I still see more toxicity from others anyway ._.

-

Hey, Geno gets the crap mii costume argument too; we want him as a fighter, dang it, there’s no need to bring it up, to all of you out there who may. We genuinely want and care about these characters, that’s why we want them as fighters, stop pushing the miis in our faces.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
Thanks man and I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wish the Smash community wasn't toxic in regards to what characters people want, because it REALLY sucks the fun out of speculation. People get so devoted to crushing people's dreams, yet people forget this is a VIDEO GAME we're talking about. I can only imagine how relieved you were once King K. Rool got revealed. I know I was when he and Banjo got revealed, and it was so satisfying to watch the detractors freak out over it.

Once Geno gets in, I seriously hope I don't have to deal with these types of people anymore
Yess I always get insults when I post Geno stuff (you know my level of enthusiasm) on Instagram or YouTube. But I’m 30 and the people who frequently mock at me are 15 to 20 years. Do you think I care of what they say?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This is where he said that the "Sony" Mii costume was going to be in a PS5 launch title.

By retracting, I meant that I had a guess on who the costume would be, but I'm taking it back because this character is Sony-owned, and not third party like I originally thought.
Thank you for the link. I did not ask for or need that. I was fine on my own.

I still think the PS5 thing is way too new for Smash.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Can we just move on from the Mii Costume discussion? There's no real point to it since he clearly doesn't want to share it right now, and it's getting somewhat off topic.

that’s what I did with Banjo. Sunk hundreds of hours into him. But now most those other people who “wanted” him never actually play as him
It's almost like there's more to wanting a character in Smash than raw moveset potential or something. Seriously, if we just boil down each character to nothing but their core mechanics and playstyle you start getting into the territory of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite where "characters are just functions". Don't do a Marvel vs Capcom Infinite people.

Is it important for characters to have unique and interesting gameplay potential? Yes, of course. But do you think thousands of people never shut up about Banjo and Kazooie in Smash because they wanted a character who attacked with a bird on their back? Of course not, if they did they would have settled for Duck Hunt. But they didn't, because it's not BANJO. There's alot more than just the moveset, there's the design, the little touches, what stage and music they bring, what they represent and what impact they have OUTSIDE of Smash. Be honest, how many of you first found out about a franchise like Earthbound, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade through their Smash appearances. How about the fact that Smash is the entire reason Kid Icarus Uprising exists. Do you have any idea how many people I know who only tried out Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 specifically because of Smash (or, in the latter case, either playing it or constantly begging for ports). All I'm saying is that Smash is more important than just a bunch of moveset archetypes.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
No one said that the character was going to debut with the PS5--just that the character was going to have a game launch on the PS5. The character will no doubt be from an older series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yess I always get insults when I post Geno stuff (you know my level of enthusiasm) on Instagram or YouTube. But I’m 30 and the people who frequently mock at me are 15 to 20 years. Do you think I care of what they say?
That's kind of the gist of it. Being 32 and mocked by 18 year olds is weird. "Are you going to KILL yourself if Geno's not in?" Well, considering I'm 6'6, have a full head of hair, the physical fitness of a teenager, two college degrees including a Master's, am married to my college crush, no debt, some pretty cool cats, a expansive list of hobbies, professional connections to most of the non-profits in my community, a good relationship with my family and my mother in law, a half decent CD collection in my car, etc... The answer is absolutely yes.

c64.jpg

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
That's kind of the gist of it. Being 32 and mocked by 18 year olds is weird. "Are you going to KILL yourself if Geno's not in?" Well, considering I'm 6'6, have a full head of hair, the physical fitness of a teenager, two college degrees including a Master's, am married to my college crush, no debt, some pretty cool cats, a expansive list of hobbies, professional connections to most of the non-profits in my community, a good relationship with my family and my mother in law, a half decent CD collection in my car, etc... The answer is absolutely yes.

View attachment 279877
Then I guess it's a good thing he's definitely getting in, eh butthole?

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Is it important for characters to have unique and interesting gameplay potential? Yes, of course. But do you think thousands of people never shut up about Banjo and Kazooie in Smash because they wanted a character who attacked with a bird on their back? Of course not, if they did they would have settled for Duck Hunt. But they didn't, because it's not BANJO. There's alot more than just the moveset, there's the design, the little touches, what stage and music they bring, what they represent and what impact they have OUTSIDE of Smash. Be honest, how many of you first found out about a franchise like Earthbound, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade through their Smash appearances. How about the fact that Smash is the entire reason Kid Icarus Uprising exists. Do you have any idea how many people I know who only tried out Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 specifically because of Smash (or, in the latter case, either playing it or constantly begging for ports). All I'm saying is that Smash is more important than just a bunch of moveset archetypes.
This is the entire reason why my two most wanted are a protag of a certain all but dead action game and Geno

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Thanks man and I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wish the Smash community wasn't toxic in regards to the what characters people want, because it REALLY sucks the fun out of speculation. People get so devoted to crushing people's dreams, yet people forget this is a VIDEO GAME we're talking about. I can only imagine how relieved you were once King K. Rool got revealed. I know I was when he and Banjo got revealed, and it was so satisfying to watch the detractors freak out over it.

It’s okay, it made it all worth it once King K. Rool actually got into Smash. Plus, I moved from Chicago to Southern California a year after that happened, so I don’t have to deal with some of those toxic people anymore. Now that King K. Rool made it in, along with Banjo, people act like they forgot what they said about those characters and prey on different “targets”, like Geno and many others.

Unfortunately, that’s just how it goes. Nowadays, King K. Rool and Banjo’s most toxic comments stem from things like “King K. Rool is a trash bottom tier, why would anyone use him” and “Banjo is so campy, screw this character.” Sure, it’s still hard to listen to comments like that, but it’s miles better than them not being a part of the roster at all. If anything, it just makes me want to use my dream character more. It still feels surreal that others don’t know or care about the journey I had for wanting my true main. I’m proud to be a King K. Rool main, considering everything I had to go through for him to even return to any video game at all.

I really want Geno fans to get their character, because we have had multiple examples of “never-evers” making it into the roster, and Geno would prove the point even further. These trolls will never learn their lesson, and will move on towards another target, but you all would rest easy knowing that Geno would make for a great Smash character. Hopefully, Geno does become playable in Smash, and these trolls and naysayers would become nothing more than distant memories in the near future.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just so that people know what I'm talking about, I asked the Mii Costume Guy in-between if I had permission to share the following message if something came up in the X Box presentation suggesting the Perfect Dark rumors were true. Here's the original Mii Costume list I got back in December before a number of others were added by the end of the month. I decided to censor the Sony name because it's still a really cool surprise in my opinion:

View attachment 279847
I'm catching up on this thread, and I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to this Mii costume guy - what makes him a valid source of information? He got the Cuphead costume right, sure, but that was a high profile release at the start of the year, and we had just gotten Sans a few months before this message.

Maybe someone who's better versed in this whole thing can fill me in, or maybe it's better to take it to private messages to avoid derailing the thread, but I'm not sure how 1/9 of those costumes being in the game makes this person an accurate source of information. I'd understand the trust if he had guessed Vault Boy, Ninjara, or a Rabbid in addition to Cuphead, but an 11% success rate doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I could say that we're going to get Mii costumes/hats of the Knight from Hollow Knight, Mallow, the Cacodemon from Doom, Emil from Nier/Nier Automata (who, given his design allowing for a full mask like Cuphead or Sans, could come with one of the songs from that game like this, this, or this), Cynthia from Pokemon, Buck from Halo 3 ODST, Adeleine from Kirby, Dr. Cortex from Crash Bandicoot, and Knack, but if one of those happens to be right by sheer coincidence, it doesn't mean that I actually know anything about what's coming up.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm catching up on this thread, and I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to this Mii costume guy - what makes him a valid source of information? He got the Cuphead costume right, sure, but that was a high profile release at the start of the year, and we had just gotten Sans a few months before this message.

Maybe someone who's better versed in this whole thing can fill me in, or maybe it's better to take it to private messages to avoid derailing the thread, but I'm not sure how 1/9 of those costumes being in the game makes this person an accurate source of information. I'd understand the trust if he had guessed Vault Boy, Ninjara, or a Rabbid in addition to Cuphead, but an 11% success rate doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I could say that we're going to get Mii costumes/hats of the Knight from Hollow Knight, Mallow, the Cacodemon from Doom, Emil from Nier/Nier Automata (who, given his design allowing for a full mask like Cuphead or Sans, could come with one of the songs from that game like this, this, or this), Cynthia from Pokemon, Buck from Halo 3 ODST, Adeleine from Kirby, Dr. Cortex from Crash Bandicoot, and Knack, but if one of those happens to be right by sheer coincidence, it doesn't mean that I actually know anything about what's coming up.
I'll PM you.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Origami King has a softlock that once you save at that point, you have no other choice but to delete your save file and start over again:

It has something to do with saving the game after you get this VIP card and saving it in this secret area. Afterwards the game get's confused and erases your VIP card from your inventory like you never had it. Once this happens you can't progress through the game as saving here means a permanent softlock.

This reminds me of that softlock glitch that was in Skyward Sword when it was release where if you visited the Thunder Dragon first the game would get confused and think you visited the other dragons before hand thus permanent softlock.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Say what you want about Steve, I don’t think his fanbase was ever very toxic. Most people who want him understand he would be an unconventional pick.

Now I’m pretty vocally against Steve, but that has nothing to do with you. I’m not gonna call you names or call you toxic for wanting a character that I don’t. But I still don’t want him. Like at all.

Shadow Star DX

Smash Cadet
Don’t listen to these trolls, they are not worth your time. They have so many things that they could be doing with their time, and they choose to spend it on making others feel bad about pointless things. You can’t feed the trolls if you don’t respond, plus the joke is on them if Geno does join Smash. Hang in there.
I second this, to keep everyone reminded. I still see people giving into the provocation of these trolls that come here just to speak down to us so they can entertain themselves with our responses and cause chaos. We don't need to prove or explain anything to them, so don't waste your time on them.

Like I've said before, everyone: When dealing with a troll, just say

And move on.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I generally only post here. What happen after Geno gets officially announced? This thread will move to a kind of “Fighters section” conserving all comments since post #1? Or it starts a new thread with a blank file?
This thread will be moved to the Geno subforum and become a Geno social thread. The only time where this didn't happen was Hero, because there were three different threads for the character (Erdrick, the Luminary, and Eight), and merging them together would create an unreadable mess. (Piranha Plant might have been the only other time, because I don't think we had a support thread for Piranha Plant before the reveal)

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
To sum up, I’m pretty sure both things are 100% happening soon:

1) Our biggest wish granted with Geno officially being revealed as a Full Fighter after 2 decades of Epic Fan Demand. Hopefully with the number #77. The best reveal and CGI ever. Amazing music and HD design, and Sakurai explaining later all the SMRPG origins and the bridges built between Nintendo and Square those days. Also teaching us how to Play as Geno in a 35 to 45 minutes video.

2) A Giant “Shhhhh Chop” from the Big Show to all detractors. Same way as Ridley and KKR. Most notably with Cloud, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno cause they were “more impossible” for being labeled as Third Party, forgotten, irrelevant or obscure.

C26FF32E-F6ED-4193-90D8-E4806A7E9E54.jpeg

Photo edited by me. Credits to WWE I guess.

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice papagenos papagenos TerminalMontage TerminalMontage

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
When he gets revealed, there's no reason to gloat. We already won. Lording it over people, no matter how annoying and crappy they've been, won't make winning feel anymore like winning.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast

I’m not sure how many hours I’ve put in with Banjo, but I think last time I checked I’ve had 3500+ KOs with him, so that’s roughly 1500 matches or so. I’ve probably put at least a couple hundred hours. I love them, I’m not sure there’s a character out there who I could ever like more.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
(sometimes waluigi and geno fans can be toxic too tho, screaming at Sakurai for their lack of presence)
If we're splitting hairs Sakurai probably should just throw away the entire hardcore smash fanbase. No matter what aspect, there's a lot of Toxicity all over the place. (Granted, this is almost inevitable for big crossover franchises)

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
I’m not sure how many hours I’ve put in with Banjo, but I think last time I checked I’ve had 3500+ KOs with him, so that’s roughly 1500 matches or so. I’ve probably put at least a couple hundred hours. I love them, I’m not sure there’s a character out there who I could ever like more.
same dude same. My days as a Link main are over in favor of Banjo

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Say what you want about Steve, I don’t think his fanbase was ever very toxic. Most people who want him understand he would be an unconventional pick.

Now I’m pretty vocally against Steve, but that has nothing to do with you. I’m not gonna call you names or call you toxic for wanting a character that I don’t. But I still don’t want him. Like at all.
That’s fine. At first you just seemed like the people on Twitter who bug us simply because they think their opinions are the only good/right ones about the character and argue against him with poor reasons even after they get debunked, but if you simply don’t want him and aren’t obnoxious to fans like the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, then that’s perfectly fine.

It kinda felt like how people treat Geno fans tbh. Maybe Banjo-Kazooie fans too, though I didn’t experience much B-K hate as a fellow B-K fan besides a few things here and there as well as the Grotesque Steve trolls who also started harassing real Steve fans.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When he gets revealed, there's no reason to gloat. We already won. Lording it over people, no matter how annoying and crappy they've been, won't make winning feel anymore like winning.
Pretty much this. Within months people like to pretend that certain characters didn't have detractors and "OF COURSE" they were always """""""secretly"""""" rooting for them because who would DARE be so mean spirited about such a POPULAR character? "Not I" says the guy zipping up his fly after pissing on the fanbase for literal years...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
If we're splitting hairs Sakurai probably should just throw away the entire hardcore smash fanbase. No matter what aspect, there's a lot of Toxicity all over the place. (Granted, this is almost inevitable for big crossover franchises)
that basically happened a couple weeks ago lol, albeit for MUCH worse reasons. all the toxicity is trivial compared to what was ACTUALLY happening in the hardcore competitive smash world.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
That’s fine. At first you just seemed like the people on Twitter who bug us simply because they think their opinions are the only good/right ones about the character and argue against him with poor reasons even after they get debunked, but if you simply don’t want him and aren’t obnoxious to fans like the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, then that’s perfectly fine.

It kinda felt like how people treat Geno fans tbh.
sorry if you felt that way but nah. I don’t beat around the bush when it comes to my thoughts on character speculation, but I’m also not here to offend anyone. It’s all about who I think will end up in the game, nothing more.

I personally think Geno would be a great inclusion, but even if I didn’t, my comments would be directed towards the character, not his fans.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
It absolutely would be the most graceful thing to do to not gloat, but a lot of people would think that in this situation a small, appropriate amount of good-natured gloating without any unhealthy spite and giving all parties involved a chance to make amends and come together is completely reasonable.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, let's go back to the amiibo release dates and the website new tab for the fighters being removed as they've been currently the main ways to tell a fighter release is happening in the near future. Nintendo for the past few directs have been pushing their Direct Minis towards the end of the month as evidenced by March and this Monday's. Chances are we won't have to wait more than 3 weeks if the maintenance schedule and the fact we're getting more mini directs.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I LOVE Banjo in Smash.

Most common complaint: "He's annoying."

Uh, have you never played the games? Half of the appeal of the Banjo Kazooie games is them making dumbass noises the whole time while accompanied by over-the-top cartoon sound effects and seeing your parents cringe when they walk in the room.

"Hey son, what are you playing?"

*Ten year old ADHD me hopped up on Code Red Mountain Dew and black cherry Warheads turning around.*

AHA, I FINALLY CAUGHT YOU
If this story takes place in the late 90s, then you're not telling the truth because Mountain Dew Code Red was not released until 2001!
It's over Fatman, I've discovered you for the liar you truly are!

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
The way I see it, character speculation is like a competition for the last five spots. There’s gonna be characters you root for, and characters you root against. Like sports.
I may hate the New England Patriots, but that doesn’t mean I actively despise people who are Patriots fans, even if I get a little snarky towards them. It’s all fun and games.

That being said, I know there are people who take it too far and make it personal, and those people suck. And as Geno fans, I’m sure you guys have seen a lot of that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
AHA, I FINALLY CAUGHT YOU
If this story takes place in the late 90s, then you're not telling the truth because Mountain Dew Code Red was not released until 2001!
It's over Fatman, I've discovered you for the liar you truly are!
"PATHOLOGICAL LIAR Bad-Man-Not-Nice CONS MILLIONS WITH FABRICATED SOFT DRINK THROWAWAY JOKE. JONESTOWN 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO" GameFAQs, probably.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord

View attachment 279877
Nice bro, good point. Anyway he is indeed happening and you will be all that + playing as our favorite character in Smash :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom