• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will admit, I am trying to stay skeptical(Strangely it helps time speed up for me in regard to waiting among other more typical things), but I am just so confused on what else she could have meant with that statement. If you meant the costume or spirit, why wouldn't you say it in a way that befits that(As well as mention Mallow in the case of the spirit topic)?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It wouldn't be Pam Horton taking the fall for this, most likely. She had the information and likely recorded her video and meant for it to be sat on until after Geno's reveal, but because of how things ended up going with COVID, the Direct was delayed until after Paper Mario released. I'm thinking one of the GS producers takes the fall for this one, because they didn't bother to actually comb the video for major spoilers before they let it go public.

What's also interesting is that almost no one has actually seen this video whatsoever. They could unlist it now while only >1000 people have watched it and it'd probably blow over.
Point still stands. If GameStop announces a layoff within the next few days because of that video, then it's a wrap. We've won.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So guys, don't get too excited because this could easily just be a case of GameStop using a poor choice of words and really bad research on their part. I know the phrase is old at this point but: "Take it with a grain of salt" ... BUT GameStop may have made an oopsie

In one of their game overviews (Those videos they usually play in-store on those little TVs) for Origami King. They spoke about Mario RPG and how it led to Paper Mario as a series... and she says those magic words: "Everyone freaked out when Geno was announced for Smash!"

Since Covid messed everything up, its entirely possible that Geno was supposed to have been revealed by now and these being recorded in advanced with information that was supposed to go out at a certain time and yeah you see where I'm going

But again, the more likely explanation is that they just took the spirit inclusion to mean something more than it was and they just flubbed their research and used poor wording

Still.. it sure is something when even GameStop is talking about our boi
Ok, so looking at the video more, the footage used was Geno's spirit battle. Depending on whether or not she edited it herself, it may have just been a poor choice of words. I'm going to wait a bit more before celebrating

We'll have to see the fallout to determine if what she's saying was a leak. If the video is taken down that could be a sign it was real. Nintendo's response will also be telling

Very curious to see how this pans out. Fellas, we might be at the end of the road

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Leakers in 2019: Vergeben and Shinobi

Leakers in 2020: Walmart Canada and Gamestop

Yep, it's 2020 alright.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It seems that there are people who think we are losing it in another topic about this leak.

I personally would not be too sure, would you, guys?

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
As someone who works for digital video production for an (admittedly much smaller) internet platform, I sincerely doubt this is the case of something big flying under the radar after review. This kind of stuff gets QC'd and then QC'd again- they'd never let an announcement of that magnitude get accidentally leaked. I think it's just poor wording on the scriptwriter's part. Of course, given the size of the company, it's not impossible that this is a big oopsie that was passed over in multiple reviews in the hustle and bustle of COVID nonsense, but I find it really unlikely.

I'll remain hopeful, but I wouldn't get your hopes up

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It seems that there are people who think we are losing it in another topic about this leak.
I'm literally right here. :186:

The quoting is a little suspicious if she's talking about fan reception of Geno. She must really be ignorant if she's trying to talk about how fans reacted to a reveal that hasn't even happened yet.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
This is the same thing that happened with Rayman in Smash 4 when some booth worker mentioned Rayman in Smash alongside Mega Man and such, it was then revealed he was talking about the trophy in the game.

I get you guys want Geno in Smash, I get all this ****, I'm an Isaac fan and I want all the big fan groups to get their characters in. But preaching this and acting like this is a confirmation is the wrong way to act, if anything this looks like a huge reach to me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Not to tell others to hype responsibly, guys; but man, those who try to do that will have a hard time doing so as of now.

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Me and the lads on the verge of a potential Geno confirmation on July 20th.
This could be truly big. I hope it is, but you never know. I'll be wishing for the best.
Stars and puppets alike, unite! :starman:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
First of all R RetrogamerMax I'm so sorry for your loss. Best wishes to you and your family. If you need to talk feel free to PM I will always respond as quick as I can.

Now...that I am finally caught up with the thread let me respond to these posts from pages ago.

To drive the conversation past that Sweet, Sweet 3,000 marker in time for the 20th...

What would everyone like to see in a SMRPG Sequel? What would be a good arc for GENO’s triumphant return. Or if included in the mainline franchise/traditional Mario title(s), what would you like his role or contribution to be?
For a hypothetical sequel I would love for the game to have the same kind of quirkiness mixed with much darker themes than would normally be seen in a Mario game. SMRPG had this sense of wonder, immersion, urgency and peril that is very hard for games to pull off and I would want the sequel to have those same kinds of themes but pull them off differently. I really feel that they could lean more heavily into Geno and Star Hill like maybe the "higher authority" could somehow become corrupted by an unknown evil creating havoc all across the land and in Star Hill. Bowser of course would have to join the party again, but there would also have to be some new characters too to keep it fresh. Obviously some new locations and plenty of secrets and Easter eggs. Incredible and strange music. I'd like to see a more advanced magic system like maybe branching upgradable spells. I like the idea of this corrupted higher authority tho and Geno escaping Star Hill just in time to not get totally corrupted but he's partially corrupted which would lead to some interesting story moments.

I actually don't play much traditional Mario games anymore so I can't really speak to how Geno would be in there. But I would love to see him in a Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle 2 and all the spin off games.

PapaGenos is just being realistic. Nothing wrong with that. You dont have to think "Geno will 100% be in" to be a Geno fan and a Geno supporter.

Also you guys put way to much weight in Fatmans theories. There are so many video game characters out there and I always read the same characters here. The same characters Fatman is hearing from his "sources".

Example: Imo Rex & Pyra are very likely. Many people think this too. But here? I dont see people talk about them because Fatman is not talking much about them.

Rex is just an example. There are tons of other characters. Personally I think Geno will be FP9 or FP10. But the possibility of a Mii costume is also very likely. It would be a very stupid move of Nintendo/Sakurai to wait that long for heavy requested character and then just reveal him as a Mii costume, but that would not be the first time they doing something that stupid...

I usually only read here. If you dont want to have people here that are realistic or even a bit pessimistic, then say it and I will go away.
I think people here disagree with something Fatman says on a daily basis and if you've been reading then you'd know that a lot of people have put Rex in their predictions for FP2. I hope Rayman is coming but I don't think he's that likely. That being said, I agree that it is tiresome hearing the same names thrown around all the time. It's nice when people say someone like Phoenix (or one of Capcoms many other iconic characters) instead of Dante or Isaac instead of Waluigi. By all means I encourage you to stick around and contribute to driving the conversation to new topics.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
This is the same thing that happened with Rayman in Smash 4 when some booth worker mentioned Rayman in Smash alongside Mega Man and such, it was then revealed he was talking about the trophy in the game.

I get you guys want Geno in Smash, I get all this ****, I'm an Isaac fan and I want all the big fan groups to get their characters in. But preaching this and acting like this is a confirmation is the wrong way to act, if anything this looks like a huge reach to me.
We're waiting to see if anything happens first regarding this video to see if it was an accidental leak or not. Even if it turns out that wasn't the case, Geno fans still have reasons to be optimistic such as the still MIA Mii Costume, spirits no longer deconfirm thanks to MinMin, the multiple Square related Spirit events this year etc.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
Point still stands. If GameStop announces a layoff within the next few days because of that video, then it's a wrap. We've won.
They'd never publicly fire anyone before the official reveal, especially considering how soon said reveal is. They'd wait until after the Direct and fire them quietly afterwards to avoid the Streisand effect.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm literally right here. :186:

The quoting is a little suspicious if she's talking about fan reception of Geno. She must really be ignorant if she's trying to talk about how fans reacted to a reveal that hasn't even happened yet.
Where did you come from? Don't say the Newcomer thread, by the way.

I know you have a point, but I don't really think anything bad will happen if Geno is not revealed. I mean, there will be four more fighters, after all. You know, I wouldn't say you are hype policing, but I wouldn't try to worry about us and be concerned. Whatever actually does happen, that is our problem. I mean, it is not like we will be toxic here, right guys?

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
I am seriously trying to hold in my excitement right now. I really do think GameStop would be foolish enough to slip up on wording this badly.

BUT HOLY ****, I CANT HOLD IT IN THIS IS WILD!!!!

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

don't care

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
We're waiting to see if anything happens first regarding this video to see if it was an accidental leak or not. Even if it turns out that wasn't the case, Geno fans still have reasons to be optimistic such as the still MIA Mii Costume, spirits no longer deconfirm thanks to MinMin, the multiple Square related Spirit events this year etc.
I know, but some people on this thread are really overreacting to this right now.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
This meme wasn't made by me, but by my good friend Ellis on Discord, so massive props to her!

PicsArt_07-16-04.28.46.jpg

Who would've guessed GameStop of all things would've been our savior?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Where did you come from? Don't say the Newcomer thread, by the way.
Came here to voice my opinion on it.

I know you have a point, but I don't really think anything bad will happen if Geno is not revealed. I mean, there will be four more fighters, after all. You know, I wouldn't say you are hype policing, but I wouldn't try to worry about us and be concerned. Whatever actually does happen, that is our problem. I mean, it is not like we will be toxic here, right guys?
You act like I'm expecting people here to act rabidly, I was just saying that this whole event is a wild ****ing ride, man. :upsidedown:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I don’t want to get too ahead of myself; my mind is telling me this is probably just a simple scripting error, or maybe she just doesn’t care much for Smash and made an error based off of something she thought had already happened.

But my heart...

Please be real.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know, but some people on this thread are really overreacting to this right now.
We are a very eccentric bunch, to say the least.

I am personally hopeful, but I really want to see the aftermath of this video and if anythings suspicious happens.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
But where is he? I could be mistaken, but I did not see his response here.
foolish of you to think FMOI must be present to be aware of Geno news. It comes to him like a sixth sense. He knows.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Came here to voice my opinion on it.

You act like I'm expecting people here to act rabidly, I was just saying that this whole event is a wild ****ing ride, man. :upsidedown:
Sorry.

But still, you are right. Whatever happens, this WILL be one wild ride.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Oh for sure, we absolutely shouldn't be taking a victory lap yet. Though some of us (myself included) just like temporarily giving into the hype and going "HE'S IN, YEE-HAW" even if we know it's not necessarily true.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If she’s talking about any kind of reaction it’s to the Geno Mii Costume from Smash 4. I get y’all are hyped but this slight reference to Geno in Smash from a random GameStop employee is really no leak or confirmation of anything. Just take a breath guys.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If she’s talking about any kind of reaction it’s to the Geno Mii Costume from Smash 4. I get y’all are hyped but this slight reference to Geno in Smash from a random GameStop employee is really no leak or confirmation of anything. Just take a breath guys.
I guess we should do that and take a breath. Not going to be that easy, though.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, I was initially blown away by this, too, but now I'm thinking that something else needs to happen before we can call it a win. We don't know whether it'll be good news or bad news for us, but something will need to happen to prove whether it's true or not, absolutely.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If it´s legit, I think he is in either as a premium or as a fighter. Before anyone lynches me, remember that while we might be a fan of the idea, other people might be okay/happy with a premium costume, having him included in some fashion. Just look at Cuphead and Sans for example. Granted, the way it worded it, was very neutral and it could mean that we are getting the Smash 4 version, but if I had to bet money, it's a 50/50 coin-toss between playable fighter or premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom