• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
As much as I'd love to see more after the second Fighters Pass, I can't blame Sakurai for wanting to cease development. Smash Ultimate is fantastic as it is, and the 11 fighters released after launch are just icing on the cake.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
View attachment 278542

... I didn't realize I joined Nsider in July 2005... Anyways, more proof I have supported Geno forever. Also, here's me dunking on Daisy and several things that have aged, very, very poorly.
>Geno, Mega Man / X, Ridley, Vaati, Bill Cosby
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong!~
(Seriously, Vaati isn't even a bideo game character, come on son.)

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I've entertained that idea a little, to be honest. The Luigi's Mansion 3 spirits are STILL missing 9 months later and it's gotten to the point of conspicuousness that either they're specifically holding them off for "someone" or they're waiting until the one year anniversary, which makes no sense to me. If we entertain the echo idea, just for the sake of fun, what if after all this time Waluigi ended up an echo/semi clone of someone but it's a Ganondorf/Captain Falcon situation? Can you ****in' imagine?
Waluigi is an echo of Terry Bogard, wdyd

BUSTA WAH!

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Geno were confirmed to be playable, I'd never ask for another character ever again.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
what if after all this time Waluigi ended up an echo/semi clone of someone but it's a Ganondorf/Captain Falcon situation? Can you ****in' imagine?
Bayonetta. I will accept no other answers.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Waluigi is an echo of Terry Bogard, wdyd

BUSTA WAH!
It's actually kind of a running gag in the Smash community of Waluigi being an echo/semi-clone of Falcon,Ryu, or even Bayonetta so it will be funny if something similar happens. This game already has a lot of semi-clones so the concept isn't totally lost on anyone: Luigi, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf, and Isabelle.Throw in the echoes and you have a whopping 18 characters that are technically a "clone" to some extent and were decently built off someone else.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Bayonetta. I will accept no other answers.
It's actually kind of a running gag in the Smash community of Waluigi being an echo/semi-clone of Falcon,Ryu, or even Bayonetta so it will be funny if something similar happens. This game already has a lot of semi-clones so the concept isn't totally lost on anyone: Luigi, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf, and Isabelle.Throw in the echoes and you have a whopping 18 characters that are technically a "clone" to some extent and were decently built off someone else.
I mean all ****posting aside, the one issue with Waluigi as an echo is that there isn’t really anyone shaped quite like him. Bayonetta or someone might be closer than most what with his long gangly ass limbs. Really now that I think about the closest character physically is Ridley’s boney ass an-

Ridley has a new glitch as of this patch

Waluigi could use the weird gadgets from Power Tennis and Sports Mix as substitutes for wings/tail

After all the **** I got on the NSider forums when I was 13 for supporting him there now exists a possibility of Waluigi getting in Smash as an echo of my main

2B541C69-6FB6-470B-BD70-04F28E8EDB5C.jpeg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's actually kind of a running gag in the Smash community of Waluigi being an echo/semi-clone of Falcon,Ryu, or even Bayonetta so it will be funny if something similar happens. This game already has a lot of semi-clones so the concept isn't totally lost on anyone: Luigi, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu, Roy, Lucas, Toon Link, and Wolf, and Isabelle.Throw in the echoes and you have a whopping 18 characters that are technically a "clone" to some extent and were decently built off someone else.
Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Ness were also built off of characters in Smash 64 as bonus additions, similar to how the clones in Melee were added. Only Jigglypuff is really close to one of those three, though. Ness used Mario as a base, and Falcon used Samus as a base. So basically Samus also led to Ganondorf if we really go down the rabbit hole. Likewise, Mario helped created Lucas by proxy too. You can see that Mario has helped create a lot of characters, whether playable or not. Lucas is the only one who didn't use Mario as a base directly whereas a bunch of others did; Metal Mario, Luigi, Ness, Dr. Mario, Red Alloy. Did I miss anyone who directly was based off of Mario alone? I know that Primid shares a few similarities, same with Mii Brawler, but that's not the same as using him as an actual base. I'm not counting the dark variations in Brawl's SSE or the Light/Dark clones in Ultimate's Adventure Mode, as they weren't really treated like their own character at any point to my knowledge. Just that they added a few effects. I'd throw Metal Mario in that set if he was introduced in Melee, where it's just an item effect, not their own individual character slot. It goes without saying Metal Luigi and the other Metal variations count just as much as the item effect too, hence not listing them at all.

It'd be cool if we got more unique NPC clones, that said. I missed 'em since Brawl.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So imagine Geno's trailer starts off with Rosalina telling the story of Geno and SMRPG to the Lumas:

:ultrosalina:: Long ago, there was a star spirit that was sent to the Mushroom Kingdom from Star Road from a higher authority. This star spirit went into a boy's toy and took the shape of a living being after the toy become it's vessel.

The star spirit went on to help Mario save the world from a great evil terrorising the Mushroom Kingdom and their dimension. The star spirit and Mario saved the world from this great evil. Afterwards, the star spirit left as it's mission appointed to it by the higher authority was over. Or was it? 'Cues CGI trailer in the forest in World of Light.'

Mario, Peach, and Bowser are fighting for their lives against Galeem and other possessed fighters. Among these possessed fighters were Ganondorf, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Dark Samus. For a bit it is looking like the Mario crew are doing well until Galeem shows up and knocks out Bowser and Peach. Mario is standing there strong regardless of him having no chance against the threat in front of him. Galeem prepares to attack but is stopped by a laser beam out of nowhere. Mario gasps and turns around and sees Geno. The camera than fully zooms on Geno than the tagline appears "Geno Shoots For The Stars!" Cuts to gameplay. At the end of the trailer you see Galeem defeated as well as the possessed fighters and Mario , Peach, and Bowser are all smiling and cheering for Geno. They all pose with him like they do when they win a battle in SMRPG.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I must say, if Geno can't be in more future Mario games in the near future, then I would think it'd be pretty cool if Square gave Geno his own series of games where he plays the main role. I'm not sure if they would be able to do that since Geno is technically considered a Mario character, but I think it would be cool anyways

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I wonder if Nintendo's aware that quite the number of gameing news outlets, Nintendo YouTubers have been talking about the rumors of a Nintendo Direct happening on July 20th. If nothing happens on the 20th, many fans will feel disappointed and some might even go as far as to bash Nintendo for it (angry messages, tweets, etc.). Not that such reactions would have an impact on their decisions but, it does suck out the joy and illusion from fans for any Nintendo related news.

On the other hand however, for the time being it's best to enjoy the games that are out now (and will be out soon).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I must say, if Geno can't be in more future Mario games in the near future, then I would think it'd be pretty cool if Square gave Geno his own series of games where he plays the main role. I'm not sure if they would be able to do that since Geno is technically considered a Mario character, but I think it would be cool anyways
That still would seem off to me. I think the right thing to do would be to let Nintendo just have the rights. What do they have to lose by giving Geno, Mallow etc back?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I wonder if Nintendo's aware that quite the number of gameing news outlets, Nintendo YouTubers have been talking about the rumors of a Nintendo Direct happening on July 20th. If nothing happens on the 20th, many fans will feel disappointed and some might even go as far as to bash Nintendo for it (angry messages, tweets, etc.). Not that such reactions would have an impact on their decisions but, it does suck out the joy and illusion from fans for any Nintendo related news.

On the other hand however, for the time being it's best to enjoy the games that are out now (and will be out soon).
Well that all really depends on the kind of Direct we're talking here. If it's revealed to only be Mario related, I think people will go in with much lower expectations compared to if they reveal it to be a standard Direct with no set theme. The length is also a major factor, if it's 40 minutes to an hour long it'll get people believing that there'll be quite a lot of good stuff to reveal.

That still would seem off to me. I think the right thing to do would be to let Nintendo just have the rights. What do they have to lose by giving Geno, Mallow etc back?
Money.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I mean all ****posting aside, the one issue with Waluigi as an echo is that there isn’t really anyone shaped quite like him. Bayonetta or someone might be closer than most what with his long gangly ass limbs. Really now that I think about the closest character physically is Ridley’s boney ass an-

Ridley has a new glitch as of this patch

Waluigi could use the weird gadgets from Power Tennis and Sports Mix as substitutes for wings/tail

After all the **** I got on the NSider forums when I was 13 for supporting him there now exists a possibility of Waluigi getting in Smash as an echo of my main

View attachment 278549
I seriously doubt Waluigi as a true echo too. I could see him as a weird semi clone of someone kind of like how Villager and Isabelle work but no one 1:1. This is yet another angle that I see Dixie working: being a semi clone of Diddy. We've seen this concept so many times before that she'd basically be an accumulation of a number. Probably same height and weight, run speed, jump height, etc but she has a tether grab, at least one special that works nothing like Diddy's, different Smash attacks, etc. I've said it forever but Dixie and Diddy in concept is a lot like Mario and Luigi, Fox and Falco, Ness and Lucas, etc.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I do hope people understand I REALLY want Geno playable, I just have a huge target on me labeled "Geno Fan" and if he does not end up getting in smash I am going to hear about it.

I'd rather brace myself for the possibility of getting a Mii costume and try and be happy with that potential outcome, otherwise if that ends up as Geno's fate I'll be hit with not only disappointment but also the internet rubbing it in. So I mention the Mii costume possibility and preemptively give my thoughts on it as often as possible. This helps prepare myself to be "ok" with it in case it happens and also hopefully soften the backlash from the internet ( as it will be known before hand that I am ok with accepting such an outcome ).

Some times I even find myself watering down my own Geno support purposefully because I don't want to come off too biased.

I am trying to give an honest look at speculation and that can be tough to do when you strongly want a character. Geno has often been a part of smash speculation rumors/theories etc... for Smash Ultimate so its hard to avoid talking about him. Sometimes I feel like I'm mentioning him too much and try and cut back simply to keep thing level headed and fair. Maybe I sometimes avoid it too much or downplay some thing going in Genos favor too much. Again I do this simply to try and avoid coming off bias, but I'm also well aware downplaying things too much and I'm being dishonest about his chances (which are legitimately very good). It is truly a balancing act I'm trying to pull off by being a fan of Geno and also trying to not look like I'm overly bias in favor of him.

So I apologize if I have disheartened anyone by doing any of that. Truth is I think Geno has an excellent shot at becoming a playable character and I have tons of hope for him becoming one!!!
Man, you just can't win with people sometimes. Damned if you mention Geno too much, damned if you don't. Just keep doing your thing, I love your videos!

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Here's our resident Fatmanonice Fatmanonice being name-dropped 14 years ago in a Brawl character suggestion thread on Nsider

View attachment 278541
Oh, man. Geno Alliance, and especially SMRPGLegacy...that takes me back.

I haven't posted about it here, but back in the early 2000s, I ran a small site called Secrets of the Seven Stars that had guides and info for Super Mario RPG and Paper Mario. SMRPGLegacy popped up around the same time, and there was a bit of a rivalry between us. You can see a partially broken version of my site here: https://web.archive.org/web/20091019132527/http://sotss.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

1594842406341.png

Secrets of the Seven Stars went offline when GameSpy got bought up. But it was a lot of fun while it lasted. I still have all the files for the site, and I honestly will probably throw them back up online somewhere in the event Geno finally gets in Smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dukefire Dukefire regarding who will reign at the top of Smash speculation after Geno get's in, here is who I believe are the top contenders:

Isaac
Waluigi
Sora
Shantae
Bandana Dee
Dixie Kong
Shovel Knight
Bomberman
Krystal
Ashley

I didn't put Crash because I believe he is already in along with Geno. I believe Isaac will be on the popularity throne after Geno get's in since he is the most popular Brawl request aside from Geno that isn't in yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
One thing about the "clone" theory is that it basically murders the chance of any other third party characters and, realistically speaking, the 5 remaining packs are all third party. First party echoes and semi clones, probably to advertise upcoming games or even celebrate anniversaries? Absolutely. A la carte third party characters? No chance in hell. Third party characters are likely be gifted the full packs which is yet another reason I don't think the Geno fanbase has to worry about Waluigi because, if they both got in, I'm pretty positive they would be treated very differently.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One thing about the "clone" theory is that it basically murders the chance of any other third party characters and, realistically speaking, the 5 remaining packs are all third party. First party echoes and semi clones, probably to advertise upcoming games or even celebrate anniversaries? Absolutely. A la carte third party characters? No chance in hell. Third party characters are likely be gifted the full packs which is yet another reason I don't think the Geno fanbase has to worry about Waluigi because, if they both got in, I'm pretty positive they would be treated very differently.
Yep, plus there's been a lot of Square leaning stuff as of late between the last two unique spirit events involving Square IPs and that apparently the DQ hero amiibo is releasing on the same day as Joker

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If Geno was added during brawl do you think he will have the smrpg gimmick such as the timed hit? I feel He would be less creative and advanced just look at Sonic for example if he was added during this smash game as a newcomer he would be more creative or advanced than what he currently is since brawl.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If Geno was added during brawl do you think he will have the smrpg gimmick such as the timed hit? I feel He would be less creative and advanced just look at Sonic for example if he was added during this smash game as a newcomer he would be more creative or advanced than what he currently is since brawl.
Whenever he is included, my guess is that he will sort of be a "Marth" but sooner wize with the timing being his "tip"

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
As much as I'd love to see more after the second Fighters Pass, I can't blame Sakurai for wanting to cease development. Smash Ultimate is fantastic as it is, and the 11 fighters released after launch are just icing on the cake.
Same. Like every time there's literally tons of Smash content released I can't help but think, "For heaven's sake, Sakurai, please take a weekend off at least! We'll all be fine waiting so long as you don't suffocate yourself!"

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still think we may not end up getting a full character with timed hits, maybe only some moves like Smashes instead. I know people want him to have it because "it would accurately portray Mario RPG"; but in general I think timed hits are super tricky to execute properly in a fast paced game like Smash. Sure there are already characters with "timing" mechanics, but usually that is a small part of their kit. That combined with the bad netcode online and the buffer system, would make it pretty annoying to use a character that largely relies on timed hits, especially if the timing is narrow. They could broaden the timing window, but then it they would have to reduce the "power" of timed hits to compensate for it being easy to execute.

Another "wackier" idea I had is if they made Geno a more positioning oriented character. I think Geno would primarily be a character that has a good range, but they can make it so that most of his attacks have sweetspots at certain ranges, differing for each move. If you hit outside of that moves sweetspot, you wouldn't do a whole lot of damage, but if you hit that sweet spot you'd do a whole lot more. Think like Marth, but different ranges for tipper for each attack.

So for example these could be the sweet spots of certain moves:
Geno Whirl: Likely a very fast projectile, that travels a long distance. The spot should be around the end of the move, where it would deal massive damage; however, hitting near the start or the middle wouldn't deal a lot.
Geno Flash: Another projectile with a long range. This one would travel at a slow/medium speed but would likely have a larger hitbox compared to Geno Flash. However, unlike Flash the sweetspot could be around the middle of it's total range rather than at the very end.
Geno Beam: For beam, the sweetspot could be near the base of the attack with the damage dropping off the further away you get from it.

They could also use this as an excuse to make Geno an extremely fast character too. As you would need to rapidly be able to reposition yourself so that you are able to hit your sweetspots. So one second you'd be zoning with the likes of Geno Whirl, and then switching over to approaching and trying to land the Geno Beam up close.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Well, yeah, new series would be hard to represent with just a clone, but both amiibo theory and your “picks in case they do bonus characters“ lead to mostly first party, with the only exception being Sora in case Disney doesn’t even give them enough for a Challenger Pack or money could be distributed better if his pack was sold seperately iirc. Furthermore, Mii Costume theory already points to a mostly third party pass, although Ubisoft got Mii Costumes even when the pass’ character was Byleth. Honestly, it sounds more like there are more names going around than there are packs left, but I don’t think bonus interpass characters make sense outside of a one-time (or two-time with two Echoes each) Echo pack.

I personally think Waluigi isn’t as much about his moveset but moreso about his animations. His AT shows a wonderful jumping animation for example and I think those movements are more important to his vibe and character than the moves itself. Not to mention even Wario has this weird psuedo-Mario moveset inspiration in some places. Whether that’d make him a clone? No, I don’t think so, but if you say your sources heard chatter then Echoes are the only thing announced unceremoniously enough for Bonus characters to be interjected between pass characters, aside from extremely special case Piranha Plant.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
If Geno get's in, which I hope he does, I will retire my ByPlant and change my background and update my signature picture.

If only. I hope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do hope people understand I REALLY want Geno playable, I just have a huge target on me labeled "Geno Fan" and if he does not end up getting in smash I am going to hear about it.

I'd rather brace myself for the possibility of getting a Mii costume and try and be happy with that potential outcome, otherwise if that ends up as Geno's fate I'll be hit with not only disappointment but also the internet rubbing it in. So I mention the Mii costume possibility and preemptively give my thoughts on it as often as possible. This helps prepare myself to be "ok" with it in case it happens and also hopefully soften the backlash from the internet ( as it will be known before hand that I am ok with accepting such an outcome ).

Some times I even find myself watering down my own Geno support purposefully because I don't want to come off too biased.

I am trying to give an honest look at speculation and that can be tough to do when you strongly want a character. Geno has often been a part of smash speculation rumors/theories etc... for Smash Ultimate so its hard to avoid talking about him. Sometimes I feel like I'm mentioning him too much and try and cut back simply to keep thing level headed and fair. Maybe I sometimes avoid it too much or downplay some thing going in Genos favor too much. Again I do this simply to try and avoid coming off bias, but I'm also well aware downplaying things too much and I'm being dishonest about his chances (which are legitimately very good). It is truly a balancing act I'm trying to pull off by being a fan of Geno and also trying to not look like I'm overly bias in favor of him.

So I apologize if I have disheartened anyone by doing any of that. Truth is I think Geno has an excellent shot at becoming a playable character and I have tons of hope for him becoming one!!!
It’s fine papagenos you have and will always be a huge Geno fan. But if he is a Mii Costume you are prepared for that too. Regardless of what happens you have our support and we know you’ll be celebrating Geno’s arrival when he gets in. If not and it’s a Mii Costume that’s just as good and we are proud you are supporting him alongside us.

QQS

Smash Lord
Just wanted to make a virtual toast to these 3 people I admire in the Geno community:

1) Fatmanonice Fatmanonice
2) papagenos papagenos
3) TerminalMontage TerminalMontage
4) The rest and all of us

We share the same passion and have so many things in common. But thanks to specially those 3 guys, the community has reached what we see. This could end with Geno playable in Smash very soon.

I completely understand Papa’s last words about his posture also, it’s completely fair and good. For me Papa’s and Fatman are the heart of Geno in terms of Worldwide Demand, what’s have keep him alive in the scenario. Also because all of us. Fans make the show :)

For me Geno is a 100% but that’s just me and we have to respect all postures. I know that this could have consequences but this what I’m believing since the release of Ultimate DLC and what I think will happen soon.

Anyway I respect and think your chances and postures on him are more viable and healthier than mine’s.

Let’s keep the good atmosphere and believe in our Dream Character stronger than before. He is here guys and girls.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So, here's something that got revealed this morning
mario-monopoly.jpeg

A new Mario Monopoly set specifically made to celebrate the 35th anniversary. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first awknowledgment or promotional thing we've had related to said anniversary? There's been stuff like the Lego set and other merch that really implies that Nintendo is trying to push it this year, but I think this is the first real deal thing where "Yep, Mario's 35th is indeed a thing we are celebrating".

Good things be coming soon boys, I can feel it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom