• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I kinda get what you mean. Games don't pack the same punch they used to for me. I was really enjoying Ni No Kuni on the switch until I read that the second one didn't have familiars at all and it just killed my interest in the series right then and there. I guess we should just follow Liberty Mutual's advice "only pay for what you need". It doesn't help that so many modern games seem to put a majority of their budgets into creating waifus (or in Nintendo's case "innovations" dreamt up by a complete doofus) opposed to meaningful content. Modern video games are just too often the video game equivalent of pyrite looking great on the outside but once you buy it and try to use it you just feel like an idiot.
Hard disagree. Maybe in the Wii U era, but Nintendo is killing it with the switch. Mario Oddesy and Breath of the Wild were fantastic, Luigi's Mansion 3 blew the first two out of the water, FE Three Houses is the best FE game since the Tellius ones, Splatoon 2 totally recaptured the spirit of the original and established it as a franchise, Animal Crossing New Horizons is blowing people away, even if I'm not personally a fan, and of course Smash Ultimate has been the most ridiculously good smash game ever made. I know a lot of people like to bag on modern games and say they're not as good as the classics, but I say we're in a golden age of modern classics that surpass the originals.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I kinda get what you mean. Games don't pack the same punch they used to for me. I was really enjoying Ni No Kuni on the switch until I read that the second one didn't have familiars at all and it just killed my interest in the series right then and there. I guess we should just follow Liberty Mutual's advice "only pay for what you need". It doesn't help that so many modern games seem to put a majority of their budgets into creating waifus (or in Nintendo's case "innovations" dreamt up by a complete doofus) opposed to meaningful content. Modern video games are just too often the video game equivalent of pyrite looking great on the outside but once you buy it and try to use it you just feel like an idiot.
I mean, part of my gaming nature is because I started with a SNES literally for as long as I could hold the controller. I really do think I was like 2 and playing video games, so it's always gonna be a part of me and my inner childhood, but every time I play anything tabletop, I generally have a better time, though I do wonder if it's because I'm playing with people or not *shrug*. Tabletop stuff also gives you different experiences each time you play, while video games tend to give the same experience if it's not multiplayer or randomly generated, which can be amazing the first time around, though if it's not that fun the first time, chances are it won't be the other times.

But now I'm getting OT so I'll just stop here.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not to **** on the Wii U, but do you guys think the Smash Ballot might have happened because Nintendo thought the Wii U wasn't selling well enough thus most new characters from that era wouldn't be hype material for the next Smash in their eyes? Yes we got Inkling, but besides Inkling, there isn't any characters in the roster that originated from the Wii U. Most of Smash 4's newcomers were characters that either originated from the 3DS, Wii, Arcade era, Gamecube, ect and there were no Wii U newcomers. Same with Ultimate. There is more Switch characters than Wii U in the roster. Again, I'm not ******* on the Wii U but it is Nintendo's worst selling home console and Nintendo might just don't view it to the same regard it's fans do. It's a underrated console, but I'm just stating the facts here.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Not to **** on the Wii U, but do you guys think the Smash Ballot might have happened because Nintendo thought the Wii U wasn't selling well enough thus most new characters from that era wouldn't be hype material for the next Smash in their eyes? Yes we got Inkling, but besides Inkling, there isn't any characters in the roster that originated from the Wii U. Most of Smash 4's newcomers were characters that either originated from the 3DS, Wii, Arcade era, Gamecube, ect and there were no Wii U newcomers. Same with Ultimate. There is more Switch characters than Wii U in the roster. Again, I'm not ******* on the Wii U but it is Nintendo's worst selling home console and Nintendo might just don't view it to the same regard it's fans do. It's a underrated console, but I'm just stating the facts here.
What new ip even launched on wii u besides splatoon?

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
That was my point ya doofus, this ENHANCED Crash's chances. Why is there new crash merch, just like banjo got, and yet he wasnt shown in the PS5 event? People see him as the mascot of the playstation, so why was there no mention of him. I'm just saying, the patterns are there.
Crash getting new merch is not equivocal to Banjo getting new merch at all. Crash is still a pretty active character unlike Banjo who outside of ports wasn't really all that relevant, meanwhile Crash is definitely on the more popular side of things comparatively. Popular, long running series get merch all the time; meanwhile it's RARE for an inactive series to get a lot of merch, so that's definitely more on the stranger side of things (although not impossible).

That said, merch cannot be used to indicate which character will get into Smash at all. For example, Amaterasu from Okami is getting a nendroid soon; but I doubt that it's meant to be a hint for her getting into Smash. Crash's chances are the same as always, he's a huge character so he has a good shot; but he is not really "likely" at this point in time. There are a couple dozen characters that could be stated to have a "good" shot in Smash.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Wait, what? Are you sure? Because last I checked, Arms is the first and currently only Switch series with a character in Smash. Same as the Wii U with just one new IP fighter: Splatoon with Inkling. That argument doesn't make any sense.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wait, what? Are you sure? Because last I checked, Arms is the first and currently only Switch series with a character in Smash. Same as the Wii U with just one new IP fighter: Splatoon with Inkling. That argument doesn't make any sense.
Byleth and the Arms rep are our only Switch newcomers at the moment with Arms being the only original Switch IP in the roster.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
The giant tournament doesn't even end the individual regions until June 21, which is the Sunday after next. If that's truly the rationale, we aren't getting the character until the final week of June.
So I guess the "It'll be revealed in June, June 30th" joke is looking more spot on?

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Hey ya'll remember that time when Smash used to reveal stuff, kinda like "Hey, you should by this because of <insert a lot of stuff and other exciting things>? With FP2, It's more like "You should buy this ... why? Cuz Nintendo said so."

Pepperfarms remembers.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Byleth and the Arms rep are our only Switch newcomers at the moment with Arms being the only original Switch IP in the roster.
Ok, forgot Byleth was on Switch too. You have to consider that outside of Wonderful 101 and maybe Captain Toad, what else did we really have? No Kirby playformers, no super original Mario titles, almost no original IPs, and barely anything in most departments that didn't just use ideas from past games and characters. It's not like they had much to inherently pull from to begin with, which is why most of the stuff came from the also active 3DS.

Last edited:

TTF

Smash Journeyman
Makes Crash seem more likely now with the Merch dump and no new game. Very interesting indeed.
Chances are that a new game is on the way, just that it's probably multi-platform so it'll be announced between tomorrow and later in the summer.

*Have my fingers crossed for the possibility of Crash in Smash along with it*

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I guess the "It'll be revealed in June, June 30th" joke is looking more spot on?
I guess Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 was right, Nintendo does love putting Smash news or Directs near the end of the month.

Hey ya'll remember that time when Smash used to reveal stuff, kinda like "Hey, you should by this because of "insert a lot of stuff and other exciting things"? It's more like "Just buy this chump."

Pepperfarms remembers.
Isaac should be on this list as well. It's not over until he get's in too.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how you guys keep at this. The massive droughts have just made me want to pack up my things and forget all about the DLC the instant Geno gets in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know how you guys keep at this. The massive droughts have just made me want to pack up my things and forget all about the DLC the instant Geno gets in.
I'll be honest, after Geno get's in I might take a half year long break from Smashboards. I know the hype train is probably going to end with him. Of course, Crash and Chief could be getting in but I feel like Geno will be the last long heavily requested character to get into Ultimate's roster. I feel like Ridley, Simon/Richter, K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Geno is all the characters were getting from the Smash Ballot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I went to the newcomer boards to talk about my predictions. Boy am I never doing that again
Be careful, they will roast you in the newcomer thread if you make predictions about **** and don't have any evidence to back it up. They think people like Fatman are leakers when they are just people who theorycraft theories in their head along with creating theories from stuff they heard. Fatman is a theorycrafter, not a leaker. Remember that newcomer thread.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Be careful, they will roast you in the newcomer thread if you make predictions about **** and don't have any evidence to back it up. They think people like Fatman are leakers when they are just people who theorycraft theories in their head along with creating theories from stuff they heard. Fatman is a theorycrafter, not a leaker. Remember that newcomer thread.
Oh yeah I learned the hard way...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
This is why I started coming here instead of the general thread. It's not fun to discuss anything there.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hard disagree. Maybe in the Wii U era, but Nintendo is killing it with the switch. Mario Oddesy and Breath of the Wild were fantastic, Luigi's Mansion 3 blew the first two out of the water, FE Three Houses is the best FE game since the Tellius ones, Splatoon 2 totally recaptured the spirit of the original and established it as a franchise, Animal Crossing New Horizons is blowing people away, even if I'm not personally a fan, and of course Smash Ultimate has been the most ridiculously good smash game ever made. I know a lot of people like to bag on modern games and say they're not as good as the classics, but I say we're in a golden age of modern classics that surpass the originals.
That's true about the Switch having great games. Unfortunately I'm just not all that interested in a lot of them. LM3 and Three Houses are definitely phenomenal tho (altho Three Houses continues the trend of waifus and horniness that turns me off to gaming in general). Obviously Smash Ultimate is incredible. I guess it's more hit or miss than it used to be with games because stuff used to feel so new maybe? Now that series have established themselves they have to do more to keep me interested. I also just don't have time to play like I used to and really sink into the worlds. I see what you mean though and honestly I was being purposefully overdramatic anyway lol I don't really think modern games are all that bad I think I just have different interests and priorities than I used to. Like Polarthief said I'll always be a gamer it's just not as important or interesting to me anymore. I wouldn't go so far as to say that modern games are surpassing their originals in all cases but some certainly are.

But this is far off subject. Maybe Geno (and possibly Crash too!) getting in Smash and Metroid Prime 4 will renew my interest.

TTF

Smash Journeyman
I saw that happened. I'm not a fan of making broad assumptions, but from what I've seen a lot of them did not give good first impressions. :ohwell:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Honestly, speculation doesn't really stress me out. I like to speculate, but when it gets boring I just do something else. Smash isn't the only game I follow news for and video games aren't the only thing I look forward to. I'm probably never going to leave the speculation scene because I tend to have fairly little investment in who gets in as long as they're fun and interesting. If Geno gets in I'll have all of the top 5 newcomers I wanted in ultimate (Ridley, Joker, K Rool, Banjo, and of course Geno) so I really have no right to complain about who does and doesn't get added anyway.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm way too invested at this point. After people got super worried about me when I took a break in the fall, decided to keep on keepin' on for the fanbase's sake. I dunno... I still feel bad that I really wasn't there for you guys during the Smash 4 days until around the time of the Smash Ballot. This is part of why I'm here almost every day is because I want to make up for it.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
The newcomer thread used to be chill until it became full of smug posts making strawmen about the Smash fanbase and circle jerking contrarian opinions.

It's pathetic watching people feel the need to compulsively belittle others over a gaming roster in a family friendly party-fighting game. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for wanting Geno (or literally any character for that matter).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I like speculating about newcomers; it gives me a reason to look into games that I might not have played otherwise, like the Persona series, Shantae, Guilty Gear, or Xenoblade Chronicles, which helps to occupy my free time during lengthy drought periods.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The Newcomer Thread and Social Threads are the reason why I don't post anymore, because it feels like those sort of toxic folk are the accepted 'normal' and 'majority' of the site and are not people I feel comfortable around. Therefore, I don't feel okay being on the entire site as an active poster because those bad apples spoiled the bunch. I don't care if people get angry at me for saying this, too, given I'm only here to lurk and I damn well will speak up about the reason why that is. No skin off my bones if I get warned or banned for not following the accepted status quo, all on a site that I no longer have a personal attachment to.

... I do love the majority of Geno thread, though. I've had my beef many times with some of you in the past, but it's mostly been chill folk in here. Even though I don't post here apart from occasional, brutal input out of a totally barren heart of apathy, do know that I still love this thread and the regulars here.

Also, yeah, Geno4Smash, etc. I may have very, abysmally low hopes in his return, but it doesn't mean that I've stopped rooting for him all the same. I've just long given up on anything good happening in general anymore lol.

And there's my very spicy takes with no hoots given. Back into non-speaking mode I go.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I didn't see any of the condescending or uncivil behavior. The best thing to do, if people are being rude, is to report it. Let's just say mentioning it here is unnecessary. It only creates a war between threads and you don't need to say anything about it alone. It goes both ways too; the reason bad reputations exist for either thread is because people keep spreading drama around to make it that way. Just move on and report bad posts. It becomes a way friendlier set of people if you don't bring up drama.

I've seen the Newcomer Speculation Thread get bad before... but honestly? It wasn't remotely bad either. It looked a lot like fair criticism. When you make analogies, it's completely fair to analyze those and speak on them. Not all analogies are legitimate. It's common that bad ones come up. It's fair to criticize these. I'm not saying people can't get bad either. It happens. On any thread. But it won't get resolved by speaking on it. It'll get resolved because of reports. That's the only thing that works other than directly speaking to a person in a PM(and the latter is not that effective).

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I usually step back from the thread to a certain degree when there's no major news. Breaks definitely help. But in this week's case, I'm starting to go crazy since I'm anxious to know what's going on with the next characters

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
At this point, the general Smash speculation community has just turned into a mass of unwashed people clamoring over each other to call anyone "based" for ****ting on a fan request.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So I went to the newcomer boards to talk about my predictions. Boy am I never doing that again
I tried to do the same with the Geno thread and the same happened to me cause I didn't think cacomallow was real. People said my reasoning was stupid and I was accused of being a drive by troll. It put me off from posting here for a long time cause I too felt ganged up on.

That said, what happened to you wasn't all that bad. That thread can get much worse.

You should see us talk about politics! :4larry:

Not to **** on the Wii U, but do you guys think the Smash Ballot might have happened because Nintendo thought the Wii U wasn't selling well enough thus most new characters from that era wouldn't be hype material for the next Smash in their eyes?
No. It happened because there was no poll for Smash 4 when every Smash game prior (aside from the original) had a poll. Smash 4 is the anomaly as there was no poll before it and they simply used Brawl's poll.

The newcomer thread used to be chill until it became full of smug posts making strawmen about the Smash fanbase
At this point, the general Smash speculation community has just turned into a mass of unwashed people clamoring over each other to call anyone "based" for ****ting on a fan request.
Guys c'mon.

This is hypocritical don't ya think?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I mean I don't dislike the newcomer thread, I just think a lot of the takes I see and logic people pull out is questionable to say the least, there are some weird headscratchers in there. Like, it's not like I haven't seem some leaps before (this thread has several examples off the top of my head) but even 4chan seems to have better discussions when it isn't just memes than the newcomer thread where I'm constantly asking myself "Where are you even getting any of this from?".

I tried to do the same with the Geno thread and the same happened to me cause I didn't think cacomallow was real. People said my reasoning was stupid and I was accused of being a drive by troll. It put me off from posting here for a long time cause I too felt ganged up on.

That said, what happened to you wasn't all that bad. That thread can get much worse.

You should see us talk about politics! :4larry:

No. It happened because there was no poll for Smash 4 when every Smash game prior (aside from the original) had a poll. Smash 4 is the anomaly as there was no poll before it and they simply used Brawl's poll.

Guys c'mon.

This is hypocritical don't ya think?
A little bit, this thread can get pretty defensive on stupid issues, but that doesn't change the fact there's a reason most of us don't go in there anymore.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean I don't dislike the newcomer thread, I just think a lot of the takes I see and logic people pull out is questionable to say the least, there are some weird headscratchers in there. Like, it's not like I haven't seem some leaps before (this thread has several examples off the top of my head) but even 4chan seems to have better discussions when it isn't just memes than the newcomer thread where I'm constantly asking myself "Where are you even getting any of this from?".
One thing we can all agree on though.

We're all much better than twitter. :4roy:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, regardless of whatever characters we want, there's one thing we can all agree on: we're getting tired of the lack of information for the second fighter pass and we just want some reveals, a reason to actually want to buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom