• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
The newcomer thread used to be chill until it became full of smug posts making strawmen about the Smash fanbase and circle jerking contrarian opinions.

It's pathetic watching people feel the need to compulsively belittle others over a gaming roster in a family friendly party-fighting game. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for wanting Geno (or literally any character for that matter).
Exactly. Like - I just can’t imagine going into someone else’s character thread and making someone feel bad for wanting that character. Like what’s the point? Not to mention, 95% of these character choices are not influenced by the fans. Sure, we got Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo, but for every Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo, we also got a ROB, Wii Fit Trainer, and Fire Emblem Character #8193738. So I think speculation just needs to be constantly grounded - as fans we only have so much say and so much influence.

I don’t know, I just don’t see the point in taking the time and the energy to go into someone’s thread and tell them “It’s stupid that you think so-and-so has a shot of getting into Smash!”.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
and new milestone reached. I'm still thinking we'll see page 3000 after Geno's confirmation

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I tried to do the same with the Geno thread and the same happened to me cause I didn't think cacomallow was real. People said my reasoning was stupid and I was accused of being a drive by troll. It put me off from posting here for a long time cause I too felt ganged up on.

That said, what happened to you wasn't all that bad. That thread can get much worse.

You should see us talk about politics! :4larry:

No. It happened because there was no poll for Smash 4 when every Smash game prior (aside from the original) had a poll. Smash 4 is the anomaly as there was no poll before it and they simply used Brawl's poll.

Guys c'mon.

This is hypocritical don't ya think?
Yeah that sucks and I wouldn't want to force my opinion on to you if you don't think the same way. At least you were willing to have a civil conversation in that thread so you're definitely not the issue

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
and new milestone reached. I'm still thinking we'll see page 3000 after Geno's confirmation
If we get a full Nintendo Direct, I could see it happening before then. I'm sure people will be on pins and needles throughout the whole thing, if the reveals for Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie are any indication, and it will show in the amount of posts that this thread gets. (I probably should check the build-up towards other reveals, but I don't know how much anticipation there was, since some of them came out of nowhere or at the start of a Direct rather than making the fans of that character wait until the end)

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I mean, I've largely avoided the Newcomer thread these days, but that's more because I've just wanted to get a more positive vibe in general about all this, and the best way to do that would be with my most wanted character. Especially with all the chaos out there right now.

I can say with certainty both sides have been... Bad. We might be chill right now guys, but I've been on both ends. I avoided this place for months for the same reason.

Just be excellent to each other, and if you don't agree on something, move on. There's no right or wrong in speculation, that's why it's called speculation. I mean, if I'm being honest, I genuinely don't think Geno is the next fighter, but I don't wanna drag that around. Wish it wasn't easier said than done.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Guys c'mon.

This is hypocritical don't ya think?
Oh, not at all!
I take great joy in poking fun at the general community when they're constantly putting people down for wanting a funny blue puppet man (or whatever other character) in a cartoon fighting game.
But I guess it's hypocritical for me to joke about them when a member of my community has been disparaged for no good reason.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not to mention, 95% of these character choices are not influenced by the fans.
Most of the characters on the roster are included due to fans. This is very pessimistic hyperbole.

Just because a character doesn't have fan demand as their sole or primary factor doesn't mean it wasn't a part of their inclusion.

Yeah that sucks and I wouldn't want to force my opinion on to you if you don't think the same way. At least you were willing to have a civil conversation in that thread so you're definitely not the issue
Hey it wasn't even the disagreement that got me.

It was being called a troll for saying I think we should throw cacomallow out.

But hey, you seem cool.

Oh, not at all!
I take great joy in poking fun at the general community when they're constantly putting people down for wanting a funny blue puppet man (or whatever other character) in a cartoon fighting game.
But I guess it's hypocritical for me to joke about them when a member of my community has been disparaged for no good reason.
We can't control others, but we can control ourselves and how we respond to it.

Look I just don't want a feud between threads at all. Each thread is convinced the other is full of crazy bullies. We all just need some self awareness.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Most of the characters on the roster are included due to fans. This is very pessimistic hyperbole.

Just because a character doesn't have fan demand as their sole or primary factor doesn't mean it wasn't a part of their inclusion.

Hey it wasn't even the disagreement that got me.

It was being called a troll for saying I think we should throw cacomallow out.

But hey, you seem cool.

We can't control others, but we can control ourselves and how we respond to it.

Look I just don't want a feud between threads at all. Each thread is convinced the other is full of crazy bullies. We all just need some self awareness.
Whether Cacomallow is real or not, there's still a lot going on in Geno's favor as a character, so it's not a huge loss either way.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Whether Cacomallow is real or not, there's still a lot going on in Geno's favor as a character, so it's not a huge loss either way.
That's what I tried to say way back when.

Anywho, to get the thread back on track, here's a potential point in Geno's favor.

Do you remember the Square seven that Verge said? Geno was one of them, so you guys probably remember.

Well, Square has a habit of using fake information to hide real plans. For example, the Square seven was used to hide and obscure Hero. They even got really clever and included two positives (:ulthero::ulthero3:) when most people didn't think that was possible.

Why is that good for Geno? Well he was one of the names in the list, meaning Square at least knows that Geno is a name that's brought up in Smash discussion a lot.

That's not a confirmation or anything but it means Square knows about Geno's support.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
People wonder why this thread is as huge as it is, but if people stopped and think about it, it isn't that hard to see why. We can't go to any other thread without getting ridiculed and laughed at for wanting Geno in the game. This thread is like our "safe space" to avoid being called stupid for wanting one of our most wanted characters in the game.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
One of the reasons I don't really like the Newcomer Thread is because it's really hard to start a dialogue in there. It always feels like everybody is talking past eachother about 15 different topics at the same time, and if you're not directly responding to somebody in particular then nobody will hear you. It's a lot like being at a crowded house party with loud rap music blaring. Not only that, but the thread goes way too damn fast for my liking. I mean I get it, it's a relatively popular thread and as such there'll be a lot of people in there, but every day seems to go through 5-8 pages, and given how discombobulated the dialogue is there and the fact that topics get recycled pretty frequently, there ain't no goddamn way I can be assed to catch up.

Not that the dialogue in there is even worth responding to anyways. Due to there being so many people coming in and out of the thread like it's Grand Central Station, mostly casual Smashboard users who don't keep up with the current speculation and rumors, most of the posts made in there are comprised of the same lazy, misinformed and downright biased hot takes. The regulars meanwhile are equal parts decent people and inflamatory, circle-jerking, goalpost-shifting asshats who shout down dissenters en masse in order to convince themselves that their character is more likely to make it into Smash than others. With this in mind, discussions typically devolve into one side making arguments while the other plugs their ears and goes "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU SPIRITS STILL DECONFIRM".

All in all, Newcomer Thread is exhausting to stick around in long term.

GenoDab.png
WOO 2800 POSTS!!
GenoDab.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's what I tried to say way back when.

Anywho, to get the thread back on track, here's a potential point in Geno's favor.

Do you remember the Square seven that Verge said? Geno was one of them, so you guys probably remember.

Well, Square has a habit of using fake information to hide real plans. For example, the Square seven was used to hide and obscure Hero. They even got really clever and included two positives (:ulthero::ulthero3:) when most people didn't think that was possible.

Why is that good for Geno? Well he was one of the names in the list, meaning Square at least knows that Geno is a name that's brought up in Smash discussion a lot.

That's not a confirmation or anything but it means Square knows about Geno's support.
Not to mention the still MIA mii costume, the fact Cloud's amiibo is getting re-released in September (a likely release month for FP7), and the music takedowns

QQS

Smash Lord
People wonder why this thread is as huge as it is, but if people stopped and think about it, it isn't that hard to see why. We can't go to any other thread without getting ridiculed and laughed at for wanting Geno in the game. This thread is like our "safe space" to avoid being called stupid for wanting one of our most wanted characters in the game.
I can’t believe people mock to others of wanting a character. I have never played KH, DMC, Golden Sun or Tales in my life (and many others) and I still would support any power addition in Smash. The key is not giving them attention, it’s a waste of time, so absurd.

Anyway, Geno is on the top of the world in terms of requests. It’s about days to have him revealed. So let’s keep the party alive, until Geno gets confirmed and beyond!

EDIT: Sorry I think I made a double post by mistake on the same post.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's similar to what happened with Ridley in the Smash 4.

The character was both really popular and really controversial.

Things got really heated and there were a lot of pro and anti Ridley people everywhere and things got really mean. People attacked others for different opinions and insults were everywhere.

The thread eventually became a sort of social thread for Ridley supporters. The Ridley thread got raided sometimes and sometimes the Ridley thread did the stupidest things in an attempt to get back at the haters (like challenging Shokio to a mean spirited debate, and when a Ridley supporter sides with Shokio on the moral front you know things got hairy).

It was not a good time. I'm just glad their thread got chill in time for the confirmation of my personal hypest newcomer since Sonic. :ultridley:

One of the reasons I don't really like the Newcomer Thread is because it's really hard to start a dialogue in there. It always feels like everybody is talking past eachother about 15 different topics at the same time, and if you're not directly responding to somebody in particular then nobody will hear you. It's a lot like being at a crowded house party with loud rap music blaring. Not only that, but the thread goes way too damn fast for my liking. I mean I get it, it's a relatively popular thread and as such there'll be a lot of people in there, but every day seems to go through 5-8 pages, and given how discombobulated the dialogue is there and the fact that topics get recycled pretty frequently, there ain't no goddamn way I can be assed to catch up.

Not that the dialogue in there is even worth responding to anyways. Due to there being so many people coming in and out of the thread like it's Grand Central Station, mostly casual Smashboard users who don't keep up with the current speculation and rumors, most of the posts made in there are comprised of the same lazy, misinformed and downright biased hot takes. The regulars meanwhile are equal parts decent people and inflamatory, circle-jerking, goalpost-shifting asshats who shout down dissenters en masse in order to convince themselves that their character is more likely to make it into Smash than others. With this in mind, discussions typically devolve into one side making arguments while the other plugs their ears and goes "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU SPIRITS STILL DECONFIRM".

All in all, Newcomer Thread is exhausting to stick around in long term.

View attachment 274528 WOO 2800 POSTS!! View attachment 274528
That's the exact reason I dislike larger discord channels.

the fact Cloud's amiibo is getting re-released in September (a likely release month for FP7)
I don't think that one means anything tbh.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmm...did we discuss how well Geno could swim in water in certain stages?
He'd just swim normally like most characters I'd imagine.

Geno doesn't really need to swim different like R.O.B. His humanoid shape allows him to breast stroke like most other characters.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I find it so sad how it all works.

Right now the only other character I actively want beside Geno is Dante. There was a time where I went into the Dante thread and was going to show some support, around that time Fatman had gone in to that thread asking questions and sharing some Dante-related rumors he had heard and wanted to check in with them on it. (This was a while back, before the quarantine)

I watched the attitudes they used to essentially push him out of the thread with claims like "you didn't do your homework" and stuff, despite him coming in peace with the goal of potentially shared excitement. Both because he was Fatman, and because he's essentially this thread's representative. Frankly, I wasn't pleased with that. I rarely post there as a result.

If I had to look for another thread where Geno people might be welcome, it's probably the Doom Slayer thread... and even then, that's probably only because of the Cacomallow leak because if the leak is true, both Doom Slayer and Geno would be mutual beneficiaries. (If it even still matters to them, that is. I don't know if they still care like we do).

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...did we discuss how well Geno could swim in water in certain stages?
I’d like to imagine him being still and twirling like how Mario does going through the water levels in RPG, but I’m sure they’ll do something more animated

pinshadow

Smash Lord
View attachment 274529
Sakurai wouldn't add yet ANOTHER anime swordsman... Would he..?
436ypb.jpg

It really is amazing how applicable this is. He's very blatantly refering to Persona 4 Gold coming to Switch, I mean if it's coming to PC theres no way it doesn't atleast come to PS4 as well and the demand is strong enough for Switch no doubt, given it's a 2012 vita game there's no reason for it not to.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
That doesn't say anything about Smash, just hinting at it coming to Switch. Yes Sakurai would and probably will add at least one more anime swordsman, but I doubt he would double dip into a series that was already added as DLC.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly, on the Topic of an Anime Swordsman in Smash, I think FP2 might be able to get away without an "anime Swordsman". So long as Rex, Isaac, Lloyd, and Dante don't get in. Not to say they don't have their merits, and these would be hype to People, but i think Competetion really stiff this FP. may not happen

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Not only does this most likely not relate to Smash and is just hinting at Persona 4 Gold on Switch, but Persona 4 music was already added to Smash with Joker's pack.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I mean, I've largely avoided the Newcomer thread these days, but that's more because I've just wanted to get a more positive vibe in general about all this, and the best way to do that would be with my most wanted character. Especially with all the chaos out there right now.

I can say with certainty both sides have been... Bad. We might be chill right now guys, but I've been on both ends. I avoided this place for months for the same reason.

Just be excellent to each other, and if you don't agree on something, move on. There's no right or wrong in speculation, that's why it's called speculation. I mean, if I'm being honest, I genuinely don't think Geno is the next fighter, but I don't wanna drag that around. Wish it wasn't easier said than done.
Yeah, the newcomer thread had no problem accepting me after I was ganged up on in here for asking a question. No one really has the moral high ground in my experience.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Dang I wasn't expecting my throwaway comment to spark that much discussion. I just took in on and off but seeing this many familiar faces still at it makes me so happy.

To be (more) on topic: as far as anime swordsmen go, there's so many popular jrpg protag's that weild swords on the radar that I think one would be as hated as the fanbase makes it sound, so long as we don't get a fire emblem fighter.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm struggling to come up with any additional topics related to Geno at this point that aren't detail specific like reactions to fire or after losing a stamina battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom