• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
You know how in the early days of 3D consoles like PS1/Saturn/64 there was this stigma against making fully 2D games for the new generation of consoles? Like, nobody would want to buy a game that wasn't 3D because it would be 'old and outdated'? And many games that were 2D on those consoles remained Japan-exclusive because of that mindset?

..Picture a universe in which that mindset wasn't present, but instead developers/marketing/consumers are actually encouraged to continue to focus on 2D games to push them to their limits, at least in the early years of the 64. Nintendo still makes Super Mario 64 in order to show off the power of their new system, but the other Mario game that comes out is SMRPG 2. Not the half-3D Paper Mario, but SMRPG 2, because Nintendo and Square's relationship is only growing stronger and stronger, here. The game comes out with more detailed sprites and backgrounds, but the exact same 2D style presented in an isometric sort of view. For whatever reason. They don't feel confident in a fully 3D RPG so soon, they don't feel they need to try and make it 3D in the first place, etc. It's an explicit sequel and Geno returns right away, and even if he skips being a partner in one or two games in the SMRPG series that follows, he still has a presence not only in the RPG series but in other Mario spinoffs, as well. Maybe he misses Smash 64 (because almost everyone missed Smash 64, Peach and Bowser included), but he's one of the first newcomers announced in Melee, and he gets his own stage, based on whichever SMRPG installment was most recent. Mallow joins in Brawl, and some other universe-exclusive SMRPG character joins in Sm4sh. Ultimate rolls around and Boshi is an echo, but Smithy, the big bad from the original game who has grown very popular over the years, is nowhere to be seen, despite having appeared as a DLC costume in Sm4sh. The Fighters Pass comes and goes. The second one begins.

The date is 5/15/20. The 'Return of the Sinister Smith' SmashBoards thread is at over 2700 pages.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
You know how in the early days of 3D consoles like PS1/Saturn/64 there was this stigma against making fully 2D games for the new generation of consoles? Like, nobody would want to buy a game that wasn't 3D because it would be 'old and outdated'? And many games that were 2D on those consoles remained Japan-exclusive because of that mindset?

..Picture a universe in which that mindset wasn't present, but instead developers/marketing/consumers are actually encouraged to continue to focus on 2D games to push them to their limits, at least in the early years of the 64. Nintendo still makes Super Mario 64 in order to show off the power of their new system, but the other Mario game that comes out is SMRPG 2. Not the half-3D Paper Mario, but SMRPG 2, because Nintendo and Square's relationship is only growing stronger and stronger, here. The game comes out with more detailed sprites and backgrounds, but the exact same 2D style presented in an isometric sort of view. For whatever reason. They don't feel confident in a fully 3D RPG so soon, they don't feel they need to try and make it 3D in the first place, etc. It's an explicit sequel and Geno returns right away, and even if he skips being a partner in one or two games in the SMRPG series that follows, he still has a presence not only in the RPG series but in other Mario spinoffs, as well. Maybe he misses Smash 64 (because almost everyone missed Smash 64, Peach and Bowser included), but he's one of the first newcomers announced in Melee, and he gets his own stage, based on whichever SMRPG installment was most recent. Mallow joins in Brawl, and some other universe-exclusive SMRPG character joins in Sm4sh. Ultimate rolls around and Boshi is an echo, but Smithy, the big bad from the original game who has grown very popular over the years, is nowhere to be seen, despite having appeared as a DLC costume in Sm4sh. The Fighters Pass comes and goes. The second one begins.

The date is 5/15/20. The 'Return of the Sinister Smith' SmashBoards thread is at over 2700 pages.
It honestly kind of remind me on how people would be begging for Gruntilda to join the fight , if Banjo was a Nintendo character that joined the roster in brawl.

AshPeer

Smash Cadet
Woah! Been a while since I last checked the boards, lots of personal issues. That new Paper Mario game looks promising.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Of the 21 games on the classic console, only 9 haven't been added to NSO yet. We're missing:

2 Nintendo: DKC, Earthbound
2 Capcom: Street Fighter 2, Mega Man X
2 Konami: Castlevania 4, Contra 3
3 Square: SMRPG, FF 3, Secret of Mana
street fighter 2 is being sold as part of the 30th anniversary collection, megaman x is in a megaman collection
castlevania 4 is in the castlevania collection, contra 3 is in the contra collection, and secreat of mana is remade in the mana collection, so all of these are less likely to be made free, when they want you to buy them

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
street fighter 2 is being sold as part of the 30th anniversary collection, megaman x is in a megaman collection
castlevania 4 is in the castlevania collection, contra 3 is in the contra collection, and secreat of mana is remade in the mana collection, so all of these are less likely to be made free, when they want you to buy them
Here's hoping they don't want to add SMRPG because a remake is in the works
marina liteyears.jpg

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Which leaves us with DKC, Earthbound (or Mother 2), FF 3 and last and certainly not least SMRPG
I refuse to believe DKC isn't coming. It's such a big game for the SNES and it would be so odd to see it missing. Same goes for Earthbound.

This does leave us with two Square games. It's really weird how they haven't added any older FF games to Switch. They could put 3, 4, 5 and 6 on there and we'd almost have the full series! (Square are allergic to porting FF1 and FF2, FF13 is MIA for no good reason and FF15 may be too powerful for the Switch). It's a Square problem, most likely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I'm unsure if it was intended or not , it seem like they gave SMRPG a little nod in that trailer :
The year is 2020. Pandemic rages on, video game news is sparse and Animal Crossing is the only escapism many can turn to...

...Yet one Shy Guy riding in the Koopa Clown Car has come to bring us hope.

... Bowser is going to have his ass for joyriding in that thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
You know I was going to make a joke post a couple of days ago about how if Nintendo just starts shadowdropping announcements every morning it's going to turn into the Smash 4 Blog all over again except we don't even know if or when they are going to drop stuff, but now after yesterday here I am looking at Nintendo's twitter like
1536879493465.png
This is going to be a long summer isn't it.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, this extremely negative reaction I'm seeing here is what I expected from Arlo. The moment I laid eyes on the thumbnail for the trailer, my first thought was "Uh oh, a certain blue puppet's gonna blow a gasket", because Arlo is an avid Paper Mario fan who has made his displeasure with Sticker Star and Color Splash very clear, and at first glance it looked like the type of Paper Mario game that he was dreading... and then I watched the trailer itself, and I found myself kinda conflicted yet cautiously optimistic... and then Arlo put up his reaction video, and funnily enough, his reaction was more or less similar to mine...

I'm generally of the "wait and see" approach for this game, because right now I don't think we have enough info for anyone to make a firm judgement... but I will say this: the marketing for this game so far is ****ing bizarre.

There's hints that this game is indeed trying to hew closer to Paper Mario 64 and The Thousand-Year Door, such as the partners following Mario in the overworld and the battle system getting rid of stickers and cards... but the trailer shows off very little of both the partners and battle system. The only hint we have to partners being a thing in battles is a brief clip from the Chinese version of the trailer, and our only substantial showing of the battle system itself is from a 20-second gameplay clip that's completely separate from the trailer. Since the lack of partners and a poorly-built battle system were problems that fans were very vocal about, it would be very easy to drum up hype by showing off these details and how they were addressed... yet they don't show them?

I'm keeping an open mind about this game, and I suggest everyone else do so instead of just angrily jumping the gun... but I have to admit, the marketing so far isn't doing this game any favors.
Hey another follower of the "wait and see" doctrine! I'm not all alone!

On another note, those NSO games do seem like a big deal especially Panel de pon even though they're disappointing to me personally. However, I do think it's important to note that Nintendo is just kind of dropping big announcements whenever they want at this point so more NSO announcements could surprise us at any time really so I don't think we should worry. SMRPG could come at any time and even if it doesn't (hopefully it does) Geno could still be in Smash without it.

Also, could we please try to tie in discussion of Paper Mario to Geno? I know this doesn't mean a lot coming from someone who is frequently off topic himself (especially with Pokemon), but this Paper Mario news is so easy to add a quick Geno-related blurb to that it's not even funny so let's do that. I really think we should be talking about how this news helps Geno thanks to corroborating one of several standing rumors that can tie back to Geno. On that note, I'm surprised there are so many people opposed to Geno showing up in Paper Mario. I know we only want the best for our boy and this new Paper Mario does not look the best, but almost any exposure for Geno is a good thing. I agree with others saying he should be important though. A cameo like in M&L just won't cut it. He should at the very least be a notable recurring character within the game or a party member. As long as he has a relatively important role and he feels like he belongs then I say put him in any game to get more people interested in him as a character to help keep him relevant. At any rate, I think Geno can get in Smash regardless thanks to his dedicated and long standing fanbase so let's hope this is his time. Smash news in June can't come soon enough.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let's try to guess when the hypothetical Smash Direct for June takes place. My personal guess is no later than the 11th of next month

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Let's try to guess when the hypothetical Smash Direct for June takes place. My personal guess is no later than the 11th of next month
I'm thinking either it happens on the 11th and then the ARMS fighter is released on the 16th.

That or revealed and released on the 16th.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
or they just shadow drop it with no warning like paper Mario, here is your arms character trailer, and that is all

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
I feel like they're going to do a presentation livestream with Sakurai detailing the Arms character. On the date...I'd say like 2nd or 3rd week in June. The character will also release the same day as the presentation. I mean you don't want to keep the people waiting do ya?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I think it'd be a bit weird if they go further than the second week of June, so the 11th at the latest I believe. Small chance of 3rd week, and I just don't see the 4th week being a thing.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yesterday was a pretty amazing day even if some of the announcements landed on a flat note for some of you:

-Very heavy implications that we are going to get a full on Smash Direct in June.

-Paper Mario getting confirmed yesterday not only gave a huge boost to rumors from Markomaro but also major rumors from people I've associated with like Mii Costume Guy, my NoA ambassador friend, and, yes, even Sabi (credit where credit is due. They didn't break the Paper Mario story but they did break Pikmin 3 Deluxe last year, which is all but confirmed now).

-Panel de Pon getting an English release after 25 years is a pretty big deal. Not only is it a long dead Japanese exclusive franchise but an English translation request that could have been easily fulfilled as early as 2007 for the Wii that Nintendo repeatedly blew off. It's one of the more obscure ever-green fan requests which, again, supplemented by rumors since goddamn AUGUST, gets a decent amount of credibility to other long fan requests rumors and dead franchise remakes/Remasters.

I want to once again share a quote from the fall my NoA ambassador friend shared with me, Sabi, and the rest of the circle when it was still a thing: "Nintendo isn't dumb. People think they are but they know what people want and they release things when they think the time is right." I know this mentality has been a big source of my notiriety and inspiration for many-a-hate-mail but it's become harder and harder to deny as time has gone on.

"Oh wow, Nintendo remaking and remastering games people have been begging for years for."

"Oh wow, Nintendo bringing back franchises they haven't touched in forever."

"Oh wow, almost all the Smash characters that come up in insider circles have 10/15/20 years of fan demand behind them."

Nintendo has barely gotten started and we already have:

-A Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remaster.

-A metric ****-ton of Mario Maker options that fans have been asking for since the first game.

-Very heavily supplemented rumors that we're not only getting 3D Mario remasters but the first 2D Metroid console game in 26 years.

-Panel de Pon getting an English translation after 25 years.

We essentially have 16 weeks left of "summer" and "E3" announcements according to Geoff so, yes, we may be in for a long summer but perhaps in the best of ways.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Still rummaging about with the PM:TOK trailer and Nintendo site, AND now deleted Chinese trailer, I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Note the game's banner as shown on the Nintendo site.

Let's say that as the site states that Mario will team up with "unlikely allies", which from the banner most of them are Bowser's minions, Bowser Jr. and Toad; the characters shown on the left of the banner are Mario's partners (or part of them cause, Magikoopa could also be seen following Mario around in part of the trailer). Now, this is where the Chinese trailer comes in. The Chinese trailer showed combat at one point, and within the fight, a Toad with an explorer outfit could be seen right next to Mario as he jumped on some enemies.

The Toad was wearing an explorer suit. Now, I've seen around that some have expressed disappointment at the thought of the potential partners being just generic enemies/characters; however, what if each partner can be equipped with gear that changes their appearance? I mentioned something along these lines on a previous post but, joining these details together, it actually gives light to the possibility of this being the case. Just imagine; being able to customize your partners (not just with stat increasing gear, but customize their appearance as well)!

I don't intend to overhype things but, let's keep these details in mind. Certainly we might be getting another trailer focusing on partners at some point (hopefully).

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yesterday was a pretty amazing day even if some of the announcements landed on a flat note for some of you:

-Very heavy implications that we are going to get a full on Smash Direct in June.

-Paper Mario getting confirmed yesterday not only gave a huge boost to rumors from Markomaro but also major rumors from people I've associated with like Mii Costume Guy, my NoA ambassador friend, and, yes, even Sabi (credit where credit is due. They didn't break the Paper Mario story but they did break Pikmin 3 Deluxe last year, which is all but confirmed now).

-Panel de Pon getting an English release after 25 years is a pretty big deal. Not only is it a long dead Japanese exclusive franchise but an English translation request that could have been easily fulfilled as early as 2007 for the Wii that Nintendo repeatedly blew off. It's one of the more obscure ever-green fan requests which, again, supplemented by rumors since goddamn AUGUST, gets a decent amount of credibility to other long fan requests rumors and dead franchise remakes/Remasters.

I want to once again share a quote from the fall my NoA ambassador friend shared with me, Sabi, and the rest of the circle when it was still a thing: "Nintendo isn't dumb. People think they are but they know what people want and they release things when they think the time is right." I know this mentality has been a big source of my notiriety and inspiration for many-a-hate-mail but it's become harder and harder to deny as time has gone on.

"Oh wow, Nintendo remaking and remastering games people have been begging for years for."

"Oh wow, almost all the Smash characters that come up in insider circles have 10/15/20 years of fan demand behind them."

-A metric ****-ton of Mario Maker options that fans have been asking for since the first game.

-Very heavily supplemented rumors that we're not only getting 3D Mario remasters but the first 2D Metroid console game in 26 years.

We essentially have 16 weeks left of "summer" and "E3" announcements according to Geoff so, yes, we may be in for a long summer but perhaps in the best of ways.
https://twitter.com/trintran/status/1261107152346771456?s=21

Bill Trinen himself acknowledging it

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Might have more to do with the classic SNES to be honest. Wouldn’t make much sense to have all those games available for both Switch service and classic console. I haven’t looked into both the lists, but I would assume maybe 3-4 games are shared between the 2 platforms, most of the other titles are probably exclusive to that console release.
Their are quite a few games that are on both, and same with the NES. The only other reason I think SMRPG isn't on the Switch might be because of negotiation issues with Square, but even then I doubt since we don't even have the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the service yet, which is what makes me believe we will get a new DKC game soon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Still rummaging about with the PM:TOK trailer and Nintendo site, AND now deleted Chinese trailer, I think we might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Let's say that as the site states that Mario will team up with "unlikely allies", which from the banner most of them are Bowser's minions, Bowser Jr. and Toad; the characters shown on the left of the banner are Mario's partners (or part of them cause, Magikoopa could also be seen following Mario around in part of the trailer). Now, this is where the Chinese trailer comes in. The Chinese trailer showed combat at one point, and within the fight, a Toad with an explorer outfit could be seen right next to Mario as he jumped on some enemies.

The Toad was wearing an explorer suit. Now, I've seen around that some have expressed disappointment at the thought of the potential partners being just generic enemies/characters; however, what if each partner can be equipped with gear that changes their appearance? I mentioned something along these lines on a previous post but, joining these details together, it actually gives light to the possibility of this being the case. Just imagine; being able to customize your partners (not just with stat increasing gear, but customize their appearance as well)!

I don't intend to overhype things but, let's keep these details in mind. Certainly we might be getting another trailer focusing on partners at some point (hopefully).
That would be pretty neat. Maybe this potential system could change the variety of enemy the allies are as well? Most of these guys have plenty of different variations to them. For example, perhaps the Hammer Bro could turn into a Boomerang Bro, Fire Bro, Ice Bro, or maybe even Sledge Bro.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
The year is 2020. Pandemic rages on, video game news is sparse and Animal Crossing is the only escapism many can turn to...

...Yet one Shy Guy riding in the Koopa Clown Car has come to bring us hope.

... Bowser is going to have his ass for joyriding in that thing.
LOL I was actually waiting for someone to post this image. LOL A Shy Guy in the Koopa Clown Car. You guys never let me down when it comes to pull hairstrings. lol xP ;P

Lagguino

Smash Apprentice
On a cloud with some kid to defeat the Red Ribbon
Their are quite a few games that are on both, and same with the NES. The only other reason I think SMRPG isn't on the Switch might be because of negotiation issues with Square, but even then I doubt since we don't even have the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on the service yet, which is what makes me believe we will get a new DKC game soon.
Honestly i don't think Square is a problem given how SMRPG was rereleased on Wii, Wii U, and SNES Classic. However squeenix taking a sudden turn and making it problematic is still possible.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Given that Nintendo deleted the Chinese trailer I think more info on partners is coming, so jumping off this I have some thoughts

-We see in the battle menu that one of the options is “Equipment.” Maybe these costumes offer different benefits in battle and you can actually change mid fight?

-Our Bob-omb named Bob-omb. He introduces himself like Bob-omb is his name, “I’m Bob-omb.” As opposed to “I’m a Bob-omb.” What if like the Yoshi kid of old, you can name your partners?

Is all this reaching farther than the 1000 fold arm technique? Probably! But god it’s nice to have a brand new game with a title to speculate about.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord

These next months are gonna be quite juicy amirite? also you deserve some choccy milk for always taking the time of summarizing everything up for us
1589549546633.png

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
Given that Nintendo deleted the Chinese trailer I think more info on partners is coming, so jumping off this I have some thoughts

-We see in the battle menu that one of the options is “Equipment.” Maybe these costumes offer different benefits in battle and you can actually change mid fight?

-Our Bob-omb named Bob-omb. He introduces himself like Bob-omb is his name, “I’m Bob-omb.” As opposed to “I’m a Bob-omb.” What if like the Yoshi kid of old, you can name your partners?

Is all this reaching farther than the 1000 fold arm technique? Probably! But god it’s nice to have a brand new game with a title to speculate about.
The Bob-Omb thing is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe there's some way to customize your partners? They are featured extensively on websites and such but they were barely shown off in gameplay. Maybe they're saving a gameplay reveal for later?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
From what we can tell Partners seem to be temporary, as in they only stay with you for a certain chapter or so. I HIGHLY doubt they are hiding some kind of partner customizing mechanic given that literally every non-toad NPC is a generic mook and they would certainly advertise that rather than just having generic enemies on the box.

MattX20

Smash Hero

Those same rumors you heard were also fairly confident in Geno's chances, right?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly i don't think Square is a problem given how SMRPG was rereleased on Wii, Wii U, and SNES Classic. However squeenix taking a sudden turn and making it problematic is still possible.
True. That is another reason why I doubt its a negotiations issue since Nintendo And Square have been better friends then ever right now and Square has supported the Switch a lot. I don't think it would be a struggle to get that game on the Switch.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792

Wait so Mii Costume Guy was the same source who also knew about a Paper Mario game? Sorry...I’m slow.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Is this actually confirmed yet? the cover art is in Japanese and preview clip didn't show any menu text so it looks like another straight port like puyo puyo was.

I can't help but feel like they just didn't want to fight over the name tetris attack and took the path of least resistance.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait so Mii Costume Guy was the same source who also knew about a Paper Mario game? Sorry...I’m slow.
No. Mii Costume Guy hasn't shared a lot of non Smash stuff but he has supported a few very noteworthy things that other insiders have put out too. Aside from some indie things, he's supported one of the two dead franchise revivals I've been teasing since December. It's an interesting web:

Dead franchise #1: Markomaro, Mii Costume Guy, NoA ambassador friend

Dead franchise #2: Markomaro, NoA ambassador friend

This is why I try to be cooperative for this stuff because if you're getting information from multiple people it's amazing how often info cross checks.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
-Paper Mario getting confirmed yesterday not only gave a huge boost to rumors from Markomaro
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Zippo being the one saying a new PM (based on 64/TTYD), and Marko was saying a remaster of 64 on 3DS, so... aren't they both wrong?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Okay, things are looking up for this game after all!

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
No. Mii Costume Guy hasn't shared a lot of non Smash stuff but he has supported a few very noteworthy things that other insiders have put out too. Aside from some indie things, he's supported one of the two dead franchise revivals I've been teasing since December. It's an interesting web:

Dead franchise #1: Markomaro, Mii Costume Guy, NoA ambassador friend

Dead franchise #2: Markomaro, NoA ambassador friend

This is why I try to be cooperative for this stuff because if you're getting information from multiple people it's amazing how often info cross checks.
But do they know which franchises are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom