• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Okay, things are looking up for this game after all!
Sadly it's still a dead game for me with the lack of FP and Badges. Badges made Paper Mario so enjoyable, and without them, it's just not the same.
Even if it had partners and a complete removal of the "PAPER IS EVERYTHING LULZ" attitude, I would still be disappointed. I love the badge system and wish it would come back.

If anything i feel like the Marko stuff makes the Mario remake rumors more likely
In what way, when they were wrong (AFAIK)?

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
If anything i feel like the Marko stuff makes the Mario remake rumors more likely
Also I feel like someone comparing OK to TTYD/64 could be a subjective comparison. Perhaps the source knows more about OK than what is being presented to us, and thus thinks the game is more in line with 64/TTYD.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Okay, things are looking up for this game after all!
D-

Did you just change your feelings on a topic on the internet when presented with new information?

(this isn’t a jab at you just a joke about Internet culture)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Also I feel like someone comparing OK to TTYD/64 could be a subjective comparison. Perhaps the source knows more about OK than what is being presented to us, and thus thinks the game is more in line with 64/TTYD.
FP gone, which means badges are gone, which means it *can't* be 64/TTYD-based. The badge system is about 75% of the combat system and a majority of the exploratory rewards. Inb4 only coins (and maybe some consumables) for battle rewards. Also from what tiny amount of battle footage we saw, I didn't see anything resembling Star Points/EXP/Levels.

Unless they purposefully omitted all these things from the trailer footage (why would they exclude FP for example?), this game is most definitely not 64/TTYD-based.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m interested in Panel de Pon, but I really did want EarthBound and SMRPG and stuff.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s been translated at all. The title and stuff are still in Japanese, while all the English text appears to be the same in YouTube videos of the game on SNES. It seems it happened to be one of those Japanese games that just used a bunch of English for some reason unlike Puyo Puyo which has a small amount of English.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
FP gone, which means badges are gone, which means it *can't* be 64/TTYD-based. The badge system is about 75% of the combat system and a majority of the exploratory rewards. Inb4 only coins (and maybe some consumables) for battle rewards. Also from what tiny amount of battle footage we saw, I didn't see anything resembling Star Points/EXP/Levels.

Unless they purposefully omitted all these things from the trailer footage (why would they exclude FP for example?), this game is most definitely not 64/TTYD-based.
Considering that they purposefully not put any battle with a partner, despite how the removed Chinese trailer show that we will likely have them, and keep in mind, the trailer was removed, maybe they want to keep information like that secret, to reveal in a more hype pre-release trailer.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Did they said any dates or something? because if they did then sure they're fake, i'm just saying those games could still happen down the line though
I'm talking about what was said regarding PM:
- Marko: "PM64 Remaster on 3DS"; I totally get why it wouldn't come to 3DS, but Marko also explicitly said "not a new game". 100% *wrong*.
- Zippo: "New PM game, based on 64/TTYD"; correct about new game, but there's nothing remotely 64/TTYD-based about this game. Got details wrong, but still correct about new PM game. Has been wrong regarding Direct date in Feb though.

So right now, I don't trust either of them unless someone points me to where Marko said "new PM game", because I really do remember them explicitly saying it wouldn't be a new PM.

Considering that they purposefully not put any battle with a partner, despite how the removed Chinese trailer show that we will likely have them, and keep in mind, the trailer was removed, maybe they want to keep information like that secret, to reveal in a more hype pre-release trailer.
On other-language trailers, there was a "support" option, which makes me think they have a singular function and don't get a full turn like 64/TTYD partners. Regardless, FP is most definitely gone, and badges are all-but-guaranteed gone because of the lack of FP. What I was trying to say is if they explicitly edited out the FP meter, then yeah, different story, but the game is dropping in 2 months; this isn't like Sakurai wanting to blur Spirits in the E3 Smash direct; there's no reason to hide it. Bottom line is they didn't and FP is gone.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But do they know which franchises are?
Yes and I do too (if they're true). It's basically been a quiet agreement that both rumored franchise revivals are a big enough deal that nobody wants to be "that guy" and spoil them, even if they turn out to be false. Their fans deserve the surprise and the people that know them more or less agree that whoever purposely leaks them would be crowned "King of the ******** ™" forever.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I saw someone speculating that FP/SP could come back as “confetti” or paper in general in this game, saying all these points: enemies you defeat emit paper confetti stuffs like the paint in CS, and Mario has a green bag with him we currently don’t know the purpose of, and there’s an option or minigame or something where you throw confetti in a river. The goombas eating the environment also have confetti on their faces, while the game in general is pretty much based on paper even moreso than the last two games considering the origami theme and the streamers stretching across the land. Meanwhile, in battle, you have standard attacks in a “Weapons” part of the menu, but Super Boots are used somehow, so unless it’s a permanent boots upgrade, it could be used with confetti/whatever paper, which would be a finite resource.

He also said something about helping the Toads who appear to have their faces cut out.

Last edited:

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
Yes and I do too (if they're true). It's basically been a quiet agreement that both rumored franchise revivals are a big enough deal that nobody wants to be "that guy" and spoil them, even if they turn out to be false. Their fans deserve the surprise and the people that know them more or less agree that whoever purposely leaks them would be crowned "King of the ******** ™" forever.
Mother & Golden Sun. You read here first ;)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember Zippo being the one saying a new PM (based on 64/TTYD), and Marko was saying a remaster of 64 on 3DS, so... aren't they both wrong?
They were but, being in this for a year and a half, I give credit where credit is due. Details can get murky so coming to the surface with perfect intel is borderline impossible so them noting Paper Mario coming in 2020 is partial credit. For example, in January a Mystery Dungeon remaster was revealed. My NoA ambassador friend (at least currently) was wrong about a Diamond and Pearl remake, which was his guess based on what he knew: a Pokemon remake/remaster was coming in 2020, a third Gen 8 RPG was not going to be made (no Pokemon Gun), DLC was very likely with Sword and Shield including re-adding a ton of cut Pokemon. Same thing with the Mario Remaster Collection: he knew at least one 3D Mario was coming in 2020, he knew about the Sunshine Remaster and that the Mario game wasn't going to be Galaxy 3 or Odyssey 2. Again, credit where credit is due.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Finally, Bubsy returns to glory.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Again, credit where credit is due.
I'll give some credit to Zippo for saying new PM game. I won't to Marko for explicitly saying "not a new game" because they were just wrong in all areas.

Switch has become the unofficial “King of RPGs”
King of "Action Adventures with RPG elements".
(just like Urshifu, I will jab at tOK for the rest of time)

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Another thing with the Origami King partners, the toad on the box is a red toad, but the one in the explorer gear is a yellow toad. So we may be able to customize a lot more than just their gear. With the name thing too, I think the idea may be that we are given a species for our partners and then we get to completely customize them to make them unique. In which case holy crap that's awesome!

a random user

Smash Journeyman
What if they listened to Chibi-Robo fans and realized their decision after seeing Ziplash’s sales was terrible?
chibi robo isn't quite big enough a franchise to count as a "big deal" to the wider gaming audience, most people have still never herd of him, even if I do want another game like the gamecube, and the japan only ds, sequel

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if they listened to Chibi-Robo fans and realized their decision after seeing Ziplash’s sales was terrible?
Chibi Robo doesn't have the massive outcries over all the years to the same degree F-Zero has...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
chibi robo isn't quite big enough a franchise to count as a "big deal" to the wider gaming audience, most people have still never herd of him, even if I do want another game like the gamecube, and the japan only ds, sequel
Chibi Robo doesn't have the massive outcries over all the years to the same degree F-Zero has...
I guess not...
inb4 Chibi-Robo is still one of the two.
otherwise, oof.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still, all things considered, they've basically made a major announcement a week for the last three weeks and most of the announcements were for stuff that was already announced or out. Yesterday was basically the first genuinely new major announcements and that's likely to continue. Basically they got "the old stuff" out of the way first so we're probably in for 8-10 weeks of major announcements ahead with Smash likely only being 2-3 weeks away.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Let's try to guess when the hypothetical Smash Direct for June takes place. My personal guess is no later than the 11th of next month
I think it'll be on June 31st :ultpacman:

No but really probably around the 10th or 11th. I'm not necessarily expecting to see Geno then though, but I do think he's coming.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Still, all things considered, they've basically made a major announcement a week for the last three weeks and most of the announcements were for stuff that was already announced or out. Yesterday was basically the first genuinely new major announcements and that's likely to continue. Basically they got "the old stuff" out of the way first so we're probably in for 8-10 weeks of major announcements ahead with Smash likely only being 2-3 weeks away.
4 weeks, the Mario maker update is just 2 days short of 4 weeks, and was also a new major announcement so the new and old stuff might be mixed

MattX20

Smash Hero
We'll just have to keep our eyes open for the next big announcements for the remainder of May and June

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So, I think I may have just found evidence that could point to either equipment working more like Super Mario RPG than Paper Mario or that there's going to be a good amount of abilities in the game (could point to traditional "badges", learning or getting skills over time). Still speculation, but it still caught my eye.
At the 1:40 mark in the video, we see the shiny boots in action, but there's a star icon above them that doesn't appear in the combat overview video. I thought at first that was normal, until I remembered that they always use color/texture to differentiate between stickers / cards. Why not do the same here? Then, I realised: it's actually a "favorite" symbol, which I don't remember seeing in other entries. For them to have this feature here, means, at the very least, that there's going to be a sizeable amount of different boots in the game.

I get that there's a lot of people disappointed because Origami King didn't put every feature that made TTYD great, but I don't get why discredit the entire game because of the lack of one feature when there's still the possibility .
Also, something that needs to be clarified and annoys me: Flower Points are part of ol 25% of the badge system in Paper Mario: imagine devaluing Mega Rush, All or Nothing, Bump Attack, Speedy Spin, The Attack SFXs and the other 75% of the badge system because they don't use or affect FP; Badge Points is the one more directly tied for it, and it's purpose is to balance out the game while improving your pool of possibilities over the course of the game (basically a mix of balance, progression and synergy).
I agree that we should be cautious, considering how many times we've been in this spot before with this franchise and how they never let enemies buy some clothes to express themselves, but let's wait and see before we talk bad of something we don't even know off. The dialogue has been so heated for no reason with how much we actually know: We don't know where this game falls in the spectrum between of RPG and Action Adventure, but the game isn't Sticker Star 3, Color Splash 2, TTYD 2, PM64 2, Super Paper Mario 2 or even Super Mario RPG 2 without more. The only thing you can say for sure is that this game is Origami King!
Sorry if I sound kinda angry, I just don't like to see how people discredit this game without the full picture: I'm sad that we don't have the visual designs of old, but it doesn't mean that these characters can still have a personality and still be enjoyable: it's like people being interested entirely on looks, but no substance (which is what I dislike the most about gaming these days). If you want to criticize the game, at least do it for what the game actually is than what people think it is.
This reminds me that I didn't make any bingo or predictions for this E3 yet (or Keigh3, as I'm calling it). If this happens, then I will predict the next 9 weeks:
Next Week (May 18-22): Mario: The Mushroom Kingdom Collection
  • Xenoblade Week (May 25-29): Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Clubhouse Week (June 01-05): Smash Direct (ARMS with 4 alts and Geno)
  • RIP E3 Week (June 08-12): BOTW 2 if it's still 2020 / 3D World Deluxe if 2021
  • RIP E3 Hangover Week (15-19/06): Franchise Revival #1: Mother 4
  • End of June Week (June 22-26): Retro's secret project if it exists / New Kirby spin-off if not
  • Shipshafting Week (June 29-July 03): Franchise Revival #2: F-Zero
  • New Semester Week (July 06-10): Kid Icarus Uprising port
  • "I got no more clever names" Week (July 13-17): Splatoon spin-off
If any of the above aren't announced and they exist, it's part of the next General Direct.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we are talking about dead franchises, I really hope to see F-Zero make a return. Seems like the right time if I am being honest. Aside from that, there isn't much else I consider a dead franchise that seems probable. Maybe Rhythm Heaven if you consider that dead right now. That is a game that needs to be on the Switch.

It amazes me how locked down Smash speculation is with all the sources having knowledge on different projects going on, yet the one thing that could have potentially slipped out was Cacodemon and Mallow hats. It's arguably the only hints we have at what content is in the works.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
*facepalm*

Well, we got more games added to the SNES and NES NSO Library... :glare: Just... not the ones I was hoping for.

I love how hard Nintendo goes out of their way to give us the most obscure games they can find before dropping the gold.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I think I may have just found evidence that could point to either equipment working more like Super Mario RPG than Paper Mario or that there's going to be a good amount of abilities in the game (could point to traditional "badges", learning or getting skills over time). Still speculation, but it still caught my eye.
At the 1:40 mark in the video, we see the shiny boots in action, but there's a star icon above them that doesn't appear in the combat overview video. I thought at first that was normal, until I remembered that they always use color/texture to differentiate between stickers / cards. Why not do the same here? Then, I realised: it's actually a "favorite" symbol, which I don't remember seeing in other entries. For them to have this feature here, means, at the very least, that there's going to be a sizeable amount of different boots in the game.

I get that there's a lot of people disappointed because Origami King didn't put every feature that made TTYD great, but I don't get why discredit the entire game because of the lack of one feature when there's still the possibility .
Also, something that needs to be clarified and annoys me: Flower Points are part of ol 25% of the badge system in Paper Mario: imagine devaluing Mega Rush, All or Nothing, Bump Attack, Speedy Spin, The Attack SFXs and the other 75% of the badge system because they don't use or affect FP; Badge Points is the one more directly tied for it, and it's purpose is to balance out the game while improving your pool of possibilities over the course of the game (basically a mix of balance, progression and synergy).
I agree that we should be cautious, considering how many times we've been in this spot before with this franchise and how they never let enemies buy some clothes to express themselves, but let's wait and see before we talk bad of something we don't even know off. The dialogue has been so heated for no reason with how much we actually know: We don't know where this game falls in the spectrum between of RPG and Action Adventure, but the game isn't Sticker Star 3, Color Splash 2, TTYD 2, PM64 2, Super Paper Mario 2 or even Super Mario RPG 2 without more. The only thing you can say for sure is that this game is Origami King!
Sorry if I sound kinda angry, I just don't like to see how people discredit this game without the full picture: I'm sad that we don't have the visual designs of old, but it doesn't mean that these characters can still have a personality and still be enjoyable: it's like people being interested entirely on looks, but no substance (which is what I dislike the most about gaming these days). If you want to criticize the game, at least do it for what the game actually is than what people think it is.

This reminds me that I didn't make any bingo or predictions for this E3 yet (or Keigh3, as I'm calling it). If this happens, then I will predict the next 9 weeks:
Next Week (May 18-22): Mario: The Mushroom Kingdom Collection
  • Xenoblade Week (May 25-29): Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Clubhouse Week (June 01-05): Smash Direct (ARMS with 4 alts and Geno)
  • RIP E3 Week (June 08-12): BOTW 2 if it's still 2020 / 3D World Deluxe if 2021
  • RIP E3 Hangover Week (15-19/06): Franchise Revival #1: Mother 4
  • End of June Week (June 22-26): Retro's secret project if it exists / New Kirby spin-off if not
  • Shipshafting Week (June 29-July 03): Franchise Revival #2: F-Zero
  • New Semester Week (July 06-10): Kid Icarus Uprising port
  • "I got no more clever names" Week (July 13-17): Splatoon spin-off
If any of the above aren't announced and they exist, it's part of the next General Direct.
So, if I may ask, why would this Smash Direct be around June 1 to June 5?

D

Deleted member

So Paper Mario: The Origami King looks interesting. The series is known for it’s humour, Battle system, and partners but hopefully this game can be what people want.

We’l hopefully get more news from Nintendo in weeks to follow as I see them doing that to replace what they would have announced in E3 due to everything.

So should be interesting.

Excited for that and the ARMS presentation.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, question of coincidence. I don't know if he holds any important info since most are skeptical of him but MandyCan (guy who said Crash would be soon after pass one or Arms, don't remember) made this tweet earlier:
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1261398294267387906?s=19
IMG_20200515_174725.jpg
IMG_20200515_174727.png
It reminded me of Fatman mentioning the potential(?) Gooigi costume, even if this may have nothing to do with Smash. An Undertale spirit event would be the best thing ever, honestly.

[Edit] I don't know if this would back up Geno and the costumes?

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So, if I may ask, why would this Smash Direct be around June 1 to June 5?
Smash has had a tendency of releasing stuff earlier than the rough deadline they put out there (Plant in January 31st, Banjo in the end of Summer, Terry early november, Byleth at the end of January) + there's a chance that the presentation and the release of #6 aren't in the same day.

D

Deleted member

So, question of coincidence. I don't know if he holds any important info since most are skeptical of him but MandyCan (guy who said Crash would be soon after pass one or Arms, don't remember) made this tweet earlier:
https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot/status/1261398294267387906?s=19
It reminded me of Fatman mentioning the potential(?) Gooigi costume, even if this may have nothing to do with Smash. An Undertale spirit event would be the best thing ever, honestly.

[Edit] I don't know if this would back up Geno and the costumes?
Probably piggybacking somebody when he was in Discord.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
While I greatly prefer the direct format I can't help but feel a little nostalgic over over our current announcement situation, back when learning about the existence of a game was from word of mouth at school or by staring the darn thing in the face at a long awaited trip to toy's r us or while being dragged along by your parents to walmart or something. I certainly hope this doesn't become the norm but tbh outside of a golden sun shadow drop I'm kinda excited to see what they do this summer and I hope we get some nice suprises along the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom