• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

QQS

Smash Lord
Geno is around the corner for me. These 24 years and SO MUCH evidence + fan demand in Ultimate being fulfilled its a lot already.

You have to be blind to not believe that Geno will be a fighter soon...

4D274DFF-57CE-4B1C-B9A3-E35619AA1369.jpeg

(Crédits to the artist please).

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Do you think Nintendo's still going to go through with that Mario presentation or do you think they've chopped it up to spread out over the summer?
I can see it going both ways tbh, if they had a dedicated Direct planned for this month, it may have been far enough along to still go ahead with it in some form. However, they could delay it and pull it into whatever Direct they planned for E3 as well and just make it a super long, super huge info dump to make up for the Quarantine. Or we could end up just getting a lot of things piecemeal and either see a smaller Direct or no Direct at all because of the issues they're having with working from home.

So basically, anything could happen haha. But personally, I think this being planned so far in advance, they probably had a lot of work on a Mario-centric Direct completed already, so it's probably still going to go ahead and wouldn't be overly affected by WFH issues, though maybe some stuff they'll pull out and release later still.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Do you think Nintendo's still going to go through with that Mario presentation or do you think they've chopped it up to spread out over the summer?
It won't be a live presentation at E3, that much is certain. If I had to guess, it would be a special Direct

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I remember a few weeks ago we talked about what music we would want Bestguyever to use for a hypothetical Geno video and I've come to realize that the first half of Shooting Stars by the Bag Raiders would actually be a pretty great fit:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I remember a few weeks ago we talked about what music we would want Bestguyever to use for a hypothetical Geno video and I've come to realize that the first half of Shooting Stars by the Bag Raiders would actually be a pretty great fit:

Not a bad choice, though if Bestguyever did a video for Geno, Twilight by ELO would be another viable option

QQS

Smash Lord
Everytime I try not to be that anxious about the next Smash presentation, something happens. It’s a divine intervention.

3442DB9A-BDE0-4DA4-B010-967BC283239C.jpeg

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Droodle

Smash Lord
Grinch Leak: Trying to decipher blobs that (in hindsight) even looked out of place despite its low quality. Only had a buncha weird coincidences and some marginal effort it would've taken to move some characters going for it. Every insider screamed it was fake hours after it came out.
CacoMallow: High quality looking leak that literally no one has managed to replicate, several modders saying it's probably impossible. Mii hats look like they belong on said characters and are high quality. Insiders never attack legitimacy, meaning it doesn't directly contradict with anything they've heard.
"Surely, these are the same thing!"
You know I was being sarcastic right? If there is any fake leak close to the Cacomallow leak, it would be the Rayman leak back in Smash 4.

Besides there have been insiders said the leak is most likely fake. GameXplain stated that it is most likely fake, but who knows maybe it's real (which was pretty much the exact same thing that they said for the Grinch Leak). It's harder for insiders to deconfirm potentially real leaks now because it's DLC; leakers knew about the base roster by the time Grinch leaked, which made it easy to say that it isn't real. Now at most they know 1 character ahead, which means it's hard to fully bet your credibility and say "this potentially real leak isn't happening period".

Yeah, in hindsight the Grinch leak was fake; and it's pretty easy to see where it messes up. But if it truly had as little effort put into it like you said it has, then around 30-50% of the community, including a ton of users on this board; would not have been fooled by it. And over a year later, no one has come out and claimed full credit/shown proof about the leak.

It's fine if you personally believe in Cacomallow (after all it may be real). But you shouldn't show a condescending attitude towards people who do not believe it; the general consensus within the larger community is that it is fake even if it doesn't have a bullet that kills it definitively. And while I'm sure this board doesn't like me saying it, Cacomallow does become more unlikely as time goes on.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
A fun game that would lay the groundwork for some of the best Mario games to date.

Happy anniversary Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Here's hoping this year is Geno's year to shine on the battlefield.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Happy 24th SMRPG (in NA)!!! Sorry I'm slightly late to the party; Rimworld is one hell of a drug that I cannot break my addiction of. Also caused a bit of a delay in responding to some of you guys, rip.

I wonder what made them remake Link's Awakening instead of ALttP or the Oracle games.
Because they love to forget that ALTTP is the best Zelda game ever, also that the Oracle games are actually better than LA. Instead, they'd rather remake garbage for the 2nd or 3rd time. OoT is *seen* as a masterpiece (spoiler: it's not); it's alright, but I understand why they'd remake it yet again. TP does *not* deserve another remaster. SS most definitely doesn't. It's hilarious to me that ALTTP has yet to be remade once. It got a VC/NSO port and that was it. Oracle games also got VC ports.

PS: LBW doesn't count as an ALTTP remake, because it's a sequel. It's also a fantastic game that for some reason no one talks about. Easily in my top 5 Zeldas for sure.

It's the game that most needed a remake and the Oracle games have Capcom ALL over them, plus it's, you know, two games.
By "most needed", do you mean because it's the most aged/isn't always clear where to go? LA is a fine game and all, but I'm curious on your criteria for "most needed", since I personally think ALTTP would be amazing if it got a remake, and, if they wanted to go above and beyond, get the ALTTP Randomizer thrown in there for some much needed permanent replayability. I know that's a very not-Nintendo thing to do, but one can always dream...

Time for me to repeat this again: Marty Stratton is an executive producer at ID SOFTWARE. Cross-promotional stuff would 99% be handled by BETHESDA, and we already know that Pete Hines has talked to Nintendo about Smash. Even then, Stratton's wording conveniently brings up Nintendo asking them, not the other way around.
But Axel, they said there's no plans, so clearly they aren't doing it. NDA or not, they surely wouldn't lie to people just to avoid getting sued for millions. SURELY NOT.

Also it's funny, I didn't really want DG because I don't give a crap about him, but I kinda want him now purely because CacoMallow. It'd be hilarious if that ended up happening.

Probably SLAP-CHOPPED, unless they actually had it ready to go. Idk, I'm skeptical given all the talk about them not having a June direct, but they could always just have a May or July one instead... Hmmm... But yeah, I'm more on the side of them just shadowdropping stuff whenever they feel like it.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's the game that most needed a remake and the Oracle games have Capcom ALL over them, plus it's, you know, two games.
As much as I like OOS & OOA (former > latter), I really don't think they need to be remade, or at least I feel they shouldn't be remade if they're going the route of Link's Awakening Switch. No, the Zelda games that desparately need a remake/reimagining are the original two games on NES. Those games are ancient, and in the case of the former it could stand to gain a few QoL improvements.

PS: LBW doesn't count as an ALTTP remake, because it's a sequel. It's also a fantastic game that for some reason no one talks about. Easily in my top 5 Zeldas for sure.
Just one more point in favor of the idea of you being me.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
If Nintendo says something today, I wonder how many more people will go nuts over it like 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace

That's a good one, but I'd hope his song is Starman by David Bowie. Starman's lyrics talk about a light-related being not meeting with us quite yet because we're not ready for him. It's a pretty good mirror to Geno's situation and it's a banger.

Also, happy birthday SMRPG!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I guess I'll do a quick recap of all the major lingering Nintendo rumors since the fall since it sounds like we're probably no more than a month away from a major news dump:

-BotW 2 for 2020 or pretty damn close
-3D Mario and 3D Zelda Remasters
-Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D Squirrel ports
-New Paper Mario or Paper Mario 64 Remake
-New 2D Metroid or Super Metroid Remaster
-Tomodachi Life/Miitopia sequel or Switch Remaster
-Fire Emblem 6/7 Remake
-New Donkey Kong platformer
-Major SNES Online game dump

And for the super vague ones that you all hate but the surprises will be worth it if true:

-Remake of a dead franchise (possibly two)
-New installment of a dead franchise
-Major early 2010's game getting a Remaster
Pretty solid list hopefully half of this happens.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Aside from Smash DLC, I really hope we get more news regarding BotW2 and Metroid Prime 4. Even if they are years away from releasing, just a trailer would be nice.
*still waiting for Bayonetta 3*
For real tho , is Bayonetta drunk at Rodin's bar or something ? We barely got anything about the game since like , 2017.

---

Also wow , it's really SMRPG's birthday today ? Well , happy 24th birthday to the game that started it all ! A timeless classic.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
YOOOOOO, happy 24th anniversary to the game that brought us all together here! I didn't realize I had beaten it just in time for this occasion, lol. I'll think of something later today in order to celebrate, we'll see...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Good morning, everyone! What is this thing I heard about Nintendo news as hinted by NateDrake a few pages back?

Happy 24th anniversary to SMRPG, by the way.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Happy 24th anniversary for Super Mario RPG! Here's hoping we won't have to wait until the 25th anniversary for Geno to make it into Smash.

At this point, Bayo and Samus are drinking buddies, waiting for literally any news on their upcoming games.
I'll even take screenshots of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 at this point - anything to show that progress has actually been made on the game.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
At this point, Bayo and Samus are drinking buddies, waiting for literally any news on their upcoming games.
... It's pretty funny that , when you get down to it , these 2 characters have some interesting stuff in common lol.

At least with MP4 , they were transparent with the fact that they restarted development. With Bayo 3 we got one announcement in 2018 wich was "yea we're workin' on the game , no worries".
But well , still waiting for Pikmin 4 and a new console Rayman game , so I guess I can deal with waiting for a while. I like to think that the developpers take the development of these games very seriously , and really want to give us a quality product.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Happy birthday to the TRUE protagonist of SMRPG, everyone's favorite blue clad character you met after getting Mallow that was introduced in this game:

Boshi.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
What if at the Summer Game Fest, they show off some gameplay of the ARMS rep with a release date, and in honor of the anniversary, they announce Challenger Pack 7 which is Geno. I doubt it, but it would be a perfect way to reveal it lol

D

Deleted member

Vhat is zis? Ze caked moved? Can't you tell I'm French by this OUTRAGEOUS accent?!
I lived my early life thinking he was German, so... I still think he's German. It helps my case that he's named after a German cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
I lived my early life thinking he was German, so... I still think he's German. It helps my case that he's named after a German cake.
What was his name again? Torte? (I can't believe I can still remember that off the top of my head) Yeah, in my mind I pictured French but you're probably right. It's one of those things that can get lost in translation when you're gleaning it solely from text.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
What if at the Summer Game Fest, they show off some gameplay of the ARMS rep with a release date, and in honor of the anniversary, they announce Challenger Pack 7 which is Geno. I doubt it, but it would be a perfect way to reveal it lol
nintendo is not invited at the moment and geoff keighley said on Reditt that if nintendo wants he will let them participate and we know how nintendo is. They will not participate

Polarthief

Smash Lord
lived my early life thinking he was German, so... I still think he's German.
... is he not? Idk about the JP version, but in the NA release, they intentionally gave him an accent (such as when he says "Vat?" instead of "What?") and he doesn't speak "correct" English (not full blown Engrish, but he misses some contractions, such as when he says to his apprentice: "Because you are IDIOT!").

What was his name again? Torte?
Chef Torte and his Apprentice known as... Apprentice... Also **** that cake boss. One of my awful blockades as a kid... granted, I also always went HP for every level up for everyone as a kid because I was a dumbass so...

I always wondered why we can't use Peach on that fight since it's when you start getting nasty AoE attacks sent your way.

Also someone wake me up if we get anything neat that isn't Xbox/PS-exclusive on Summer Games Fest. I'm not bothering to watch it after getting 4 hours of sleep (and I frankly don't want to sit through something else I probably won't care about, like I did VGA last December).

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Happy Anniversary to the American release of a game that doesn't get enough credit for how much it set the tone for the type of dialogue and characterization the Mario series (especially the RPG games) utilizes that fans have enjoyed for the past couple of decades.

hqdefault.jpg

Hope everyone is staying safe and doing well!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Happy 24th Anniversary (North American release anyways) to Super Mario RPG and the reason we're all here! Given the occasion, I wanted to remind you all that this is still going on:

https://donate.starlight.org/fundraiser/2686290

I just made my third donation and we're reasonably close to hitting our goal before "E3." As a recap, Starlight Children's Foundation raises money for the comfort and care of children in long-term hospital care as well as provide things like toys, clothes, and books. We kicked off the campaign on Mario Day and hopefully we can meet our goal soon.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Happy 24th Anniversary (North American release anyways) to Super Mario RPG and the reason we're all here! Given the occasion, I wanted to remind you all that this is still going on:

https://donate.starlight.org/fundraiser/2686290

I just made my third donation and we're reasonably close to hitting our goal before "E3." As a recap, Starlight Children's Foundation raises money for the comfort and care of children in long-term hospital care as well as provide things like toys, clothes, and books. We kicked off the campaign on Mario Day and hopefully we can meet our goal soon.
I really admire how much you support Geno and the Super Mario RPG community like this as a whole. I'm going to make a donation later today as well to celebrate the 24th! Even if we don't get Geno in the end, seeing stuff like Operation StarFall and this whole Starlight Children's Foundation thing is amazing. So many great things being accomplished and so many good things associated with our character. That in itself makes this whole journey worth the wait.

Fun fact as well, Operation StarFall entered a hospital gown design for the same foundation's Annual Design-A-Gown even and they managed to end up one of the selected winners. Can't explain how that happened but it's really awesome knowing Star Road has become some what of a symbol for recovery and optimism for kids in need.

https://twitter.com/StarlightUS/status/1259219123155894280

Big ups to the finance department

Droodle

Smash Lord
We could end up getting the ARMS presentation sometime this month, with it's release being announced for early next month. If they do such a thing, do you all think that Fighter 7 will be shown off during the presentation (this month), a potential ton of Nintendo news (next month), or would they save it for a direct (around September).

I personally think that even if we get a potential presentation this month, we'll still be waiting until next month to see Fighter 7 news. The only exception I can see being is if they just namedrop the series the character is from, but there isn't that many series that could be applied to successfully.

Speaking of which, how would you all feel if they just said that Fighter 7 is "from the Mario series"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom