• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The only game I've played lately is Smash. I was hoping to get Doom Eternal for the Switch, but that port hasn't come out yet. Other than browsing the Geno thread, I've been watching movies/shows I got and some shows online. Other than that, I'm pretty bored.

D

Deleted member

The only game I've played lately is Smash. I was hoping to get Doom Eternal for the Switch, but that port hasn't come out yet. Other than browsing the Geno thread, I've been watching movies/shows I got and some shows online. Other than that, I'm pretty bored.
I've been playing a bit of UA3 in preparation of my long awaited Fantastic Four DLC, made progress in KH The Story So Far, tried out the FF7 Remake demo, kept going with DQXI S and also played some GBA games on my phone such as the Metroid titles.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
This is a post/rant I've been meaning to make for awhile and it's partially related to this so this seems as good a time as ever to post it. Has alot to do with why I want Geno (aside from him just being a really cool character/design/moveset potential and me loving Mario RPG) and the whole "I wish Geno showed up in other games/it makes more sense for him to show up in Mario again before Smash" stuff people throw around.

Let's actually take a look at how the Mario RPG's are represented in Smash. Yes this has a point and I'll tie it back around later so just stick with me.
  • Melee : Peach uses the Frying Pan, neat. Paper Mario gets a trophy but it was also not even a year old yet so its great that it got anything. Can't be mad here since the franchise was literally only two games in and melee was rushed out the door anyway. Glad it got anything.
  • Brawl : Ok, it's been 6-7 years, Mario RPG's are running two different franchises right now, 6 games, and people like them a lot. And we get...1 song. In the entire game. It's a great remix of Gritzy Desert, done by Yoko even, but really? That's the most representation the RPG's get? No Stage, no assist trophy, sure as hell not a character. I guess there's a bunch of Trophies ripped from Super Paper Mario, and Goombella I guess, as well as even more Stickers from all the games, so that's, really neat I guess? You could argue Mario's and especially Peach's Final Smash are based off SMRPG but eh?
  • Smash Bros 4 : Ok, it's been another 6-7 years, both franchises still actually doing well (even if Sticker Star is garbo) so let's see what we get. AN ACTUAL STAGE! It's...based on two thirds Sticker Star. Um, ok... based on the start of that game and just the front of Bowser's Castle? Well, atleast we get a third based off Thousand Year Door, the... S.S Flavion? Of all the locations, why this? It's not even unique to Smash as a ship stage! I guess it let them work in the Blooper and the Whale, so that's neat. As for music we have...4 whole tracks. AND THEY CUT Gritzy desert. Greeaaaaaaaat. And we have TWO remixes this time. The Paper Mario Medley... which starts with Sticker Star again, which I'm fine with since atleast that game has a good soundtrack, a thirty second snippet of Rougeport, which sounds great but why is it playing on the S.S. Flavion? Whatever, and last we have... Sticker Star, again, EXCEPT IT'S JUST THE GODDAMN AIRSHIP THEME, WHY? I GET IT, IT'S IN STICKER STAR, BUT STILL, WHY??? IT EVEN ALREADY HAS A REMIX IN SMASH THERE ARE LIKE 5 OTHER ORIGINAL PAPER MARIO SONGS THAT WOULD HAVE FIT HERE, UHHHHHG. And for the other remix we have Try Try Again, done again by Yoko, and while it's nice to have an ACTUAL BATTLE THEME get remixed, I honestly think it sounds way worse than the original, but that's pretty subjective so whatever. For the two other tracks we have direct rips of Tough Guy Alert and Grand Finale from Inside Story, which are great choices. But still, only 4 whole tracks, really? Well, in terms of other stuff, Bowser Jr. uses the Eekhamemr from Sticker Star in his pummel? Riveting. No Items or Assist Trophies. 8 trophies in each game atleast, all from Sticker Star in the 3DS version and from the other Paper Mario games in the Wii U verison, neat. Geno got a Mii Costume as DLC, which I honestly take because atleast it's some real acknowledgement.
  • Ultimate : 10 whole musics tracks, wow, what an upgrade. They brought back Gritzy Desert, and the other 5 are... just direct rips from Paper Jam, Color Splash, and Superstar Saga DX. Better than last game I suppose. The Paper Mario Stage is back, and now there TWO WHOLE SONGS FROM PAPER MARIO TO PLAY ON IT. Pirahna Plant turns into a Putrid Piranha to spit poison, an actual special move in a moveset, that's way more than we usually get, damn. No items, no assist trophies, but atleast we have 19 spirits right? That's actually less than the amount of Stickers than the games got in Brawl, not even mentioning trophies, but who's counting? Atleast all the games got spirits this time?

Just put this into perspective, (and don't take this as complaining about Byleth/Fire Emblem/Three Houses, I don't really mind the game got representation, I'm just using it as a comparison point.) Fire Emblem Three Houses, 1 GAME, got a character, a stage, 11 music tracks, and 12 Spirits in one DLC pack, which is about just as much, IF NOT MORE, than the entire Mario RPG franchise has gotten after 5 Smash games.

The most annoying part about this? This mediocre representation is still by far the best acknowledgment the RPG's actually get by the Mario franchise and Nintendo in general. Nothing from the RPG's is ever used, seen, or mentioned outside of the RPG's, EVER. Thousand Year Door got a reference in ANIMAL CROSSING before getting awknowledged in a Mario Game that wasn't another RPG. They got referenced all the time in the Mid-2000's, look! Bowser's Castle in Super Circuit, the Goomba King in 64 DS, the Star Spirits in Mario Party 5, and a bunch of other small stuff. But once you hit the Wii era? Gone. Check the Mario wiki on this stuff. Seriously, the reason people go crazy over stuff like Hello, Happy Kingdom getting a remix in Fortune Street, or the Yo'ster Cookies in Crafted World (which we aren't even entirely sure is supposed to be a reference) isn't because the Geno/Mario RPG community is a bunch of crazy conspirators looking for shreds of evidence, it's because it's so rare to get awknowledged in ANY real capacity. Christ, E GADD and DIDDY KONG can't even get in Mario Kart 8, and people still think Nintendo wants to acknowledge the Mario RPG's outside of their ever shrinking bubble?

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think Geno is more likely to be playable in Ultimate than for Nintendo to actually acknowledge the RPG's in a spinoff, let along a main Mario game. Hell, it might even be more likely than an actual return to form Mario RPG at this point. Alphadream is dead, so I don't expect anything Mario and Luigi related in the future, and I outright don't trust the Paper Mario team at all. Even if they are working on a new game, I still think they will mess it up, I stand by that. They just don't get why people like those games, or atleast don't want to make them.

Atleast for something like Geno they can go, "Oh yea, he's really popular in the Smash Community, let's add him as the fan pick, and then Sakurai can actually work his magic and represent them well for once.
THIS. IS. SO. TRUE. This is something that always bothered me about Mario as a franchise (and why Mario as a whole is #5 in my Game Series list). Sure, not everything is gold material for mainline games, but why do they never use their characters in the other sub-series? Like, imagine this scenario:
- Toadsworth in Mario Kart 9.
- The Koopa Bros. from Paper Mario as the World 5 boss for the next 2D Mario, instead of always having to be a Koopaling like Iggy.
- The next Mario Party features a board based on the Glitz Pit from TTYD.
- Bonneton is a town in the next Paper Mario.
- Maple Treeway is a area in the next 3D Mario.
- Waluigi's Island is the final area of Mario & Luigi (featuring Wario & Waluigi as a rival).
- Boshi is a captain in Mario Strikers.
The list goes on...
Thinking about it more, Mario is one of the few franchises that would be able to pull a Unified Universe by joining all these sub-series together. And those games could still be 99% original with their design and content, but putting just a few small nods here and there that would come a long way to unify the entire Mario IP (instead of making Amethyst Waluigi to fill a racer slot).

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Been mainly playing Smash and Team Fight Tactics, been keeping this thread up and lurking other various sites where news could come up about a direct. Also talked to Mandy for a bit who said he was gonna pass some info to some PapaGenos. Didn't press him for what it was as I thought it'd be rude. He did however still claim that Crash is the next fighter, so he isn't backing down there. It's do or die next direct, hoping he's right. I'm standing by my statement that Geno will be fighter 77 to be revealed around E3 (rip E3).

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again to circulate, don't get bent out of shape if no Direct shows up for the rest of March. With the Virus still putting the world in chaos, anything is unpredictable with delays still ongoing.
Screenshot_20200316-144247_YouTube.jpg

MattX20

Smash Hero
Still, the rumor about the indie direct happening last week turned out to be true on that part at least, so there's at least some credible information to potentially point at a general direct going forward.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Again to circulate, don't get bent out of shape if no Direct shows up for the rest of March. With the Virus still putting the world in chaos, anything is unpredictable with delays still ongoing.
The fact that it's even a possibility is what scares me. I am curious to know what their original plan back in September was though, if Corona didn't happen. When was the original plan for the Q1 direct and reveal 5 I wonder?

That said, doesn't the Q3/Q4 direct usually show off some next year stuff? We got almost nothing besides "AC delayed, here's the new date" really.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Given the choice, would you guys rather get a true sequel to SMRPG (not a spiritual successor like Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi), or Geno in Smash?
Is there even an answer to that? Both!

Hell, at this point, they might as well put Mallow in Smash too. I want Geno AND Mallow to return to the Mario games!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
THIS. IS. SO. TRUE. This is something that always bothered me about Mario as a franchise (and why Mario as a whole is #5 in my Game Series list). Sure, not everything is gold material for mainline games, but why do they never use their characters in the other sub-series? Like, imagine this scenario:
- Toadsworth in Mario Kart 9.
- The Koopa Bros. from Paper Mario as the World 5 boss for the next 2D Mario, instead of always having to be a Koopaling like Iggy.
- The next Mario Party features a board based on the Glitz Pit from TTYD.
- Bonneton is a town in the next Paper Mario.
- Maple Treeway is a area in the next 3D Mario.
- Waluigi's Island is the final area of Mario & Luigi (featuring Wario & Waluigi as a rival).
- Boshi is a captain in Mario Strikers.
The list goes on...
Thinking about it more, Mario is one of the few franchises that would be able to pull a Unified Universe by joining all these sub-series together. And those games could still be 99% original with their design and content, but putting just a few small nods here and there that would come a long way to unify the entire Mario IP (instead of making Amethyst Waluigi to fill a racer slot).
To be fair, (about your Boshi point) they don¨t have access to the SMRPG. Who knows what they would have done if they would have had owned Geno & co (outside of putting Geno playable in Smash). Maybe put Geno as a warrior for Rosalina which is a lot of people's headcanon? Sure they could buy the rights, but like I said earlier.. If they have not bought the rights to Banjo & Kazooie from Microsoft (a tittle big enough for Nintendo to put on the box art for a Nintendo 64 during the 64 era), I unfortunately can¨t see that they will downright buy them even if it would be awesome (please buy them both Nintendo, you would do magic with them and Square/Microsoft doesn¨t care of those IPs anyway)

That said, yeah the Mario franchise could easily be an "MCU" for the lack of better terms (sort of like how Pokemon is with their weird as multiple timeline issues that they have created with all the remakes) but it¨s clear that Nintendo does not care for that. I was thinking that maybe it could be "creator freedom" but then again, we all know how Shigeru as intervened with games before and heck, Toadsworth is even pretty much "killed off" in the canon concidering the last appearance he has had (that is not the Mario+Luigi remakes) was Mario Sluggers on the Wii

The fact that it's even a possibility is what scares me. I am curious to know what their original plan back in September was though, if Corona didn't happen. When was the original plan for the Q1 direct and reveal 5 I wonder?
While I can¨t speak about the next direct, Byleth was clearly meant to be revealed when s(he) got revealed. Byleth The third wave of the DLC was released around the end of September start of November, and it usually took about 3- months between DLC. And before anyone claims that they switched place with someone else.

A) Do you really think Nintendo is dumb enough to start off with a Fire Emblem character for their second pass when the start of needs to be a strong card to pull people in?
B) Sakurai got an early version of Three Houses. If he was just a last-minute stand-in, Sakurai would never be needing one.
C) They released the trailer for Cindering Shadow DLC pretty much right on cue after Byleths reveal just shows that s(he)was meant as a marketing ploy. You don¨t just randomly decided to add an ad at the last minute. Those things are planned out way in advance.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
What games you guys are currently playing during your isolation? I've been replaying SMRPG, plan to play Breath of the Wild and Battletoads too this week during my vacation.
Smash Ultimate, FE3H, Civilization VI, Final Fantasy VII, Skyrim, Celeste.

And hopefully Super Mario RPG when it hits NSO, as it's the only (good) Mario RPG game I have yet to experience fully.

EmeraldNate

Smash Rookie
What games you guys are currently playing during your isolation? I've been replaying SMRPG, plan to play Breath of the Wild and Battletoads too this week during my vacation.
Been playing Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, SSBU, Pokemon, and FE3H.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I came across this on Twitter and it turns out they are claiming Latin America did a poll and while they provide a video explanation of how it worked out, I unfortunately do not understand how to speak it.

Geno ended up 8th but he has a lot more total votes overall compared to some characters listed higher. I guess they did a system similar to our electoral college. Probably explained in the video provided. Regardless, it is exciting to see Geno as a top requested character in Latin America as well!

https://twitter.com/Andy90El/status/1242253284586463235?s=19

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I came across this on Twitter and it turns out they are claiming Latin America did a poll and while they provide a video explanation of how it worked out, I unfortunately do not understand how to speak it.

Geno ended up 8th but he has a lot more total votes overall compared to some characters listed higher. I guess they did a system similar to our electoral college. Probably explained in the video provided. Regardless, it is exciting to see Geno as a top requested character in Latin America as well!

From what I can tell, while there's a million or so "votes", they counted the specific person once in each case to keep it fair. So it's more like around a thousand votes as a poll.

For instance, Steve has more votes than Rayman, but Rayman was higher overall due to this. The Smash Ballot encouraged to avoid double voting, but it didn't have a way to tell the difference anyway. That, and it was more like a suggestion poll compared to this.

MarioTime

Smash Apprentice

I actually participated in that poll(and yes I voted for Geno)! Let me tell you at the beginning of the poll Geno was only 13th place but at one point he began gaining a ton of votes(he even won against Crono and Doomslayer in a 1v1 votation),getting him in 6th place. They even explained in one video that he was the character with the most progession out of all. Glad he made it to the top 10

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Is there a particular reason people want Bobcut! Zelda more than they want Geno in Latin America?

Puzzling questions for puzzling minds. News at 11.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Whelp, another Tuesday means another 2 days of "omg Nintendo is the announcement being posted today?!". Place your bets on today, tomorrow, or not this week.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Playing Breath of the Wild trying to find all the 999 korok seeds. That'll probably take me like 10 years xD
I haven't gotten them all myself but I know what you get for getting all the seeds and trust me you really don't want to know.

It's **** it's literal **** lol!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Is there a particular reason people want Bobcut! Zelda more than they want Geno in Latin America?

Puzzling questions for puzzling minds. News at 11.
I think that Bobcut Zelda being a cute waifu, being in an upcoming game, who happens to be the sequel of BotW, one of the most beloved game in one of the most beloved game series ever, who also doesn't have a lot of characters in Smash make Zelda fans hold on to a character in hope to see them in Smash (I remember how some people though that we could get a Bokoblin playable after the Plant was revealed, in a rush of both hope and despair).

TL;DR, mainstream appeal and Zelda doesn't have many characters in Smash.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I really hope we finally get that direct announcement today. I've been really bored lately and thanks to the Corona Virus it's gotten even worse. I'm kinda playing Mugen and Team Fortress 2 to ease the wait, but my switch has been getting no use at all. (I even bought Garfield Kart for crying out loud, and it really sucked. I'm never buying games ironically ever again.)

T2by4

Smash Lord

>Botw2 Zelda got more votes than Geno
>A character from a game that isn't even out yet and so many people voted for them
>Mfw

I don't wanna say it's fake news. But it sure is really suspicious that so many people would vote for such a specific character.
1584060328760.png

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Zelda needs an overhaul anyways. I'm sure there are a lot of people that genuinely want Botw Zelda for the sake that current Zelda is pretty underwhelming. I'd be down for another Zelda but I would rather get some unique LoZ characters over more versions of Link, Zelda and Ganon.

The take away is that Geno is top 10 and among a very competitive field. Arguably beats characters ranked higher than him in a popular vote by hundreds of votes. Could have been top 5.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
1585062146570m.jpg

They're gonna announce the Direct tomorrow, r-right guys?

Edit: oof

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Zelda needs an overhaul anyways. I'm sure there are a lot of people that genuinely want Botw Zelda for the sake that current Zelda is pretty underwhelming. I'd be down for another Zelda but I would rather get some unique LoZ characters over more versions of Link, Zelda and Ganon.

The take away is that Geno is top 10 and among a very competitive field. Arguably beats characters ranked higher than him in a popular vote by hundreds of votes. Could have been top 5.
Geno's usually been top 10 in a lot of polls these days, so it shows how wanted he is

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Something I just found out about the "poll": it's actualy a tournament. You can see it when you look at the total number of votes each character got and realise that Sora got less than Botw2 Zelda. Geno also aparently went from pretty low in it to top 10, to keep it on Geno.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still kinda think tonight might be possible for an announcement. They announced the AC direct at like 5PM EST, and some of the Smash presentations in the evening, for two days in advance. If one day in advance I think it would be in the morning

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
If we are not getting one this one, then it has to be a covid19 no matter if Fatman's sources are right nor not.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It would be cool if the programers for Smash Remix add Geno to the roster as unlikely as that is.
If Project+ ended up putting Geno in like they did with Knuckles, that would get me playing a Smash game that isn't Ultimate again. It seems like that won't happen for a while though as I think Lyn and Isaac were planned for P:M along side Knuckles at one point. If they were planning on adding new characters, they would have to come first.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, remember to not burn yourself and/or others if a direct doesn't show up.
Screenshot_20191022-090827_YouTube.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom