• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Has it? Do we have sales numbers for SMRPG re-releases?
I’m getting flashbacks to the time I tried to find the total sales numbers for SMRPG and how incredibly and unapologetically incorrect I was. I was (completely understandably) bounced the absolute **** out of the thread for the rest of the day.

I could try to total the sales across all re-releases again now that I’m a much wiser man with more “Smashboards street cred” (which is about as useful as using Chuck E. Cheese tickets to pay your taxes), but I dunno if I’m willing to try it again only to find out I was completely off once more.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I’m getting flashbacks to the time I tried to find the total sales numbers for SMRPG and how incredibly and unapologetically incorrect I was. I was (completely understandably) bounced the absolute **** out of the thread for the rest of the day.

I could try to total the sales across all re-releases again now that I’m a much wiser man with more “Smashboards street cred” (which is about as useful as using Chuck E. Cheese tickets to pay your taxes), but I dunno if I’m willing to try it again only to find out I was completely off once more.
This seems less like Google-fu and more just needing someone on the inside to give you numbers. I've found an IGN article from last year saying SMRPG is at 7.5 mil worldwide without any sources other than an unsourced wiki page, which does not sound right at all because IIRC, the SNES version is just barely over 2 million worldwide. That's an almost unheard of increase for re-releases even over multiple generations.

If you can find solid numbers that actually source something reliable like NPD (and not fake numbers like VGchartz), feel free.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Aren't people still pissed about what he did during the Byleth reveal?
To whom I say "get over it". He got everyone really good, especially those who are going to hate on a person for doing a fake reaction. It was genius, really.

That said, I would like to know his actual, true, first-time-watching reaction. I'm sure it was some annoyance and disappointment, but obviously nowhere close to the faked one he posted.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
People complaining about sword users in the Geno thread? You do realize that Geno is a weapon user too, right?
D1F902F8-BB70-4AFA-A636-A53BCE7227D7.jpeg

Yes I am jumping at any chance to repost this image.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
What do I have to do in the “discord tag”? My English isn’t native and don’t know what it means. (Wanna vote for Geno!)
It’s the last 4 digits in your discord profile name, you can find it under your profile page

QQS

Smash Lord
Make your guess! I’m guessing Bowser Jr. is moving up, flying with the Clown Car to the sky, while Geno will be placed between him and Luma! (I’m betting also he is #76 or #77). He seems like a good entry to let us breathe in peace.

CCF9C17E-D4D9-4B0B-AB63-21F0BB3CD78B.jpeg

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I'm 100% rooting for Geno, I may have showed up late to this party, but I honestly want for longtime fans of Geno that moment of victory.

And hey, I just upgraded my pfp for Geno's triumphant return, let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
mfw i put geno into both of the options in the papagenos ballot
1580996773765.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to do some theorycraft about 6 without naming names because yesterday was a big day. Mandycan, Markomaro, and now Sakurai himself have all very heavily implied that a Direct will happen the week of the 10th so we're at worst a week away from finally knowing who 6 is. I want to start with the 4chan post that like, no joke, a dozen people have PM'd me and asked me to express my opinions on:

1580661889586.png

I feel like this is significant but not for the reasons people expect. Do I believe 6 used Bayonetta as a true base? No. Do I believe 6 shares key properties with Bayo? Yes. This is the takeaway. Contrary to popular belief, Mii Swordsman and Duck Hunt were not bases for Hero and Banjo. Proportion wise, Hero has more in common with Ike and Banjo with Mario so what the heck is going on? These characters share key properties with each other that aided with the creation of new characters. Like MC Hammer, let's break it down:

Mii Swordsman and Hero- What's a big trait that these characters share that nobody else does? It's definitely not the sword. Hero has a shield but so do all three Links. The answer is weirdly obvious but has alluded a lot of people: they're the only two swordsmen that fire multiple projectiles out of their hands. The Links use bows and Robin's projectiles are tied to tomes and a meter. This is why Mii Swordsman is tied to Hero.

Duck Hunt and Banjo: This one is a lot more obvious. In a silly way, Duck Hunt and Banjo are both weapon users. Their "weapons" are a duck and a breegull. Both Ms. Quackers and Kazooie have similar hitbox properties to swords but, obviously, they're not always in Duck Hunt and Banjo's hands. Ms. Quackers rides Duck Hunt's back and Kazooie is in Banjo's backpack. As weapon users, this is totally unique to them. Olimar and Rosalina are technically weapon users too but their "weapons" have hurtboxes and are always out. This is what makes Banjo and Duck Hunt unique.

Simon/Richter and Byleth: Again, pretty obvious. These are the only characters in the game that have multiple whip attacks. ZSS has a whip but it functions much differently and used for fewer attacks. The Belmont Boys use the whip for most of their physical attacks. ZSS uses it as a grab, USmash, and side special. The two physical attacks both have elemental properties. With this in mind, Byleth's whip attacks are significantly more similar to the Belmont's than ZSS.

Bayonetta and 6- As we highlighted, these glitches noticed in the past tie into properties that future characters have. This now makes us ask: what's particularly unique about Bayonetta? Well, she has Bats Within but, as noted in the 4chan post, it's an attack glitch so it's based on an attack. Is it guns? No because Joker uses guns too. Is it Witch Time? No because, despite its unique properties, it's still a counter move. What is it then? Perhaps turning to the past will give us clues.

We know that Bayonetta in Smash 4 was based on ZSS. Both of these characters share a lot of properties so it makes sense. Both are tall, thin, have long legs, and primarily fight with kicks. What separates Bayo from ZSS though? In the last paragraph, we noted a few things but these properties aren't unique to Bayo. What is truly unique to Bayo? The answer is auto-combos, especially with aerials.

Bayonetta has a unique property that for most of her attacks, she will continue to attack as long as you keep holding down a button. This is especially notable with most of her aerials. Her uair and nair have her spinning like a goob and wildly firing bullets. She will do this until she hits the ground. Most aerials are a single attack or a quick flurry of attacks before stopping. Bayo will keep going as long as she's in the air.

The next unique property is, again, string/auto attacks. Most characters only have this as their jab and/or "flurry attack." Bayo's jab, ftilt, Witch Twist, After Burner kick (grounded and aerial), and fair can all do this. One of the reasons people loathed Bayo in Smash 4 was because she was the only character that could literally jab lock characters in the air. Again, these are PHYSICAL attacks. These are auto-combos with her hands and especially her legs.

This is where we get to the center of the arena. What does this analysis tell us? 6 will likely have physical auto-combos (particularly kicks), potentially in the air as well because those are the properties that are totally unique to Bayonetta and no one else. This is why I think it's important to keep this in mind when considering who 6 is. On that note, this practically confirms it's not Geno. Geno's only physical in the sense that he literally launches parts of his body and, given Bayo doesn't have ballistics of any kind, I think it's safe to say that a hypothetical Geno would likely not share unique properties with Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Decided to do some theorycraft about 6 without naming names because yesterday was a big day. Mandycan, Markomaro, and now Sakurai himself have all very heavily implied that a Direct will happen the week of the 10th so we're at worst a week away from finally knowing who 6 is. I want to start with the 4chan post that like, no joke, a dozen people have PM'd me and asked me to express my opinions on:

View attachment 261222

I feel like this is significant but not for the reasons people expect. Do I believe 6 used Bayonetta as a true base? No. Do I believe 6 shares key properties with Bayo? Yes. This is the takeaway. Contrary to popular belief, Mii Swordsman and Duck Hunt were not bases for Hero and Banjo. Proportion wise, Hero has more in common with Ike and Banjo with Mario so what the heck is going on? These characters share key properties with each other that aided with the creation of new characters. Like MC Hammer, let's break it down:

Mii Swordsman and Hero- What's a big trait that these characters share that nobody else does? It's definitely not the sword. Hero has a shield but so do all three Links. The answer is weirdly obvious but has alluded a lot of people: they're the only two swordsmen that fire multiple projectiles out of their hands. The Links use bows and Robin's projectiles are tied to tomes and a meter. This is why Mii Swordsman is tied to Hero.

Duck Hunt and Banjo: This one is a lot more obvious. In a silly way, Duck Hunt and Banjo are both weapon users. Their "weapons" are a duck and a breegull. Both Ms. Quackers and Kazooie have similar hitbox properties to swords but, obviously, they're not always in Duck Hunt and Banjo's hands. Ms. Quackers rides Duck Hunt's back and Kazooie is in Banjo's backpack. As weapon users, this is totally unique to them. Olimar and Rosalina are technically weapon users too but their "weapons" have hurtboxes and are always out. This is what makes Banjo and Duck Hunt unique.

Simon/Richter and Byleth: Again, pretty obvious. These are the only characters in the game that have multiple whip attacks. ZSS has a whip but it functions much differently and used for fewer attacks. The Belmont Boys use the whip for most of their physical attacks. ZSS uses it as a grab, USmash, and side special. The two physical attacks both have elemental properties. With this in mind, Byleth's whip attacks are significantly more similar to the Belmont's than ZSS.

Bayonetta and 6- As we highlighted, these glitches noticed in the past tie into properties that future characters have. This now makes us ask: what's particularly unique about Bayonetta? Well, she has Bats Within but, as noted in the 4chan post, it's an attack glitch so it's based on an attack. Is it guns? No because Joker uses guns too. Is it Witch Time? No because, despite its unique properties, it's still a counter move. What is it then? Perhaps turning to the past will give us clues.

We know that Bayonetta in Smash 4 was based on ZSS. Both of these characters share a lot of properties so it makes sense. Both are tall, thin, have long legs, and primarily fight with kicks. What separates Bayo from ZSS though? In the last paragraph, we noted a few things but these properties aren't unique to Bayo. What is truly unique to Bayo? The answer is auto-combos, especially with aerials.

Bayonetta has a unique property that for most of her attacks, she will continue to attack as long as you keep holding down a button. This is especially notable with most of her aerials. Her uair and nair have her spinning like a goob and wildly firing bullets. She will do this until she hits the ground. Most aerials are a single attack or a quick flurry of attacks before stopping. Bayo will keep going as long as she's in the air.

The next unique property is, again, string/auto attacks. Most characters only have this as their jab and/or "flurry attack." Bayo's jab, ftilt, Witch Twist, After Burner kick (grounded and aerial), and fair can all do this. One of the reasons people loathed Bayo in Smash 4 was because she was the only character that could literally jab lock characters in the air. Again, these are PHYSICAL attacks. These are auto-combos with her hands and especially her legs.

This is where we get to the center of the arena. What does this analysis tell us? 6 will likely have physical auto-combos (particularly kicks), potentially in the air as well because those are the properties that are totally unique to Bayonetta and no one else. This is why I think it's important to keep this in mind when considering who 6 is. On that note, this practically confirms it's not Geno. Geno's only physical in the sense that he literally launches parts of his body and, given Bayo doesn't have ballistics of any kind, I think it's safe to say that a hypothetical Geno would likely not share unique properties with Bayonetta.
Sounds like you’ve hit the

*puts on sunglasses*

jackpot

TableCloth

Smash Cadet

View attachment 261222

I'm probably wrong but based on this I'm thinking CP6 could be Hayabusa.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

View attachment 261222

So basically we possibly have 4 days to guess who 6 is and the main hint is that their moveset will likely have physical auto combos that aren't restricted to the standard Jab combo

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So basically we possibly have 4 days to guess who 6 is and the main hint is that their moveset will likely have physical auto combos that aren't restricted to the standard Jab combo
Pretty much. To be a turd, I'm not naming names but, yes, this analysis tells us that 6 has a very high probability of being a physical fighter that primarily fights with kicks as their main form of attacking. Again, physical, meaning this practically torpedos another swordsman or a projectile oriented character. This is a character that primarily fights hand to hand, so to speak.

Antho

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 261222

Isn’t it totally possible that these properties may be also used for a character that’s not 6 as well? I mean, the Mii Swordsfighter and Duck Hunt glitches happened kind of way before Hero and Banjo were announced, like in January 2019 I believe, so couldn’t this mean this character could also be revealed around E3?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Pretty much. To be a turd, I'm not naming names but, yes, this analysis tells us that 6 has a very high probability of being a physical fighter that primarily fights with kicks as their main form of attacking. Again, physical, meaning this practically torpedos another swordsman or a projectile oriented character. This is a character that primarily fights hand to hand, so to speak.
Hand to hand, or I suppose foot to foot, huh? Initially I heard auto-combo and assumed Dante, or maybe Hayabusa. I suppose it could be Hayabusa if they based him more off the Dead or Alive games but that seems doubtful. Sooo... hm. A Tekken character? Someone from another fighting game or a beat em up? I’m blanking here lol.

Maybe it’s Geno from the upcoming action-rpg remake of SMRPG ala the FF7 remake

EDIT: my brain is locked on Chun-Li

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Isn’t it totally possible that these properties may be also used for a character that’s not 6 as well? I mean, the Mii Swordsfighter and Duck Hunt glitches happened kind of way before Hero and Banjo were announced, like in January 2019 I believe, so couldn’t this mean this character could also be revealed around E3?
Potentially but, looking at datamines for DLC, we've definitely seen this sort of thing before. Joker was based off properties of Sheik and Terry was based off properties of Ryu, looking at the hard data. Whether they're 6 or not is kind of irrelevant. The most basic takeaway is one of the future characters is going to based off unique properties of Bayonetta.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Either way someone is gonna be wrong, and it'll be interesting to see who. Mandy says it's crash and the other guy from last year assured us it was Hayabusa. Guess we'll find out which of them is right soon.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

View attachment 261222

Can't wait for chun li

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Sakurai saying that he's going to talk about FP6 - 11 in his next column doesn't mean he's going to talk about the characters specifically. He could just talk about how Nintendo chose them or when it was decided to do more or even how they're not going to be done any time soon. We are ONLY promised 6 characters before December 2021. They could drop all 6 in November 2021 and it would be within their obligation.

Antho

Smash Apprentice
Potentially but, looking at datamines for DLC, we've definitely seen this sort of thing before. Joker was based off properties of Sheik and Terry was based off properties of Ryu, looking at the hard data. Whether they're 6 or not is kind of irrelevant. The most basic takeaway is one of the future characters is going to based off unique properties of Bayonetta.
Yeah, that’s true. I probably shouldn’t get my hopes up, but I’m wondering if Waluigi could, hypothetically, fit with this, since his assist did use repeating motions a lot that could fit that way (I.E. the burying animation). I’d rather have Geno before Waluigi, though.

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

View attachment 261222

This is interesting, but I have suspicions that it could also end up being a later fighter. I wouldn't call out that the direct is happening too soon either, but the nod by Sakurai was weird enough... Why would he talk about the next fighter pass when none of them were confirmed yet? But I can't see them revealing another fighter so soon, right? It's only been about a month since we got Byleth.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think we can safely rule out Heihachi in this case. If they wanted to use a character for a potential base or have some characteristics in common, it would make more sense to use Ryu/Ken for it. And if it's not Geno, there is a possibility said character could be a Bandai Namco character like KOS-MOS for example. That, and I'm beginning to wonder if we should potentially consider Morrigan from Darkstalkers since she is known for using kicks like Chun Li at times

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai saying that he's going to talk about FP6 - 11 in his next column doesn't mean he's going to talk about the characters specifically. He could just talk about how Nintendo chose them or when it was decided to do more or even how they're not going to be done any time soon. We are ONLY promised 6 characters before December 2021. They could drop all 6 in November 2021 and it would be within their obligation.
On one hand, yes, this is technically correct. On the other hand, the Smash fanbase would probably induce global anarchy if we had to wait a year and ten months for another character. It's only been about three weeks since Byleth's announcement and we all are at a point that we barely tolerate each other. Another month of this and people would start building guillotines in their garages.

D

Deleted member

I think we can safely rule out Heihachi in this case. If they wanted to use a character for a potential base or have some characteristics in common, it would make more sense to use Ryu/Ken for it. And if it's not Geno, there is a possibility said character could be a Bandai Namco character like KOS-MOS for example. That, and I'm beginning to wonder if we should potentially consider Morrigan from Darkstalkers since she is known for using kicks like Chun Li at times
Waluigi would use kick attacks. I feel Chun Li would be more straight off of ZSS instead Bayonetta. Also Morrigon would need some serious censorship.

Last edited by a moderator:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
On one hand, yes, this is technically correct. On the other hand, the Smash fanbase would probably induce global anarchy if we had to wait a year and ten months for another character. It's only been about three weeks since Byleth's announcement and we all are at a point that we barely tolerate each other. Another month of this and people would start building guillotines in their garages.
Oh, trust me, i'll be one of the first to raise a pitchfork. I'm just saying it's technically possible. I'd love a direct this month, but I get the feeling we're going to get one in March instead. I PRAY that i'm wrong and it's next week.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
O.o What if the character Nintendo forced him to add were Banjo and Kazooie? O.o
I¨m asking this because B&K is the only franchise that Sakurai has been openly come out and say that he is a fan of
Excuse me? I thought Sakurai was also a big fan of Persona and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters as well.
View attachment 261141

Mfw they make geno a mii costume all the way at FP11
That would be worser than the Ridley shadow tease in Smash 4 honestly. They showed his shadow on Pyrosphere in the April 2014 Smash Direct than didn't show off he was just a stage hazard until the 50-Fact Extravaganza Direct half a year later. People thought he was playable when they first saw that shadow only to find out he was not to discover half a year later only to have their dreams shattered. 2 years to find out if Geno's fate is sealed or not only to find out his Mii costume returns at the end of the DLC would feel like a big middle finger to the fans honestly. It's better to take the bandage off right away or soon whether than much later.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Waluigi would use kick attacks. I feel Chun Li would be more straight off of ZSS instead Bayonetta. Also Morrigon would need some serious censorship.
I don't think it's Waluigi going by this info. Given that ZSS was used to help create Bayonetta, the implication I'm getting here is its another female fighter.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I don't think it's Waluigi going by this info. Given that ZSS was used to help create Bayonetta, the implication I'm getting here is its another female fighter.
Maybe it could be Shantae or Arle? Besides those two, maybe Chun Li is our best bet after all but I think it's gotta be a highly demanded female fighter since we didn't get one sole dedicated one in our DLC Run yet.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with this to an extent. A Tekken character would pretty much be guaranteed be based off Ryu. As for Hayabusa, we literally already have two ninja characters to base him off of: Sheik and Gre- wait for it - ninja. That's why I rule out these. I imagine Crash being pretty straightforward and could honestly probably get away with being based on Mario. Maybe I just lack creativity but I kind of draw a blank when it comes to potential Crash gimmicks but, on that note, not everyone has to have hard gimmicks either. Beyond that, auto-combos really don't sound like a Crash thing and I sincerely doubt he would have a moveset built around kicks.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I honestly don't think this Bayo stuff means much of anything, the Mii Sword Fighter and Duck Hunt stuff was in a very different ballpark glitch wise and was only give legitimacy due to the only DLC character (Plant) doing the exact same thing as them. For all we know, this could have just been an issue with patching or maybe something else, but there's really no hard evidence that it means anything for FP6. Not to mention, I don't think it's confirmed that Byleth used Simon as a base like that and even if he did, that still doesn't mean all visual glitches = DLC base.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I agree with this to an extent. A Tekken character would pretty much be guaranteed be based off Ryu. As for Hayabusa, we literally already have two ninja characters to base him off of: Sheik and Gre- wait for it - ninja. That's why I rule out these. I imagine Crash being pretty straightforward and could honestly probably get away with being based on Mario. Maybe I just lack creativity but I kind of draw a blank when it comes to potential Crash gimmicks but, on that note, not everyone has to have hard gimmicks either. Beyond that, auto-combos really don't sound like a Crash thing and I sincerely doubt he would have a moveset built around kicks.
Crash definitely is not known for auto-combo like movesets, so yeah I don't think its him either.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
1581003393358.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom