• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I honestly don't think this Bayo stuff means much of anything, the Mii Sword Fighter and Duck Hunt stuff was in a very different ballpark glitch wise and was only give legitimacy due to the only DLC character (Plant) doing the exact same thing as them. For all we know, this could have just been an issue with patching or maybe something else, but there's really no hard evidence that it means anything for FP6. Not to mention, I don't think it's confirmed that Byleth used Simon as a base like that and even if he did, that still doesn't mean all visual glitches = DLC base.
The argument isn't bases but unique properties. Mii Swordsman and Hero are the only swordsmen that can fire multiple things out of their hands, Banjo and Duck Hunt both use a "weapon" without a hurtbox that's not always out, Byleth and the Belmont Boys use physical whips, etc.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hmm, interesting.
On one hand this means that Sakurai really doesn't pick who's getting in, meaning that arguing that Sakurai wants a character doesn't mean as much as we thought it did.
On the other hand, this means that Nintendo themselves wanted to include Banjo & Kazooie because they knew the fans wanted it, which means that the likelihood of someone like Geno or Crash being revealed at E3 has just gone up.
Either way, it's good to finally have clarification on that. Here's hoping Nintendo wanted to put Geno in.

I disagree. I think the fact that Nintendo were the ones who picked the DLC actually bodes decently well for Geno, because it heavily implies that they also chose most if not all of the characters for base game, which included the highly requested Ridley and K. Rool as fighters.

>A dude with long white hair brandishing a long, thin katana isn't anime as ****
View attachment 261136
I would prefer it if you don'tn't.

I wouldn't be so quick to spike that proverbial football just yet, but I do agree that it makes him a bit less likely now.

Are you sure about that, my guy?

The rusted chains of prison moons are shattered by the sun?
I like it!

Same as it ever was...

Occam's Razor: They just couldn't finish him in time.

Do you believe in [GRAVITY], Polarthief?
View attachment 261138
You clearly don't know what anime is.
images (4).jpeg

This is anime

Sephiroth.png

This is not.

Anime doesn't mean white hair and swords. Don't complain about anime if you don't even know what it is.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hand to hand, or I suppose foot to foot, huh? Initially I heard auto-combo and assumed Dante, or maybe Hayabusa. I suppose it could be Hayabusa if they based him more off the Dead or Alive games but that seems doubtful. Sooo... hm. A Tekken character? Someone from another fighting game or a beat em up? I’m blanking here lol.

Maybe it’s Geno from the upcoming action-rpg remake of SMRPG ala the FF7 remake

EDIT: my brain is locked on Chun-Li
I wish. I want Ms. Thighs in the game too. :love:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Fighter 6 isn't Geno, but an E3 reveal, then that's fine. We've waited this long, so a little while longer probably won't kill us even if we do act impatiently at times. Whoever fighter 6 is implied to be potentially a female fighter known for using autocombos. If we take Capcom or SNK out of the equation if we believe that Dante is the Capcom rep and SNK got everything it will for DLC, there is one other company we could potentially look at: Arc System Works.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think Waluigi actually makes a lot of sense. Think about it - his legs are his defining feature. So he'd end up using them the most for attacks. No other masculine character in the game has long, thin legs. The closest is probably Falcon and his are much more muscular. So they'd have to use a female.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
Seriously drawing a blank as to who it could be if these properties from Bayonetta are indicative of our next DLC characters. Perhaps we’re in the market for another “So far out of left field it’s in the bleachers” kinda character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think Waluigi actually makes a lot of sense. Think about it - his legs are his defining feature. So he'd end up using them the most for attacks. No other masculine character in the game has long, thin legs. The closest is probably Falcon and his are much more muscular. So they'd have to use a female.
Waluigi's been an assist trophy 3 times in a row, so I don't think it's him. That, and the recent interview with Sakurai also implied the character was a third party choice.

D

Deleted member

Waluigi's been an assist trophy 3 times in a row, so I don't think it's him. That, and the recent interview with Sakurai also implied the character was a third party choice.
Where in that interview?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Fighter 6 isn't Geno, but an E3 reveal, then that's fine. We've waited this long, so a little while longer probably won't kill us even if we do act impatiently at times. Whoever fighter 6 is implied to be potentially a female fighter known for using autocombos. If we take Capcom or SNK out of the equation if we believe that Dante is the Capcom rep and SNK got everything it will for DLC, there is one other company we could potentially look at: Arc System Works.
I know nothing about Arc System Works so who would be their most likely potential rep for Smash?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
View attachment 261244
This is anime

View attachment 261245
This is not.

Anime doesn't mean white hair and swords. Don't complain about anime if you don't even know what it is.
They both very much have an anime aesthetic, which is what is meant in this context. Just because sephiroth isn't literally a Japanese animated character, doesn't mean he doesn't share that kind of aesthetic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I know nothing about Arc System Works so who would be their mostly likely potential rep for Smash?
Well, their two main franchises are Blazblue and Guilty Gear, so they could easily pick characters like Sol Badguy, Ragna, Makoto, Taokaka, or even Baiken. There are a lot of potential candidates between both to pick from

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Based Sakurai's most recent interview, we also have to keep in mind that the character would also have to be someone that corporate Nintendo would willingly pull the lever for. I feel like that alone eliminates a ton of prospects, implying they're either a big fan favorite or super iconic. Again, this is the character that would be leading off Season 2 and pretty much be setting the tone for the rest so it's definitely a big decision. Who would Nintendo choose to not only surprise people but come out guns blazing?

Dynamic Worlok

Based Sakurai's most recent interview, we also have to keep in mind that the character would also have to be someone that corporate Nintendo would willingly pull the lever for. I feel like that alone eliminates a ton of prospects, implying they're either a big fan favorite or super iconic. Again, this is the character that would be leading off Season 2 and pretty much be setting the tone for the rest so it's definitely a big decision. Who would Nintendo choose to not only surprise people but come out guns blazing?
What shill picks fit that model, I wonder..

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Waluigi as crazy as it sounds. Or maybe Doomslayer or Bandana Dee.

Firox

Smash Master
View attachment 261244
This is anime

View attachment 261245
This is not.

I mean, you're technically not wrong. "Anime" by definition is both JAPANESE and ANIMATED (as in, traditionally drawing, 2D style). Sephiroth was originally a video game character ONLY, hence technically NOT anime. However, I can see why people would split hairs since:

A) Sephiroth has actually been featured in spin-off anime

B) FF is a pretty stereotypical Japanese RPG

C) He looks and acts like a typical anime villain would

At the end of the day though, arguing that Sephiroth can or can't get into Smash based on "anime status" is both moot and laughable. He's still an iconic VIDEO GAME character.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I mean, you're technically not wrong. "Anime" by definition is both JAPANESE and ANIMATED (as in, traditionally drawing, 2D style). Sephiroth was originally a video game character ONLY, hence technically NOT anime. However, I can see why people would split hairs since:

At the end of the day though, arguing that Sephiroth can or can't get into Smash based on "anime status" is both moot and laughable. He's still an iconic VIDEO GAME character.
If people are gonna try and discount characters cause they look like they were made in Japan I got some bad news for Smash fans lol

Dynamic Worlok

I'm definitely not disputing that, but the dude, by casual definition is totally an anime swordsman. If we're going to get persnickety about the terminology, what can I do?

Edit: personally, I think the real barrier to his entry is the comically absurd length of his sword

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Honestly if it’s a kicker it’s either Wah or Chun. Wah is a huge request and shows that fan-requested upgrades are happening. Chun is a super iconic character from a previously represented 3rd Party franchise, showing that that’s a thing that can happen now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I just don't get peoples' logic regarding "There are too many anime swordmen or anime looking characters." When Nintendo and almost every other company in Smash is Japanese. Game being Japanese and made by Japanese developers obliviously means more Japanese inspired characters.

Honestly if it’s a kicker it’s either Wah or Chun. Wah is a huge request and shows that fan-requested upgrades are happening. Chun is a super iconic character from a previously represented 3rd Party franchise, showing that that’s a thing that can happen now.
Wah Chun sounds like a Chinese genderbent version of Waluigi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there’s gonna be another Capcom Rep, I feel that it would be Phoenix Wright or Dante.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Sakurai did not imply the 6th character was a third party choice whatsoever.

Not sure where you’re getting that from

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
If there’s gonna be another Capcom Rep, I feel that it would be Phoenix Wright or Dante.
See, that makes sense if we’re thinking in the “represent more franchises” context. But just in terms of pure character recognizability, Chun is way more iconic. She’s the female fighting game character. Any fighting game female who kicks and is light and fast is inspired by her.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They both very much have an anime aesthetic, which is what is meant in this context. Just because sephiroth isn't literally a Japanese animated character, doesn't mean he doesn't share that kind of aesthetic.
You're right. White hair and swords are clearly anime tropes. FF is only not in anime style because it's a video game. Even animes aren't anime style in video games. If they made a movie version obviously it would be anime.
Cloud_Advent_Children.jpg

Oh, guess not. Almost like it was never intended to be anime and white hair and swords are just general fantasy things. At least it's still more anime than classic smash Bros characters.
pikachu-174717.jpg
Oh...
download (1).jpeg

Oh damn...
Kirbygroupsmall.jpg
Yikes, maybe this was a mistake.
meta_knight.jpg

Begone foul anime swordsman!

Antho

Smash Apprentice
I might as well also say this, but the fact almost no one has made any guesses as to who 6 is (Mandycan isn’t reliable enough and we don’t talk about the other two) reminds me of the time leading up to Byleth’s reveal where no one had a clue in the world who it was going to be. If it was gonna be Crash as well, I feel like Activision isn’t so good at keeping secrets as well considering I believe both N’Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled got leaked. So, if 6 is going to be revealed next week, the odds of it being first party are kind of high.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Waluigi as crazy as it sounds. Or maybe Doomslayer or Bandana Dee.
I think it's gotta be the Wah. I'm personally on that train. I'd love a double reveal with Wah as 76 and Geno as 77.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
You're right. White hair and swords are clearly anime tropes. FF is only not in anime style because it's a video game. Even animes aren't anime style in video games. If they made a movie version obviously it would be anime.View attachment 261247
Oh, guess not. Almost like it was never intended to be anime and white hair and swords are just general fantasy things. At least it's still more anime than classic smash Bros characters.
View attachment 261249
Oh...
View attachment 261250
Oh damn...
View attachment 261251
View attachment 261253
See, I don't usually talk in this thread, but you can't exactly fault people for saying Cloud and Sephiroth look like anime characters. Besides, calling someone "anime" just as often refers to the general visual style as anything else. It isn't crazy to say that a character who has super spiky hair and those big, sharp, trademark eyes -
1581006474630.png

Looks more anime than someone with more realistic, detailed facial features and eyes ripped straight from Batman: The Animated Series -
1581006585522.png

Call Falcon what you will, I guess, but using a 3d render of Cloud that intentionally looks more realistic to prove that he's no more anime-inspired than other characters is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If I'm totally blunt, Nintendo tends to kick off Smash "reveal seasons" with itself. Melee kicked things off with Peach and Bowser. Brawl was Metaknight, Pit, ZSS, and Wario (and obviously Mario). Smash 4 was Villager and their most iconic characters (Two being Mario and Bowser). Smash 4 DLC was Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy. Ultimate was Inkling (where Mario and Link are the most distinguished shadowy characters), Daisy, and Ridley (Oh, there's Mario again). Ultimate DLC was technically Plant and Mario was in Joker's trailer. Aside from Smash 4 DLC, Nintendo has kicked off Smash reveal seasons with Mario characters somewhere in the mix (although, in a funny way, Bowser Jr's trailer was after Mewtwo's reveal). Either way, it highlights that if first party picks don't kick things off, Mario is usually featured pretty prominently in whatever is.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Also, both Bayonetta and Waluigi love to dance, like a lot...
Wps8Vr.gif

GM_20200206_192440.gif

Just wanted to point that out

Firox

Smash Master
I'm definitely not disputing that, but the dude, by casual definition is totally an anime swordsman. If we're going to get persnickety about the terminology, what can I do?

Edit: personally, I think the real barrier to his entry is the comically absurd length of his sword
Actually, I think you're right about the sword. I was thinking about it yesterday, and Sephiroth's playstyle just really wouldn't work in Smash. So far, Smash bros has always tried to balance reach/priority with frame data and speed. Byleth, for example, has great reach and power but is pretty freaking slow overall. Metaknight has incredibly fast sword strikes, but hits like a feather and lacks reach compared to other swordies. Then you have Sephiroth. Canonically, he is infamous for his incredible speed AND power. Imagine a character with a sword as long as Byleth's lance, attack speed on par with Metaknight, and the mobility of Cloud/Joker. Even if you try to balance him by making his hits do pathetically low damage, not only would that drastically contradict his canonical strength, but if his hits have ANY hitstun whatsoever, you'd never get close enough to land a hit on him. In short, even Cloud is barely able to realistically fit in the context of Smash. Sephiroth would straight up break the game...which is totally something he'd want to do in the first place.

MattX20

Smash Hero
For the love of god, it's not Waluigi. The majority of people who want Waluigi only do so because of memes and not because they actually like the character. That, and his kicks are not autocombo'd, which puts him at direct odds with the description of the physical attacker for Fighter 6.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

You're right. White hair and swords are clearly anime tropes. FF is only not in anime style because it's a video game. Even animes aren't anime style in video games. If they made a movie version obviously it would be anime.View attachment 261247
View attachment 261249
Oh...
View attachment 261250
Oh damn...
View attachment 261251
View attachment 261253
I think you're wholly misunderstanding my statement. I'm not saying that the white hair and sword are what make him an anime style character. I'm saying his design makes him anime style. His slender jawline, his eyes, his features in general are quite clearly anime in their theming. The white butt length hair and sword that's twice his size is simply icing on the anime cake. Cloud is even moreso than Sephiroth, what with his spiky hair that would take a metric **** ton of hair gel, and his impossible to use sword, his boyish yet feminine features. To deny at the very least an anime influence is either being willfully oblivious or outright contrarian.

For the love of god, it's not Waluigi. The majority of people who want Waluigi only do so because of memes and not because they actually like the character.
That's not really fair to claim, considering just how much flak we get for the same presumption. Chill out, my guy

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For the "fighter based on Bayonneta", I think that we're looking at the wrong thing. I mean, the glitch happens because of the shield(shielding a Smash attack), and yet you all overlook Bat Within, which is a mechanic unique to her and her dodges.

I think that it could be Reimu, with the potential unique shield mechanic being grazing or something. Even if we take the "streaming attacks in the air", and even just being in the air in general, Reimu fit both, with her being more of an airfighter in general, and one of her attack in one of the older Touhou fighting game being about her comboing 4 air kicks.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
For the love of god, it's not Waluigi. The majority of people who want Waluigi only do so because of memes and not because they actually like the character. That, and his kicks are not autocombo'd, which puts him at direct odds with the description of the physical attacker for Fighter 6.
Been wanting Waluigi since Brawl, basically before memes existed. So kindly shut up.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Been wanting Waluigi since Brawl, basically before memes existed. So kindly shut up.
Same. Waluigi might be a meme to some, but I play him in every spin off game where Petey Piranha or Bowser Jr. aren't playable. He's a character I wanted to star in a game basically since his inception. And since the rumor that a character might be upgraded, I've been pushing for Wah HARD. Paragon leak has only fueled the fire more.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
A fan since Mario Party 3 on N64, but whatever, guess it's all memes now...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Actually, I just thought of something... Pretty much every reveal trailer has had a first party character front and center, usually Mario, Link, DK or a combination. There's only a few exceptions:

Little Mac: Samus (but Little Mac is first party anyways)

Lucina and Robin: Captain Falcon (Nintendo owns Fire Emblem too so who cares?)

Bayonetta: Pit

Simon/Richter: Luigi

Isabelle: Uh, herself

Ken/Inceniroar: Little Mac but also Villager, K. Rool, and Bowser Jr.

On this scale, Terry's pretty much it in the entirety of Smash history unless you count Nintendo hotdoging it's own consoles at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom