• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I just wanna comment on the whole “anime swordsman thing”

If a game series is based around melee weapons, the hero will have a sword. Always. It’s simple, versatile, and they can dramatically clash with the bad guy and the camera zooms in on their faces as they get real close dramatically.
Smash almost always goes for the main character in a series, so it’ll always be the sword guy. It’s like being annoyed that hand to hand focused fighting game protags punch.

And I know people always bring up axes and lances, but to be honest I don’t think these characters would end up that functionally different from sword characters.
I think it's mainly that people want to see different weapons represented even if they'd functionally be the same. Like, if Edelgard or some other axe user managed to get in, she wouldn't really be different from the way Ike swings his sword. But it would be more recognizable for being different. It alleviates more of the same-y look for characters, especially for the FE crowd.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think it's mainly that people want to see different weapons represented even if they'd functionally be the same. Like, if Edelgard or some other axe user managed to get in, she wouldn't really be different from the way Ike swings his sword. But it would be more recognizable for being different. It alleviates more of the same-y look for characters, especially for the FE crowd.
Yeah I totally understand the visual aspect of it, that’s more what I was trying to address with the first part. Main characters tend to have swords, which is why even though there exist characters in Fire Emblem and other series with lots of different unique weapons, the ones who get in use swords.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Joker is on the screen, steals from more characters, poses "Looking cool, Joker!"

"So...the one who ACTUALLY committed the crime was YOU!"

Joker: ?!

"No alibi, no justice, no dream, no HOPE!"

Joker: !

"It's time for you pay for you to pay for your crimes, TAKE THIS~!"

Joker: !!!

*blast zone noises*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So a lot has gone down here in a short amount of time, and of course some of it was people freaking out because they cannot read or research so @papagenos had to post something to clarify, but I digress...

Some actual progress has been made, and based on what Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has been saying...I am now SO VERY CLOSE TO GOING FULL TEAM LLOYD IT HURTS! I say this because Reggie's words at last years VGAs have so far rung true and it would lead me to believe that we would get Nightmare, but getting another fighting game character after Terry seems like a bit much and Tekken would be the choice to pull from but we all know that even with a the option for two side-B moves Tekken is way to complicated to implement in Smash. Smash players are already wracking their brains to do a simple double fireball motion, so there is no way Tekken could come into play. You may say we've gotten two JRPG characters, but there is a difference here because JRPG characters are actually requested where as fighting game characters really are not.

You know what, I'll just say it here: unless something big happens, I'm going full Lloyd Irving. If I'm wrong then oh well, you can't win them all and it will likely be a Bamco rep overall anyway. Glad to see a lot of you are also on the Lloyd train, just a little sad it took something this big to even make him an option for some of you when we've already had good evidence behind him for months now.
FACTS, I've been thinking Lloyd for so long and only now is he get recognized as more likely.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have a question...

How did you know about some sort of Smash announcement happening on Tuesday? And did you know anything about it being a Twitter Spirits reveal? Or even it being related to Resident Evil at all?

Also, why did that Discord private chat suddenly start allowing you to begin talking about Lloyd, Sol, and Nightmare after these spirits were announced?
Educated guess. Last week, a bunch of insiders were acting weird all on the same day and making jokes that there was going to be an announcement of some kind on Tuesday. I thought it was ****posting but I made a mental note of it anyways. I had no idea what it was going to be but when insiders start acting "goofy" it usually means a surprise big announcement.

As for the second question, Sabi gave me permission to. They asked me to "share my thoughts with the class", I asked them if that was truly alright/safe, and they approved.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Hey, while we're on the topic of Geno mii costume, how come no one ripped it from the smash 4? I really want to give it a head (in non sexual way of course) and make some memes with it

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I'm racking my brain trying to think what changed over the course of seemingly half a day that has given us Fatman (mostly) Unchained.
Why do you do this to me?
FatmanUnchained.png

I'm going to post the evidence for Lloyd later today hopefully. Obviously it's not going to be as in-depth as Geno's analysis but I want get it out that,if he's not 5, he's probably 6 or 7.
GenoSleep.png
Oh boy, STORY TIME!
http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/486871185
Obviously this is definitely fake, but still, what do you think of this?
1574877046431.jpg
Definitely fake. He looks way too stiff.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
I've said that quite a bit too. It makes perfect sense that he's the 77th fighter. If he doesn't appear by then, we should start to worry.

No we should not. I dont think sakurai or nintendo would care about the order of what dlc character gets shown. Look at joker he would make sense to be number 75 but no hes 71. So if genos not number 77 I would not worry about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait no Indies? That means no Reimu? No... No...
Sad flayn.png

damn that **** sucks..

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Considering modding mii stuff into the game is no longer considered an impossibility, I'm doubting the validity of that image. Plus it just doesn't look right

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
It's starting to feel like the lead up to the November direct in 2018 where all these theories were going on and it was gonna lead up to this big crazy reveal.
Except less vitriol due to Grinches.
I like this way better.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
See normally I'd agree with you but considering five of the seven Fire Emblem characters, which all consist of swordfighters, have the same three specials :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike: and we have another pair of swordfighters that have similar movesets :ultlink::ultyounglink: (and :ulttoonlink: if you really want to count him since he's not anime, at least not in the way the aforementioned characters are) I feel the complaints are justified.

EDIT: you could probably count :ultpit::ultdarkpit: as well but they don't use swords as much as they use dual butterknives.
The problem with your argument is that I think that only applies to FIRE EMBLEM. Again, at least less than 15 characters are "anime swordfighters." Around 70 or so aren't, so at that point people are picking at nits. So no, I don't think the complaints are justified in the slightest for people saying "oh ANOTHER 'anime swordfighter' in Smash." If they changed "Smash" to "from Fire Emblem," then sure, I'd be more willing to see the opposing argument. But even then, as EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman has talked about before, Fire Emblem only has that many swordfighters due to a certain set of circumstances and the like.

And Link and Young Link are NOT anime swordfighters. That's just reaching for characters to fit the bill at that point.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

And Link and Young Link are NOT anime swordfighters. That's just reaching for characters to fit the bill at that point.
Young link is more of a zoner than a swordfighter, honestly. With how fast his projectiles come out, it's easy to fall into that playstyle

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Brace yourself for another seemingly likely character joining the Fighter #5 graveyard. At this point it feels like the opposite of Oprah... and it is honestly a little amusing in a sick sort of way almost.

"YOU don't get to be Fighter #5!"
"And YOU don't get to be Fighter #5!"

And so on and so forth.
20191127_134100.jpg

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Hey Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , is there any possibility that Lloyd could be a Steve-type leakbait and Nightmare is the real character? Only ask because Steve was rumored and pushed around for months, even before release, whereas Banjo wasn’t talked about until April and had only a short amount of time to circulate amongst the insiders before his reveal. And you’ve said that Lloyd has also been rumored and pushed around for months, whereas Nightmare wasn’t talked about until relatively recently, and would also have a short amount of time to circulate amongst the insiders before his reveal.

I know you said you have a lot of evidence to suggest that Lloyd is coming at some point, but does Nightmare even have a chance here? Or even a third Namco character that they’re both leakbait for?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Fatman is saying Lloyd is the most likely DLC 5 character (or character in general).

Which is good for me because I've been on the Yuri/Lloyd train since day 1, even through all the "leaks" not hinting at them.

If Lloyd or Yuri get in; that means that I've been able to guess all the DLC characters at least 2 weeks ahead of time. So far I have a 100% track record, which I've been proud of!
I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but weren't you the guy who was so sure that Lloyd wouldn't be the tales rep that if we got him instead of Yuri you'd buy us all the mii costumes that came with him?

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
So, it might be a little late to say something as tiny and as insignificant as this, and it really isn't like relevant to anything in particular other than me being slightly annoyed every time it happens but uhh...

The word "deconfirmed" isn't actually a word. Nor is its extension "deconfirmation"

The term that should be used, but might never be employed by anyone outside of myself, is "disconfirmed." Disconfirmation is also a correct extension.

That is all. Carry on.

OffBi

Smash Ace
So, it might be a little late to say something as tiny and as insignificant as this, and it really isn't like relevant to anything in particular other than me being slightly annoyed every time it happens but uhh...

The word "deconfirmed" isn't actually a word. Nor is its extension "deconfirmation"

The term that should be used, but might never be employed by anyone outside of myself, is "disconfirmed." Disconfirmation is also a correct extension.

That is all. Carry on.
Hell no, I lived all my life thinking that the term, and I won't change it for something that sounds stupid, so screw you grammar nazi

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Oh, hey! I found it.

https://youtu.be/uyVkvWdn67Y

At exactly 0:57, if you use the , and . keys to move it frame by frame, you get the near-exact shot of that Geno mod. They just took what looks like a still from Aaronitmar's video of the Sm4sh mod from a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

That is all. Carry on.
Disconfirmation has been deconfirmed:yeahboi:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Brace yourself for another seemingly likely character joining the Fighter #5 graveyard. At this point it feels like the opposite of Oprah... and it is honestly a little amusing in a sick sort of way almost.

"YOU don't get to be Fighter #5!"
"And YOU don't get to be Fighter #5!"

And so on and so forth.View attachment 248378
Sabi has a check list in one hand and a gun in the other.

Sabi: "Are you Fighter 5?"
Ryu H: "Uhh...No"
*BANG*
Sabi: "Alright...what about you?"
Crash: *Starts crying*

EDIT: Also. I can't believe I made the cut for Fatman Unchained! Thanks MisterMike MisterMike

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but weren't you the guy who was so sure that Lloyd wouldn't be the tales rep that if we got him instead of Yuri you'd buy us all the mii costumes that came with him?
Me buying all the Mii costumes was a joke, that said I'd probably buy all the Tales Mii costumes if Yuri/Lloyd/Luke got in.

And I've been on the Lloyd/Tales of train since day 1. I just hate when people talk about Lloyd, and completely ignore the fact that Yuri has a just as much a shot.

That said, Yuri>Lloyd if we're talking about a rep that better represents Tales of; and I've talked about it many times before.

EDIT: And I never said I would buy anyone else any Tales costumes, just myself. If Lloyd gets in, Yuri will 100% be a costume so I would buy the costumes for him anyways.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Sabi has a check list in one hand and a gun in the other.

Sabi: "Are you Fighter 5?"
Ryu H: "Uhh...No"
*BANG*
Sabi: "Alright...what about you?"
Crash: *Starts crying*
Judge: Has the jury reached a verdict?
Jury: Yes your honor. In the murder of 10 potential newcomers. We find the defendant Sabi gu-
Switch_PhoenixWrightAceAttorneyTrilogy_screen_01.jpg

D

Deleted member

Sabi and Vergeben are on a hunting spree able to Disconfirm any character potentially for fighter #5.

I want Lloyd in I love Tales of Symphonia so I'd be really happy for his inclusion. If he isn't coming or it's Nightmare from Soul Caliber that's fine.

I'd be cool with him too.

But I honestly don't care who it is at this point. So long as their a good character, and fun in their own way.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

That is all. Carry on.
I use disconfirm and its extensions alike. You aren't alone on that one.

D

Deleted member

https://t.co/laXjkcFqYF

An accurate description of what's happening now. Heh.

Full credit to Monkey D. Lenny someone on Sabi's twitter that posted this.

Also if Lloyd is facing disconfirmation it'd be a hard pill to sallow. But I'd accept and move on. Still want him in still has my support.He still has a chance He always wil have my support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
Can I ask a sincere question? Has there ever been a character on as many leaks as Geno? It seems like every single Smash leak I look at has him in it, along with other popular picks. I wasn't big on Smash speculation back in the brawl days, since I was way too young at the time and never used forums like this.

D

Deleted member

Can I ask a sincere question? Has there ever been a character on as many leaks as Geno? It seems like every single Smash leak I look at has him in it, along with other popular picks. I wasn't big on Smash speculation back in the brawl days, since I was way too young at the time and never used forums like this.
Ridley comes to mind, but often times they shared the "leak". At one point or another, they have both been "how to tell the leak is fake".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom