• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

One of my biggest problems with Joker v Hero matches is that it's hard to tell which character is which sometimes. All these anime characters look the same smh

Have you done anything here besides hate on Lloyd? Like people give other users grief a lot here (not getting into that) but everyone else still contributes to discussion. You just rag on one character.
I mean if we’re being honest here there isn’t really much relevant discussion to be had. Everything that can be said just already been exhausted. Also you’re implying only people with positive opinions can contribute to a discussion. Also, I’ve always advocated for a female character or playstation character.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Wow this thread went to **** fast after Lloyd debates happened.

All i’ll say is that most people who whine “waaah anime sword man bad” probably want Isaac or Sora at the same time.
in the interest of fairness, the people who want isaac want him for his psyenergy powers and djinn. The fact that he carries a sword is entirely coincidental. Though, by that same token, I'm certain there's more to lloyd than his dual wielding katanas (though I don't know what it is)

OffBi

Smash Ace
People that think that Lloyd is the 5th fighter are the same people that think that monster hunter is getting in smash

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
in the interest of fairness, the people who want isaac want him for his psyenergy powers and djinn. The fact that he carries a sword is entirely coincidental. Though, by that same token, I'm certain there's more to lloyd than his dual wielding katanas (though I don't know what it is)
As a Tales fans I can tell you no he pretty much relies exclusively on sword techniques. Some can have magical properties but it's all sword all the time.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I mean if we’re being honest here there isn’t really much relevant discussion to be had. Everything that can be said just already been exhausted. Also you’re implying only people with positive opinions can contribute to a discussion. Also, I’ve always advocated for a female character or playstation character.
You're completely correct on your first point, I can't argue there. As for the second one, I can see where I came off that way but literally the only posts I ever saw were you hating on Lloyd. If I missed anything, that's my bad. I don't mean to say people cant have negative opinions, but every post being anti the same exact thing =/= no negative opinions allowed. Once again though, I dont mean to sound like Im thought policeing, sorry if I did.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
People that think that Lloyd is the 5th fighter are the same people that think that monster hunter is getting in smash
Can we not aim for low effort zingers just to say you don't like a character. It's cool if you don't. I don't like Lloyd and I explained why without trying to talk down others or insult the character. You can at least explain why in a nice manner.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I do now and always have valued Fatman's informed opinion, but unless someone outright confirms Lloyd is Fighter 5, I wouldn't put any stock in him as Fighter 5. As part of the pass, there's a lot working against him.
Like what? He's heavily rumoured in inside circles, fits with several theories (Power of Six and the Thank You Theory), is a popular request who has been around in force since Brawl, has a missing Mii Costume, his parent company is lacking a second rep despite helping Sakurai make the game, and if you really wanna get into conspiracy theory levels there's Sakurai's tangent about talking to Namco, which could be seen as a point for his inclusion (even if you or I may not think the same way). He's looking pretty good, dude.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I might have. But it's kinda hard to know for sure right now. I still might have pointed it out, but maybe not have treated it as a big deal. I dunno.
Can we not aim for low effort zingers just to say you don't like a character. It's cool if you don't. I don't like Lloyd and I explained why without trying to talk down others or insult the character. You can at least explain why in a nice manner.
Can we all take a second to learn from MissingGlitch MissingGlitch please? The level of honesty and fairness in posts like these is quite uncommon on the internet.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Put them in the same art style, which Ultimate will do, and yes they look the same

You genuinely believe that the Fire Emblem characters cannot be differentiated? And if Lloyd was added, he'd fall in that category?

That says more about the ability (or lack thereof) to make a distinction and less about the character's designs (both appearance-wise and mannerism-wise), even if they're portrayed in Ultimate's style.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's kind ironic that people get so heated about this argument when similar character designs have been a thing forever. Samus, Masterchief, and Doom Slayer are all very obviously inspired by Bobba Fett. Sonic was literally inspired by Mickey Mouse and Sonic in turn inspired characters like Banjo and Crash. People are dumping on Lloyd but he merely follows the "basic blue print" of a video game swordsmen protagonist. Cloud was inspired by Link. Unique hair or headwear? Check. Unique sword? Check. Boots? Check. Prominent belts or zippers? Check. We're talking about something that's been standard for over 30 years. It's not that big of a deal.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Here's why I think that Lloyd isn't the final fighter in the pass.
Imagine this scenario if there wasn't more DLC:
In the hero presentation, Geno gets mii costumed, and people are sad. But Lloyd?
He doesn't get mii costumed, so this causes people to be angry. See where I'm going with this? Why should Lloyd get the special treatment then, hnmm?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's kind ironic that people get so heated about this argument when similar character designs have been a thing forever. Samus, Masterchief, and Doom Slayer are all very obviously inspired by Bobba Fett. Sonic was literally inspired by Mickey Mouse and Sonic in turn inspired characters like Banjo and Crash. People are dumping on Lloyd but he merely follows the "basic blue print" of a video game swordsmen protagonist. Cloud was inspired by Link. Unique hair or headwear? Check. Unique sword? Check. Boots? Check. Prominent belts or zippers? Check. We're talking about something that's been standard for over 30 years. It's not that big of a deal.
Well no it's a huge deal because we must have fallacies to tear down characters we don't want to feel more secure about the chances they won't make it or characters we want will.

In the hero presentation, Geno gets mii costumed, and people are sad. But Lloyd?
He doesn't get mii costumed, so this causes people to be angry. See where I'm going with this? Why should Lloyd get the special treatment then, hnmm?
I get your line of logic and I respect it. If I'm being honest you are correct a character like Geno should take precedence since the community has begged for him but the world doesn't work that way and so my counter point: :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's fair enough to not be interested in more anime sword characters, everyone has character archetypes they like and dislike, and given this is a western board it's inevitable that there will be a fair share of people who don't resonate with such distinctively Japanese characters. I don't even think it's necessarily about oversaturation either, there was a post at one point in the Newcomer Speculation thread which compiled Japanese reactions to Doomguy being rumored, and lots of them didn't dig him at all due to him being a typically gritty western gun character, which is not only far from an oversaturated archetype on the roster, but it's also something people around these parts don't even begin to think of as an issue since it's just our standard. The whole anime aesthetic is Japan's standard, and since this is a game developed in Japan, it's only natural that these types of characters will always be under consideration.

With all that said, you always need to remember to express your opinion respectfully, we've got so many different opinions cooking on this forum, so if you don't you'll quickly make a lot of enemies. I don't agree with the opinion personally (Black Knight and Edelgard are among my most wanted), but I still respect it as I used to be there myself, so I see where it's coming from, but at the very least you gotta deliver it well and have your arguments in order.

Last edited:

You genuinely believe that the Fire Emblem characters cannot be differentiated? And if Lloyd was added, he'd fall in that category?

That says more about the ability (or lack thereof) to make a distinction and less about the character's designs (both appearance-wise and mannerism-wise), even if they're portrayed in Ultimate's style.
I mean I’m not in the minority in regards to that opinion so I don’t know what to tell you. Corrin still gets hate to this day even lol. All I’m saying is if we didn’t get another anime-esque swordsman the world wouldn’t flinch.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
By that logic, K Rool, Isabelle, Dark Samus, and Chrom should still be costumes and assist trophies. After all, it’d make the fans of Protoman and Samurai Goroh mad if other characters got upgraded but not theirs.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
With all that said, you always need to remember to express your opinion respectfully, we've got so many different opinions cooking on this forum, so if you don't you'll quickly make a lot of enemies. I don't agree with the opinion personally (Black Knight and Edelgard are among my most wanted), but I still respect it as I used to be there myself, so I see where it's coming from, but at the very least you gotta deliver it well and have your arguments in order.
Claude is still the best Lord in 3H. :ultpacman:

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I love the definition of anime people have in the smash fanbase. FE was not even loosely similar to anime style until very recently, Cloud or Shulk being "anime" is a bad joke. Kratos and Master Chief are as close to anime style as most of the ones people complain about.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Since I'll be going to sleep soon, if Lloyd gets deconfirmed by Sabi, I'll say, with the biggest smug on my face, told you so

I love the definition of anime people have in the smash fanbase. FE was not even loosely similar to anime style until very recently, Cloud or Shulk being "anime" is a bad joke. Kratos and Master Chief are as close to anime style as most of the ones people complain about.
Kratos for Smash

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
A friend of mine was so offended that I have never played the Tales series and didn't care for Lloyd so thry got me Tales on steam. I gotta play it now. No excuses now I guess. But the steam description is so funny. "It's a PC Port of a PS3 port of a Gamecube game"
Steam_2019-11-26_14-56-59__01.png

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Im not gonna get involved in this argument, but I do strongly support Lloyd, he’s either my #3 or 4. (Can’t decide between him and Chief)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Since I'll be going to sleep soon, if Lloyd gets deconfirmed by Sabi, I'll say, with the biggest smug on my face, told you so
...can you not, please? This "Heh, told ya so"-attitude is the last thing we need on a speculation centered forum.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Three points:

1. The evidence both public and private for Lloyd is pretty staggering. Of the 10 characters we've heard and actually take seriously, he has the most positive evidence and has been part of the conversation for over a year.

2. Lloyd's never really been pushed like Steve. The misinformation campaign for Steve was very aggressive, with people even claiming Microsoft made fake screenshots and videos to trick people in hard backing Steve. Information about Lloyd has been gradual and consistent. If Lloyd is someone gently putting grapes in your hand one grape at a time, Steve was smashing a watermelon over your head.

3. Nightmare is very new. For Namco, it was pretty much always between Tales or Tekken with Sakurai personally commenting on both series. Tekken, however, has had a number of complications both public and private, one of the most notorious being Sakurai mentioning that implementing Tekken characters into Smash would be incredibly difficult. With Heihachi not being heard in insider conversations, it was largely assumed that Lloyd has simply "won out."

I almost see Nightmare as "forced" competition and a personal theory of mine is that it's a Sans/Paragon situation and he's coming as a new Mii costume. Despite my thoughts, I don't totally rule out that he's potentially playable either, after all, Soul Caliber is still one of Namco's longest running and iconic series so a SC rep wouldn't be that unusual in the grand scheme of things.
Staggering evidence?

I am not against Lloyd by any means. In fact, I just started playing Symphonia.

However, while I agree he is likely, I simply don’t see how he is anymore likely than Heihachi for FP5. Can you please lay out this “staggering evidence”?

And don’t say that the trademarks are evidence, they more likely than not have nothing to do with his chances.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Imagine being that petty to post this, but since you honestly believed Gordon Freeman had a real chance based off clearly a fake leaker as well as being rather rude to people like fatman with your demands, I don't expect you to make the best decisions.

Staggering evidence?

However, while I agree he is likely, I simply don’t see how he is anymore likely than Heihachi for FP5. Can you please lay out this “staggering evidence”?

And don’t say that the trademarks are evidence, they more likely than not have nothing to do with his chances.
I'm sorry, you DON'T consider trademarks that haven't been used for anything INCLUDING their most recent game announcement evidence?

Imagine applying this to all the crazy stuff that came out for B&K before their announcement, like the sudden surge of merchandise and the whole Lootbox change and tweet removal. With that perspective, B&K NEVER had a chance and we should have never seen them coming.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
A friend of mine was so offended that I have never played the Tales series and didn't care for Lloyd so they got me Tales on steam.
Wow, that's a pretty cool friend you have if I tried something like with my friend the phrase "must suck to suck" would probably be brandied about. I hope you enjoy.
Staggering evidence?

From the none leaker side of things Heihachi was stated to possibly be hard to implement. That's it. That's all it took for most people to discount him. And Pac taunt.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Staggering evidence?

Dude did Fatman kick your dog or something? You seem determined to not believe a word he says and when he does present detailed evidence it appears to go in one ear and out the other.

OffBi

Smash Ace
Imagine being that petty to post this, but since you honestly believed Gordon Freeman had a real chance based off clearly a fake leaker as well as being rather rude to people like fatman with your demands, I don't expect you to make the best decisions.

I'm sorry, you DON'T consider trademarks that haven't been used for anything INCLUDING their most recent game announcement evidence?

Imagine applying this to all the crazy stuff that came out for B&K before their announcement, like the sudden surge of merchandise and the whole Lootbox change and tweet removal. With that perspective, B&K NEVER had a chance and we should have never seen them coming.
First of all, I didn't believe that leaker, since I knew he copied vnn info, and second of all, yes I am posting that

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
To be fair about trademarks....games like Golden Sun got trademarks during the Grinch leak period and Isaac got an assist trophy.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
To be fair about trademarks....games like Golden Sun got trademarks during the Grinch leak period and Isaac got an assist trophy.
True, but the difference here is the trademark in the images we saw.

Still wanting for the Golden Sun announcement btw. I would expect something in 2020.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
honestly not in the least bit interested in Lloyd as a playable character but the idea of him being included and bringing back the three missing Bamco costumes and shrinking the list of missing Mii costumes even further definitely intrigues me. The smaller that list is, the more likely it seems to me that they wouldn't unceremoniously leave any of them out. Bring in a Capcom character and the two megaman costumes/MH costume, all that's left is Geno and Chocobo, and I've got a good feeling that if Lloyd can be upgraded so can Geno from that point

Bring on Lloyd, I say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom