• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Like what? He's heavily rumoured in inside circles, fits with several theories (Power of Six and the Thank You Theory), is a popular request who has been around in force since Brawl, has a missing Mii Costume, his parent company is lacking a second rep despite helping Sakurai make the game, and if you really wanna get into conspiracy theory levels there's Sakurai's tangent about talking to Namco, which could be seen as a point for his inclusion (even if you or I may not think the same way). He's looking pretty good, dude.
One of us misunderstands the power of six theory. By my grasp of it, there were supposed to be six mii costumes with each character, which would have managed to bring back every Smash 4 costume plus introduce new ones, while leaving us with this 5/10 DLC as the end. The fact that suddenly, some went missing, is supposed to be hope for those who have not been costume'd again to be part of the next wave of DLC as full fledged characters. Combine this theory with the fact that we have so far gotten characters/franchises who are indeed completely new to Smash, and the most likely situation is that Lloyd was going to come back in all of his costume glory with either some swordfighter, or a Namco rep, and Lloyd fans would join us Geno boys in infinite tears.

I'm not doubting a Namco rep as #5. These characters are not locked to brand new third party representation. I am doubting Lloyd because he existed in some way in Smash before Ultimate. If you're under some misunderstanding that I doubt him at all, that's on you, because I recognize him as a possibility post-pass.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To be honest, I've no issue with Lloyd. I know the character's been wanted since the Brawl days much like Isaac was, but I question whether or not he will be part of the Fighter Pass and that he might be part of season 2 given Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's comments on the second season being more fanservicey.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Dude did Fatman kick your dog or something? You seem determined to not believe a word he says and when he does present detailed evidence it appears to go in one ear and out the other.
Isn’t skepticism a natural part of speculation?

We are in a post Grinch era of Smash, it is only natural to be skeptical of every insider that claims to have information. That is why I ask as many questions as I possibly can. To see if there are any holes in their claims, and whether or not they can be trusted.

EDIT: I know that I did give the Gordon leak the benefit of the doubt, but that was only because of what Sabi said at the time. And even then, I still thought that it was most likely fake.

Imagine being that petty to post this, but since you honestly believed Gordon Freeman had a real chance based off clearly a fake leaker as well as being rather rude to people like fatman with your demands, I don't expect you to make the best decisions.

I'm sorry, you DON'T consider trademarks that haven't been used for anything INCLUDING their most recent game announcement evidence?

Imagine applying this to all the crazy stuff that came out for B&K before their announcement, like the sudden surge of merchandise and the whole Lootbox change and tweet removal. With that perspective, B&K NEVER had a chance and we should have never seen them coming.
Both situations are completely uncomparable. Last time I checked, none of that stuff has happened to Lloyd.

And I specifically remember there being trademarks filed for Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven right before the Grinch leak, and pro Grinch people took that and ran with it.

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Oh no. Guys, genuinely please no. There is a difference between saying your dislike for a character and actively rooting and liking them being not playable. I've said this before, but this is the type of behavior the Smash fanbase is notorious for. Sakurai wants Smash to be fun, not for its fans to be tribalistic gatekeepers who crap on others' hopes and desires.

OffBi OffBi , dude, c'mon why do you have to act like that? How would you feel if someone took a bunch of dumps on your wanted character and then laugh when they don't get in? C'mon dude, I don't even have any attachment to Lloyd and that's just immature. Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in , why do you have to have this similar behavior as well? If people like you, OffBi, and wynn728 wynn728 are gonna act as you do, then just leave. Hardly anyone will bat an eyelash because the behavior you're displaying is just straight up rude.

wynn728 wynn728 leave the thread if you're gonna keep complaining. Every post is complaining. Will you get it through your skull that hardly ANYONE likes your behavior? Just leave if you're going to continue this nonsense every day. If you think Geno isn't gonna make it in and INSIST on repeating that at NAUSEAM, then why the heck are you still here?! I don't even have an attachment to Geno, but at least I think he'll get in and am rooting for his fans. Just leave and go sit in your isolated echo chamber alone already.

Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in and OffBi OffBi , you guys have had less egregious posts than wynn, but at least he never actively was going to smile at other people for being upset. Again, I don't say this as someone who even really knows about Tales of that much, but you guys are being a bit rude. Why give into the stereotype that gives the Smash fanbase a bad name? I'm not trying to be your dad or condensing, but this is behavior no really wants to be around. So if you're gonna continue to act like that, then just leave. See what I'm doing? I have NO ATTACHMENT to Geno NOR Lloyd, but I will never ever root against them. Or ANY character for that matter. Rather than piss about because MY character didn't get in or because Sakurai did something I didn't want, I am trying to be happy for groups who DO want those things. Maybe stop thinking about yourselves and do the same. I'm certainly not perfect, but at least I understand that this is a bloody video game and won't crap on people when talking about it.

All three of you make this thread miserable. If you guys genuinely change your behavior ( wynn728 wynn728 ) then please stay. But if you're not gonna change your behavior, then buzz off.

Last edited:

OffBi

Smash Ace
Oh no. Guys, genuinely please no. There is a difference between saying your dislike for a character and actively rooting and liking them being not playable. I've said this before, but this is the type of behavior the Smash fanbase is notorious for.

OffBi OffBi , dude, c'mon why do you have to act like that? How would you feel if someone took a bunch of dumps on your wanted character and then laugh when they don't get in? C'mon dude, I don't even have any attachment to Lloyd and that's just immature. Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in , why do you have to have this similar behavior as well? If people like you, OffBi, and wynn728 wynn728 are gonna act as you do, then just leave. Hardly anyone will bat an eyelash because the behavior you're displaying is just straight up rude.

wynn728 wynn728 leave the thread if you're gonna keep complaining. Every post is complaining. If you think Geno isn't gonna make it in, leave and go sit in your isolated echo chamber alone.

Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in and OffBi OffBi , you guys have had less egregious posts than wynn, but at least he never actively was going to smile at other people for being upset. Again, I don't say this as someone who even really knows about Tales of that much, but you guys are being a bit rude. Why give into the stereotype that gives the Smash fanbase a bad name? I'm not trying to be your dad or condensing, but this is behavior no really wants to be around. So if you're gonna continue to act like that, then just leave.
Alright fine mom! :ultpacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People don’t have to like the character if they want. Not everyone’s going to like him and that’s fine.

If he is disconfirmned fine. I still support him and still believe his chances are good I’ll be happy if he’s in.,

Not everyone’s going to be happy but hey that’s okay not everyone has to like every character.

I want him in I’m happy if Lloyd’s in. But that’s just me.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh no. Guys, genuinely please no. There is a difference between saying your dislike for a character and actively rooting and liking them being not playable. I've said this before, but this is the type of behavior the Smash fanbase is notorious for.

wynn728 wynn728 leave the thread if you're gonna keep complaining. Every post is complaining. If you think Geno isn't gonna make it in, leave and go sit in your isolated echo chamber alone.

Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in and OffBi OffBi , you guys have had less egregious posts than wynn, but at least he never actively was going to smile at other people for being upset. Again, I don't say this as someone who even really knows about Tales of that much, but you guys are being a bit rude. Why give into the stereotype that gives the Smash fanbase a bad name? I'm not trying to be your dad or condensing, but this is behavior no really wants to be around. So if you're gonna continue to act like that, then just leave.
Just gonna say, mods n staff are not okay with telling people to leave.

What I would encourage is to just Ignore them, though I'm not doing so for OffBi because they are occasionally entertaining.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I don't even care about "genericness" or "all Swordies play the same" or whatnot cause let's face it I and I'm sure a lot of people thought the same about Hero and you know what happened? I'd argue he has the most unique and distinct moveset out of the DLC so far and he's a swordie.

We can perhaps educate and theorize on their movesets but until Sakurai shows off the character we won't know how distinct a character could be swordie or not. I really don't care about this argument anymore I personally think it died with Hero.
Honestly everything about Hero other than his spell list felt like a combination of Link and Robin. Which is exactly what I thought he’d be and why I was hoping Slime would be the DQ rep instead. It’s isn’t the worst thing if you’re into that specific playstyle but Joker, Banjo, and Terry all feel way more distinct to me.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Isn’t skepticism a natural part of speculation?

We are in a post Grinch era of Smash, it is only natural to be skeptical of every insider that claims to have information. That is why I ask as many questions as I possibly can. To see if there are any holes in their claims, and whether or not they can be trusted.
To be fair, weren’t the actual insiders 100% on the money with the Grinch Leak?

But joking aside, I totally understand skepticism, it’s a healthy mindset when it comes to speculation. But, from my observation, it legitimately seems like you’re ignoring evidence presented to you for the purpose of not believing what we’re being told. Just as an example, you said “Lloyd is no more likely than Heihachi” when earlier today Fatman gave some pretty solid details on why the insiders aren’t considering Heihachi likely at all. So like, I respect the whole investigative journalist angle, but I don’t fully understand your technique.

Oh no. Guys, genuinely please no. There is a difference between saying your dislike for a character and actively rooting and liking them being not playable. I've said this before, but this is the type of behavior the Smash fanbase is notorious for. Sakurai wants Smash to be fun, not for its fans to be tribalistic gatekeepers who crap on others' hopes and desires.

wynn728 wynn728 leave the thread if you're gonna keep complaining. Every post is complaining. Will you get it through your skull that hardly ANYONE likes your behavior? Just leave if you're going to continue this nonsense every day. If you think Geno isn't gonna make it in and INSIST on repeating that at NAUSEAM, then why the heck are you still here?! I don't even have an attachment to Geno, but at least I think he'll get in and am rooting for his fans. Just leave and go sit in your isolated echo chamber alone already.

Waluigi is not getting in Waluigi is not getting in and OffBi OffBi , you guys have had less egregious posts than wynn, but at least he never actively was going to smile at other people for being upset. Again, I don't say this as someone who even really knows about Tales of that much, but you guys are being a bit rude. Why give into the stereotype that gives the Smash fanbase a bad name? I'm not trying to be your dad or condensing, but this is behavior no really wants to be around. So if you're gonna continue to act like that, then just leave. See what I'm doing? I have NO ATTACHMENT to Geno NOR Lloyd, but I will never ever root against them. Or ANY character for that matter. Rather than piss about because MY character didn't get in or because Sakurai did something I didn't want, I am trying to be happy for groups who DO want those things. Maybe stop thinking about yourselves and do the same. I'm certainly not perfect, but at least I understand that this is a bloody video game and won't crap on people when talking about it.

All three of you make this thread miserable. If you guys genuinely change your behavior ( wynn728 wynn728 ) then please stay. But if you're not gonna change your behavior, then buzz off.
My mother always told me to smile and put on a happy face. She told me i had a purpose...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, weren’t the actual insiders 100% on the money with the Grinch Leak?

But joking aside, I totally understand skepticism, it’s a healthy mindset when it comes to speculation. But, from my observation, it legitimately seems like you’re ignoring evidence presented to you for the purpose of not believing what we’re being told. Just as an example, you said “Lloyd is no more likely than Heihachi” when earlier today Fatman gave some pretty solid details on why the insiders aren’t considering Heihachi likely at all. So like, I respect the whole investigative journalist angle, but I don’t fully understand your technique.
I didn’t see Fatmans post on the subject, could you link the post you are talking about?

Plank08

Smash Lord

Ok so now my most likely list looks like this:

More Realistic Roster:

DLC characters we have already:
Pirahna Plant
Joker
Hero
Terry

11 more characters and 1 Secret Character:

Fighters Pass:
Lloyd Irving

Challengers Pass(5 Characters)
Geno
Doomslayer
Sol Badguy
Shantae
Dante

Fighter Pass 3( 5 Characters)
Ryu Hayabusa
Nightmare
Steve
Edelgard
Crash Bandicoot

just thinking of how our final DLC lineup could be somewhat like this...so good
Can I please have that template?

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I realize now that some people have next to no satisfaction in life, so they choose to get pleasure by ticking off people regarding a children's fighting game. Must be a sad existence to pass the time by ticking others off...

Normally I'm not so brazen, but the amount of pettiness and gatekeeping is not worthy of politeness. Don't worry, I understand some people better now. ;)

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Indeed, it must be. My life sucks, but I don't resort to ticking people off to making me feel better

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I didn’t see Fatmans post on the subject, could you link the post you are talking about?
It’s the one you replied to in the first place lol. And don’t get me wrong, I understand wanting more details than what we get, but I don’t think interrogation is the way to go.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Alas, I, myself, live the simple life. I see Smash speculation, I bark about it, and run in theoretical circles until a leak is real or I fall down. Rinse, repeat, woof. :ultduckhunt:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I only like to lurk and observe this thread for the good trash, but when people start quoting Joker, I have to crawl out of the abyss to ask "why tho".

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This thread went to hell in a hand basket and I'm about to whap y'all with the shiny Scorbunny I just hatched after 1400 eggs

No I am not ecstatic right now I'm very ecstatic but nawh, y'all gotta chill

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Wow this thread went to **** fast after Lloyd debates happened.

All i’ll say is that most people who whine “waaah anime sword man bad” probably want Isaac or Sora at the same time.
Isaac would use terraforming along with his sword and Sora doesn't even have a sword, he has a giant ass key. This doesn't pass my smell test.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It’s the one you replied to in the first place lol. And don’t get me wrong, I understand wanting more details than what we get, but I don’t think interrogation is the way to go.
I think that is one of the reasons why I am so doubtful of him, he can be very vague about the information he gets. Any leak or leaker that creates more questions than answers is an instant red flag for me.

With people like Vergeben, from what I’ve seen, there is no “maybe this”, or “maybe that”. When he finds out who the character is, he reveals them right away, no questions asked.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This thread went to hell in a hand basket and I'm about to whap y'all with the shiny Scorbunny I just hatched after 1400 eggs

No I am not ecstatic right now I'm very ecstatic but nawh, y'all gotta chill
Yes hi. I am an officially licenced shiny Pokemon inspector. You're going to have to hand that Shiny Scorbunny over to me Ma'am so I can check it's authenticity.

This is not a trick. I am legit. Trust me.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
It's kind ironic that people get so heated about this argument when similar character designs have been a thing forever. Samus, Masterchief, and Doom Slayer are all very obviously inspired by Bobba Fett. Sonic was literally inspired by Mickey Mouse and Sonic in turn inspired characters like Banjo and Crash. People are dumping on Lloyd but he merely follows the "basic blue print" of a video game swordsmen protagonist. Cloud was inspired by Link. Unique hair or headwear? Check. Unique sword? Check. Boots? Check. Prominent belts or zippers? Check. We're talking about something that's been standard for over 30 years. It's not that big of a deal.
Not to sidetrack too much, but it's also possible Doomguy's helmet was inspired from a Casio watch. We were kind of laughing about this over on Doomworld not too long ago.

As for his 2016/Eternal design...I dunno. :samus:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Here's the thing about Lloyd, there's other Tales of characters that would better to use and there's an over saturation of JRPG characters for this Fighters Pass.
Tales of Vesperia did launch the Tales of series to new height so Yuri should've been chosen over Lloyd, especially since Yuri is used more often and has became the face of the Tales series (that plus I think Yuri just has a better design than Lloyd).
Velvet Crowe would've been great since she a great moveset that would stand out from the current characters in the roster and also include more female characters.
Right now the only thing that Lloyd had going for him is being the only character in Smash Bros who would use two swords.

Right now there an over saturation of JRPG with the Fighters Pass. For a series that meant to celebrate video games it seems to only cater to one genre of video games as of now, and this was potentially going to be the last DLC for Smash Bros Ultimate. Plus it's a little disappointing that they're going to announce a character like Lloyd at the very end of the VGA. Joker was that perfect announcement for the VGA, Lloyd just doesn't fill that role. If anything Dante would've fit those shoes well but he ain't ever getting into Smash Bros so that ship as sailed.

Over all this is just meh.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here's the thing about Lloyd, there's other Tales of characters that would better to use and there's an over saturation of JRPG characters for this Fighters Pass.
Tales of Vesperia did launch the Tales of series to new height so Yuri should've been chosen over Lloyd, especially since Yuri is used more often and has became the face of the Tales series (that plus I think Yuri just has a better design than Lloyd).
Velvet Crowe would've been great since she a great moveset that would stand out from the current characters in the roster and also include more female characters.
Right now the only thing that Lloyd had going for him is being the only character in Smash Bros who would use two swords.

Right now there an over saturation of JRPG with the Fighters Pass. For a series that meant to celebrate video games it seems to only cater to one genre of video games as of now, and this was potentially going to be the last DLC for Smash Bros Ultimate. Plus it's a little disappointing that they're going to announce a character like Lloyd at the very end of the VGA. Joker was that perfect announcement for the VGA, Lloyd just doesn't fill that role. If anything Dante would've fit those shoes well but he ain't ever getting into Smash Bros so that ship as sailed.

Nothing is confirmed yet. Fatman even said that someone completely random was just as likely as Lloyd.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I hope we get a third pass so sakurai could consider throwing indies a bone.

Also; My problem is less "swordsmen" and more "feeling like a fire emblem character" tbh. I just think there's so much copied moves in that franchise that it's a bit of a turn off to me. The worst thing for a game like smash is to have three or four characters who are slight variations on eachother.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Well if it makes you feel any better lloyd was a really requested character. So that another example of sakurai lesioning to fans sooooooo. its fine. Assuming lloyd is number 5 that is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Plus Sabi is looking into this entire thing she could easily disconfirm Lloyd for fighter 5 soon.

Guess we’ll know in time.

Regardless I’m excited if he’s in but also excited about the future characters we could get as well.,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom