• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here is the main reason why I am so skeptical of Lloyd being FP5.

Right after Joker was revealed, Reggie stated that Sakurai was looking for characters that would bring something new to the table. So far, each fighter has had their own special gimmick with them that no other fighter has.

From what I’ve seen and read about Lloyd, from some of his supporters no less if I’m not mistaken, he apparently uses his sword almost entirely for his attacks, and doesn’t even use magic.

I could be very wrong, but taking this in account, if Lloyd is in, I think he will most likely be post pass.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Right after Joker was revealed, Reggie stated that Sakurai was looking for characters that would bring something new to the table. So far, each fighter has had their own special gimmick with them that no other fighter has.

From what I’ve seen and read about Lloyd, from some of his supporters no less if I’m not mistaken, he apparently uses his sword almost entirely for his attacks, and doesn’t even use magic.

I could be very wrong, but taking this in account, if Lloyd is in, I think he will most likely be post pass.

I mean banjo does not really bring anything new to the table. No wonderwing is not special it only has a limit to balance the move. Banjo feels like a regular smash bros fighter he does not really have any crazy gimmicks like joker of terry does.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

I mean he does but that assumes you can't do anything with just a sword. The Tales series and even just Llyod's game has plenty to offer in terms of moveset with just his sword. So if you are discounting him for a lack of gimmick potential you need to find a new reason because there's plenty

Last edited:

Kewl0210

Smash Apprentice
My mindset is generally that if I were Sakurai designing the game, who could I add that would be unique, and not feel like a "variant" of another character or a combination of existing moves from other characters (With the exception being Echo fighters and the Villager-Isabelle thing). That's kinda why another RPG swordfighter wouldn't be my most expected one. But... well Pac-man is in this game and he punches people with pixelated ghosts, so who can say.

D

Deleted member

Yeah Lloyd is fine by me and one of my preferred characters for #5 that aren't Reimu or Geno so I'm fine with him and his fanbase is pretty chill so I'm more than fine with them getting who they want.

I'm just ready to move on-to post-pass DLC anyways so I don't really care who #5 is unless it is Lloyd or someone who may give credit to Fatman's theory on them using left over resources for the next two characters in which case it would be Lloyd/some other leftover resource and hopefully Geno.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I think that is one of the reasons why I am so doubtful of him, he can be very vague about the information he gets. Any leak or leaker that creates more questions than answers is an instant red flag for me.

With people like Vergeben, from what I’ve seen, there is no “maybe this”, or “maybe that”. When he finds out who the character is, he reveals them right away, no questions asked.
I see where you’re coming from, but I think you have an idealized illusion of how people like Verge work. Any “leaker” gets info like what Fatman tells us, the difference is that Fatman shares the whole process. I guarantee you that Verge and Sabi absolutely do not just “find out who a character is and share it right away”, it’s a process of hearing names from different sources over a period of time and vetting out what’s real and what’s fake, and then only when they’re certain enough that they have something real do they share it and say “this is legit.”

And remember how that went with Verge and Steve?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Did Fatman ever make a stance on Pheonix Wright? IIRC he said a Capcom rep wasn't likely until E3 but I might be mistaken.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Hopefully Fatmanonice will release his Lloyd evidence soon to clear the air. Let's not rush him though, we're lucky to have him!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't understand what's this fatman "evidence" on lloyd you all are talking about. Whatever he ACTUALLY hears in the private group, I will hear it too. So far, there has been nothing new in all day. Not from NoA nor Sabi.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I see where you’re coming from, but I think you have an idealized illusion of how people like Verge work. Any “leaker” gets info like what Fatman tells us, the difference is that Fatman shares the whole process. I guarantee you that Verge and Sabi absolutely do not just “find out who a character is and share it right away”, it’s a process of hearing names from different sources over a period of time and vetting out what’s real and what’s fake, and then only when they’re certain enough that they have something real do they share it and say “this is legit.”

And remember how that went with Verge and Steve?

Ironically enough, everything that you stated falls in line with why I trust him more than any other insider.

He doesn’t go and share literally every single name that he hears publicly, its only when he knows without a doubt who the character is.

The problem with the way Fatman handles leaks is that he shares nearly every single name he hears. That is why I was suspicious of them being leakbait earlier. Could you imagine how chaotic speculation would be if Vergeben was like “its Ryu Hayabusa, no wait its Lloyd! Or maybe its either Nightmare or Sol!”

There is a reason why Vergeben handles leaking the way he does, to avoid this confusion over the names he presents.

Also, he never mentioned Steves name. All he ever said was that Minecraft content was likely, not that Steve was coming.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well if it makes you feel any better lloyd was a really requested character. So that another example of sakurai lesioning to fans sooooooo. its fine. Assuming lloyd is number 5 that is.
Oh yeah, so that means Lloyd ain't getting in.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I don't understand what's this fatman "evidence" on lloyd you all are talking about. Whatever he ACTUALLY hears in the private group, I will hear it too. So far, there has been nothing new in all day. Not from NoA nor Sabi.
Fatman is saying that from what you’ve all heard in the backroom insider stuff, the undisputed frontrunners are either Lloyd or an absolutely unknown wildcard. Does this check out on your end?

link2702

Smash Champion
I mean banjo does not really bring anything new to the table. No wonderwing is not special it only has a limit to balance the move. Banjo feels like a regular smash bros fighter he does not really have any crazy gimmicks like joker of terry does.
actually wonderwing is a pretty clear gimmick. It's a move that literally makes him invincible for a lengthy amount of time while having tremendous knockback, but also has a limit for how many he has per stock(which is something no character before him has had, so he definitely "brought something new to the table"). He also has his (mostly useless) breegle blaster from neutral special.

Banjo's gimmicks might not be in your face blatant like some of the other DLC characters, and are more subtle, but they're very much gimmicks which don't feel like anything else any other smash character has had.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Ironically enough, everything that you stated falls in line with why I trust him more than any other insider.

He doesn’t go and share literally every single name that he hears publicly, its only when he knows without a doubt who the character is.

The problem with the way Fatman handles leaks is that he shares nearly every single name he hears. That is why I was suspicious of them being leakbait earlier. Could you imagine how chaotic speculation would be if Vergeben was like “its Ryu Hayabusa, no wait its Lloyd! Or maybe its either Nightmare or Sol!”

There is a reason why Vergeben handles leaking the way he does, to avoid this confusion over the names he presents.

Also, he never mentioned Steves name. All he ever said was that Minecraft content was likely, not that Steve was coming.
I feel like we’re kinda making the same point here just looking at it from different angles. Fatman isn’t a leaker, he’s literally just telling us what’s going on behind the scenes. So if you prefer the Verge style, more power to you. I’m just asking why you’re so aggressive towards the guy, cause it seems kinda unwarranted.

Fine, then how about that Minecraft content?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I feel like we’re kinda making the same point here just looking at it from different angles. Fatman isn’t a leaker, he’s literally just telling us what’s going on behind the scenes. So if you prefer the Verge style, more power to you. I’m just asking why you’re so aggressive towards the guy, cause it seems kinda unwarranted.

Fine, then how about that Minecraft content?
I do agree that could be considered a strike against him. And the Square rep being first.

However, he has not gotten a character wrong up to this point. Every character he has leaked is now on our CSS as we speak. Not to mention that Microsoft was hardcore leakbaiting Steve at the time, and he still managed to only hear about “Minecraft content” at the time, even taking this into account. And apparently Luminary was supposed to be at last years VGAs, but they switched to Joker at the very last second.

Also, I know Fatman claims to be just speculating, but idk, the way he phrases everything makes me feel like he is trying to leak character names. But maybe that is just me, idk.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not talking about today specifically. I'm talking about in general and not even necessarily "insider" info. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one piece of evidence that the NoA source shared with us that you eluded to the other day that I can't talk about here.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
No, no, character 5 is VOICED by Christopher Lloyd.

Character 5 is Lara Croft.
While the idea of Lara Croft voiced by Doc Brown is a terrifying one, his last video game role was an elderly King Graham from King’s Quest, which I would unironically be so hype for. (er, maybe not the elderly version, but you get the idea)

Really, any point-and-click adventure representation would make me go absolutely insane, but that’s basically the one genre with literally a zero percent chance of ever happening.

I do agree that could be considered a strike against him. And the Square rep being first.

However, he has not gotten a character wrong up to this point. Every character he has leaked is now on our CSS as we speak. Not to mention that Microsoft was hardcore leakbaiting Steve at the time, and he still managed to only hear about “Minecraft content” at the time, even taking this into account. And apparently Luminary was supposed to be at last years VGAs, but they switched to Joker at the very last second.

Also, I know Fatman claims to be just speculating, but idk, the way he phrases everything makes me feel like he is trying to leak character names. But maybe that is just me, idk.
To clarify, according to Sakurai himself, Nintendo specifically requested that Joker be revealed at the Game Awards, when Sakurai had no actual work done on the character at the time. That’s why we had the special animated trailer.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Well I’m glad that we managed to have what I hope was a good conversation, I feel like I better understand your viewpoint now and as a result don’t think that you are a dingus

D

Deleted member

Daily reminder Inceneroar was the last base character
thanks, doc.

Reminder that Piranha Plant was supposed to be the last base character.
even better

I hope we get a third pass so sakurai could consider throwing indies a bone.

Also; My problem is less "swordsmen" and more "feeling like a fire emblem character" tbh. I just think there's so much copied moves in that franchise that it's a bit of a turn off to me. The worst thing for a game like smash is to have three or four characters who are slight variations on eachother.
I like this a lot more than "anime swordsman" because really it's what I mean. I just don't want someone feeling like a Fire Emblem character, and I'm going to include Corrin in that. Robin, I'll consider.

Plank08

Smash Lord
If Lloyd is happening, it’s not in the fighters pass, why would the voice actor say he has a new job if the FP was finished months ago? Maybe post pass
Also the Nightmare theme is so freaking godlike that I want him in smash so I can hear it again

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I'm not talking about today specifically. I'm talking about in general and not even necessarily "insider" info. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one piece of evidence that the NoA source shared with us that you eluded to the other day that I can't talk about here.
Wait, so if I’m understanding the posts from both you and Nazyrus correctly, the only evidence you’re going off of is the NoA source saying something about how Tales news in general is coming soon, along with the trademarks? And nothing concrete has actually come out about “Lloyd in Smash”, the rest is just your own speculation?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If Lloyd is happening, it’s not in the fighters pass, why would the voice actor say he has a new job if the FP was finished months ago? Maybe post pass
Also the Nightmare theme is so freaking godlike that I want him in smash so I can hear it again
The project could be for something else, if they are remaking Symphonia for example. The tales news could be more than just lloyd in smash, you know. Also love to the Mandalorian. This is the way.

Possible change of plans... Nazyrus Nazyrus do you want to team up for the Lloyd post?
Sure I just gotta look up for everything it's known so far and try not to miss anything lol

Also yes i wouldn't call it evidence really… it's more like leads and signs, imo. If there was evidence, trust me, people would be going nuts already lol

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Because not all DLC's are developed at the exact same time?

Besides, Scott Menville was most likely not even talking about Smash but the new Batman game instead; which coincidentally happened to be rumoured at the exact same time as Scott Menville confirmed a video game role.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's a little disheartening that Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has heard no indies whatsoever..... I thought for sure this would be "the smash" to open that gateway...
Yeah especially the fact we got a Indie Assist Trophy in Shovel Knight and a Indie Mii costume in Sans. A playable Indie character I thought was going to happen at some point in Ultimate. It sucks to hear RIP Shantae, Reimu, Quote, and ect.

Convoy

Smash Apprentice
Seeing all these complaints about JRPG Swordsmen sure makes me glad Geno isn't one...
geno becomes an anime swordsman.png

OH GOD OH ****

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
The project could be for something else, if they are remaking Symphonia for example. The tales news could be more than just lloyd in smash, you know. Also love to the Mandalorian. This is the way.

Sure I just gotta look up for everything it's known so far and try not to miss anything lol

Also yes i wouldn't call it evidence really… it's more like leads and signs, imo. If there was evidence, trust me, people would be going nuts already lol
*Looks at how Geno finally has a shot*
Yes, this is the way.
OH BOY, A DOUBLE FEATURE!!
View attachment 248433
I honestly have no words at this point

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Idk if anyone has ran through this, but these are the points for Lloyd I know

1. Two new Tales of logos tradmarked. One as a series name and another as an icon. Both would work well in smash
2. Scott Menville tweets about how much he loves recording for games on national video game day. There is a picture of him in a recording booth
3. Scott follows with a tweet about a “secret project” he is working on. This wasnt for Teen Titans, and I dont believe he’s ever been Robin’s VA in a game before, so that theory has no precedent.
4. Lack of Bamco characters in their own game (not specifically for Lloyd)
5. No returning Bamco costumes, one is very likely to be promoted, and its not gonna be Gil

I’m sure theres some stuff I missed plus the insider info

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom